Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Upcoming 2009 Seniors.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
IMO Cory Adams is a really good hitter. I just dont think he has gotten that much better over the last few years at catching. I just dont think that he has that strong of arm from the outfield or behind the plate. Plus I know size doesnt matter in baseball but IMO he is to small to play college catcher. You look at some of the local catchers that have went on to play college catcher are Tim Hayes, Charlie Collett from Paintsville. Both of those boys had a strong arm, were both tall and had big strong bodies. But like I said this is just my opinion.
NIKE2010 Wrote:IMO Cory Adams is a really good hitter. I just dont think he has gotten that much better over the last few years at catching. I just dont think that he has that strong of arm from the outfield or behind the plate. Plus I know size doesnt matter in baseball but IMO he is to small to play college catcher. You look at some of the local catchers that have went on to play college catcher are Tim Hayes, Charlie Collett from Paintsville. Both of those boys had a strong arm, were both tall and had big strong bodies. But like I said this is just my opinion.

Both had strong arms, but if I were to rate the catcher's arms that have come out of the 15th in the last five years it would be like this.

1.Josh Adams
2.Charlie Collett
3.Timmy Hayes
All were very good catchers...
Adams has some raw ability and if the continues to work he will be fine.
Thought Hayes was great and had good enough size.
The Joker Wrote:Adams is the top senior in the 15th. I'd say Harmon would be second. Very weak senior class from the 15th. I'd say Adams could play at maybe a D-2 or a good NAIA school with some work. But I don't think he is a shoe in for the 15th region player of the year because of Chandler Shepherd. Shepherd is the best prospect hands down in the region because of his tools. I just don't know if they will give the award to an underclassman.
I can forsee a problem that Adams may have this season. More than likely he will be pitched to entirely different than in seasons past. Nobody has to give him anything to swing at anymore. Everybody can now easily pitch around him. Dont think for a second that who bats in front of you or who bats behind you doesn't make a difference in how you get pitched.

If Mike Conley were to have a great year on the mound and a pretty good season at the plate, he would have to be given a great deal of consideration.

Anyways, the key to it all is just staying healthy. I have known more than one player in the past who fell on hard times their senior seasons due to fighting off injuries after having stellar junior seasons. It happens.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I can forsee a problem that Adams may have this season. More than likely he will be pitched to entirely different than in seasons past. Nobody has to give him anything to swing at anymore. Everybody can now easily pitch around him. Dont think for a second that who bats in front of you or who bats behind you doesn't make a difference in how you get pitched.

If Mike Conley were to have a great year on the mound and a pretty good season at the plate, he would have to be given a great deal of consideration.

Anyways, the key to it all is just staying healthy. I have known more than one player in the past who fell on hard times their senior seasons due to fighting off injuries after having stellar junior seasons. It happens.

Yeah....we had stellar hitters last year! It will be so much easier to pitch around him!
Grimm was the only real offensive threat we had besides Adams last year and Grimm spent most of the season batting 3-4 spots behind Adams.
In reality, there are only a handful of kids out there that can even attempt to pich around anyone. Most are just lucky to throw it across the plate consistantly.
The Guru Wrote:Yeah....we had stellar hitters last year! It will be so much easier to pitch around him!
Grimm was the only real offensive threat we had besides Adams last year and Grimm spent most of the season batting 3-4 spots behind Adams.
In reality, there are only a handful of kids out there that can even attempt to pich around anyone. Most are just lucky to throw it across the plate consistantly.

OK, how about this then, we'll make it simple. Just walk him.Rolleyes Reckon in reality there is anybody out there can do that?Smile If you dont want to believe that, then just wait and see.

Hey, what about that golden boy at short with the big stick that was better than Pugh that we heard so much about? Come on now, you remember the kid with the golden glove and that rocket arm who carried the heavy lumber. I would have thought that he alone would have taken you to the promised land. I'll be politically correct when I say this. Kinda missed ol Dan'l didn't ya?Big Grin

I'll tell you what your problem was last year and I can break it down into real simple parts. No Daniel Pugh and No Kyle Sublett. Some dont want to believe that though.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:OK, how about this then, we'll make it simple. Just walk him.Rolleyes Reckon in reality there is anybody out there can do that?Smile If you dont want to believe that, then just wait and see.

