Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Randall Cobb at receiver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since there have been threads started on here by people who would like to see Randall Cobb as the starting quarterback, I thought I'd start one from a different angle. My question is: How good do you think Cobb can be as a receiver?

In my opinion, it is obvious that with Lyons out for the year Cobb is far and away our best receiver, and it's not even close. He is a special talent, the kind of player other teams have to game-plan against. He reminds me a lot of a young Keenan Burton, although I think that if UK leaves him at receiver full-time, he will develop into one of the school's all-time greats. I foresee him being better than Burton by his senior year.

What do you all think? (If you still think he should be QB, that's fine, but in this thread I really want to hear what you think of him as a WR)
I def agree with Cobb at WR. Hartline gives us our best shot at the QB postion. It is ok for Cobb to take a few snaps at QB just to throw some different looks at defenses but he needs to play WR. Catching the ball has been a major problem for us all year. Cobb is the only one who can do it consistantly and get yards out of it.
I really think it's in the team's best interests as well as his own to stay at WR. He really has some talent there, and I think he could have an NFL career as a receiver. At quarterback, maybe, maybe not.
Like I've said before in a post, Cobb is a better QB than Hartline, BUT, he is a better WR then he is a QB. But I think he should stick with being a WR with Massakowski and Newton coming in next year as 4* and 5* recruits.
Jshort5 Wrote:Like I've said before in a post, Cobb is a better QB than Hartline, BUT, he is a better WR then he is a QB. But I think he should stick with being a WR with Massakowski and Newton coming in next year as 4* and 5* recruits.
This is just a question. I am not attacking you. How, in you eyes, is he better at QB than Hartline? What has he done in that postition to make you want him there?
Remember it is a friendly question.
One Word. Mobility.
Amun-Ra Wrote:This is just a question. I am not attacking you. How, in you eyes, is he better at QB than Hartline? What has he done in that postition to make you want him there?
Remember it is a friendly question.

I would really rather not have this thread become a debate over who is the better QB. I think one could argue either way, and whoever is better, it's not by much.

I really want to use this thread to discuss Cobb at receiver. Even if you say he is better than Hartline at QB, the difference between the two is miniscule compared to the difference between Cobb and the next-best option at WR. Without Lyons, the drop-off after Cobb is steep. Too steep, in my opinion, to not play him at receiver most of the game.
More Cowbell Wrote:I would really rather not have this thread become a debate over who is the better QB. I think one could argue either way, and whoever is better, it's not by much.

I really want to use this thread to discuss Cobb at receiver. Even if you say he is better than Hartline at QB, the difference between the two is miniscule compared to the difference between Cobb and the next-best option at WR. Without Lyons, the drop-off after Cobb is steep. Too steep, in my opinion, to not play him at receiver most of the game.
Ok thats fine....

You are correct on the WR issue. Cobb def needs to play there.
Amun-Ra Wrote:You are correct on the WR issue. Cobb def needs to play there.

Do you agree with my assessment of his potential at the position? I really think if Cobb stays at WR, he will end up being even better than Keenan Burton, and could have a very good pro career.
More Cowbell Wrote:Do you agree with my assessment of his potential at the position? I really think if Cobb stays at WR, he will end up being even better than Keenan Burton, and could have a very good pro career.
Well that shouldn't be hard. Burton who had a ton of potential never really seemed to be great. I think he spent more time hurt than he did playing.
Cobb has already shown he is for real. Our O-line gets better and the running game gets more effective, expect bigger numbers ffrom both Hartline and Cobb.
Peronally I love seeing him in Slot. I like having him at QB every now and then just to give a diffrent look but def. need to use him as a WR. The way we use him this season is sort of how Arkansas used McFadden. He is our playmaker and that is how we should use him. I would really like to see us use him at QB to throw an option play or two in there a game like we did this past weekend on one play. I agree with the assesment that he could develope into a nice NFL WR. He is a little undersized like Burton and Johnson however I see him as a mix of some of Kentucky's former great recivers. I think he compares to the following players, Johnson (end of the game playmaker), Yeast (a weapon for returning kicks), Lyons (a down field blocker on screens and works well over the flats), Burton (A leader who makes the offense look more poised when hes on the field). With that said I see Cobb as being our all time leader in receptions, TDs and yardage gained. An unbelivble player with a great heart. Officaly my favorite player ever to play for Kentucky especially after his dedication to Lyons by wearing his jersey really brought tears to my eyes to see a freshman jump in as a leader. A true freshman with a BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Peronally I love seeing him in Slot. I like having him at QB every now and then just to give a diffrent look but def. need to use him as a WR. The way we use him this season is sort of how Arkansas used McFadden. He is our playmaker and that is how we should use him. I would really like to see us use him at QB to throw an option play or two in there a game like we did this past weekend on one play. I agree with the assesment that he could develope into a nice NFL WR. He is a little undersized like Burton and Johnson however I see him as a mix of some of Kentucky's former great recivers. I think he compares to the following players, Johnson (end of the game playmaker), Yeast (a weapon for returning kicks), Lyons (a down field blocker on screens and works well over the flats), Burton (A leader who makes the offense look more poised when hes on the field). With that said I see Cobb as being our all time leader in receptions, TDs and yardage gained. An unbelivble player with a great heart. Officaly my favorite player ever to play for Kentucky especially after his dedication to Lyons by wearing his jersey really brought tears to my eyes to see a freshman jump in as a leader. A true freshman with a BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree that kid scored big points with me when he wore Dickys number. Listen guys I think we can all agree that whether QB or WR Randall Cobb needs to be on the field somewhere on every play possible.
Yea, Cobb is the best athlete on the offensive side of the ball that we have. I agree that he needs to stay at WR and maybe take snaps from time to time at QB just to confuse the defense, but has been proven even when he is in at QB our receivers still have a hard time hanging onto the ball. So we need that go to receiver and that is what he brings to the table. This will open up some of the coverage on our other receivers so that they can get open.