Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Swindall ruled ineligible by KHSAA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I heard from a source that Brittany Swindall has been ruled ineligible by the KHSAA. Maybe someone here can verify this. I know none of the circumstances behind the KHSAA's decision. All I know is,if true, she will be ineligible to play at Valley or any other school in Ky this season. This young lady has a world of talent and it would be a shame if she has to sit out a year. I wish her the best.

As for Shelby Valley (aka West Ridge). I have heard several people refer to them as "West Ridge" because 3 of their starters (4 had Swindall played) are from East Ridge.

Way to work those feeder schools there Valley. I'm sure the people in the Virgie & Dorton areas are thrilled.
East Ridge should be East Ridge and Valley should be Valley. Stay at the school you are meant to be attending and play for them. Obviously people switch to go play for a "better team who will win more" or "presents more oppurtunities" but in doing so, when half the team is supposed to be at your original school, what was the point of EVERYONE changing?

Not just ER and Valley, same goes for every school. It has went on since the beginning of the sport I'm sure and will always happen but geesh.
West Ridge??? Kids leave for a reason. What was her reason? By the way name the 3 players that were East Ridge property. Other than Salyers there are none.
I am going to assume these were the players the original poster were speaking of:

Amanda Sawyers, as mentioned
Brooke Coleman
Kayla Cantrell
and would have been Brittany Swindall
Coleman played ball at Virgie Middle. Cantrell enrolled at SV at the beginning of her freshmen year. SV has several kids from Millard(Cantrell), mostly non-athletes. So neither could be considered ER's.
If you go to a feeder school to a high school then you should continue on to the high school that all other students go to. In all cases too, not just the ER/SV one. It's a point that I've been trying to make for years. Coleman played sports for feeder school teams before she went to Virgie and I'm sure Cantrell did the same.
Agreed to an extent. But as a parent one must do what is best for the child and in some cases a different school is chosen. Why did Swindell leave ER?
ADMIN NOTE:Accusations of illegal activity(recruiting) should be addressed to the KHSAA not blasted on the internet under an assumed name.

Good luck to Swindall, I hope the best for you and your family.
Bad move for Spears considering where he is now.
Swindall left because she had a problem with ER's coach.
im sorry no matter where you went to middle school, you should have the choice to go to whichever high school you want. no matter for what reasons you have. and if they want to change for sports they should be able to. and im sorry west ridge is so stupid. kayla cantrell played a year of freshman ball for east ridge but came to valley before she ever played on varsity, brooke coleman moved to virgie (A VALLEY FEEDER SCHOOL, may i remind everyone ) her 8th grade year. and amanda sawyers moved her freshman year and went through the proper steps. brittany swindall and her family have also followed the steps they should have and she should be able to play. let her play wherever she wants to.

your truly "west ridge" #22
softball Wrote:im sorry no matter where you went to middle school, you should have the choice to go to whichever high school you want. no matter for what reasons you have. and if they want to change for sports they should be able to. and im sorry west ridge is so stupid. kayla cantrell played a year of freshman ball for east ridge but came to valley before she ever played on varsity, brooke coleman moved to virgie (A VALLEY FEEDER SCHOOL, may i remind everyone ) her 8th grade year. and amanda sawyers moved her freshman year and went through the proper steps. brittany swindall and her family have also followed the steps they should have and she should be able to play. let her play wherever she wants to.

your truly "west ridge" #22

Kids shouldn't just get a choice in which high school they go to. If you go through an elementary school, then middle school that feeds into a high school, go to that high school. Parents are switching children in middle school now in order to play jr. high sports for "the better team." No one realizes that if none of the parents transferred their kids in the first place, the team that they were supposed to be on would be good. If a bus runs by your house and takes other children where you live to school A, then you should have to go to school A too. No reason why you should not. I didn't just up and pick to go to a different high school that was 30 miles away from me but still in my county simply because I wanted to...

Also, most people who change schools to play sports don't go through the whole legal process. The KHSAA simply does not know all the facts or put the necessary effort into finding them out. I'm surprised that Swindall was ruled ineligible considering that rarely happens. All things said and done, those people who moved to Valley's school district and remains there the entire time their child plays/attends that school have the right to be there. If that criteria isn't met, then they do not.

