Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Walkout on Scott County
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have attended the state tournament for thirty plus years. This year, if Scott County makes it, I am going to walk out before the tip of any and all of their games. Competitve fairness has taken a KHSAA sanctioned vacation. It is time for a break away organization of schools to stand independent of the KHSAA.
thecavemaster Wrote:I have attended the state tournament for thirty plus years. This year, if Scott County makes it, I am going to walk out before the tip of any and all of their games. Competitve fairness has taken a KHSAA sanctioned vacation. It is time for a break away organization of schools to stand independent of the KHSAA.
If you got good seats, send me a text when you go...
thecavemaster Wrote:I have attended the state tournament for thirty plus years. This year, if Scott County makes it, I am going to walk out before the tip of any and all of their games. Competitve fairness has taken a KHSAA sanctioned vacation. It is time for a break away organization of schools to stand independent of the KHSAA.
Do what you have to do but I attend the sweet 16 in hopes of seeing the best talent and best basketball possible and this team will be one of the teams I would pay my hard earned money to see. To be the best you have to beat the best, regardless of what happens behind the scenes if anything. Scott Co. has worked hard to get to this point and all their players have been ruled eligable so I can support that. Of course I'm not going to be cheering for them, but I'm also not going to be going around criticizing them eighter. Besides that I still think someone will knock this team off and I'm not so sure that they'll be as good as Covington Holmes this year.
Heck Cavemaster, I'm right with you. Furthermore if GRC gets in I'm walking out because Zollo transferred in. If Hazard gets in I'm boycotting because they have two kids that played for Bell Co. If Knott Co wins the 14th I will leave because they have a kid or two that transferred from June Buchanan. If LexCath goes I can't watch them because they have a couple kids that transferred from Bryan Station. I will boycott Holmes for sure because they have a great transfer, maybe two. There is no way I will watch J'town with their great transfer from Manual. I shouldn't have watched Mason Co win last year because they had at least one transfer in the starting lineup. Doesn't Elliott Co have a kid that started out at Scott Co? Maybe, I'm not for sure. It does't look like me or you will see many good teams play this year if we boycott every team with good transfers.

Looking back the 07 Scott Co team may be the only team in recent memory to win the Sweet 16 with 0 transfers.
Transfers are part of the game because the KHSAA allows it. I have attended the Sweet 16 for the past 35 years and never have gave thought to walking out if a certain team isplaying. Its not Scott County's fault that Euton, Jackson and Flannery are came in. If you were a high school coach would you tell those three to go elsewhere. The playing field in high school basketball or even football has been level but come March I will be sitting in Rupp Arena taking in the Greatest Show in Hoops no matter who is playing.TongueirateSho
You know Jed, I think I will be in Rupp also.
thecavemaster Wrote: It is time for a break away organization of schools to stand independent of the KHSAA.

http://www.kcsaa.net/

Here you go. I think their state championship in the last weekend in Feb.
rojas Wrote:Heck Cavemaster, I'm right with you. Furthermore if GRC gets in I'm walking out because Zollo transferred in. If Hazard gets in I'm boycotting because they have two kids that played for Bell Co. If Knott Co wins the 14th I will leave because they have a kid or two that transferred from June Buchanan. If LexCath goes I can't watch them because they have a couple kids that transferred from Bryan Station. I will boycott Holmes for sure because they have a great transfer, maybe two. There is no way I will watch J'town with their great transfer from Manual. I shouldn't have watched Mason Co win last year because they had at least one transfer in the starting lineup. Doesn't Elliott Co have a kid that started out at Scott Co? Maybe, I'm not for sure. It does't look like me or you will see many good teams play this year if we boycott every team with good transfers.

Looking back the 07 Scott Co team may be the only team in recent memory to win the Sweet 16 with 0 transfers.

IF true, this is a good post. Transfers means the parents who have a "win at all cost" attitude, parents who "love not wisely but too well" get to alter competitive fairness, with the full approval of people what don't care about fairness but just want to watch good basketball. I've seen enough AAU basketball, overheard enough "innocent" inquiries to understand that competitive fairness is a backburner, apparently irrelevant issue. Maybe it is time to bid adieu to the Sweet 16, as only maybe a team or two are "sweet."
rojas Wrote:http://www.kcsaa.net/

Here you go. I think their state championship in the last weekend in Feb.

