Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 10 year turn about
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the last 10 years what schools have made biggest turn around in the mountains? What teams that have struggled in the past have the brightest future?
I would have to say Knox Central. Has to be one of those programs. KC used to be everyone's homecoming.
Central is one of them
I would say Lawrence County has made the biggest turn around. Too bad the turn was in the wrong direction.
Johnson Central has really turned into state powerhouse over past 10 years

Pikeville was went in to reverse over the past 10 years
johnson central
FOR THE BETTER
- Boyle County made their move from a lightweight program towards one of the most amazing runs in KY history starting in the 1999 season, they have to be consdered around the top.

- Johnson Central has made one of the mnost dramatic turnarounds for sure.

- Lexington Christian only started playing football in the 2000 season and went from a very, very weak program to a 1A Title Contender every year (controversially I must add though)

-Lou. Central can definately fall in this category

-Raceland has also made major strides away from being a very weak 1A team for an extended period of time.

FOR THE WORSE
- Pikeville was one of the most dominant teams in the state regardless of class in the 80's and 90's... now... not so much

- Danville... not as bad as Pikeville, but a FAR cry from what they were

- Lawrence County... from Beast of the East to 1 win in 2 seasons.

- Tates Creek.. once he class of Lexington football, now they would be hardpressed to beat 1A LCA
JC man has came back from the ashes. They had a what 2-8 and a 1-9 season. Now most programs would deff be down in the dumps but if i remember when i was a freshman it was the 1-9 season and my sophmore year it was 7-3 season, my junior year it was 9-3 i believe and then my senior year it was 13-1 so in 4 years we went from a laughin stock to a state championship contender so ya JC has my vote for the most turned around!
Guys JC was pretty good in the mid 90's so their had to be some foundation. Coach Music did a wonderful job of getting them in the right direction. Matney has simplay build on it.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Guys JC was pretty good in the mid 90's so their had to be some foundation. Coach Music did a wonderful job of getting them in the right direction. Matney has simplay build on it.

They may have been and yes Misic did but Matney didnt take over right after Music. Bill Tom Ross did so there was about 4 years were they were down way down!
TooFast Wrote:They may have been and yes Misic did but Matney didnt take over right after Music. Bill Tom Ross did so there was about 4 years were they were down way down!

Yes, i agree. THere was a big let down between Music and Matney. Just about destroyed the program.
Definitly Knox Central. No Doubt About It.
I wold have to definetely go with Johnson Central to have the biggest turn around, and I believe alot of it was that they got some good coaches, who challenges kids and expects them to play a 110 percent every play.
TooFast Wrote:They may have been and yes Misic did but Matney didnt take over right after Music. Bill Tom Ross did so there was about 4 years were they were down way down!

Let's give credit where credit is due. Bruce Humphrey took over immediately after Bill Musick, and I think most of the destruction of Central football was his doing. Bill Tom Ross did continue to throw gas on the fire for two years after that, although I think his health had a lot to do with it.

I agree, though; Central's turnaround is probably the biggest comeback story in mountain football in the last decade. Boyle County's turnaround, though, was far and away the biggest story in the state. To go from being horrible to winning, what, four or five state championships? That's just amazing.
Upswing : Belfry - 2 State Titles and Runner-Up last season

Downswing: Pikeville - Used to be the model of success.. Too many issues internally in the PHS program to be successful.
I would say Johnson Central.....They used to be a homecoming team, and now have trouble scheduling.

On a one year swing, Allen Central may deserve talk. They are 4-2 and have not really been totally outclassed yet......BUT, one year may not be a turn around
I would have to say Allen Central... I have been watching them play for years and this year would have to be one of the BEST ever.. Already looking forward to next year!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO REBELS............
I would have to say Bath county. After bringing a soccer program into the athletics in 1997, they didn't have a winning season until 2006. In the past 2 seasons, they have only lost 4 games. That's pretty good when you went 1-9 for a few years.

They're still looking to get over that playoff game hump and I believe they'll do that this year. Congrats Coach Fields and Coach Armitage.
Let's Give Credit Where Credit Is Due ...even Though Matney May Have A Tad Bit Of Arrogance( Which I Think A Coach Needs). He Is A Heck Of A Coach ...i Survived The Matney Era At Sc In The 90's And He Was Good Then ...johnson Cental Has Had The Best Turn Around Here In The Mountain .....

Pikeville For The Worst ...to Much Internal Conflict There ....
EKUAlum05 Wrote:FOR THE BETTER
- Boyle County made their move from a lightweight program towards one of the most amazing runs in KY history starting in the 1999 season, they have to be consdered around the top.

- Johnson Central has made one of the mnost dramatic turnarounds for sure.

- Lexington Christian only started playing football in the 2000 season and went from a very, very weak program to a 1A Title Contender every year (controversially I must add though)

-Lou. Central can definately fall in this category

-Raceland has also made major strides away from being a very weak 1A team for an extended period of time.

FOR THE WORSE
- Pikeville was one of the most dominant teams in the state regardless of class in the 80's and 90's... now... not so much

- Danville... not as bad as Pikeville, but a FAR cry from what they were

- Lawrence County... from Beast of the East to 1 win in 2 seasons.

- Tates Creek.. once he class of Lexington football, now they would be hardpressed to beat 1A LCA

Gotta disagree with you on Raceland. They have been a very strong 1A team for a long time. They consistanly have had good teams. Unfortunately for them they have had the bad luck of usually getting Beechwood or NCC early in the playoffs. So they have never had those long playoff runs that would make people think they are one of the elite teams in 1A.
BelfryPride Wrote:Upswing : Belfry - 2 State Titles and Runner-Up last season

Downswing: Pikeville - Used to be the model of success.. Too many issues internally in the PHS program to be successful.

I am a Pirate fan but seriously disagree with ya on this one. The Bucs have 5 Consecutive State Semi's appearances, 2 State Titles and 4 Runner-Up's. Can't really swing up too much higher than that. One thing the Pirates have is tradition. They are expected to produce year in and year out and rarely disappoint. :notworthy
Agree with Pikeville though. That used to be a great rival but not anymore.
FBALL Wrote:Gotta disagree with you on Raceland. They have been a very strong 1A team for a long time. They consistanly have had good teams. Unfortunately for them they have had the bad luck of usually getting Beechwood or NCC early in the playoffs. So they have never had those long playoff runs that would make people think they are one of the elite teams in 1A.

Raceland in the 90's was at their very best average, over the past ten years they have progressively gotten to a perennial contender in 1A and have proven they can play with the Beechwood's of the world