Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New to the Board
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone I'm new to this board. I'm from just across the state line in Lee County, VA. My high school Thomas Walker has played several KY teams in the past, Cumberland, Evarts, Williamsburg, Pineville and a few more. Can anyone give me more information on KY teams since the only ones I'm really familiar with are Bell Co. and Middlesboro?? I'd like the know who are the best teams, what style of offense they run, who their key players are and such. Maybe even a list of the top 10 rushers and passers in the mountains if that's possible. Thanks.
PioneerBlue Wrote:Hello everyone I'm new to this board. I'm from just across the state line in Lee County, VA. My high school Thomas Walker has played several KY teams in the past, Cumberland, Evarts, Williamsburg, Pineville and a few more. Can anyone give me more information on KY teams since the only ones I'm really familiar with are Bell Co. and Middlesboro?? I'd like the know who are the best teams, what style of offense they run, who their key players are and such. Maybe even a list of the top 10 rushers and passers in the mountains if that's possible. Thanks.

Belfry
Prestonsburg
Johnson Central
Breathitt Co.
Sheldon Clark

That's all the teams that matter in the mountains.
For North East Kentucky, you just need to know 2 schools. Russell and Ashland.

*EDIT*

Welcome to the board!
Thanks. Do you know who their key players are and what type of offense they run?
I beg to differ with Beetle 01. Letcher central and Harlan Co are 2 newly formed Class5 A teams that are on the rise. Letcher is in its 4th year and has already won a district title and has won 16 of it's last 20 games. While "powerhouses" are great teams year in and year out, he mentioned some good ones. But let's remember, all teams are important to someone ( especially the student-athletes that play for that team and their parents). Some great players also play for teams that have not reached the "powerhouse pinnacle yet). They include Charlie Banks of Letcher Central(qb that can do it all) Zack Lewis of Clay Co.( qb recently broke the state record for most passing yards in a carreer)Jason Powers R-B from Whitley Co.who is a heck of a runner, Demetri Travis R-B from Perry Central who is quick as a cat. These are a few to go along with Channing Fugate of Breathitt Co., and the stars from Johnson Central, P-Burg, Bell Co. and the rest.
PioneerBlue Wrote:Thanks. Do you know who their key players are and what type of offense they run?

For JC they have alot of key players on both sides of the ball. Main running back's are Nate Dillion, Chase Richardson, Tanner Bratton, and Ian Welch. Welch mostly plays in the wide out position. All 4 of them play on defense as well. Nate is a corner, Ian is safety, and Chase and Tanner are linebackers. IDK if u kno Woodford County but they are very good and Chase and Nate was like 20 yards away from the state record for a duo in one game nate had 230 or 240 and chase had around 250. JC also has a freshman that starts and imo is one of the best freshman's in the state and his name is JJ Jude, awsome lil player!
I've heard of the Fugate kid from Breathitt and know about Spencer Greer from Bell Co. and Hunter Adams from Middlesboro. I like to watch KY teams, at least when we played them for their wide open offenses. Most teams in Southwest Virginia run basic boring offenses. With the exception of JI Burton, who runs what they call the jet sweep.
Does anyone on here know anything about Somerset, Corbin, Hazard or Prestonsburg??
PioneerBlue Wrote:Does anyone on here know anything about Somerset, Corbin, Hazard or Prestonsburg??

Well u could kill 2 birds with 1 stone if u want to make the trip Johnson Central is playing Hazard at Johnson Central! Tommorow night!
I believe I'm going to the Bell Co/Sheldon Clark game tomorrow night since it's only about a 20 minute drive from here to Bell.
Prestonsburg is normally a power run team. They have 2 great backs in Allen Craynon and Seth Setser. Allen has been injured this year and only played in a couple of games. Setser has rushed for over 700 yards so far and 12 TD's.

They have however, looked extremely good passing the ball. Michael Burchett lines up at QB and has passed for over 1,000 yards and 12 TD's. Leading the receiving core is Austin Gearhart with over 600 yards receiving and 8 TD's.