You forgot to mention the khsaaa: the kentucky high school atheist's athletic association. What an interesting web site!
Warriors23RJ Wrote:Do what you have to do but I attend the sweet 16 in hopes of seeing the best talent and best basketball possible and this team will be one of the teams I would pay my hard earned money to see. To be the best you have to beat the best, regardless of what happens behind the scenes if anything. Scott Co. has worked hard to get to this point and all their players have been ruled eligable so I can support that. Of course I'm not going to be cheering for them, but I'm also not going to be going around criticizing them eighter. Besides that I still think someone will knock this team off and I'm not so sure that they'll be as good as Covington Holmes this year.

Is there any other place in your life where "regardless of what happens" would be your standard? Scott County has worked hard like all teams work hard, except with Euton and Jackson and the kid from Boone Co. Competitive fairness is apparently not on your radar.
thecavemaster Wrote:Is there any other place in your life where "regardless of what happens" would be your standard? Scott County has worked hard like all teams work hard, except with Euton and Jackson and the kid from Boone Co. Competitive fairness is apparently not on your radar.
I do respect your opinion on this and respect you for posting what you believe in, however If I was a HS player I would dream of playing against teams like this. For me it would just add more motivation to get better and compete. For me I have a hard time critizing a school that has had all their players ruled eligable and untill they are proven guilty of any wrong doing I don't see the point doing so. If they play the game the way its supposed to be played I can respect that untill they are proven of any wrong doing. Trust me I do understand where you are coming from and you may be right but I was just wanting to express my opinion on this subject as well, who knows in time I may see it that way as well.:Thumbs:
Warriors23RJ Wrote:I do respect your opinion on this and respect you for posting what you believe in, however If I was a HS player I would dream of playing against teams like this. For me it would just add more motivation to get better and compete. For me I have a hard time critizing a school that has had all their players ruled eligable and untill they are proven guilty of any wrong doing I don't see the point doing so. If they play the game the way its supposed to be played I can respect that untill they are proven of any wrong doing. Trust me I do understand where you are coming from and you may be right but I was just wanting to express my opinion on this subject as well, who knows in time I may see it that way as well.:Thumbs:

The players at Transylvania, let's say, can inhale motivation and snort fire to compete and practice until blood oozes out of there toes. Kentucky will beat them, beat them, beat them, like a crazed jockey on a surging horse. I respect human beings; I enjoy the right to state my own and listen to others; debate comes, of course, when we really don't respect the other person's opinion enough to agree with it.
thecavemaster Wrote:IF true, this is a good post. Transfers means the parents who have a "win at all cost" attitude, parents who "love not wisely but too well" get to alter competitive fairness, with the full approval of people what don't care about fairness but just want to watch good basketball. I've seen enough AAU basketball, overheard enough "innocent" inquiries to understand that competitive fairness is a backburner, apparently irrelevant issue. Maybe it is time to bid adieu to the Sweet 16, as only maybe a team or two are "sweet."
So, do you think every transfer that was made in the state, or every transfer that when to a team that wins the regional was not a "sweet" transfer? If you know who much about why everyone that did, went somewhere else... you must work for the KHSAA.
I don't know about all the transfer topic,I know I will probably get flamed for my statement but the KHSAA is a flat out joke in my opinion. It would be nice for a real organization take over all sports in KY. They are the most buck passing group I have ever seen. Unfortunetly they are the only thing we have right now but it is still a joke.:mad:
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:So, do you think every transfer that was made in the state, or every transfer that when to a team that wins the regional was not a "sweet" transfer? If you know who much about why everyone that did, went somewhere else... you must work for the KHSAA.

I do not know every thing about every transfer. Why is this statement always thrown out? Is it supposed to be some sort of argument stopper? No, I do not find anything "sweet" about the Sweet 16 if a majority of the teams use transfer power to get there. Plus, Scott Co. this year wins the gas guzzler prize in the transfer category, way over the top.
post # 2 is funny
Let's not take our eye off the real problem. It's the joke known as the KHSAA.
kj52 Wrote:post # 2 is funny

Irrelevant (not surprising given the source)... but, yes, funny.
I would guess there will be plenty of fans at SC games this year.
rojas Wrote:I would guess there will be plenty of fans at SC games this year.

