Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry 47 - Shelby Valley 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pirates roll up over 500 yards of offense, Lee, Varney, and Lovern all go over 100 yards rushing, Elkins 7/10 for 79 yards.

Belfry played well minus alot of penalties and a nasty 2:00 drill attempt at the end of the first half that nearly lead to a SV Touchdown.
Congrats Pirates!! No big surprise here!
Belfry had an offensive explosion....their defense looked a little sloppy though.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Congrats Pirates!! No big surprise here!

Actually you're wrong...this is a big suprise. Shelby Valley has never competed with Belfry... not once has Belfry had to keep their 1st string in until the 4th quarter. I mean it was 20 to nothing at halftime...that is amazing for Shelby Valley.
Congrats to both teams... Belfry for winning and Shelby Vallley for playing their hardest.
bigbucfan Wrote:Belfry had an offensive explosion....their defense looked a little sloppy though.

Still needs work, but they shut out SV's offense and only allowed around 150 yards until trash time late in the 4th.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Still needs work, but they shut out SV's offense and only allowed around 150 yards until trash time late in the 4th.

Very uneven first half, but much more consistent second half, considering all the people who have either quit or are hurt or have been changing positions, its a good performance before a week off. Nathan Carroll made a couple of big defensive plays and he really runs well at fullback. If I was giving this game a grade it would be somewhere in the B range. Thomas Varney still amazes me with all he can do and David Jones noticed this as well and had high praise for his speed and all-around ability.
mr.facts Wrote:Actually you're wrong...this is a big suprise. Shelby Valley has never competed with Belfry... not once has Belfry had to keep their 1st string in until the 4th quarter. I mean it was 20 to nothing at halftime...that is amazing for Shelby Valley.
Congrats to both teams... Belfry for winning and Shelby Vallley for playing their hardest.

Belfry's starting offense failed to score on only one posession, the last posession of the first half. SV did not ever quit, but when you give up 500 yards of offense and only have 150 when Belfry pulls their varsity, it is pretty uneven still.

I absolutely love what Saunders is doing at SV, the Wildcats are about three strong freshman classes away from from being on a very competitive level. If SV fans and administration continue to support him and their football program then good things will come.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Still needs work, but they shut out SV's offense and only allowed around 150 yards until trash time late in the 4th.

I agree. We did shut down SV's offense, but there were a couple of times that receivers were wide open, and the qb would over throw or throw to the wrong man.
Read what Pamela Scott Johnson wrote about the Belfry Pirates and their victory Friday Night over the Shelby Valley Wildcats. Plus game photos. BelfryKy.com
Congrats Pirates
mr.facts Wrote:Actually you're wrong...this is a big suprise. Shelby Valley has never competed with Belfry... not once has Belfry had to keep their 1st string in until the 4th quarter. I mean it was 20 to nothing at halftime...that is amazing for Shelby Valley.

Actually I was referring to the outcome not the play during the game. But no I am right because SV didn't compete with Belfry tonight - look at the stats! But to SV's credit, their program is getting better. They are on the right track. But they can't seriously compete with Belfry, but very few teams in EKY can. So it is not that bad of a thing. Good luck to both the rest of the season.
You have remember the difference in the size of these schools. valley is a single A school.
SVLadiesFan Wrote:You have remember the difference in the size of these schools. valley is a single A school.

Isn't Shelby Valley a 2A school???
SVLadiesFan Wrote:You have remember the difference in the size of these schools. valley is a single A school.

At most there is 200 kids difference............
Congrats Belfry

Until the 6 class alignment Valley was in the same district and class as Belfry.

The only difference between Belfry & Shelby Valley is tradition.

Belfry is a football school and Valley is a basketball school.
I'm gonna drop a "what if", and yes, I realize they mean nothing, but let's think about it for a bit...

What if Valley scored at the end of the half and the game is 20-7? A two touchdown lead at the half means Valley would have still very much been in the game. They were one play from being alive at halftime against a powerhouse team in a class (3A) above them.

The score is a bit misleading. Yes, Belfry was the better team, and dominantly so, but Valley was a dropped pass and a fumble away from this game being a lot closer than it was. They looked pretty good on the field actually, but when Belfry's line shows up to play and opens holes for running backs who are simply faster than you are, there's not much you can do about it. And there's nothing to be ashamed of in that either.
Sarrr Wrote:I'm gonna drop a "what if", and yes, I realize they mean nothing, but let's think about it for a bit...

What if Valley scored at the end of the half and the game is 20-7? A two touchdown lead at the half means Valley would have still very much been in the game. They were one play from being alive at halftime against a powerhouse team in a class (3A) above them.

The score is a bit misleading. Yes, Belfry was the better team, and dominantly so, but Valley was a dropped pass and a fumble away from this game being a lot closer than it was. They looked pretty good on the field actually, but when Belfry's line shows up to play and opens holes for running backs who are simply faster than you are, there's not much you can do about it. And there's nothing to be ashamed of in that either.

If Valley scores before the half Belfry wins this game 47-7 instead and Valley doesn't get their touchdown on the last play of the game.
Congrats Pirates!!

I BEG to differ.... click the link to see for yourself... According to KHSAA...Shelby Valley is 2A....

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/kh...fb08/27802
The only good football for Pike county is on pond creek.... Not from there or have no ties to that part of the state, but they are the only one...
EKY Sportster Wrote:Actually I was referring to the outcome not the play during the game. But no I am right because SV didn't compete with Belfry tonight - look at the stats! But to SV's credit, their program is getting better. They are on the right track. But they can't seriously compete with Belfry, but very few teams in EKY can. So it is not that bad of a thing. Good luck to both the rest of the season.

If things are so uneven (ability, class size etc), why is SV playing Belfry? It sounds like SV put up a good fight. It must not be easy for an "underdog" team to line up against Belfry.

A bit off topic, but I must say...it amazes me how so many teams, coaches and players that are not even in Belfry's district have so many negative comments about Belfry. I suppose it should be considered a compliment, tho because if we weren't a force to be reckoned with, we wouldn't be talked about so much. :Thumbs:
BlueSky Wrote:The only good football for Pike county is on pond creek.... Not from there or have no ties to that part of the state, but they are the only one...

I agree. Even outside of Pike Co., I have seen a few programs that come close, but never seen one with as much tradition, pride, community support and spirit. :Thumbs:
TeamMom Wrote:I agree. Even outside of Pike Co., I have seen a few programs that come close, but never seen one with as much tradition, pride, community support and spirit. :Thumbs:

I have to agree this has been true for some time, but it seems like Estill is improving with this as well. I love to see the signs of support upon entering Belfry territory and I would love to see Estill build this type of program as well.
BlueSky Wrote:The only good football for Pike county is on pond creek.... Not from there or have no ties to that part of the state, but they are the only one...
Very true...and no other team is even close right now!
TeamMom Wrote:I agree. Even outside of Pike Co., I have seen a few programs that come close, but never seen one with as much tradition, pride, community support and spirit. :Thumbs:

I know of one that will give almost any team a run for their money as far as fan support and pride not to mention tradition.Wink
Midee1 Wrote:I know of one that will give almost any team a run for their money as far as fan support and pride not to mention tradition.Wink
In Pike Co. right now??? Who is it?
bball fan Wrote:In Pike Co. right now??? Who is it?

Nope it's outside of Pike Co.
Midee1 Wrote:Nope it's outside of Pike Co.
Yeah Breathitt is right there with us. :lmao: Cause I know you wasn't talking about the Red Devils. I'm just messing with ya.
Pages: 1 2