Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell 41 - Lawrence County 20
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
final
LC has nothing to hang their heads about the score doesn't show how close this game really was. down 7 with 2 minutes to go. This team has talent and they just need to piece a few things together in the end and they will see a win soon. LC just needs to keep fighting and they will get a win.
Congratulations to the Red Devils on a quality win. Lawrence County is a very good football team and was in this game with 2 minutes to go.
Very impressed with Lawrence Co. You all have a bright future ahead of you. I can't say enough about the QB. Russell had a few bad moments yet again. But the ball movement has picked up. AJ needs to learn to tuck and run instead of forcing the play. Congrats Russell you played a quality team and won tonight.
Russell tied the series up 4-4 tonight.
You are right on the money. Lawrence County is a good team that just happens to be 0-6 due to a tough schedule. They have a very good quarterback. If ever you could say a game that ended up a 21 point difference could have gone either way, it is definitely this one. The last couple of touchdowns were sort of irrelevant and after the fact.

Russell did a good job tonight, though. I really think they still have a ways to go if they are going to contend for a state title this year, but they played a respectable game this evening. It seems to me they are ALMOST there in so many facets of the game, but just not quite good enough to make me feel confident that a deep playoff run is coming.

They ran the ball well tonight. Drew Abrams, David Bailey, and A.J. Cordle all ran very well...particularly Abrams who seems to regularly break numerous tackles. They also came through on defense when they had to. I'd like to see better kickoff coverage, better pass defense including a pass rush, and a little more fire from the fans and sidelines. I'm not sure about the blocking. I look forward to reading some other assessments of that. There seems to be several areas that need to be and can be improved. I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Good game, though, to both Russell and Lawrence County.
ryanparker Wrote:You are right on the money. Lawrence County is a good team that just happens to be 0-6 due to a tough schedule. They have a very good quarterback. If ever you could say a game that ended up a 21 point difference could have gone either way, it is definitely this one. The last couple of touchdowns were sort of irrelevant and after the fact.

Russell did a good job tonight, though. I really think they still have a ways to go if they are going to contend for a state title this year, but they played a respectable game this evening. It seems to me they are ALMOST there in so many facets of the game, but just not quite good enough to make me feel confident that a deep playoff run is coming.

They ran the ball well tonight. Drew Abrams, David Bailey, and A.J. Cordle all ran very well...particularly Abrams who seems to regularly break numerous tackles. They also came through on defense when they had to. I'd like to see better kickoff coverage, better pass defense including a pass rush, and a little more fire from the fans and sidelines. I'm not sure about the blocking. I look forward to reading some other assessments of that. There seems to be several areas that need to be and can be improved. I look forward to seeing how it goes.

Good game, though, to both Russell and Lawrence County.

I agree with most of this.

Russell is "almost" in alot of areas. The most important though is mentally. They have the talent to compete for a 3A state title. They played very hard for most of the game but it seemed like every time they were ready to take control of the game there was a little bit of a relax. Especially on defense. Consistant effort even when you have a team down is must if this team wants to win a championship.

Lawrence is a good team. No matter what their record says. They have lost some games to some very good teams. Keep on giving that kind of effort and good things will happen. Shepherd did some good things but to me Frazier may have been the Dawgs most impressive player.

Lawrence County hung around and made it a game, turning the ball over on downs with 2:55 to go in the game. They still had a chance but Russell's running game was just to much for them.

Russell still has alot of room to improve on defense. Still some arm tackling that resulted in one TD that should have never happened. WRAP UP! Some break downs in coverage that were just mental mistakes more than anything. If they are going to run the zone coverage against the spread they are going to have to get more pressure on the QB. You cannot let a good QB set his feet and throw like that.

The offense had some bright spots for Russell but still some breakdowns there as well. Cordle has to make better decisions on where to throw the ball and when to throw it. IMO he holds on to long looking down field. If it is there take it. If not take off and run. There were some opening in the pass game that were not taken advantage of. The rushing offense looked pretty good tonight. The backs ran hard. Some missed blocking assignments allowed too much penetration at times. But that will happen when teams overload the line of scrimmage. Clean that up and I thought the line did a pretty good job tonight.

Overall not a bad game by either team. Lawrence County is not to be taken lightly. They have proven that against some of the best teams in 3A and 2A. 4A better watch out. I'm not sure what happened against Boyd County last week, but the Bulldog team I watched tonight was better than the Lions I watched in week 2. They play hard and they have some talent.
I agree. It is hard to imagine how this team lost to Boyd County.

Is Russell's line just weaker this year than in the past few years or is it something the other teams are doing that we aren't responding to coaching-wise? I ask this because it does seem there is a lot of penetration on both run and pass plays.
ryanparker Wrote:I agree. It is hard to imagine how this team lost to Boyd County.

Is Russell's line just weaker this year than in the past few years or is it something the other teams are doing that we aren't responding to coaching-wise? I ask this because it does seem there is a lot of penetration on both run and pass plays.

