Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan Co. 38 Bell Co 36 OT - FRESHMAN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This was a freshman game, and I can't wait to see what next year holds with the varsity teams playing if this game was as exciting as it was!!

http://www.harlandaily.com/articles/2008...324698.txt
It WAS a very exciting game...close all the way, then OT, and then the win - oh yeah!!! :rockon: That makes twice our Freshmen have beaten Bell Co. this year. Way to go boys. Keep up the good work next year.
Dang. This is a high scoring freshman game. Great win!!
From what i was told it was a very exciting game. Bell's coaches were very pleased that it was close, good showing by the kids that played. They were not sure if they would even be competitive. They were missing some players from the first meeting. A few had quit, one talented wr moved to lexington and maybe the best freshman lb that played fb also was lost to for the season to a shoulder injury. and with the injury to Fr. RB Davenport they only had 8 freshman left healthy so a few of the Soph's that don't get any Varsity time played (mostly lineman 2 of which had to play in the backfield). I think Bell's freshman finished 5-4. Did not have many numbers coupled with Davenport not playing in many of the games it was still a sucessful season. JV finished 8-0 w/o being challenged.

I don't think Davenport played in either of the freshman games? He is a star of the future for Bell.

I too look foward to this rivalry continuing.
Protect_This_House26 Wrote:Dang. This is a high scoring freshman game. Great win!!

Yes I was suprised that Bell scored that much with only 1 RB in the game, Broughton. That kid must have carried the mail to score that much. :eek:
Harlan County's Freshmen team had a great season this year! Expect HUGE things from that group!

Why are Bell's Freshmen numbers so down this year? 7-8? That's gotta make Dudley a little nervous. You'd think more kids would want to be a part of this championship team this year.
I can't remember for sure what this one kid's number from Bell was, maybe 60, but he was absolutely HUGE....I mean HU-MON-GOUS!!! :eek:
Mama Bear Wrote:Why are Bell's Freshmen numbers so down this year? 7-8? That's gotta make Dudley a little nervous. You'd think more kids would want to be a part of this championship team this year.

They have 10 or 11 right now but a few are hurt, I think 3 but can only come up with 2 in my mind. That is about right for Bell they typically have 8-10 seniors. Last year was 6 this year 13. Big 8th grade class coming in that is very talented.

#60 is Caleb Carter I am guessing? Just recently tunred 14. He will play most of his senior year at 16. He is a big youngin. He is the nephew of Former player and current coach Arthur Carter from the early 90's.

Just remembered they do have 3 freshman out. FB Miller kid, WR Fields, and Davenport. All three are wonderful athletes and Fields, Davenport are 2 of the fastest players on the entire HS squad.
Not taking anything away from Harlan Co. but Dudley will not play all of his freshmans. Most of them, if they're that good they do not play in the freshman games. He does the same thing in JV games. For example, we probably have 5 or 6 sophmores who start or see alot of playing time in varsity and they rarely ever play in a jv game.
I like his theory on freshman and jv games, don't get caught up in them too much because the big is preparing them for the big stage. He's done it for years now. It would be interesting to go back and check their freshman and jv records over the last 20 yrs.
easyM Wrote:Not taking anything away from Harlan Co. but Dudley will not play all of his freshmans. Most of them, if they're that good they do not play in the freshman games. He does the same thing in JV games. For example, we probably have 5 or 6 sophmores who start or see alot of playing time in varsity and they rarely ever play in a jv game.
I like his theory on freshman and jv games, don't get caught up in them too much because the big is preparing them for the big stage. He's done it for years now. It would be interesting to go back and check their freshman and jv records over the last 20 yrs.