Also, welcome to the site. If there is anything I or any other staff member can assist you with, feel free to let us know.
Belfry- 5 Consecutive State Semi's appearances, 2 State Titles and 4 Runner-Up's
Wishbone Offense
Key Players= HB/DE Ivan Lee, HB/DB Thomas Varney, QB/DB Andrew Elkins

Prestonsburg- 2 State Runner-Ups
Offense= Multiple sets, about a 70/30 mix of run pass
Key Players= RB/LB Seth Setser, RB Allen Craynon, WR Austin Gearhart

Johnson Central
Offense= Wishbone
Key Players- RB Nathaniel Dillon, RB Jason Richardson, WR/S Ian Welch

Breathitt Co.= 3 State Titles
Offense= Spread
Key Players= RB/LB Channing Fugate, QB Jade Haddix, WR Dusty Allen

Sheldon Clark
Offense= Multiple Sets (Most years 90/10 Run, this year about 70/30 run)
Key Players= RB Ryan Kelley, QB Austin Stepp, WR Casey DeLong

Russell- 2 State Titles, 1 Runner-Up
Offense= Wing T
Key Players= RB Drew Abrams, WB David Bailey, K Jason Dolley

Corbin- 3 State Titles, 4 Runner-Up's
Offense= Multiple Sets (Typically power running)
Key Players- RB Ryan Fritts, FB Michael Campbell, RB Caleb Watkins

Ashland Paul Blazer- 2 State Titles, 2 Runner-Ups (in modern era)
Offense- Multiple Sets Typically 70/30 run, some years 60/40 run
Key Players- RB Rashard Carter, FB Dominic Demartino, RB Josh Alber

You are already familiar with Bell and Middlesboro
Welcome to the board PioneerBlue
Also, http://www.khsaa.org/football has plenty of info for you, you canc heck out past seasons, past state champs, get all the stats and records you could ask for, and also find the weekly scoreboard.

Although you prefer seeing the more wide open offenses in Kentucky, the undisputable Top 5 teams from the past five years in EKY (Belfry, Bell, JC, Russell, and Rockcastle County) are all run heavy teams.
Welcome to the board PioneerBlue, if you ever need anything contact me or another staff member via private messaging.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry- 5 Consecutive State Semi's appearances, 2 State Titles and 4 Runner-Up's
Wishbone Offense
Key Players= HB/DE Ivan Lee, HB/DB Thomas Varney, QB/DB Andrew Elkins

Prestonsburg- 2 State Runner-Ups
Offense= Multiple sets, about a 70/30 mix of run pass
Key Players= RB/LB Seth Setser, RB Allen Craynon, WR Austin Gearhart

Johnson Central
Offense= Wishbone
Key Players- RB Nathaniel Dillon, RB Jason Richardson, WR/S Ian Welch

Breathitt Co.= 3 State Titles
Offense= Spread
Key Players= RB/LB Channing Fugate, QB Jade Haddix, WR Dusty Allen

Sheldon Clark
Offense= Multiple Sets (Most years 90/10 Run, this year about 70/30 run)
Key Players= RB Ryan Kelley, QB Austin Stepp, WR Casey DeLong

Russell- 2 State Titles, 1 Runner-Up
Offense= Wing T
Key Players= RB Drew Abrams, WB David Bailey, K Jason Dolley

Corbin- 3 State Titles, 4 Runner-Up's
Offense= Multiple Sets (Typically power running)
Key Players- RB Ryan Fritts, FB Michael Campbell, RB Caleb Watkins

Ashland Paul Blazer- 2 State Titles, 2 Runner-Ups (in modern era)
Offense- Multiple Sets Typically 70/30 run, some years 60/40 run
Key Players- RB Rashard Carter, FB Dominic Demartino, RB Josh Alber

You are already familiar with Bell and Middlesboro

Unfortunately for Ashland Demartino is done for the year. I believe it was a torn MCL suffered agaisnt Woodford County last week. One player to mention for the Tomcats though is freshman QB Sam Hunter. He is a dandy.
Is there a Wayne County KY? I'm pretty sure we played them in the late 90s and we had a decent team and got just smacked around. When we played Cumberland KY Eddie Creech was QB'ing for them and I believe they were state ranked.
Wayne County is central Kentucky, don't ever hear much bout them
the creech kid is now an assistant on the Harlan co. staff.
Some teams that run "wide-open" offenses are Letcher Central with the spread, Breathitt plays pretty much wide open as well. I noticed that South Laurel and Pulaski played to a 61-60 finish a couple of weeks ago so I would guess that they are definitly offensive minded. Welcome to the board.