I can't stop her from playing wherever she wants to, but obviously the KHSAA can.
I respect your comment but I don't agree with it. ER needs to find out why kids are leaving and fix that problem.Don't blame the school that they are transferring to.This is a free country and the schools are open for everyone.Both schools are excellent.If you are happy with the decision they made you should be ashamed of yourself.remember what goes around will come around, Tell us why she left for.I hope the best for her.God bless!
Tubby Lover Wrote:I respect your comment but I don't agree with it. ER needs to find out why kids are leaving and fix that problem.Don't blame the school that they are transferring to.This is a free country and the schools are open for everyone.Both schools are excellent.If you are happy with the decision they made you should be ashamed of yourself.remember what goes around will come around, Tell us why she left for.I hope the best for her.God bless!

I'm not blaming either school. I don't know why she left and it really makes no difference. It's a free country but free in the fact that I could decide to drive all the way to Belfry tomorrow and start attending school there? That wouldn't make much sense now, would it? I'm not happy with their decision, I'm indifferent in fact. I'm not boasting or gripping about the conclusion that they reached, I obviously have nothing to do with it. She can go to school at Valley, Pikeville, Pike Central, or Phelps for all I care and play basketball at any one of them. My point is that the KHSAA for once ruled someone ineligible and ALL kids need to stop switching schools just to play on what they deem the better team.
If I were ER's coach,which I am not, I would want any player that does not want to be there to leave or not play. What if you knew as a parent that transferring your kid meant a better chance at a scholarship? Would you let them move? I say let all kids transfer because we allow out of state kids to attend schools in Ky.
thetribe Wrote:I'm not blaming either school. I don't know why she left and it really makes no difference. It's a free country but free in the fact that I could decide to drive all the way to Belfry tomorrow and start attending school there? That wouldn't make much sense now, would it? I'm not happy with their decision, I'm indifferent in fact. I'm not boasting or gripping about the conclusion that they reached, I obviously have nothing to do with it. She can go to school at Valley, Pikeville, Pike Central, or Phelps for all I care and play basketball at any one of them. My point is that the KHSAA for once ruled someone ineligible and ALL kids need to stop switching schools just to play on what they deem the better team.

if you want to go to belfry and drive all the way then why dont you...do what you feel is best for you. that is what brittany and her family did. they have a house not 5 min. away from the school. i am sure you would do something to have to have better things. would you switch jobs if you made more money? im sure you would if you didnt have a reason for stayin at the old one. and one question..you all ask what her reasons for movin are. well let me ask what were her reasons for stayin??..let her play and be happy...we all have our own opinions but she loves the sport and has made her decision. dont keep her from doin something she loves because she wanted to change one detail.
thetribe Wrote:Kids shouldn't just get a choice in which high school they go to. If you go through an elementary school, then middle school that feeds into a high school, go to that high school. Parents are switching children in middle school now in order to play jr. high sports for "the better team." No one realizes that if none of the parents transferred their kids in the first place, the team that they were supposed to be on would be good. If a bus runs by your house and takes other children where you live to school A, then you should have to go to school A too. No reason why you should not. I didn't just up and pick to go to a different high school that was 30 miles away from me but still in my county simply because I wanted to...

Also, most people who change schools to play sports don't go through the whole legal process. The KHSAA simply does not know all the facts or put the necessary effort into finding them out. I'm surprised that Swindall was ruled ineligible considering that rarely happens. All things said and done, those people who moved to Valley's school district and remains there the entire time their child plays/attends that school have the right to be there. If that criteria isn't met, then they do not.

I can't stop her from playing wherever she wants to, but obviously the KHSAA can.

I disagree . . . about the bus thing. The East Ridge bus goes by our house and we are in the East Ridge district. It takes a good 40 minutes on a dangerous two lane 460 Hwy to get to East Ridge. However, we live 5 miles from Shelby Valley, a 6 minute drive - 4 lane all the way. Why put my kids on a bus in those conditions when I can send them to a better school, closer to home, closer to my job if I need to pick them up early? (And have you seen the price of gas?) Did you ever consider this is the reason why parents who live closer to Valley send their kids there?
Um, I used to ride the bus on the 'dangerous 460 road' every day, and now I drive it everyday. I don't see any reason for anyone to think it is anymore dangerous than the highway. Especially for people that have lived in this area all of their lives and know the roads like the back of their hand. EDIT: The closer to home argument I agree with, but I don't believe that applies in this situation.
i'm just not a big fan of parents and coaches talking kids into switching schools and leaving all of the friends they have made since kindergarten behind just because of sports.
SOunds like some people are tired of losing! I think it is time for everyone to look at your school, program, and administration for the problem. You cannot blame a kid wanting to be apart of a positive, winning program.

