Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Strengths and Weaknesses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to give you guys a chance to talk about your programs and other program's strengths and weaknesses.

*Edited by BGR Staff for spelling/grammar. Please use correct spelling and grammar the next time you post.*
For Russell, the biggest strength for the program is a strong feeder system and the desire of the kids to play for Russell.

The weakness is probably the lack of variety on the O and D side of things. Also, I think the weight program should be mandatory. Thats about it.
JCHS strength is the O and D line, just nasty up front, they also have a great feeder program. Their weakness might be the youth in the defense back field, but I think that will change by mid season with the talent back there.

Breathitt County strength is their balanced and spread offense. hard to stack the box on this group. weakness might be the D line. Not sure if this was due to the fact JCHS was just that much better up front. Will be able to tell more after next game.
Belfry's strengths are a legendary head coach, a strong feeder program, excellent facilities, and excellent support from the community and administration.

Belfry's weakness is an inability to schedule top tier teams due to geography, a persistent necessesity to play most players both ways, and isolation geographically affecting the number of players getting recruited.
Taylor County's strengths are their skill people, but their weakness (o-line) makes it hard to utilize those skill people effectively. Other weaknesses are a weak "feeder" program and lack of pressure from the community to succeed.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Taylor County's strengths are their skill people, but their weakness (o-line) makes it hard to utilize those skill people effectively. Other weaknesses are a weak "feeder" program and lack of pressure from the community to succeed.

It helps to have the community behind a program lot.
Brahma Bull,
I know a place just like Taylor County and its called PERRY COUNTY. Every kid in Perry County thinks their the next 6 foot center for the University of Kentucky.
Beetle01 Wrote:For Russell, the biggest strength for the program is a strong feeder system and the desire of the kids to play for Russell.

The weakness is probably the lack of variety on the O and D side of things. Also, I think the weight program should be mandatory. Thats about it.

The feeder system is no longer a strength. Less kids getting a chance to play and quitting football before they get to highschool. It needs to go back to the way it used to and allow kids to develope.

Hopefully the current system changes back to the old way next year. You are already seeing the effects in this years sophmore and freshman classes.

Russell's biggest strengths this year are alot of experience in the skill positions, an athletic offesive and defensive line and one of the best coaching staffs around.
warmachine Wrote:Brahma Bull,
I know a place just like Taylor County and its called PERRY COUNTY. Every kid in Perry County thinks their the next 6 foot center for the University of Kentucky.
I was raised in EKY and know the mentality of Perry and surrounding counties as far as sports, and they do have community pressure to succeed. Pressure to succeed on the coaching staff is what I am talking about, not the players so much. I think expectations should be high for the players, but the pressure should be on the coaches to put together a winning team. Here, there seems to be no fear of losing a coaching job, and the pressure to succeed is not as high.
FBALL Wrote:The feeder system is no longer a strength. Less kids getting a chance to play and quitting football before they get to highschool. It needs to go back to the way it used to and allow kids to develope.

Hopefully the current system changes back to the old way next year. You are already seeing the effects in this years sophmore and freshman classes.

Russell's biggest strengths this year are alot of experience in the skill positions, an athletic offesive and defensive line and one of the best coaching staffs around.
Everything hinges on the play of the line, that is true for every team......
FBALL Wrote:The feeder system is no longer a strength. Less kids getting a chance to play and quitting football before they get to highschool. It needs to go back to the way it used to and allow kids to develope.

8th grade has 30 kids or close to it
7th grade has over 25
6th grade has 30 kids.

Since the change of JFL to the current settings with grade ball playing outside the league against other schools we have WON 1 state championship 2005, RUNNER-UP in 2006.
..........2000....2001..2002..2003....2004...2005...2006...2007....over all....win %
Russell...... 8-4 ......7-5 ......11-3.. ..10-3....... 13-1.. ...14-1... ..13-2......11-2........... 87-21....... 80.5%

As you can see after the change, the school record has improved...
Now granted less kids are playing football, but you have to look at these issues:
1. Fall baseball
2. Fall Soccer
3. Fall Travel basketball
4. XBOX360
5. Kids just dont want to play outside anymore. The current kids want to text, email and stay online playing games instead of doing it themselves.

Now if you are saying they dont get enough chances or playing time, at the younger levels. Have the parents STOP complining about playing games during the week and help find a way to get more field time. You will only get as good as the best player, so why be a big fish in a little pond....
NEXT...-

If you look at the winning percentages again: It would seem that we are doing better than most after changing the way our feeder system works.
1. Danville- 84%
2. Male-83%
3.Beechwood- 81.6%
4. NCC- 80.7%
5. RUSSELL- 80.5%
Hard to argue with the results and numbers post change of the feeder program. If anything it seems to be helping the HIGH SCHOOL program.

One last thing:
As most of us on here are either current players or parents of current players, we can agree. .............NOT ALL KIDS WHO PLAY FOOTBALL IN MIDDLE SCHOOL WILL PLAY AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL......
That is a nice way of saying that as parents we all think our kid is the best and should be playing more, but when they get the opportunity to perform on the field.. well thats the FINAL result. If you only get to play 15 dows a game, you better do something..... if you dont stand out or do your job someone else will..... I have played in the OLD JFL system and it worked THEN. Other than ASHLAND around here we are the only school that still plays INTRA-LEAGUE.. If you see Ashland Football it has been in a decline in the recent past.. is it becasue they went to INTRA-LEAGUE play?????
You tell me...