The line actually did a pretty good job tonight. Its hard blocking 9 with 7. The biggest difference to me is in the passing game. I'm not knocking Cordle here. But last year Jones was big and strong enough to stand in there with guys hanging on him and still deliever the ball down field. AJ is not as tall or strong and does not have as much experience running the offenese. To me when AJ starts making his reads faster, and I believe he will, The passing game and the running game will both improve. Teams are going to continue to bring that much heat until the Devils burn them some. Even under pressure there were some opportunities there tonight.
On another note. Whoever was in charge of the pregame music might want to listen to it the next game before they play it. I like disturbed but it may be a little inappropriate at a high school football game. Unless its the Wal-Mart version.
Congrats , red devils.
FBALL Wrote:On another note. Whoever was in charge of the pregame music might want to listen to it the next game before they play it. I like disturbed but it may be a little inappropriate at a high school football game. Unless its the Wal-Mart version.

Better than the country music.
What music were they playing tonight?
Congrats to the Red Devils, How did the Devils be up only 7 with 2 minutes to go then win 41-20? Must have a very exciting last 2 minutes.

All Devil fans enjoy your win because a defeat is coming your way on the 10th.Big Grin
Grats Devils!

I have to say though, I really hate it for the kids at LCHS. They're 0-6 now, but they've played the best that eastern KY has to offer, regardless of class, and have played their guts out, keeping the games very close. With a new coaching staff, this was expected to be a rebuilding year for the Dawgs, but they've played very solid football it seems, they just keep coming up on the short end of the scoreboard.

Question: Have they played any district games yet?
Sarrr Wrote:Grats Devils!

I have to say though, I really hate it for the kids at LCHS. They're 0-6 now, but they've played the best that eastern KY has to offer, regardless of class, and have played their guts out, keeping the games very close. With a new coaching staff, this was expected to be a rebuilding year for the Dawgs, but they've played very solid football it seems, they just keep coming up on the short end of the scoreboard.

Not trying to make anyone mad Lawrence is doing the right thing by playing a tough schedule.This will only help this team in the future. I take my hat off to the coaching staff. 0-6 playing top notch teams is better than 3-3 against weak teams for the futures sake.
Sarrr Wrote:Grats Devils!

The only district game Lawrence has played was against Boyd County and I sure can't figure how they managed to lose that game after having watched both teams play Russell. Lawrence County's next 2 games are against the other teams in their district, Rowan County and Greenup County. I would think they would win both of these games. But to top things off, they then finish the season with Breathitt County and Letcher County Central, 2 more outstanding teams. At least their final 3 games are at home. They have played on the road for 4 out of their first 6 games.
kybaseball Wrote:Congrats to the Red Devils, How did the Devils be up only 7 with 2 minutes to go then win 41-20? Must have a very exciting last 2 minutes.

All Devil fans enjoy your win because a defeat is coming your way on the 10th.Big Grin

Russell stopped Lawrence County inside the 10 yard line on 4th down with 2 minutes to go on an incomplete pass play that could have tied the game. Russell then took 2 plays to score by breaking about a 90 yard run and then punching it in for the TD making it 34-20. Lawrence County proceeded to fumble on their 2nd play from scrimmage and Russell returned it to within their 10 yard line. So then Russell scored again with under a minute to go setting the final margin of victory. To be honest, I was a little surprised Russell didn't just kneel on the ball up 34-20 with less than a minute to go.

As for the defeat coming Russell's way next week...I really hope Lewis County is better than they were last year. I became a Lewis County fan last year when they showed up at Russell with what seemed to be less than 22 players (I forget exactly how many there were but it was the most obvious mismatch from watching the pre-game warmups that I ever seen on a football field). Those guys who played the game for Lewis showed a lot of heart. As I recall, they had a QB and receiver who worked well together. Judging from their results this year, I don't expect this year to be much different, though. I hope they compete, manage to keep the game respectable, and I hope both sides avoid any injuries.
FBALL Wrote:On another note. Whoever was in charge of the pregame music might want to listen to it the next game before they play it. I like disturbed but it may be a little inappropriate at a high school football game. Unless its the Wal-Mart version.

That's funny! I agree on this note as well...no pun intended. Smile They could be a little more "mainstream" and kid-friendly with their choice of pregame music.
ryanparker Wrote:Russell stopped Lawrence County inside the 10 yard line on 4th down with 2 minutes to go on an incomplete pass play that could have tied the game. Russell then took 2 plays to score by breaking about a 90 yard run and then punching it in for the TD making it 34-20. Lawrence County proceeded to fumble on their 2nd play from scrimmage and Russell returned it to within their 10 yard line. So then Russell scored again with under a minute to go setting the final margin of victory. To be honest, I was a little surprised Russell didn't just kneel on the ball up 34-20 with less than a minute to go.

