Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best boys middle school teams in Kentucky
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Congrats to South Laurel 7th grade. They beat Ballard Kammeren, Jeffersontown "The Truth", Lextown Bulldogs & The Central Ky Warriors to become champions of the 2009 KBA Holiday Classic this weekend! They have now compiled a record of 21-0! Go Cards!!
Recznik Wrote:In Scott Co. there I believe is 3 middle schools Scott Co. Middle, Georgetown Middle and Royal Springs...

If you are speaking the 7th grade level then until proven otherwise the best team in the state is Lexington Catholic. They were unbeaten last year as 6th graders and even then South Laurel gave us the best game as we only won by 12. This year as 7th graders they are 21-0 and no one has stayed closer than 24 pts unless you count the games Lex Cath 7th grade team played against Lincoln Co. and Knox Co. 8th grade team in which Lexington Catholic won by 17 and 6 pts. We were scheduled to play in the 7th grade corbin tourney last week end but was cancelled due to weather. Too bad cause we would of really wanted to play Crosby out of Louisville. We play in BCI state tourney in a few weeks so we'll see.
No disrespect, but Lexington Catholic only beat South Laurel 50-43 last year. And I hope these two teams are able to play each other again this year.
I heard at the KOB Louisville's city tournament is the same weekend as KBA's state tournament. I hate to hear that. Crosby, Farnsley, Meyzeek and the other strong Louisville middle school will not be able to attend.
Hoop Crazy Wrote:No disrespect, but Lexington Catholic only beat South Laurel 50-43 last year. And I hope these two teams are able to play each other again this year.

Sorry. You are correct on the score. It was The Ville, the AAU state winner from the previous year that we had beaten by 12. South Laurel has a very good 7th grade team this year but unless they play in the BCI state tourney at KBA in mid January we will not play South Laurel this year. Too bad cause I would really like to play them every year that they are in middle school. Lex Cath will also be playing in the Knox Co. tournament in early January. Maybe South Laurel will be competing in it too.
Knighted, have you guys played Lexington Christian this year?
Navajo4life Wrote:Knighted, have you guys played Lexington Christian this year?

Yes we have. We beat them 70-39. It wasn't that close as the score indicated.:Thumbs:
knighted Wrote:Yes we have. We beat them 70-39. It wasn't that close as the score indicated.:Thumbs:

Sorry but that didn't post as I wanted it to. It should of said "The game was not as close as the score indicated." We were up by 42 at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Saratoga_86 Wrote::Thumbs: When it comes to 7th grade b-ball, give the Bobcats some respect, undefeated thus far, ( we beat JC 7th ) , haven't really been in a close game..... 8th grade JC , is on top right now, with some really good teams in our area coming on, ( BL , Virgie , Hazard , it's pretty competitive, only making our region better, ( isn't our goal, some respect for mountain sports. and a state title for the 15th ) , I won't comment on the STATE , let's get it right here , and , then we'll worry about them...... ( BUT, just call , we'll play anyone 7th or 8th , it only makes us better !! ) Stay healthy , and , good luck to all the teams !!!!! :Thumbs:

I just noticed that Lex Cath plays Betsy Lane on Jan. 15th. I hope Betsy Lane's 7th grade is as good as advertised cause our 7th grade needs to have their heads brought back to earth.
Knighted, you guys must be the real deal in 7th grade boys basketball... We played Lexington Christian twice last weekend and beat them both times over in Mercer County Tournament, but nothing like your guys score.... I look forward watching you guys play over at the state tournament
knighted Wrote:I just noticed that Lex Cath plays Betsy Lane on Jan. 15th. I hope Betsy Lane's 7th grade is as good as advertised cause our 7th grade needs to have their heads brought back to earth.

:worthy: WOW !! We've ( BL ), got a pretty good team , but , from the looks of these scores, we're up against it !!!! LOL , Coach Howard what have you got us into ...... LOL , ( these boys play hard, should be a good test for them, sounds like LEX Cath is the real thing !!!!! ( our boys look forward to the oppurtunity ) .......:Thumbs:
You have to put Lawrence County 7th grade up there. They drilled Virgie 7th grade tonight. I don't know if they were missing some kids but it was really no contest. I have to say that next year Lawrence County 7th grade team should be one of the top teams around. They are going to have 6-7 holdbacks that are playing 7th and 8th right now.
I'd say Virgie kept their players out for the 8th grade game. Everyone they start on the 8th grade team is an underclassman, but one (#22). Their 7th grade team (if everyone plays) is one of the better ones in the state.
dozerdawg707 Wrote:you have to put lawrence county 7th grade up there. They drilled virgie 7th grade tonight. I don't know if they were missing some kids but it was really no contest. I have to say that next year lawrence county 7th grade team should be one of the top teams around. They are going to have 6-7 holdbacks that are playing 7th and 8th right now.

dortonwildcat5 Wrote:i'd say virgie kept their players out for the 8th grade game. Everyone they start on the 8th grade team is an underclassman, but one (#22). Their 7th grade team (if everyone plays) is one of the better ones in the state.
ouch !
smallball Wrote:Simons Middle Fleming co. is undefeated as of today. I think they went 23-0 last year as 7th graders.

