Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Brooks announces switch to Cobb at QB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Per the Louisville Courier Journal:

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Freshman Randall Cobb will start at quarterback for the University of Kentucky football team on Saturday when the Wildcats visit Mississippi State.

Sophomore Mike Hartline, who has started every game at quarterback this season for UK (5-3, 1-3 Southeastern Conference) also will play, coach Rich Brooks said today at his weekly news conference.

"We'll probably reverse the action and bring in Hartline sometime in the second quarter or the third quarter," Brooks said. "They'll both play."

Cobb has been Hartline's backup for most of the season, and he was the more productive of the two in the Cats' 63-5 loss last Saturday at Florida.

Cobb led UK's only scoring drive, and he completed 9-of-18 passes for 78 yards with no interceptions. Hartline was 7-for-16 for 33 yards and one interception, which was returned for a touchdown.

The UK offense averaged 8.8 plays and 42.8 yards with Cobb at quarterback against the Gators, and Cobb led UK to 12 first downs. Hartline produced two first downs, and his average drive was 3.6 plays for 8.4 yards.

"Mike's done a lot of good things, but we've been starting games slow the last several weeks, and when Randall's inserted – not always on (his) first series, but somewhere in there – we seem at least to be able to move the ball," Brooks said. "I think (Cobb) gives the defense a little more problem with his feet and his ability to improvise than Mike does."

Cobb has started to understand the UK offense better in the last several weeks of practice, Brooks said.

"He's still got a lot to catch up on, but what he's got in his bonnet is pretty good," Brooks said. "He understands it and he's executing it pretty well."

Brooks informed the quarterbacks of his decision this morning, and added that he thinks both Hartline and Cobb have been valuable leaders thus far.

"The best way for somebody to show leadership is to go out and play well, and then act like a leader after they've done it, and I think both Mike and Randall have done that at different times," Brooks said. "We just think that Randall can give us maybe a little spark and a little more diversity in what we're able to do on offense."
I agree with this decision to put Cobb at quarterback, but I still don't expect to see much productivity out of our offense mostly because of the inexperience at the receiver position.
Brooks is just about 3 games too late
He said Hartline will still play. I just wonder how much Cobb will play and how much leash Brooks gives him before he pulls him and lets Hartline has a shot. Hartline sure did have a long leash. But with MSU's defense struggling this season, and if Cobb produces, I don't why Hartline would even be inserted into the game at all. We shall see. But at least Brooks as seen what we all have been seeing. It's not too late to save the season, especially with 3 winnable games remaining.
Im sure this is what most wanted on here. I like the move too myself. I just really hope we can get the offense going this weekend and beat Mississippi State
Well, I'm not sure how much this is going to help the team, but at least it gets the talk-show callers off of Brooks' back. Wonder what the callers will complain about now?

For those who think this will magically morph the UK Wildcats into world-beaters, I hate to burst your bubble, but it won't. You may have upgraded the quarterback position somewhat, but in the process have severely weakened the receiver position. Cobb is certainly a talented player, but he will still be relying on guys like Gene McCaskill and Demoreo Ford to do something they've struggled at all year, catch the ball. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

Hopefully by next year, this a moot point. We will have either Newton or Mossakowski starting at QB, and Cobb will get to flourish at receiver, where I still believe he has an NFL future ahead of him.
I am glad that Cobb is starting.
Sorry Hartline UK didn't have the time to teach you football. Sure you could have been a good QB in a year or two but we ran out of time! Need someone with a little more speed and quicker decision making capability. Zero to hero takes a long time, but hero to zero, about two games.
More Cowbell Wrote:Well, I'm not sure how much this is going to help the team, but at least it gets the talk-show callers off of Brooks' back. Wonder what the callers will complain about now?

For those who think this will magically morph the UK Wildcats into world-beaters, I hate to burst your bubble, but it won't. You may have upgraded the quarterback position somewhat, but in the process have severely weakened the receiver position. Cobb is certainly a talented player, but he will still be relying on guys like Gene McCaskill and Demoreo Ford to do something they've struggled at all year, catch the ball. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

Hopefully by next year, this a moot point. We will have either Newton or Mossakowski starting at QB, and Cobb will get to flourish at receiver, where I still believe he has an NFL future ahead of him.

I agree, good post!
MVP2 Wrote:Im sure this is what most wanted on here. I like the move too myself. I just really hope we can get the offense going this weekend and beat Mississippi State

me and you both my friend :Hungry: were hungry for a win
Praise the lord.
More Cowbell Wrote:Well, I'm not sure how much this is going to help the team, but at least it gets the talk-show callers off of Brooks' back. Wonder what the callers will complain about now?

