Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is this a racist cartoon?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
DevilsWin Wrote:What are your thoughts:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politic...etter.kcal
Why are none of you voting?
I just watched it and I have to say, yes, it is racist.

The creators of the cartoon are trying to plead ingorance, but that's ridiculous...why else would you have put Kool-Aid, watermelon, and fried chicken in the cartoon?

You can't tell me that's just a random grouping. It's obvious they are trying to perpetuate a stereotype.
That's definitely racist. Like CE said, that just doesn't randomly get picked.
Yes.
Your dang right its racist.

African-Americans always like Red CoolAid and Chicken for some reason. Ive never heard of the Ribs and Watermelon. Any other food would have been fine
This is what I'm talking about! Where is the outrage?
Yes it is.
That is rascist.
Very disturbingly racist, and dumb, you cant buy fast food with food stamps, they should take the KFC bucket off.
I'm wondering why there are no comments from anyone who voted that the carton was not racist?
BTW DW, in the future, keep in mind that you can make polls like these public poles so we can see who voted what.
I figured if their cover was blown they were less likely to vote.
Are the 5 people who voted "no" too much of a coward to explain why on here?
ComfortEagle Wrote:Are the 5 people who voted "no" too much of a coward to explain why on here?
Guess so. Maybe its better that we don't know.
I just assume everyone likes kool-Aid, watermelon and fried chicken, black or not I love that stuff.
The link is blocked at work but I can tell ya I find it very funny that being linked to a certain type of food can be considered racist. What is so racist about saying the majority of black people like those things, read my above statement. That's like saying its racist to say Chinese people like rice, or Russian people like Vodka.
Beetle01 Wrote:The link is blocked at work but I can tell ya I find it very funny that being linked to a certain type of food can be considered racist. What is so racist about saying the majority of black people like those things, read my above statement. That's like saying its racist to say Chinese people like rice, or Russian people like Vodka.

Yes, yes, Beetle 01, given the history of this country, watermelon, fried chicken eating "boy" equates of rice and Vodka. Your need to believe is strng, Skywalker.
thecavemaster Wrote:Yes, yes, Beetle 01, given the history of this country, watermelon, fried chicken eating "boy" equates of rice and Vodka. Your need to believe is strng, Skywalker.

History of our country, what about the history of those countries? they have been around quite a bit longer.

I still don't see how being linked to a food is an insult, especially delicious food.
Beetle01 Wrote:History of our country, what about the history of those countries? they have been around quite a bit longer.

I still don't see how being linked to a food is an insult, especially delicious food.

If everyone, as you assert, drinks vodka in Russia, how can it be used as a stereotype within that country? The history of this country includes a lot of people who use "fried chicken eating, watermelon sucking N word" as a racial slur. Can you deny that?
thecavemaster Wrote:If everyone, as you assert, drinks vodka in Russia, how can it be used as a stereotype within that country? The history of this country includes a lot of people who use "fried chicken eating, watermelon sucking N word" as a racial slur. Can you deny that?

So by your definition since I love fried chicken, watermelon, and kool aid I must be a "N". Which I'm not. Like I said, to say food is racist is over the top. It is stereotyping, but racism and stereotyping are 2 totally different things.

for it to be racist to me, it would mean you hate them because they eat and drink said items.
Beetle01 Wrote:So by your definition since I love fried chicken, watermelon, and kool aid I must be a "N". Which I'm not. Like I said, to say food is racist is over the top. It is stereotyping, but racism and stereotyping are 2 totally different things.

for it to be racist to me, it would mean you hate them because they eat and drink said items.

Novel approach, albeit non-sensical. Very few people admit to being racists. Racism exists on a continuum, KKK on one end, MLK on the other.
thecavemaster Wrote:Novel approach, albeit non-sensical. Very few people admit to being racists. Racism exists on a continuum, KKK on one end, MLK on the other.

Like I said, your confusing sterotypes with racism. They are not the same.
Beetle01 Wrote:Like I said, your confusing sterotypes with racism. They are not the same.

You are suggesting that fried chicken, watermelon are not associated in a stereotypical way with African Americans? Again, novel approach.
thecavemaster Wrote:You are suggesting that fried chicken, watermelon are not associated in a stereotypical way with African Americans? Again, novel approach.

We obviously have different views on Racism. While I agree it is sterotypical to say Black people enjoy those items. I don't see it as racist. Its a comment on their cultural eating patterns.

Just like saying black people don't make for a good swim team. Stereotypical because I'm sure there are some really good black swimmers out there.

I also don't see it as racist to say white men can't jump. While we can jump and we have our exceptions ie.. Jeff Sheppard. For the most part we are vertically challenged.

Is it racist to refer to Eskimo's as loving to eat whale or fish or crab or seal or w/e they eat? Or for Nebraskans to eat corn? No, stereotyping is not racism.
Beetle01 Wrote:We obviously have different views on Racism. While I agree it is sterotypical to say Black people enjoy those items. I don't see it as racist. Its a comment on their cultural eating patterns.

Just like saying black people don't make for a good swim team. Stereotypical because I'm sure there are some really good black swimmers out there.

I also don't see it as racist to say white men can't jump. While we can jump and we have our exceptions ie.. Jeff Sheppard. For the most part we are vertically challenged.

Is it racist to refer to Eskimo's as loving to eat whale or fish or crab or seal or w/e they eat? Or for Nebraskans to eat corn? No, stereotyping is not racism.

Didn't you just change the ground of the argument? I would agree that letting german shepherds loose on human beings is not stereotyping. To my knowledge, dogs have never been loosed on non-elevating white men. The "fried chicken, watermelon" comment is charged with a racial history that none of your examples replicate.
thecavemaster Wrote:Didn't you just change the ground of the argument? I would agree that letting german shepherds loose on human beings is not stereotyping. To my knowledge, dogs have never been loosed on non-elevating white men. The "fried chicken, watermelon" comment is charged with a racial history that none of your examples replicate.

Your injecting that racial history into the comment.
Beetle01 Wrote:Your injecting that racial history into the comment.

Stereotyping is one aspect of racism; it is not the whole thing in and of itself. I am suggesting that, given this nation's history concerning African-Americans, that linking the "fried chicken, watermelon" stereotype within a historic Presedential campaign cannot be interpreted as much besides an appeal to racism. You actually disagree with that?
Personally, I think both of you do have points.
Racist.
Pages: 1 2