Hey, what about that golden boy at short with the big stick that was better than Pugh that we heard so much about? Come on now, you remember the kid with the golden glove and that rocket arm who carried the heavy lumber. I would have thought that he alone would have taken you to the promised land. I'll be politically correct when I say this. Kinda missed ol Dan'l didn't ya?Big Grin

I'll tell you what your problem was last year and I can break it down into real simple parts. No Daniel Pugh and No Kyle Sublett. Some dont want to believe that though.

did I ever say anywhere that JD carried big lumber? No. But I can tell you this....errors at shortstop were cut in half. but did I get on here and say I told you that JD had a better year than Dan did at SS, NO. i knew we would miss daniel's bat, who wouldn't? But tell me who on last years team were being pitched around and allowing Adams to see better pitches? Adams led off.....maybe it was Butcher in the nine hole.....Humphrey batted behind Adams so maybe it was him. Class of 09 is the thread, right? but go ahead and take your your self proclaimed know it all pot shots and get another thread closed.
The Guru Wrote:did I ever say anywhere that JD carried big lumber? No. But I can tell you this....errors at shortstop were cut in half. but did I get on here and say I told you that JD had a better year than Dan did at SS, NO. i knew we would miss daniel's bat, who wouldn't? But tell me who on last years team were being pitched around and allowing Adams to see better pitches? Adams led off.....maybe it was Butcher in the nine hole.....Humphrey batted behind Adams so maybe it was him. Class of 09 is the thread, right? but go ahead and take your your self proclaimed know it all pot shots and get another thread closed.
Whoa here now. What makes you so sure I am responsible for getting any other thread closed down to begin with. Best I remember several other folks offered some thoughts of their own in several other threads.

To be honest with you I am not sold that Adams was in the best position in the lineup last year to begin with. I would have thought that he would have better served in the 3 hole. And for your information the leadoff batter is never pitched to the way a 3 hole hitter is. Much, much tougher in the 3 hole.

I'd sure like to see those stats to confirm that statement, because I really dont believe it for one thing. I dont think that you can come up with statistical evidence to back it up anyways. I really dont ever remember seeing Daniel make all that many errors to begin with. Yeah he made some, but playing short is a dang tough position to play. He fielded the ball much cleaner than the guy before him so I dont think he did so bad. Whadda you want to bet that Daniel probably had twice as many fielding oportunities as his predecessor did? I'm willing to wager he was able to get to twice as many balls which obviously gave him twice as many opportunities though. Some of those balls he was able to even attempt to make a play on would otherwise have just gone through a bunch of holes with someone just standing there watching them go by. I'm sure your not even taking any of that into consideration. Cant charge an error to someone who cant get to the ball to make a play on to begin with,can you?

I said was that this year will be a little different than last year. Go ahead and name me one other player coming up that has a big stick reputation. I cant think of any, thus the reasoning for my statement regarding the '09 season. As anemic as you may have thought that it was last year, I dont think it will be any where as good this year. Perhaps someone will surprise everyone though. I saw Austin Lyons play postion over the summer and he looked like he was swinging the bat pretty well. Perhaps he will have a potent stick.
Not to change the subject....but is Pikeville College any better than they were last year.....I have friend whose son plays for them and he some of the things he said about the program and also watching them play which was painful....I hope they got their act finally together....did they get any players
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Whoa here now. What makes you so sure I am responsible for getting any other thread closed down to begin with. Best I remember several other folks offered some thoughts of their own in several other threads.
Because you have come to every thread Lisa and I have posted on and made personal attacks maybe???

To be honest with you I am not sold that Adams was in the best position in the lineup last year to begin with. I would have thought that he would have better served in the 3 hole. And for your information the leadoff batter is never pitched to the way a 3 hole hitter is. Much, much tougher in the 3 hole.
We finaly agree on something. but it wasn't my decision.

I'd sure like to see those stats to confirm that statement, because I really dont believe it for one thing. I dont think that you can come up with statistical evidence to back it up anyways. I really dont ever remember seeing Daniel make all that many errors to begin with. Yeah he made some, but playing short is a dang tough position to play. He fielded the ball much cleaner than the guy before him so I dont think he did so bad. Whadda you want to bet that Daniel probably had twice as many fielding oportunities as his predecessor did? I'm willing to wager he was able to get to twice as many balls which obviously gave him twice as many opportunities though. Some of those balls he
was able to even attempt to make a play on would otherwise have just gone through a bunch of holes with someone just standing there watching them go by. I'm sure your not even taking any of that into consideration. Cant charge an error to someone who cant get to the ball to make a play on to begin with,can you?
So how many games did you see???? I saw about 95% of the games over the past 2 years, And I could get you the stats and prove you wrong if you wish. but now it sounds like I am taking away from Daniel, and I am not. But you would love to try and turn it into that. I thought an error was charged only if the play took less than extrordinary effort? Someone attempting the plays you describe wouldn't get charged an E. JD had a lot more range than you even know. How many games since LL have you seen him at SS, be honest.3 maybe?