Don't doubt it...I won't be one of them.
I'm confident that if a walkout was orchestrated, SC would manage to "transfer" in some fans!Big Grin
letthebighogroot Wrote:I'm confident that if a walkout was orchestrated, SC would manage to "transfer" in some fans!Big Grin

I don't care how you are, that's funny right there.
I cut and pasted the message below from another message board.

"I just received my Scott County season ticket renewal, and in the past if you wanted more seats than the previous year you could get them. This year season ticket holders my only purchase the same number of tickets as last year, this due to the high demand from the community."
letthebighogroot Wrote:I'm confident that if a walkout was orchestrated, SC would manage to "transfer" in some fans!Big Grin

Smile Smile Smile Smile
This is a very irrelevant issue. Why does it matter? In the end it only matters who comes ready to play...it doesn't matter who transfers where. Boycotting because a team has a few transfers is CHILDISH!!!!!!
frankie21 Wrote:This is a very irrelevant issue. Why does it matter? In the end it only matters who comes ready to play...it doesn't matter who transfers where. Boycotting because a team has a few transfers is CHILDISH!!!!!!

Define "few", I think if Scott County only had a "few" transfers it wouldn't be a sticking point with a lot of people. JMO
rojas Wrote:I cut and pasted the message below from another message board.

"I just received my Scott County season ticket renewal, and in the past if you wanted more seats than the previous year you could get them. This year season ticket holders my only purchase the same number of tickets as last year, this due to the high demand from the community."

I got the same letter in the mail, just want my same seats back, already paid for them, just waiting for "Meet the Cards" night Nov. 11th to pick them up.
Sounds like a lot of people will be home watching re-runs this winter.
This transfer thing has been rampant for years in everything(from Belfry to Paducah)... but the KHSAA really seems to have lost alot of respect/credibility with the general public within the Commonwealth over the "transfer" issue. I personally believe that Ms. DeVries needs to find her.... and stand up to this issue, she also needs to get rid of some of the members within the KHSAA, who use the "you scratch my back"... mentality and she could stand to address the "public/private" issues as well.
While I realize the KHSAA has a ton of stuff, over which to preside, I do believe they should step up and take a firm position on "transfers" and how to "police" the issue and the appropriate response and consequences.

One more thing to consider: When attending a game, where tranfers are playing, all you have to do is look to the parent section and take in the expressions to see how the "issue" is effecting the team. I watched the Euton kid play last year in the 16th regional tournament... that is the kid we're referring to isn't it? While I understand this kid just wants to play ball, be seen, get a great scholly for college to play @ the next level so do the kids who have been pushed aside to allow a spot for the transfers... sometimes this works out and sometimes teams end up reaping what they've planted.. I wish all good luck, but this issue is gonna never gonna go away because the KHSAA hasn't got it in their collective bag of tricks to find a back bone and deal accordingly.
IISnakE Wrote:This transfer thing has been rampant for years in everything(from Belfry to Paducah)... but the KHSAA really seems to have lost alot of respect/credibility with the general public within the Commonwealth over the "transfer" issue. I personally believe that Ms. DeVries needs to find her.... and stand up to this issue, she also needs to get rid of some of the members within the KHSAA, who use the "you scratch my back"... mentality and she could stand to address the "public/private" issues as well.
While I realize the KHSAA has a ton of stuff, over which to preside, I do believe they should step up and take a firm position on "transfers" and how to "police" the issue and the appropriate response and consequences.

One more thing to consider: When attending a game, where tranfers are playing, all you have to do is look to the parent section and take in the expressions to see how the "issue" is effecting the team. I watched the Euton kid play last year in the 16th regional tournament... that is the kid we're referring to isn't it? While I understand this kid just wants to play ball, be seen, get a great scholly for college to play @ the next level so do the kids who have been pushed aside to allow a spot for the transfers... sometimes this works out and sometimes teams end up reaping what they've planted.. I wish all good luck, but this issue is gonna never gonna go away because the KHSAA hasn't got it in their collective bag of tricks to find a back bone and deal accordingly.

This could possibly be the BEST post I have ever read on here.

The joke known as the KHSAA will not do anything untill somebody files a "Lawsuit" against them and have and have a descent shot at winning.I have read on their sight some of their policies frankly the make me laugh.The transfer situation is not the only problem they turn their head on.

I know some think the KHSAA is better than nothing but I am not so sure.

If I upset anyone I apolochize just the way I feel.