Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bob Barr
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Probably gonna end up voting for him. McCain's recent support of the bailout did me in with him. So looks like I'm forced to vote for a Libertarian.
In essence you might as well be voting for McCain if you DO vote for Barr.

A vote for a third party is a vote taken away from the Democratic party...and since we all know that the third party is not going to win, a vote for Barr is a vote for McCain...so why don't you just go ahead and vote for McCain?
I disagree. I think all the Barr voters will be Republicans.

Beetle is the 2nd Republican I know of to switch to Barr.
But they are Republicans that got ****ed at McCain and are just too set in their ways to vote Democrat.
Barr is to McCain in 2008 as Nader was to Gore in 2000.

Vote Barr!!!
I don't really consider myself Republican anymore. They have gone down a path I don't agree with. That being said the Dems went down a path I don't want to follow either, then while on that path they fell off a cliff into the ocean and got swept way out to sea.
Beetle01 Wrote:I don't really consider myself Republican anymore. They have gone down a path I don't agree with. That being said the Dems went down a path I don't want to follow either, then while on that path they fell off a cliff into the ocean and got swept way out to sea.

Yes, yes... the Sea of Change is a great place to cruise.
Ive still yet to understand this change? If it wasn'tfor the mortgage crisis, which I'm sorry just because the Repubs didn't fix it doesn't excsue the Dems for causing it.

Other than that I feel this country is going pretty well. Almost every refinery is currently upgrading their capacities and upgrading so fuel will be going down in the future. You throw that on increased drilling and expansion in better mpg vehicles. What all needs to change? Maybe Education needs to be revamped, but to be honest, as long as your not a complete moron and actually care anyone can get through school, they may have some debt at the end but there are ways around that.

War on terror seems to be going well. Taliban is wanting to give up. Iraq is on the brink of something special. Al Qaeda while I'm sure has something up there sleeve seems to be stuck at 14000ft elevation in a cave. We have everyone in the world except China and Russia against Iran.
Beetle01 Wrote:Ive still yet to understand this change? If it wasn'tfor the mortgage crisis, which I'm sorry just because the Repubs didn't fix it doesn't excsue the Dems for causing it.

Other than that I feel this country is going pretty well. Almost every refinery is currently upgrading their capacities and upgrading so fuel will be going down in the future. You throw that on increased drilling and expansion in better mpg vehicles. What all needs to change? Maybe Education needs to be revamped, but to be honest, as long as your not a complete moron and actually care anyone can get through school, they may have some debt at the end but there are ways around that.

War on terror seems to be going well. Taliban is wanting to give up. Iraq is on the brink of something special. Al Qaeda while I'm sure has something up there sleeve seems to be stuck at 14000ft elevation in a cave. We have everyone in the world except China and Russia against Iran.

You mean the real Axis of Evil?
ComfortEagle Wrote:In essence you might as well be voting for McCain if you DO vote for Barr.

A vote for a third party is a vote taken away from the Democratic party...and since we all know that the third party is not going to win, a vote for Barr is a vote for McCain...so why don't you just go ahead and vote for McCain?

CE, I don't understand your logic here. How is a vote for Barr a vote taken away from the Democratic party?

Seems to me that it is a vote taken away from both major parties. If anything, you could say that it is a vote taken away from the candidate for whom the voter would have otherwise cast their ballot for, which would depend on the voter. In Beetle's case, from reading his previous posts I'm pretty sure that if he was picking between Obama and McCain, he would've gone with McCain. So I would consider his vote for Barr a loss for the Republican party.

I don't know about voting for Barr myself. I certainly agree with more Libertarian positions than I do with either McCain or Obama, but a vote for a third party candidiate is essentially a vote wasted. Like you said, no third-party candidate has any shot to win.
More Cowbell Wrote:CE, I don't understand your logic here. How is a vote for Barr a vote taken away from the Democratic party?

Seems to me that it is a vote taken away from both major parties. If anything, you could say that it is a vote taken away from the candidate for whom the voter would have otherwise cast their ballot for, which would depend on the voter. In Beetle's case, from reading his previous posts I'm pretty sure that if he was picking between Obama and McCain, he would've gone with McCain. So I would consider his vote for Barr a loss for the Republican party.

I don't know about voting for Barr myself. I certainly agree with more Libertarian positions than I do with either McCain or Obama, but a vote for a third party candidiate is essentially a vote wasted. Like you said, no third-party candidate has any shot to win.

I was saying that, like you stated, those who would vote for Barr would have been more likely to vote for McCain than Obama. I worded it wrong.

You're right, a vote for Barr is a vote taken away from McCain, but those voting for Barr would have been voting for McCain otherwise.

As for the second part of my statement I got confused and worded it completely wrong. At the time I must have been thinking of when someone like Nader would run and take away votes from the Democrats.

But you all are right, a vote for Barr will end up going in Obama's favor because it is a vote that McCain will not get.