Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why can't basketball be like football?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can basketball be broken down in divisions 1A thru 6A like football? Would this be better for all schools in KY?
Don't change something that is working.
kj52 Wrote:Don't change something that is working.

Thank you for your reply.

Just as a debate questions.

Is it really working? How many schools in the state have never or will never have a chance at the Sweet 16?What about these same schools that cannot attract the talent to compete?Wouldn't it be better for each team be in a division they have a chance in? Wouldn't it rise the quality of basketball having 6A schools playing 6A schools in the tournament?

I do not know the answers to these I just would like to know what everybody thinks?
The "All A" classic seems to work pretty well. The dreams of a Car Creek coming from nowhere to win a title are pretty remote these days, in the days of consolidation, transfers, etc. Hoosiers is a story line from the past. However, the whole deal at Rupp Arena is quite a show and a time for annual "hang out together" sessions.
kybaseball Wrote:Can basketball be broken down in divisions 1A thru 6A like football? Would this be better for all schools in KY?
The Kentucky Sweet 16 is the greatest show on Earth. Please leave KY Basketball alone...we don't want to be like football!
The high school basketball setup is fine and should never been broken in classes. The small schools have their chance with the All A Classic so its not like they are completley shut out. If this state ever puts basketball in clases then close the book on being the greatest show in hoops.:ChairHit:
Nooooooooo!!!!
Its a double edged sword.......As of now, you have those "David and Goliath" matchups.....However, if and when it goes to a class format you will see a BIG dropoff in some of these "no other choice" transfers. That's a fact! Anyone wants to dispute it.................Lets hear your reason!
The sweet 16 is a neat deal but for only 16 teams that have the resources.

What about having having 8 classes then let the final 2 in each class go to Rupp and for the class championship. You will still have 16 teams with 8 super competetive games.would that work?
Is winning a state championship all that special when there are 6 of them. I couldn't even name all the football champions last year. However, I can name them in basketball for the past 20 years. I say leave the Sweet 16 as it is.
One could ask a team with no shot at the the current system would they rather have shot at a 3A 2A 1A state title or none at all?

It may or may not work just a good what if topic.
why try and fix something if its not broken?
Kentucky have the true state champion.
I like the format the way it is, a small school will eventually make another run at the title someday. Small schools rely on limited talent pools, when a group comes together and has success, it does wonders for the school and communities. This year there are a couple of smaller mtn. schools that could make some noise in Rupp, Hazard-Shelby Valley- Elliott Co., have enough talent to compete and make things interesting. It does get a little frustrating watching the bigger schools such as Scott Co. , Lex. Cath. and others get D1 transfers that just adds to their trophy piles. The All "A" in the 15th this year includes everybody except- Belfry-Pike Central-Johnson Central and Lawrence Co. if I'm not mistaken, so it has lost its small school luster.
IMO it really wouldnt make sense. Because in football, your judged on speed, power, agility, and strength. Basketball is just speed and skill mostly. You need to be in another division in football when you have 80 kids dressing with beards and can bench 315, for instance St. Xavier. Imagine taking them to play Phelps or Betsy Layne? In basketball they cant really steamroll you without a foul call and after 5 their gone. So with an average of 14 players per team on a non-heavy contact sport, it really doesnt matter.

Make sense?
Worst idea ever. Period.
4 classes would be great! Final 4 of all 4 classes would still be the sweet 16! Then you would have the best 4 teams playing and have all great games instead of some of the boring ones that put people to sleep every year. You would also have more fans which would improve how things are run... If their teams have a chance for a title they will come, most don't because they get matched up with a super power and know they don't have a chance and will get embarrassed. 4 classes would be the best for our state!

People are saying don't fix what isn't broken... It is broke... We need a 4 class system that will give more teams an opportunity to play in the tourney and will give teams a chance to win a tourney, that is what they said about football too and look they ended up with 6 classes... Looked like it worked out pretty well last year!!!
mountain hoops guru Wrote:4 classes would be great! Final 4 of all 4 classes would still be the sweet 16! Then you would have the best 4 teams playing and have all great games instead of some of the boring ones that put people to sleep every year. You would also have more fans which would improve how things are run... If their teams have a chance for a title they will come, most don't because they get matched up with a super power and know they don't have a chance and will get embarrassed. 4 classes would be the best for our state!

People are saying don't fix what isn't broken... It is broke... We need a 4 class system that will give more teams an opportunity to play in the tourney and will give teams a chance to win a tourney, that is what they said about football too and look they ended up with 6 classes... Looked like it worked out pretty well last year!!!

One of the best post period. :Thumbs: :Thumbs: I can't say I disagree with your ideas.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:4 classes would be great! Final 4 of all 4 classes would still be the sweet 16! Then you would have the best 4 teams playing and have all great games instead of some of the boring ones that put people to sleep every year. You would also have more fans which would improve how things are run... If their teams have a chance for a title they will come, most don't because they get matched up with a super power and know they don't have a chance and will get embarrassed. 4 classes would be the best for our state!

I agree with some of your post.....However, what I think is most broken is the KHSAA. If they enforced the transfer rules as they are written you would see the Sweet Sixteen be much more competitive.....Want proof? I won't name names, but take away the transfers from the fav's this year and the title is WIDE OPEN!!
letthebighogroot Wrote:I agree with some of your post.....However, what I think is most broken is the KHSAA. If they enforced the transfer rules as they are written you would see the Sweet Sixteen be much more competitive.....Want proof? I won't name names, but take away the transfers from the fav's this year and the title is WIDE OPEN!!

I agree the KHSAA IS A JOKE. Have you ever read some of their polices? Theres one says it you write a letter they will forward to your school AD.Smile Smile LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO DO ANYTHING ANYWAY.I do not mean there are not good AD'S out there though.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:People are saying don't fix what isn't broken... It is broke...

What proof do you have of that? The tournament is extremely popular, one of the most exciting in the nation and is unique because there are no classes.

The All "A" Classic remedied any problems about small schools not having a chance to play in the state tournament. Now, they can play in both.
kybaseball Wrote:Can basketball be broken down in divisions 1A thru 6A like football? Would this be better for all schools in KY?

NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO:mad:
This off topic ,Chuck you have a killer avatar.:Thumbs:

What schools are eligible for the single A tournament?
Chuck Taylor Wrote:NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO...NO:mad:

amen.
palmer Wrote:What proof do you have of that? The tournament is extremely popular, one of the most exciting in the nation and is unique because there are no classes.

The All "A" Classic remedied any problems about small schools not having a chance to play in the state tournament. Now, they can play in both.

That is right. The two teams that play for the ALL "A" title, Both made it to the sweet 16 last year. There might be 1 or 2 more 1A school made it also.
Classes in KY HS Hoops!!! Perish the thought!!!! That is anti Kentuckian!

True the bigger schools will win most of the time at the sweet 16--but when a smaller school does win (which has, does, and will happen again) it is a sight to behold! There's nothing like having your little hometown team go to the big show to galvinize your town.

I am a HUGE UK fan. I watched them win it all in 96--what a sight---but I also saw the Tigers win it all in KY HS hoops in 96---that was even better!

I can't imagine KY HS hoops in classes---for me it would lose a lot of the luster. Bring on those big schools--I love it!
I would like to thank everyone for their responses to this point.

I think this is a great idea as well!!!
Leave it as it is!
2 bad fooseball isnt more like Basketball.
Pages: 1 2