No ruling has been made on Swindal.
evan Wrote:Um, I used to ride the bus on the 'dangerous 460 road' every day, and now I drive it everyday. I don't see any reason for anyone to think it is anymore dangerous than the highway. Especially for people that have lived in this area all of their lives and know the roads like the back of their hand. EDIT: The closer to home argument I agree with, but I don't believe that applies in this situation.

It does apply to Kayla Cantrell and Brooke Coleman.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:i'm just not a big fan of parents and coaches talking kids into switching schools and leaving all of the friends they have made since kindergarten behind just because of sports.

You might be suprised about who's decision it really is. My child came to me and ask if she could please transfer. People get on here and have no idea the circumstances and run their mouth. People need to know the facts. As a parent I wanted my child to be happy and it was by far the best decision for us. I have no regrets.

Please let the kids be happy!!!!! It is selfish to not want a child to succeed, just because they have transferred schools. People that get on here and down a child for moving is selfish. That also includes the ones that try to stop a child from playing at another school. I understand we have rules to go by, but let a child be happy and succeed in life.
This move had nothing to do with a child succeding. Has anyone saw the test scores? ER was second in the county, why would the Swindall girl leave that? She had a problem with the coach so she decided to leave. And if I didn't know any better, I doubt she thought of her friends and teammates. Once you have been with people your whole life how could you just get up and go out of the blue? But I wish the best for the Swindall family!
wiper_blade9 Wrote:This move had nothing to do with a child succeding. Has anyone saw the test scores? ER was second in the county, why would the Swindall girl leave that? She had a problem with the coach so she decided to leave. And if I didn't know any better, I doubt she thought of her friends and teammates. Once you have been with people your whole life how could you just get up and go out of the blue? But I wish the best for the Swindall family!

A couple of her friends have already switched to valley. And the whole ball team knew her before she switched, alot of girls from different ball teams are friends. And my daughter went to East Ridge most of her freshman year and can compare the two schools and says she didnt learn anything at East Ridge compared to Valley. Just because ER's scores went dramatically up randomly this year doesnt mean that that is a better school.
SVLadiesFan Wrote:A couple of her friends have already switched to valley. And the whole ball team knew her before she switched, alot of girls from different ball teams are friends. And my daughter went to East Ridge most of her freshman year and can compare the two schools and says she didnt learn anything at East Ridge compared to Valley. Just because ER's scores went dramatically up randomly this year doesnt mean that that is a better school.

Actually, it means that East Ridge done a heck of a lot better than Valley did. They were dead last. That's not a school that my child would want to go to, unless it was for another reason. Swindall didn't tell her friends and teammates what she was doing.
wiper_blade9 Wrote:Has anyone saw the test scores? ER was second in the county, why would the Swindall girl leave that?

wiper_blade9 Wrote:Actually, it means that East Ridge done a heck of a lot better than Valley did. They were dead last.

Actually, you can look up the 2008 CATS scores for all Kentucky schools on kentucky.com.

http://www.kentucky.com/601/story/518507...y=District

Shelby Valley scored a 78.8, ranking #103 among all state high schools.

East Ridge scored a 77.8, ranking #112 among all state high schools.

Not that Shelby Valley had much to brag about, as they finished fourth out of the five Pike County high schools. But they weren't in last, like you said; that would actually be East Ridge. Next time, please check your information first before posting.
Well then if East Ridge is so great why do their best players leave or don't even consider the school for high school. They have no consistancy in their program, but they may change now. Bobby Spears will stay until they have to fire him.
Getting a coach in there to stay would be the best thing the Warriors could do. Shoot, that goes for any team up there, not just girls basketball either.
This is to wiperblade9. It's not about other people, it's about what makes her happy. She doesn't, and didn't have to tell no one. To the More Cowbell person, that's a great post. Oh, and why would the Swindall girl stay for the test scores? You think that matters to her,or any other child her age that plays sports? Not many,she wants to be on a winning team, let her.
To talk to the girls at East Ridge they really don't have a problem with her leaving. It is the adults that are upset. I would love to know what her family did to turn the administration, Bobby Spears, and the board member against a child. Why would they want to punish a little girl? I thought that they were in it for the kids, not to hurt them? If they are in it for the kids then they will let the kids be happy!
Pages: 1 2