Freshman records are usually somewhat above .500 but not a lot. JV has been undefeated in 9 of the last 10 years or so. But they still don't put much emphasis on JV. Those kids never practice together and most practice on game day's when they are home JV games.
great game wish i could have been there
Reading through the posts the bottom line is that Harlan County played ALL Freshmen and Bell County played 4 SOPHS and 10 FROSH. They had 14 players dressed. HC does not rely on their FROSH to contribute against 18-19 year olds so they will play in the freshman games. Some may say Hilton doesn't put much stock into these games but one would wonder that after seeing Hilton on the sidelines getting very much into the game when it was on the LOG.
Box Top Wrote:Reading through the posts the bottom line is that Harlan County played ALL Freshmen and Bell County played 4 SOPHS and 10 FROSH. They had 14 players dressed. HC does not rely on their FROSH to contribute against 18-19 year olds so they will play in the freshman games. Some may say Hilton doesn't put much stock into these games but one would wonder that after seeing Hilton on the sidelines getting very much into the game when it was on the LOG.

Actually it was 13. 11 on the field plus 2 on the sideline equals 13. :o

Did not say he did not coach the kids there Box Top! Just the fact they don't gear the freshman and JV to winning all the games just getting better!!!! You only do that by playing and Coaching. You did not expect him to stand quietly on the sidelines and NOT COACH did you?

For years in the 90's Bell would loose to M'boro and Corbin in middle school, freshman and even JV just to turn around in Varsity and beat those teams like a DRUM. So don't get too worked up about freshman and JV results :Thumbs: .

Oh yea Box Top do you know why this game was scheduled just a week or so before the game???

I will tell you. Coach Larkey needed a game to have Homecoming for the underclassmen. Nobody else would come and play at HC. B/C Bell did not have enough freshman to field a team they agreed that a few Soph's would play for Bell.
He gets into the games because he is coaching kids the right fundamentals for later on. And as far as, saying we play sophs in a freshman game, those are kids who never get to play much at all if any. The other reason being we have so kids hurt we couldn't field a team to play. I'll bet if you check the Harlan Co. coaches knew we had to play them just to field a team and that would be fine with them. Same goes the other way.
Example: JV is undefeated again. That's without their best 7 or 8 jv players. They're playing varsity only.
So trust me on this one, we don't have to sneak in an older kid to beat someone. Coaches will tell you that they let certain kids play down all the time and as for me, nothing is wrong with that.
Well, I was really proud of our Freshmen team till I figured out we played Bell County's 3rd graders, a couple of Dudley's water boys, and a hitchhiker from US119. :p

This rivalry is gonna be good one that we can all look forward to in the years to come. :thumpsup:
:thatsfunn
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:From what i was told it was a very exciting game. Bell's coaches were very pleased that it was close, good showing by the kids that played. They were not sure if they would even be competitive. They were missing some players from the first meeting. A few had quit, one talented wr moved to lexington and maybe the best freshman lb that played fb also was lost to for the season to a shoulder injury. and with the injury to Fr. RB Davenport they only had 8 freshman left healthy so a few of the Soph's that don't get any Varsity time played (mostly lineman 2 of which had to play in the backfield). I think Bell's freshman finished 5-4. Did not have many numbers coupled with Davenport not playing in many of the games it was still a sucessful season. JV finished 8-0 w/o being challenged.

I don't think Davenport played in either of the freshman games? He is a star of the future for Bell.

I too look foward to this rivalry continuing.

What about the Collett kid on the middle school team?
You all don't want know of the water boy's. They are seasoned vets and run the Belly offense to perfection. Hunk has a heck of an arm and Henry breaks tackles like no 50 year old back you have ever seen. Wink Wink
By the way that game had been on the schedule for at least a month and Bell called to cancel. Coach Larkey did tell them to bring Soph. if they needed to but, yes, we did need the game. It wasn't like we called the day before to get it. Good Job HCHS Freshman. Looking forward to these years ahead. The future looks bright for BEARS football.
I'm not saying that the game wasn't scheduled. I was saying what had happened with our freshman team. I'm not here to take away from your team. I'm just saying don't think that's all we have. And, that eighth grade bunch is scary good too. We're going to be fine for the following years and I'm sure you guys will too. And other than when you play us, I'll be for you. I'm just about two miles from being a Harlan Co. boy myself. Don't think I'm pulling against you. That's not true at all. Heck I would hugged everyone of you guys a couple weeks back when you beat mboro. I loved it. They won't play us anymore so now you guys have to beat up on them for us. Be careful though, if you do it to much they'll drop you from the schedule. Trust me on that one.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Actually it was 13. 11 on the field plus 2 on the sideline equals 13. :o