Fleming Co. 8th (Simons Middle School) remains undefeated on the year, 26-0.
They just won the Holiday Middle School Tourny in Frankfort that included teams like: Elkhorn, Shelby West, Johnson Central, LTMS and some other nice squads. They may not be the best team in the state but they aint to shabby! Especially for a undersized team with no holdbacks and boys that have been in class together since kindergarten. :rockon:
dugout66 Wrote:Fleming Co. 8th (Simons Middle School) remains undefeated on the year, 26-0.
They just won the Holiday Middle School Tourny in Frankfort that included teams like: Elkhorn, Shelby West, Johnson Central, LTMS and some other nice squads. They may not be the best team in the state but they aint to shabby! Especially for a undersized team with no holdbacks and boys that have been in class together since kindergarten. :rockon:

Wow! Nice going. How did Johnson Co. do in the tourney? I would of thought that they would of won it hands down. No disrespect intended, its just that they seemed to be the best 8th grade team we have played this year (especially since we have played both of you) but I guess I am wrong. Nice going Fleming Co. :Thumbs: We play you guys again this Saturday so take it easy on us.:igiveup::igiveup: How is your 7th grade doing this year?
knighted Wrote:Wow! Nice going. How did Johnson Co. do in the tourney? I would of thought that they would of won it hands down. No disrespect intended, its just that they seemed to be the best 8th grade team we have played this year (especially since we have played both of you) but I guess I am wrong. Nice going Fleming Co. :Thumbs: We play you guys again this Saturday so take it easy on us.:igiveup::igiveup: How is your 7th grade doing this year?

They did not reach the tourny round as they were beaten by Shelby West in pool play. Shelby West is pretty good as well. LTMS then beat Shelby fairly handily in the semis, Fleming then defeated LTMS for the championship. Johnson Co. does look good, they may have had an off game??? Did not get to watch the game they lost. See you Saturday.

The 7th grade is improving but will not hold up against your guys 7th IMO>
Johnson lost to a good team in a very close game. Trevor Sherman did not play due to a broken wrist. Hunter Ratliff played maybe 4 minutes in first half and tried about 30 seconds in the second half (having a lot of pain in his leg). I am not saying that we would have won, but not having these 2 starters does make a difference. I did not see our first game but I heard that Hall had a very good dunk off of a pass with one step slammed it 2 handed. Salyers, Blair and McPeek played well also in the second game(I didn't see the other one). Page of Shelby is a great shooter and Stone and the other big guy played well. The point guard really handled the ball well. We were down 3 with 2 minutes left and Shelby hit there free throws. Fleming is a very good team as well as LTMS, I have watched them both play a few times. Burns is a very good player. Shane Hall played with some of the LTMS players in AAU, and Fleming beat a very good team.
cart man Wrote:Johnson lost to a good team in a very close game. Trevor Sherman did not play due to a broken wrist. Hunter Ratliff played maybe 4 minutes in first half and tried about 30 seconds in the second half (having a lot of pain in his leg). I am not saying that we would have won, but not having these 2 starters does make a difference. I did not see our first game but I heard that Hall had a very good dunk off of a pass with one step slammed it 2 handed. Salyers, Blair and McPeek played well also in the second game(I didn't see the other one). Page of Shelby is a great shooter and Stone and the other big guy played well. The point guard really handled the ball well. We were down 3 with 2 minutes left and Shelby hit there free throws. Fleming is a very good team as well as LTMS, I have watched them both play a few times. Burns is a very good player. Shane Hall played with some of the LTMS players in AAU, and Fleming beat a very good team.

Joohnson Central is an excellent team. They did play without one of their best players. Shane Hall was really great against Shelby West. You are so right - missing those starters was a big blow to JC as it would be to any team. And Hall's dunk in the first game was awesome.

I watched a lot of good basketball in Frankfort. It was really good competition. The event was well-run.
dugout66 Wrote:Fleming Co. 8th (Simons Middle School) remains undefeated on the year, 26-0.

Fleming Co. appears to be the real thing after trailing 20-16 at half to turn it up in the second half and win going away against a Lexington Catholic 8th grade squad 51-30. Fleming Co.(Simon middle school) improved their record to 27-0 as Lex Cath fell to 18-12.

