Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Playoffs in College Football
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want everyone's outlook on this. For it or against it. If you are for it, give us a fix on a 100% national champion in a playoff system. If against it, give us how you would fix the problem the BCS is having. This should be interesting.
I believe a 8 team playoff is the way to go. You can still use the BCS system for the top 4 teams, and will be seeded as such. The final four spots will be filled by BCS conference champions not seeded in the top 4. 90% of the time there will not be any, and at the most you will have 2. The rest are filled in by AP voters, so that if people feel that a mid-major deserves a chance to be in there they shall get in. Those teams will be ranked in order of votes recieved.
The major bowls will have a rotation that goes
#2 QF ---> #1QF--->#2SF--->#1SF then back to the begining. The bowl who's site is hosting the National championship will have the #2 QF to determine initial starting order.

So instead of their being just 1 or 2 bowl games that gain high national ratings, there will be 7, and the BCS playoff will be the most watched sporting event every year.

You can also designate 2 bowls for the other 2 first round playoffs. Those bowls can be rotated with other non major bowls or they can be permanant/contract length. The money that teams are to recieve will all be put into one lump sum. Winner 22%, 2nd 18%, SF losers 30%/2, First round losers 30%/4
There have been several threads about this in the past and I honestly don't think that there will ever be a playoff in College Football. I hope I am proved wrong one day because it would make the postseason a lot more interesting plus less confusion and drama surrounding the BCS.
I would be happy with an 8 team playoff. Maybe with an 8 team playoff Ohio State wont be in the National Championship game and get beat again.
I wonder about television coverage with a playoff system?
The tv exposure can be done this way. Open to the highes bid on tv. Whoever can come up with the most money can get the tv rights to it. This would be a big time money maker. I also feel it would give the teams that finished the season 6-6 a chance to get into a bowl due to higher bowls going toward playoffs. I would love to see a NIT in football to have the championship game played one year at giants stadium, and the other year at jets stadium. That would be cool.
I said this in another thread about the BCS and a playoff:

Have each conference champion advance to the playoff, and that would vacate 11 slots. Add in an Independent representative, and that's 12. Let the FANS vote on the remaining four because we are the ones who watch the games, see the highlights, and research statistics (the only problem is biased for fan favorites). That completes a 16 team field. You have the 12 conference champions (Independent included) draw on who gets seed 1-12, and have the other 4 teams seeded 13-16 based on number of fan votes. You have them play a round per weekend, and that takes 4 weeks to complete. You could still have all the other bowls, with exception of BCS bowls, played regularly throughout the weeks during December and January.

Of course, details could be tweeked but that's my solution to the BCS and having a playoff in college football.
Any arguments in favor of the current system???????????
100%SUCCESS Wrote:Any arguments in favor of the current system???????????
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I speak for 99% of college football fans when I say "NO!"
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I said this in another thread about the BCS and a playoff:

Have each conference champion advance to the playoff, and that would vacate 11 slots. Add in an Independent representative, and that's 12. Let the FANS vote on the remaining four because we are the ones who watch the games, see the highlights, and research statistics (the only problem is biased for fan favorites). That completes a 16 team field. You have the 12 conference champions (Independent included) draw on who gets seed 1-12, and have the other 4 teams seeded 13-16 based on number of fan votes. You have them play a round per weekend, and that takes 4 weeks to complete. You could still have all the other bowls, with exception of BCS bowls, played regularly throughout the weeks during December and January.

Of course, details could be tweeked but that's my solution to the BCS and having a playoff in college football.

i couldn't agree more, but I do think by letting fans vote you can sometimes leave out teams who played a real good schedule. I am in favor of letting each conference president vote there top 4 team and make it based on top 25 and wins against the top 25.
Im not big on conspiracy theories but Ive always had one about this subject. These presidents of the more influential colleges that keep voting down a playoff system have to be getting compensated by someone for missing out on all the money they would be making their respective schools by having a playoff. Who is compensating them you ask? The NFL thats who. I know alot of you on here are gonna call me crazy but think about it. The college playoffs would be happening while the NFL playoffs are starting and they know it would hurt them having to compete for viewers, advertising dollars, and fan attendance with the college playoffs during the most important time of their season. Ask yourself this? how much attention is given to the NBA during the month of March? Not Much. The NFL is protecting its interests.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Im not big on conspiracy theories but Ive always had one about this subject. These presidents of the more influential colleges that keep voting down a playoff system have to be getting compensated by someone for missing out on all the money they would be making their respective schools by having a playoff. Who is compensating them you ask? The NFL thats who. I know alot of you on here are gonna call me crazy but think about it. The college playoffs would be happening while the NFL playoffs are starting and they know it would hurt them having to compete for viewers, advertising dollars, and fan attendance with the college playoffs during the most important time of their season. Ask yourself this? how much attention is given to the NBA during the month of March? Not Much. The NFL is protecting its interests.
I'm not gonna call you crazy, because it kind of makes sense. Now whether the NFL is actually paying these schools is somewhat "debatable," but you're right. Should there be a playoff, it would last what, 4 weeks, 5 at the most, and it would begin around the first of January (after all other bowls have been completed). The games would be played on Saturdays (I assume), and the title game would be in early February. The NFL playoff games are also played on Saturdays (with some on Sundays), and the Super Bowl is typically played in late January-early February. I see where you're coming from and you make a valid point, but as far as money being exchanged, I'm not sure. But I will agree with you in that the NFL could possibly be having some say in whether there is a playoff or not. :Thumbs:
I think NCAA football would be really fun to watch if they had a playoff.
I think it would be too. They could set it up so we won't have to wait 3 weeks till the next college football game. The lowe level bowls could start the following week, and every week gets into a better bowl until they start the playoffs.
I wish they would start a playoff system, that would make it so much better and better to watch!!
I think it would ruin the "Every game's a playoff" regular season feel.
they will not go to the playoff because the TV will lose money. and also everytime a team make a bowl game the school make money off of it. these teams that will never make the playoffs will cut there football program. so they will not go to the playoffs.....
The only thing against your NFL conspiracy is the fact that there are so many schools to pay off that it wouldn't be worth it.
Beetle01 Wrote:The only thing against your NFL conspiracy is the fact that there are so many schools to pay off that it wouldn't be worth it.
Not all schools. Just the ones who hold alot of influence in the BCS conferences plus Notre Dame.
I agree, it doesnt matter how they do it but they need to cause it isnt fair to the #3 team who was 1/2 a point behind and tied with 2's record.

I mean come on NCAA, whats so wrong with this? (LAST YEARS)