Did not say he did not coach the kids there Box Top! Just the fact they don't gear the freshman and JV to winning all the games just getting better!!!! You only do that by playing and Coaching. You did not expect him to stand quietly on the sidelines and NOT COACH did you?

For years in the 90's Bell would loose to M'boro and Corbin in middle school, freshman and even JV just to turn around in Varsity and beat those teams like a DRUM. So don't get too worked up about freshman and JV results :Thumbs: .

Oh yea Box Top do you know why this game was scheduled just a week or so before the game???

I will tell you. Coach Larkey needed a game to have Homecoming for the underclassmen. Nobody else would come and play at HC. B/C Bell did not have enough freshman to field a team they agreed that a few Soph's would play for Bell.

or scrimmages? (The JC fans can jump in any time they wish)
We get worked up over every game here in Harlan County and despite the excuses, we're still proud of our win and know that our program is on the rise over here. BEWARE OF THE BEARS!Big Grin
easyM Wrote:He gets into the games because he is coaching kids the right fundamentals for later on. And as far as, saying we play sophs in a freshman game, those are kids who never get to play much at all if any. The other reason being we have so kids hurt we couldn't field a team to play. I'll bet if you check the Harlan Co. coaches knew we had to play them just to field a team and that would be fine with them. Same goes the other way.
Example: JV is undefeated again. That's without their best 7 or 8 jv players. They're playing varsity only.
So trust me on this one, we don't have to sneak in an older kid to beat someone. Coaches will tell you that they let certain kids play down all the time and as for me, nothing is wrong with that.

No one was suggesting that kids snuck in the game and BC was trying to decieve anyone, I overheard that all coaches from both sides were fine with BC playing 10th graders. NO biggie. Just excited to win. I don't a school in the state that doesn't want to win any game and they all teach fundamentals and the basics of the game so winning is just an added bonus. A lot of emphasis is placed on those boys at HC at a yougn age even in freshmen ball because if it weren't about winning they wouldn;t be playing. I cannot wait for a great rivalry between two awesome ball teams next year.
Nobody is saying Bell isn't going to continue being great. Take it as a compliment that Harlan County feels good about beating a program as traditionally strong as Bell and is proud of finishing 7-2. This year's eighth-grade class may be better than the freshmen.
did you guys play Estill Co. fresh team this year or Breathitt Co.?
I'm pretty sure we didn't play them.
I like the e-mail that came out in Harlan County schools to all staff from the super. A lot of excitement over a freshmen game up there.
Overtime without your best running back and almost all the rest playing out of their normal positions. I'd say the future of this rivalry looks bad for the Black Bears.
Sun Tzu Wrote:Overtime without your best running back and almost all the rest playing out of their normal positions. I'd say the future of this rivalry looks bad for the Black Bears.

Smile You all are cracking me up. I mean we won, but come to find out Bell didn't actually dress any real football players and we actually played the golf team, a couple of the boy's girlfriends, and your one legged kicker "stumpy".

It's gonna be alright. You guys get a chance to play the Bears next year. Best of luck the rest of your season!
Nothing wrong with eing proud of your boys Mama you guys have alot to be proud of right now and in the future. But, the frosh running back that broke his arm and did not get to play, you are going to hate to watch the next three years.
Just curious, who's the RB that broke his arm....has he been out all season?
Pages: 1 2