Lexington Catholic's 7th grade improved their record to 22-0 after beating Fleming Co.(Simon middle) 74-34 in an earlier game on Saturday.
Catholic played really well! Fleming Co. was sluggish in the first half and Catholic kind of dictated the pace. Fleming turned it up a notch in the second half, but I thought Catholic overall played better than in the first meeting. Lexington Catholics 7th grade are tough. Fleming Co's 7th grade team is not that strong but even with that being said Catholic can play some ball. I think Catholic's 7th would give our 8th a good ballgame.
Scott County has 3 very respectable 8th grade teams. I can't wait to see these teams compete in the KBA State Tournament.
knighted Wrote:Fleming Co. appears to be the real thing after trailing 20-16 at half to turn it up in the second half and win going away against a Lexington Catholic 8th grade squad 51-30. Fleming Co.(Simon middle school) improved their record to 27-0 as Lex Cath fell to 18-12.

Lexington Catholic's 7th grade improved their record to 22-0 after beating Fleming Co.(Simon middle) 74-34 in an earlier game on Saturday.

What's Lexington Christian like 7th and 8th grade? Fleming County is supposed to play there January 16th. I'm not sure what the format is - if it's a tournament or just us playing them. I suspect it may be some kind of tournament since my schedule says it is 8th grade only. There likely will be more teams than just us and them.

As I understand it, Fleming County's games tonight (1/6) at Rowan County, home tomorrow (1/7) against Morgan County and then against Johnson Central and Hazard at Paintsville this Saturday (1/9) have been cancelled.

Those were the only 2 teams I knew were going to be there. It may have been more. I have seen Johnson Central play twice and was very impressed. I am told Hazard is an excellent team as well. That would have been a good trip for our guys. We could have learned a lot from that experience.
dugout66 Wrote:Catholic played really well! Fleming Co. was sluggish in the first half and Catholic kind of dictated the pace. Fleming turned it up a notch in the second half, but I thought Catholic overall played better than in the first meeting. Lexington Catholics 7th grade are tough. Fleming Co's 7th grade team is not that strong but even with that being said Catholic can play some ball. I think Catholic's 7th would give our 8th a good ballgame.

All I know is that first impressions of Fleming Co.'s 8th grade is that they are a bit undersized. After 7 or 8 mins. into the game you quickly realize that a team doesn't have to be huge to be successful. I was very impressed by the defensive ability of their guards. Might be the best "help" man to man we have faced this year. Their point guard (#12) is the real thing when it comes to offense and defense. He would start on anybody's middle school team in the state IMO. Woe is the team that takes them lightly in the state tourney.
in my opinion hazard is the most dominate team in the state or we well @ least see nxt weekend as they go up to lexington and compete 4 the bci state tourny
dawgs best Wrote:in my opinion hazard is the most dominate team in the state or we well @ least see nxt weekend as they go up to lexington and compete 4 the bci state tourny

8th grade or 7th? Guess we will see indeed this weekend at the BCI state tourney.

I'm not sure who is playing in the 8th grade division but I heard from a very good source that there will be 2 or 3 cream of the crop 7th grade teams competing for the title. Lexington Catholic and South Laurel will get their chance to play each other,as both of them are undefeated this year. I also was told that Virgie would be playing too and for this tourney they will be playing their 3 7th graders that have been starting on their 8th grade team all year. I've not seen them play but I have been told that they are the best 7th grade team in eastern KY..maybe the state. Guess we will find out next weekend if the weather lets us play.
knighted Wrote:8th grade or 7th? Guess we will see indeed this weekend at the BCI state tourney.

I'm not sure who is playing in the 8th grade division but I heard from a very good source that there will be 2 or 3 cream of the crop 7th grade teams competing for the title. Lexington Catholic and South Laurel will get their chance to play each other,as both of them are undefeated this year. I also was told that Virgie would be playing too and for this tourney they will be playing their 3 7th graders that have been starting on their 8th grade team all year. I've not seen them play but I have been told that they are the best 7th grade team in eastern KY..maybe the state. Guess we will find out next weekend if the weather lets us play.

I know Johnson COunty starts 3 7th graders on there 8th grade team, they have not played 7th grade ball all year. The best 7th grade team I have seen this year is Betsy Layne. Clay County is also pretty good.
Honestly, I have not seen many better teams than Clay County in 7th grade level... Their point guard is unbelievable and will be very good in high school... I have not seen Lexington Catholic play and have heard nothing but great things about their team.... There are many great teams in Kentucky in the 7th grade division, but it should be wide open at the state tournament this year...
MR. Slate Wrote:I know Johnson COunty starts 3 7th graders on there 8th grade team, they have not played 7th grade ball all year. The best 7th grade team I have seen this year is Betsy Layne. Clay County is also pretty good.

We play Betsy Lane on Friday, the day before the BCI so I guess we will have our hands full for the weekend. We played Clay Co. 3 weeks ago and beat them by 24 but that was at our place.

On the other hand I forgot about Johnson Co. not playing their 7th graders that start on the 8th grade team. Are they playing in the BCI next weekend for the 7th grade team?
You guys beat Clay County by 24?
Pages: 1 2 3 4