Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is there a rule about playing middle school and starting Varsity..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any one know.......
I don't know of a rule, but I don't see how it would be very safe for someone not in high school to play varsity ball.
sportsfan22 Wrote:Any One No.......

What rule are you looking for?

You can play HS ball if you are in the 7th or 8th grade if you are good enough.

KHSAA has no rule about playing up in basketball.
Thats it I got asked that question today and I did'nt have no clue if you played varsity would they still let you play middle school...
No.... No rules to this effect. See O.J. Mayo living in Huntington and the little Rose Hill Bus going to get him and taking him home. West Virginia has a rule against this....as does Ohio. But Kentucky does not. OJ started Varsity as a 6th grader at Rose Hill.
Thanks for the info...Alright now do you think this should be a rule in the state.
Personally I don't..........The transfer rules aren't enforced why would one like this be????? I think if a kid is able to compete at the high school level and his/her parents have no reservations about it...........let them play.
KHSAA regulates high school sports only...not middle school...players can play up...(i.e. OJ Mayo, Jody Thompson, JJ Hylton, Todd Conley, Elijah Justice...just to name a few that come to mind)
What grade was Thompson in when he played up? Just curious.
I believe the rule for basketball is that you can play varsity beginning in 4th grade. 4th grade through 8th grade does not effect eligibilty. A player can play at one school throught 8th grade and still attend any high school they chose without penalty.

The rule that I have not seen enforced is 8th graders that stay back after being promoted to 9th grade. Once promoted to 9th (whether they go to 9th or not) their 8 semesters of eligibilty begins. Meaning, they cannot play their senior year.
cart man Wrote:I believe the rule for basketball is that you can play varsity beginning in 4th grade. 4th grade through 8th grade does not effect eligibilty. A player can play at one school throught 8th grade and still attend any high school they chose without penalty.

The rule that I have not seen enforced is 8th graders that stay back after being promoted to 9th grade. Once promoted to 9th (whether they go to 9th or not) their 8 semesters of eligibilty begins. Meaning, they cannot play their senior year.

This rule is inforced. If an 8th grader stays back, yes his eligibility does begin. however, there are no infractions as long as the 8th grader plays in middle school only his second 8th grade season. If he plays or dresses in any game of freshman or higher it counts against him. So yes it is inforced.
cart man Wrote:I

The rule you are speaking of has been enforced at least a couple times. Rodney Haddix would have been Scott County's top returning player for the 06/07 season. However, Haddix had repeated 8th grade and was ruled ineligible. Haddix is now playing at Miami of Ohio. Can you imagine how good SC would habe been with Haddix, Mackey, and Walls? In a similar case a kid at Middlesboro was ruled ineligible for the same reason.
OffTheHook Wrote:This rule is inforced. If an 8th grader stays back, yes his eligibility does begin. however, there are no infractions as long as the 8th grader plays in middle school only his second 8th grade season. If he plays or dresses in any game of freshman or higher it counts against him. So yes it is inforced.

This is not exactly accurate. If a kid is promoted from 8th grade his 4 year eligibility begins at that time. It doesn't matter if the kid plays 8th grade, high school, or not at all his 2nd year in 8th grade. Please see Bylaw 4. Sec 1) A. below.

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw4.pdf
I knew 4 boys and 10 or 11 girls that play high school basketball there 8TH grade year. An most of them went on to play college ball. There is one on the top of my head that went to college but got kick out for drugs.... and he went to a DAV.1 college too.... The rest of them went to a NAIA college
An 8th grader is allowed to go up and play. But after their first varsity minute they cant go back down to middle school. They can play all the jv they want and still play middle school. But not varsity.
the dark wizard Wrote:An 8th grader is allowed to go up and play. But after their first varsity minute they cant go back down to middle school. They can play all the jv they want and still play middle school. But not varsity.

This may be a local rule. I don't think this is a KHSAA rule. I could be wrong.
the dark wizard Wrote:An 8th grader is allowed to go up and play. But after their first varsity minute they cant go back down to middle school. They can play all the jv they want and still play middle school. But not varsity.

No such rule in khsaa. As long as an eight grader isnt promoted he/she can
stay back and again. No matter if they play jv or varsity that year. Howerver the year they stay back they are not allowed to play any high school sport jv or otherwise. As a matter of fact a as long as a child isnt promoted into ninth grade or turn nineteen before their senior year, they stay back more then once, for example if a kid started school early. Khsaa has no authority in middle school athletics. YET!
Why is that in basketball middle school can play up but not in football?
HHS-GAL Wrote:No such rule in khsaa. As long as an eight grader isnt promoted he/she can
stay back and again. No matter if they play jv or varsity that year. Howerver the year they stay back they are not allowed to play any high school sport jv or otherwise. As a matter of fact a as long as a child isnt promoted into ninth grade or turn nineteen before their senior year, they stay back more then once, for example if a kid started school early. Khsaa has no authority in middle school athletics. YET!

OK you said eighth grader. If somone is heldback in 6th grade, which means he shoud be in seventh grade. Once he gets to eithth grade and then plays jv or varisty, does that count? I thought there was an age limit on playing varisty bb. Is that where his birthdate, age, comes into play in his senior year instead of how many years he has played high school ball.
UK Wildcat Wrote:Why is that in basketball middle school can play up but not in football?

According to the KHSAA elementary and middle school kids are permitted to play varsity "non-contact" sports. Basketball is considered a non-contact sport. The KHSAA considers football and soccer as contact sports.
Interesting
I know Leslie County played 8th graders on varsity.
Sadly, there are no rules against middle schoolers playing up. But, there should be. The only thing is that if a middle schooler plays even one second of varsity as a middle schooler, then it starts their eligibility for high school. But, who would be dumb enough to let their kid to that????????
Darius Miller played up as an 8th grader and won the state championship with Chris Lofton I believe. He either played the year they won it or the year they got beat by Warren Central in the Championship game.
ukfanatic_37 Wrote:Sadly, there are no rules against middle schoolers playing up. But, there should be. The only thing is that if a middle schooler plays even one second of varsity as a middle schooler, then it starts their eligibility for high school. But, who would be dumb enough to let their kid to that????????

That's not true. The kid has 4 years of eligibility from the time he is PROMOTED from the 8th grade. Whether he/she played varsity sports as a middle schooler has no bareing on his/her eligibility.
ukfanatic_37 Wrote:Sadly, there are no rules against middle schoolers playing up. But, there should be. The only thing is that if a middle schooler plays even one second of varsity as a middle schooler, then it starts their eligibility for high school. But, who would be dumb enough to let their kid to that????????

I know of about 6 kids at Knott Central alone who played highschool basketball while in 7th and 8th grade who will have all 4 of their high school years of eligibilty. There has never been a rule stating such a thing. The only rule the KHSAA has towards middle school is once you are promoted to 9th grade your eligibilty starts whether you stay back or not. I know of a past player who started playing varsity while in 6th grade and got to play all 4 years while in highschool. Get your facts straight.
As long as your 19th birthday is after August 1st of your senior year, you are ok to play. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!
That is correct as far as age. But, as it has been stated that if you are promoted to ninth grade (from eighth, seventh, etc.) your four years has begun even if you do not go to ninth. Also, you cannot play high school if you are repeating the eighth grade for that season. So, you only have three years of eligibility remaining and they are ninth, tenth and eleventh. They run consecutively. This rule will overrule the age rule. So, staying back voluntarily in eighth grade is a terrible idea in my opinion.