I said was that this year will be a little different than last year. Go ahead and name me one other player coming up that has a big stick reputation. I cant think of any, thus the reasoning for my statement regarding the '09 season. As anemic as you may have thought that it was last year, I dont think it will be any where as good this year. Perhaps someone will surprise everyone though. I saw Austin Lyons play postion over the summer and he looked like he was swinging the bat pretty well. Perhaps he will have a potent stick.
Don't have a clue as to who will step up, but I feel sure someone will....they always do. '06 it was Williams, '07 it was Sublett, '08 it was probably Butcher who gave us a surprise bat. I never said I thought we were anemic? Where in the world do you get these thoughts from???? Brainfreeze?? Jeez....why don't you just draw a line and dare us to cross it? I don't have a clue why you have become so bitter towards us. Somebody must have told you a big lie about something.
The Guru Wrote:Don't have a clue as to who will step up, but I feel sure someone will....they always do. '06 it was Williams, '07 it was Sublett, '08 it was probably Butcher who gave us a surprise bat. I never said I thought we were anemic? Where in the world do you get these thoughts from???? Brainfreeze?? Jeez....why don't you just draw a line and dare us to cross it? I don't have a clue why you have become so bitter towards us. Somebody must have told you a big lie about something.

I thought we were just discussing baseball here.:confused:
Searcy, Feltner, and Grigsby from Hazard. Good players and great kids.
geoffrey7 Wrote:Searcy, Feltner, and Grigsby from Hazard. Good players and great kids.
Yes they are! Bright futures for them.
I believe Dylan Brown from Paintsville will be one that just might step up and do good this year....he played summer ball and I think he is playing fall ball. If he keeps a interest he may surprise everyone in the 15th region. This kid can play many positions as well as catch....when given the chance.
Dude Wrote:I believe Dylan Brown from Paintsville will be one that just might step up and do good this year....he played summer ball and I think he is playing fall ball. If he keeps a interest he may surprise everyone in the 15th region. This kid can play many positions as well as catch....when given the chance.

Dylan Brown isn't a 2009 senior.
[/url]
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Whoa here now. What makes you so sure I am responsible for getting any other thread closed down to begin with. Best I remember several other folks offered some thoughts of their own in several other threads.

I'd sure like to see those stats to confirm that statement, because I really dont believe it for one thing. I dont think that you can come up with statistical evidence to back it up anyways. I really dont ever remember seeing Daniel make all that many errors to begin with. Yeah he made some, but playing short is a dang tough position to play. He fielded the ball much cleaner than the guy before him so I dont think he did so bad. Whadda you want to bet that Daniel probably had twice as many fielding oportunities as his predecessor did? I'm willing to wager he was able to get to twice as many balls which obviously gave him twice as many opportunities though. Some of those balls he was able to even attempt to make a play on would otherwise have just gone through a bunch of holes with someone just standing there watching them go by. I'm sure your not even taking any of that into consideration. Cant charge an error to someone who cant get to the ball to make a play on to begin with,can you?

you might watch a couple of high school games that paintsville plays in the regular high school season and come up with these statements but you have to account for what these kids do in the summer...which by the way is much tougher than the high school season as you know....I wont argue that paintsville needs to find more than one slugger and it in theory would be possible to pitch around one hitter...if that is all they had, but if you think we were a sluging team last year then you are mistaken...I would also agree that corey probably should hit in the 3 or 4 hole last season, at the same time corey has hit in the 3-4 hole for post 76 during the summer and fall and they face much tougher pitching than the high school season has to offer and he hit very well both left handed and right, if a kid can it ..a kid can hit .....so pitch around him and put him on base every time ....all the better it is a team sport and we will have at least one hitter to deal with besides corey,,,as for Conley he plays golf in the off season.....will he be the best in the region...who knows .. he wasnt last year , I seem to recall a first at bat home run in the district off the bat of adams last year and I know that they tried to pitch around him then...but until the season my money would be on the kids who work on their game at a higher level in the off season..Im pretty sure that you subscribe to the same thought processes....
INSIGHT Wrote:[/url]

