Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Would you want your child attacked if you were running for office?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think that the anonymous nature and the fact that you don't actually say things to people in a face to face conversation of blogs have made many people on here say things and act ways in which is irresponsible and ignorant. I believe that to attack a young girl for being pregnant is ridiculous. There are people on here that will say that it shows her mother's ineffictiveness to lead. Well that is crazy. People have sex and the number of high school children engaging in sex is growing to an ever more majority. We shouldn't let the nature of blogging cloud our judgement and morality of ourselves just because there is no reprocussion for what we say.
Do you really think anyone is going to answer Yes to your question?
launchpad4 Wrote:I think that the anonymous nature and the fact that you don't actually say things to people in a face to face conversation of blogs have made many people on here say things and act ways in which is irresponsible and ignorant. I believe that to attack a young girl for being pregnant is ridiculous. There are people on here that will say that it shows her mother's ineffictiveness to lead. Well that is crazy. People have sex and the number of high school children engaging in sex is growing to an ever more majority. We shouldn't let the nature of blogging cloud our judgement and morality of ourselves just because there is no reprocussion for what we say.

If a person (both parties) is going to bring his or her family out on the stage, hug around, stick in the thumb and pull out a plumb and say "what a good American am I," I can't see that it is out of bounds to inquire into the "pretty picture" being presented. If one parades one's family, using the media to gain desired effect, I don't see how one can then begin to complain when the knife begins to cut the other way.
So your saying Obama's little girls are ok to attack?

Come on get real. She has her family around her for support and yes maybe a little photo op time. So what every candidate has done it since the invention of tv.

So what if the girl is pregnant. To attack her for being 17 and pregnant is to attack a lot of Americans who's mother became pregnant with them when they were too young and not ready for it yet.
thecavemaster Wrote:If a person (both parties) is going to bring his or her family out on the stage, hug around, stick in the thumb and pull out a plumb and say "what a good American am I," I can't see that it is out of bounds to inquire into the "pretty picture" being presented. If one parades one's family, using the media to gain desired effect, I don't see how one can then begin to complain when the knife begins to cut the other way.

Thanks for the great example Cavemaster, yet again an ignorant statement from someone hiding behind their computer.
thecavemaster Wrote:If a person (both parties) is going to bring his or her family out on the stage, hug around, stick in the thumb and pull out a plumb and say "what a good American am I," I can't see that it is out of bounds to inquire into the "pretty picture" being presented. If one parades one's family, using the media to gain desired effect, I don't see how one can then begin to complain when the knife begins to cut the other way.

So if a politican keeps their family out of the spotlight, then no one should attack them? Is that the rule? Tell that to liberals who have made note of Dick Cheney's daughter sexual preference and the Bush daughters college years since GWB has been in office...

I agree with launchpad4. People on this forum and other blogs say way too many things they would never proclaim from their own front porch.
You do have to wonder how much of a correlation it is though in parenting your child and leading a country?

I'm not saying for either party to attack the other one's children. Kids will not listen when you tell them not to drink or not to have sex but them doing so and it being brought before a nation HAS to say SOMETHING about what kind of parent you are.

My parents lead me by example and raised me with good morals. I think that I would at least have enough consideration for my parent being a candidate, VP, or President to not let the media catch me up in it if I were to do something that I wasn't supposed to be.
thetribe Wrote:My parents lead me by example and raised me with good morals. I think that I would at least have enough consideration for my parent being a candidate, VP, or President to not let the media catch me up in it if I were to do something that I wasn't supposed to be.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. You know right from wrong, but you still have free will - no matter what your parents think or have taught you.
jammin' jamey Wrote:So if a politican keeps their family out of the spotlight, then no one should attack them? Is that the rule? Tell that to liberals who have made note of Dick Cheney's daughter sexual preference and the Bush daughters college years since GWB has been in office...

I agree with launchpad4. People on this forum and other blogs say way too many things they would never proclaim from their own front porch.

I would say anything in public that I have ever posted on this forum (and have). Bringing in the whole lesbian thing about Cheney's daughter was below the belt (no pun intended). If the Bush girls get a DUI or PI, that's a matter of public record, just like anyone else.
I'm going to agree with cavemaster on that last statement. A matter of sexual orientation should never be a diss on a parent or the person in general. I think that shows what type of society is out there today. But DUIs are definitely different and you know something that big is going to be brought out into the public. What if a Bush girl had wrecked while driving intoxicated and killed an innocent person in another car?
thecavemaster Wrote:I would say anything in public that I have ever posted on this forum (and have). Bringing in the whole lesbian thing about Cheney's daughter was below the belt (no pun intended). If the Bush girls get a DUI or PI, that's a matter of public record, just like anyone else.

Of course, a liberal would be against bringing out someone's sexual preference. Same can be said about a conservative wanting to protect their 17-year old pregnant daughter from the media.

This goes both ways. BOTH should be off-limits. JMO.

I will agree that a DUI/PI is matter of public record. Yet, shouldn't minors (assuming children involved are minors) get some sort of protection here?
jammin' jamey Wrote:Of course, a liberal would be against bringing out someone's sexual preference. Same can be said about a conservative wanting to protect their 17-year old pregnant daughter from the media.

This goes both ways. BOTH should be off-limits. JMO.

I will agree that a DUI/PI is matter of public record. Yet, shouldn't minors (assuming children involved are minors) get some sort of protection here?

Of course, the context of the Cheney thing was the gay marriage/civil union debate, which doesn't mean it wasn't below the belt. Again, I agree with you; however, parading the family as a sign of virtue and wholesomeness welcomes incision by a cynical media. I thought the Bush girls were in college when W took office; which means post eighteen. Again, I am speaking only to those conservatives in the Republican party who link their political philopsophy with "god on our side" rhetoric.
thecavemaster Wrote:Of course, the context of the Cheney thing was the gay marriage/civil union debate, which doesn't mean it wasn't below the belt. Again, I agree with you; however, parading the family as a sign of virtue and wholesomeness welcomes incision by a cynical media. I thought the Bush girls were in college when W took office; which means post eighteen. Again, I am speaking only to those conservatives in the Republican party who link their political philopsophy with "god on our side" rhetoric.

Many folks forget that God is on the side of righteousness, no matter their party affilation. :Thumbs:
jammin' jamey Wrote:Many folks forget that God is on the side of righteousness, no matter their party affilation. :Thumbs:

Thats why god should be left out of politics.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Thats why god should be left out of politics.

People vote and like it or not, religion plays a major role many people's lives and that's why it's in politics.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Thats why god should be left out of politics.
This country was founded on faith in GOD and and GOD should not be left out of anything...That is the reason for the world going to ....
If God is who some say he is, then isn't this all just part of God's plan?

So why argue the point?
IT was meant to be a joke, although I could have worded it better. I was trying to imply that no one in politics is a "righteous" person. They all lie, cheat and steal.