This is just an opinion and not directed toward anyone.... Not even to FBALL> I still ove ya......
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:8th grade has 30 kids or close to it
7th grade has over 25
6th grade has 30 kids.

Since the change of JFL to the current settings with grade ball playing outside the league against other schools we have WON 1 state championship 2005, RUNNER-UP in 2006.
..........2000....2001..2002..2003....2004...2005...2006...2007....over all....win %
Russell...... 8-4 ......7-5 ......11-3.. ..10-3....... 13-1.. ...14-1... ..13-2......11-2........... 87-21....... 80.5%

As you can see after the change, the school record has improved...
Now granted less kids are playing football, but you have to look at these issues:
1. Fall baseball
2. Fall Soccer
3. Fall Travel basketball
4. XBOX360
5. Kids just dont want to play outside anymore. The current kids want to text, email and stay online playing games instead of doing it themselves.

Now if you are saying they dont get enough chances or playing time, at the younger levels. Have the parents STOP complining about playing games during the week and help find a way to get more field time. You will only get as good as the best player, so why be a big fish in a little pond....
NEXT...-

If you look at the winning percentages again: It would seem that we are doing better than most after changing the way our feeder system works.
1. Danville- 84%
2. Male-83%
3.Beechwood- 81.6%
4. NCC- 80.7%
5. RUSSELL- 80.5%
Hard to argue with the results and numbers post change of the feeder program. If anything it seems to be helping the HIGH SCHOOL program.

One last thing:
As most of us on here are either current players or parents of current players, we can agree. .............NOT ALL KIDS WHO PLAY FOOTBALL IN MIDDLE SCHOOL WILL PLAY AT THE HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL......
That is a nice way of saying that as parents we all think our kid is the best and should be playing more, but when they get the opportunity to perform on the field.. well thats the FINAL result. If you only get to play 15 dows a game, you better do something..... if you dont stand out or do your job someone else will..... I have played in the OLD JFL system and it worked THEN. Other than ASHLAND around here we are the only school that still plays INTRA-LEAGUE.. If you see Ashland Football it has been in a decline in the recent past.. is it becasue they went to INTRA-LEAGUE play?????
You tell me...

This is just an opinion and not directed toward anyone.... Not even to FBALL> I still ove ya......

These stats are meaningless. Russell has been consistantly good because for a school its size it has always had very high numbers of kids playing football. It adds depth.

The current format is just now showing its effects. Like I said. look at the current sophmore and freshman classes.

There are alot of kids out right now. That will change though. Weed out to early and you might just throw away a flower.

Ashland just went back to that system because of the very reasons we are discussing. They just made the change last year I believe to get the numbers back up.

Every kid will not keep playing. That is a fact. Every kid is not a super star that is also a fact. The point of this is that the feeder system should be used to develope as many kids AS POSSIBLE. Not just for some adults to have bragging rights over neighboring communities. Right now the developement is not happening, too many kids standing around watching instead of playing, be it practice or a game, and it will effect the Highschool program in years to come. It needs to be a developemental yet still competitive league.
Beetle01 Wrote:For Russell, the biggest strength for the program is a strong feeder system and the desire of the kids to play for Russell.

The weight program should be mandatory. They are they 2008 state weightlifting champs.

*Edited by BGR Staff for spelling/grammar. Please use correct spelling and grammar the next time you post.*

Yeah, thats a great idea about the weight training, but... and I quote from Ivan Mcglone,"you don't want to scare them off too early". It makes sense, some kids don't have the drive others do yet the talent may lay in the ones you scare off....bring em in,build them up, then work their little @$!** BUTT OFF!

:redboxer:
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:...
Im sure he ove's you too...
I can see both sides of this. I have never heard Mcglone say "you don't want to scare them off to early" but I am sure he has said it haha. However if a kid doesn't want to lift and get strong idk what kind of football player he will turn out to be. Not saying some excellent players have played at russell that don't lift. It is just rare. Nothing bad can come from working out.
Strenghts:
IMO the coaching staff at Russell is excellet... hands down the best around...
The pride a player gets from being a Red Devil or a former one..
Weaknesses:
Currently getting more kids to play. We are very low on backups.. we just need more depth...
PureRedDevil Wrote:I can see both sides of this. I have never heard Mcglone say "you don't want to scare them off to early" but I am sure he has said it haha. However if a kid doesn't want to lift and get strong idk what kind of football player he will turn out to be. Not saying some excellent players have played at russell that don't lift. It is just rare. Nothing bad can come from working out.
Strenghts:
IMO the coaching staff at Russell is excellet... hands down the best around...
The pride a player gets from being a Red Devil or a former one..
Weaknesses:
Currently getting more kids to play. We are very low on backups.. we just need more depth...
It starts with JFL(Pop Warner). Make them proud to be a player. Show them the true fundamentals. Don't waste their time by teaching them the latest fad in football offense and defense. But true hard nose fundamentals. If a high school program wants the kids to know the game "their way" then teach them that school's way. Buy the time they get to suit up in their alma matter's uniform then the sky is the limit...Make it possible for all kids to play on a "level field" without holding back the true talent. I think by the time they reach 8th and 9th grade you know who's who.