As for the defeat coming Russell's way next week...I really hope Lewis County is better than they were last year. I became a Lewis County fan last year when they showed up at Russell with what seemed to be less than 22 players (I forget exactly how many there were but it was the most obvious mismatch from watching the pre-game warmups that I ever seen on a football field). Those guys who played the game for Lewis showed a lot of heart. As I recall, they had a QB and receiver who worked well together. Judging from their results this year, I don't expect this year to be much different, though. I hope they compete, manage to keep the game respectable, and I hope both sides avoid any injuries.

Thanks for the info.

I was just kidding about the defeat part.The reciever you mentioned graduated last year and the QB has a hurt hand and han't played that position very much the last couple of games. They have a lot more players this year but not very many are getting to play.But that is improving.All joking aside and I don't want to hurt anyone's feeling's but it will be a running clock for Russell in the third quarter.Hopefull there will be no injuries on either team.
I thought the game went well. Still some penalties that killed 2 drives. Also one drive ended with what should have been a pass interference when Mitchell had his guy beat. Still though it was a good game. LC did a good job of not making any mistakes. The defense bent but didn't break. I thought the line played 100 times better, still quite a ways to go, but atleast they played with some aggressiveness. The attitude of the team was 100% better, they need to play every game like that, with no let downs. Even though LC was still in the game, I think the score indicates the difference in the teams. They didn't give us our onside kick we recovered, then they break the next play for a 60yd td run.

LC never loaded the box so the run was there all night, our line does well when they are not overwhelmed with defenders at the point of attack.
Devil09 Wrote:Better than the country music.

Oh yeah. I'll take it over Country music every day.

But the unsensored version had some four letter words blaring over the loudspeakers. Probably not appropriate for a highschool event.
ryanparker Wrote:Russell stopped Lawrence County inside the 10 yard line on 4th down with 2 minutes to go on an incomplete pass play that could have tied the game. Russell then took 2 plays to score by breaking about a 90 yard run and then punching it in for the TD making it 34-20. Lawrence County proceeded to fumble on their 2nd play from scrimmage and Russell returned it to within their 10 yard line. So then Russell scored again with under a minute to go setting the final margin of victory. To be honest, I was a little surprised Russell didn't just kneel on the ball up 34-20 with less than a minute to go.

Not to nitpick but, There was 2:55 left in the game when Russell stopped the Lawrence County drive.

The final TD suprised more people than just you. He was supposed to take a knee. It was just a quarterback sneak right up the middle. If you noticed Russell had a different QB on the field to take a knee for the final play. Some one was chewing on the other ones ear pretty good on the sideline.
Beetle01 Wrote:I thought the game went well. Still some penalties that killed 2 drives. Also one drive ended with what should have been a pass interference when Mitchell had his guy beat. Still though it was a good game. LC did a good job of not making any mistakes. The defense bent but didn't break. I thought the line played 100 times better, still quite a ways to go, but atleast they played with some aggressiveness. The attitude of the team was 100% better, they need to play every game like that, with no let downs. Even though LC was still in the game, I think the score indicates the difference in the teams. They didn't give us our onside kick we recovered, then they break the next play for a 60yd td run.

LC never loaded the box so the run was there all night, our line does well when they are not overwhelmed with defenders at the point of attack.

I agree that Russell played with more effort tonight than they have all season. But there were still some lapses. Every time they get up 2 TDs they seem to relax on defense.

Packs 60 yard TD should never have happened. He was piled up and instead of hitting and wrapping 2 guys come in and throw a shoulder in but never put their arms around him.

Alot of the passing yards were against that soft zone in the second half. Again, if you are going to play that kind of defense someone has to gets some pressure on the QB.

I wish Russell had more games like this were they were forced into a gut check. It only helps them. I also thought the attitude of the team was much better.
FBALL Wrote:Not to nitpick but, There was 2:55 left in the game when Russell stopped the Lawrence County drive.

The final TD suprised more people than just you. He was supposed to take a knee. It was just a quarterback sneak right up the middle. If you noticed Russell had a different QB on the field to take a knee for the final play. Some one was chewing on the other ones ear pretty good on the sideline.

Wasnt talking about the TD that put them up 14 it was the one with 58 secs togo in the game.... Weather it was called or not that just shows the class by not going to a knee.
Tough Loss Lc. Keep Your Heads Up. Good Luck Next Week.
Batpuff Wrote:Wasnt talking about the TD that put them up 14 it was the one with 58 secs togo in the game.... Weather it was called or not that just shows the class by not going to a knee.
I wasn't talking about the one that put them up 14 either. I was talking about the last one that put them up 21.

And as I said it was a QB sneak. Not exactly the play you call if you want to run up the score.
Lawrence Co. is a very good team. They did a better job mixing things up but they still got to get the ball more to their receivers and take some pressure of the run game.
kybaseball Wrote:Congrats to the Red Devils, How did the Devils be up only 7 with 2 minutes to go then win 41-20? Must have a very exciting last 2 minutes.

I'm surprised that you feel that Lewis County has improved that much over last year. Now you may be right but I don't think so.
Jeepman Wrote:I'm surprised that you feel that Lewis County has improved that much over last year. Now you may be right but I don't think so.
I believe he was joking. Notice the smilie.
Pages: 1 2