you might watch a couple of high school games that paintsville plays in the regular high school season and come up with these statements but you have to account for what these kids do in the summer...which by the way is much tougher than the high school season as you know....I wont argue that paintsville needs to find more than one slugger and it in theory would be possible to pitch around one hitter...if that is all they had, but if you think we were a sluging team last year then you are mistaken...I would also agree that corey probably should hit in the 3 or 4 hole last season, at the same time corey has hit in the 3-4 hole for post 76 during the summer and fall and they face much tougher pitching than the high school season has to offer and he hit very well both left handed and right, if a kid can it ..a kid can hit .....so pitch around him and put him on base every time ....all the better it is a team sport and we will have at least one hitter to deal with besides corey,,,as for Conley he plays golf in the off season.....will he be the best in the region...who knows .. he wasnt last year , I seem to recall a first at bat home run in the district off the bat of adams last year and I know that they tried to pitch around him then...but until the season my money would be on the kids who work on their game at a higher level in the off season..Im pretty sure that you subscribe to the same thought processes....
Kidding me? I seem to recall Mike as slowing down the Tigers for the most part on the hill after that, and grabbing a 3-run, (not solo) hit, helping lead JCHS to the district finals. I believe Corey will be the best hitter in the 15th this year. By a wide margin. LC fans will get me over this, but I also thought he was the best last year, at least up until the postseason.
I just think you coulda chosen alot better way to continue pumping Corey up ( I think anyone can see by his play on the field, that he is one of the elite players in the area and has been the last few years), than using that game as an example. I would much rather take Mike's game on the mound and at the plate, than that one solo shot to lead off the game.
nathan adams
letcher county central
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Goodson from Perry Central
He has a pretty good arm from the mound, mid 80's and has a great bat! Should be looked at by some good schools.

yea goodson definately doesn't throw mid 80's..........at least he didn't last year, also i would say he would be looked at as a second baseman not pitcher. Is he a senior? For some reason I was thinking he was gonna be a Jr.
MVP2 Wrote:Brandon Napier-Perry Central

Probably has one of the best shots in this area. Very great talent at the plate.
Kyboy13 Wrote:yea goodson definately doesn't throw mid 80's..........at least he didn't last year, also i would say he would be looked at as a second baseman not pitcher. Is he a senior? For some reason I was thinking he was gonna be a Jr.

Ye goodson is a good player but not great. But Brandon Napier is a GREAT player for PCC
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Kidding me? I seem to recall Mike as slowing down the Tigers for the most part on the hill after that, and grabbing a 3-run, (not solo) hit, helping lead JCHS to the district finals. I believe Corey will be the best hitter in the 15th this year. By a wide margin. LC fans will get me over this, but I also thought he was the best last year, at least up until the postseason. I just think you coulda chosen alot better way to continue pumping Corey up ( I think anyone can see by his play on the field, that he is one of the elite players in the area and has been the last few years), than using that game as an example. I would much rather take Mike's game on the mound and at the plate, than that one solo shot to lead off the game.

Smile Smile Smile Smile
he was a great hitter last year dont get me wrong. I love watching this kid play more than anybody and I wish him success, but he couldnt have batted in the top 5 spots of LC's lineup last year. Hayes, Laney, Cyrus, Miller?
360ft from home Wrote:Drew Freeman- Estill
Russ Dotson and Josh Rison- Powell

also Benedict from Estill, if he doesnt get a football scholarship first.
Chris Schoolcraft from Prestonsburg.
What schools are looking at Drew Freeman...
I heard rumors last year that some good schools were giving him looks.
Boyd Killion has a couple of colleges looking at him this year from what i hear around school
Napier from PCC will play at the next level, then possibly the next level as well.
Raw talent, complete hittter, and I know his work ethic is unquestionable, he lives for the game.
BoSox5 Wrote:Napier from PCC will play at the next level, then possibly the next level as well.
Raw talent, complete hittter, and I know his work ethic is unquestionable, he lives for the game.

what is his weekly workout?? or do you know
13th Region: Cody Jones Whitley Co. Josh Smith Corbin, Matthew Martin South Laurel, Spencer Greer Bell Co. (2008 player of the year), Brett Pittman Middlesboro.
Pages: 1 2 3