Excellent post!
Good call Coach, better late than never. Cobb is a much better QB than Hartline imo.
If UK move Cobb to QB, who going to be the WR. The ones they got right now suck. Cobb is the only one that can go deep. You can't put that lose only on Hartline. UK have 3 or 4 punts block in that game. UK couldn't do nothing right in that game.
cj2561 Wrote:If UK move Cobb to QB, who going to be the WR. The ones they got right now suck. Cobb is the only one that can go deep. You can't put that lose only on Hartline. UK have 3 or 4 punts block in that game. UK couldn't do nothing right in that game.
I agree, Hartline's supporting cast has not helped him at all, but it's more than just the Florida game. When Hartline is running the offense, they're just not producing. UK has only scored 1 offensive touchdown...that's right ONE...in the first half during SEC play, and that came from the defense on Lindley's INT against South Carolina. Hartline is young, and he's still learning how to lead in the SEC, but unlike Woodson's first year as the starter, this team has the potnetial to play in a bowl game. Cobb led UK to it's only scoring drive against Florida, and he gives the offense a different look because of his scrambling ability. Cobb will not be the QB next season with Newton and Mossakowski coming in and hopefully a more mature Hartline, and that will allow him to focus on the WR position (his BEST position IMO), and he will be much more effective in doing so. But for now, for UK to make a 3rd straight bowl game for the first time since the Bear roamed the sidelines, we need UK's best playmaker to touch the ball every single play, and that playmaker is Randall Cobb.
Here's a quote from Hartline I got from KSR. He obviously wants to blame everyone else but himself.

“I’m disappointed. It stinks,” Hartline said. “You don’t ever expect to win the starting job and then lose it because the guys around you aren’t performing the way they should. It’s disappointing, but at the same time, it’s best for the team. I’m a team player, and that’s just the way it has to be.”
I think Cobb is a great QB, but I think Brooks should have left Hartline back there.
I get the feeling from this decision that it is more of a strategic move to energize the offense, and well, the whole team for the game on Saturday.

After the beating they took at the hands of UF, they need a spark to get them back into the mentality that they can win games and that they are a good SEC team.

Brooks said Hartline may still play, but I think if Cobb is doing good Hartline may see nothing but the sidelines. With the team behind Cobb I think they will come out with a fire under their butts and at least start the game off well.

Gah I wish you guys would stop whining about the WR position...if it was as bad as you said it was then Cobb would have gone 9-18 with 78 yards...Geez.
vundy33 Wrote:Gah I wish you guys would stop whining about the WR position...if it was as bad as you said it was then Cobb would have gone 9-18 with 78 yards...Geez.

The line got better when Cobb was back there. If they can do that for hartline. When Hartline have time he can pick the D apart. Like he did with Bama, when Joker let him pass the ball. UK have to do something if they want to make it to the bowl game this year. None of them is a easy win.
Has any one read Hartline comments to the change? Here it is have fun with this one!
http://www.kentucky.com/817/story/571344.html
You can't expect him to be happy. I'm kind of suprised he said it but its true.

The offensive line was supposed to be the strength of the offense comming into the season. They have been awful. Even worse than the WRs.

With no threat of a traditional running game Cobb does offer a chance to do something because of his mobility. Its true he can do things there that Hartline cannot. It should be interesting to see what kind of offense they come out and run.

Spread with alot of zone reads I would imagine. Mix in some play action. Hopefully it works.
Hopefully Cobb will be able to throw it to himself....
FBALL Wrote:You can't expect him to be happy. I'm kind of suprised he said it but its true.

The offensive line was supposed to be the strength of the offense comming into the season. They have been awful. Even worse than the WRs.

With no threat of a traditional running game Cobb does offer a chance to do something because of his mobility. Its true he can do things there that Hartline cannot. It should be interesting to see what kind of offense they come out and run.

Spread with alot of zone reads I would imagine. Mix in some play action. Hopefully it works.

its funny though i was reading on Wildcat Nation and many of them mentioned conspieracy had alot to do with why the team plays better under CObb then Hartline.
Yeah I talked to Alfonso Smith the other day and asked him why he wasnt getting more playing time and he said it was "politics"...
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Has any one read Hartline comments to the change? Here it is have fun with this one!
http://www.kentucky.com/817/story/571344.html
Real classy move Hartline blame your teamates. I talked to some guys at a UK game when Hartline was a redshirt. These guys went to school at UK and they told me that Hartline is the biggest jerk youd ever meet and nobody on the team likes him. If the guys around you dont want to play for you then you wont be an effective leader.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Real classy move Hartline blame your teamates. I talked to some guys at a UK game when Hartline was a redshirt. These guys went to school at UK and they told me that Hartline is the biggest jerk youd ever meet and nobody on the team likes him. If the guys around you dont want to play for you then you wont be an effective leader.

UK lucky i am not the coach. Everyone on the team will hate me. Everytime the QB get hit, they will run. Sack, run more. They get beat off the line, out of the game. Until i think they can do better. That might be the next season. No matter if you like him or not. Each player have a job to do. Either they do it, or they don't play.
Hartline was right about his teammates letting him down. His running game has been nonexistent, and his receivers have dropped very catchable balls all year long. In a way, they are partially to blame for his demotion. But I still lost a lot of respect for him after those comments.

Bottom line, Hartline shouldn't have said what he said. Even if you're thinking it, even if it's true, you don't say something like that to the media. I know he was frustrated, but you don't EVER throw your teammates under the bus. No matter what.

After the events of this week, and considering what UK has coming in next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hartline transfer before next year. It might be the best for everyone.
Hartline finally apologized for his remarks, but I still feel he was out of line by saying what he did. Here is his apology:

“I’ve apologized to the offense and the team and it’s a tough situation for me,” Hartline said. “I’m recuperating and I know what’s going on so all I can do is move on and be ready to play. I got in front of the offense and told them if I disrespected anyone or it came out wrong then I apologize. They know what type of guy I am, what type of character I have and they’ve got my back. It was good to see that even if things come out bad they appreciate what I’m trying to do for the team.”
The running back suck because Hartline cant throw deep and Hartline sucks too.