Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Taylor County, Campbellsville, and Green County '08
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Taylor County Cardinals-- The addition of Leonard Macon (6'5" receiver with great hands) to a team that already has an all-state RB (Thomas), will make it tough to stack the box as teams have done the past several years. They have a descent QB (Turpin) and some very fast but young skill players. The line is the big question mark on this team....If they can get good line play, they may challenge Somerset for the District title. I look for the Cardinals to finish 7-3 or 6-4 this season.

Campbellsville Eagles -- Loaded with talent, but the system they run seems to be incompatible with the talent they have. They open up with Lexington Christian and play in Danville's district, so I do not think they will be more than 5-5 this season unless they upset someone along the way......

Green County Dragons -- Coming off a one loss season they return most of their team. The players they did lose where a big part of their team, and it will be interesting to see how the new players do. They scrimmaged Lexington Christian last week and started out slow, but finished up strong and the scrimmage ended 5-5. They open up against a tough Hazard team, and if they can get that win, it may springboard them into a great season. Win that game, I see them going 10-0, but lose that game, they will probably go 8-2 or 7-3.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Taylor County Cardinals-- The addition of Leonard Macon (6'5" receiver with great hands) to a team that already has an all-state RB (Thomas), will make it tough to stack the box as teams have done the past several years. They have a descent QB (Turpin) and some very fast but young skill players. The line is the big question mark on this team....If they can get good line play, they may challenge Somerset for the District title. I look for the Cardinals to finish 7-3 or 6-4 this season.

Campbellsville Eagles -- Loaded with talent, but the system they run seems to be incompatible with the talent they have. They open up with Lexington Christian and play in Danville's district, so I do not think they will be more than 5-5 this season unless they upset someone along the way......

Green County Dragons -- Coming off a one loss season they return most of their team. The players they did lose where a big part of their team, and it will be interesting to see how the new players do. They scrimmaged Lexington Christian last week and started out slow, but finnished up strong and the scrimmage ended 5-5. They open up against a tough Hazard team, and if they can get that win, it may springboard them into a great season. Win that game, I see them going 10-0, but lose that game, they will probably go 8-2 or 7-3.

Good Job breaking down the teams Bull I have just a few questions.

Taylor Co. I really expect them to be much improved and be a very explosive offensive team. I just worry about them throwing the ball more this year and going away from Thomas. Do you expect Macon and Thomas to play any Defense. If Taylor can make some defensive stops, the line provide decent blocking I would expect them to finish no worse than behind Somerset in District. Caverna and Hart SHOULD be wins for Taylor Co. Monroe and Marion are both winnable games for Taylor now with Macon. I would gues Taylor winning 7 games.

Campbellsville: What type of offense are they running this year? I've heard people saying they are running everything from a spread to a Wing T as their primary offensive sets. They do have very good athletes, but playing a difficult out of district teams will give them a few losses. I think they win district beat Marion Co. and could beat Taylor Co. and McCreary Central. Green
Co. and Glasgow will both be tough games.

I was wondering how good Green Co. did and holding their own against LCA who is ranked #1 in Class A is pretty good. The way Green Co plays a ball control offensive game I wouldn't think a scrimmage really would favor them. Besides Hazard who else do you see on Green Co. schudule that can beat them?
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Good Job breaking down the teams Bull I have just a few questions.

Taylor Co. I really expect them to be much improved and be a very explosive offensive team. I just worry about them throwing the ball more this year and going away from Thomas. Do you expect Macon and Thomas to play any Defense. If Taylor can make some defensive stops, the line provide decent blocking I would expect them to finish no worse than behind Somerset in District. Caverna and Hart SHOULD be wins for Taylor Co. Monroe and Marion are both winnable games for Taylor now with Macon. I would gues Taylor winning 7 games. As far as Thomas and Macon playing defense, I am not sure about that. I will be able to tell you more after the final scrimmage Thursday. If I am not mistaken, I believe Thomas has played LB in the past, but that may wrong.

Campbellsville: What type of offense are they running this year? I've heard people saying they are running everything from a spread to a Wing T as their primary offensive sets. They do have very good athletes, but playing a difficult out of district teams will give them a few losses. I think they win district beat Marion Co. and could beat Taylor Co. and McCreary Central. Green
Co. and Glasgow will both be tough games.

I was wondering how good Green Co. did and holding their own against LCA who is ranked #1 in Class A is pretty good. The way Green Co plays a ball control offensive game I wouldn't think a scrimmage really would favor them. Besides Hazard who else do you see on Green Co. schudule that can beat them?
Taylor County -- In the past couple seasons, Taylor County really has only had one threat, and that is the Thomas kid. With the threat of a passing game it will loosen up the safety's and make it easier on Thomas because teams will not be able to bring the safety's up and play 9 in the box as they have. The line play will determine just how good Taylor can be....If the line can protect Turpin and open up some holes, the Cardinals will be tough to beat. Without good line play, the skill players will not be as good as they can be. The Cardinals scrimmage Larue County Thursday here in Campbellsville and I will be intereste3d to see how their defense looks. I will keep you updated.

Campbellsville -- Same coach, same offense.....They run primarily a wing-t and only pass on long yardage situations. Until they prove they can throw the ball and will throw the ball, teams will stack the box and shut down the run, making Campbellsville pass to beat them. The Taylor County game is a rivalry game and it is really a toss up in my opinion. Green and Danville are losses as well as the Lexington Christian game to open the season. If Campbellsville will pass the ball enough to keep the defense from keying solely on the run, they will have a chance in the rest of the games.

Green County -- Metcalfe County will be a tough game....They lost several of their top players, but it is a rivalry game and should be relatively close.
The Massey Ratings have Green County favored over Hazard by 11, Taylor County underdogs to Monroe County by 2, and Campbellsville underdogs by 16 to Lexington Christian.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:The Massey Ratings have Green County favored over Hazard by 11, Taylor County underdogs to Monroe County by 2, and Campbellsville underdogs by 16 to Lexington Christian.

I don't know if the Dragons should be favored by as many as 11 over a very good Hazard Football team. This should be a very good game with team with 2 different styles. Being at home I would say Taylor is the favorites over Monroe, which will be better this year but still only won 2 games last season. I too think LCA will roll over Cville, and them being at home is only a bonus.

I'm going to try to watch some of the Taylor Co. scrimmage do you know what time it starts? I'm thinking this year will have a lot of pressure on both Cville and Taylor Co. coaches with the amount of talent each team has. Both of these team could be the most talent Turpin or Wiseman has had since they've been at each school.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:I don't know if the Dragons should be favored by as many as 11 over a very good Hazard Football team. This should be a very good game with team with 2 different styles. Being at home I would say Taylor is the favorites over Monroe, which will be better this year but still only won 2 games last season. I too think LCA will roll over Cville, and them being at home is only a bonus.

I'm going to try to watch some of the Taylor Co. scrimmage do you know what time it starts? I'm thinking this year will have a lot of pressure on both Cville and Taylor Co. coaches with the amount of talent each team has. Both of these team could be the most talent Turpin or Wiseman has had since they've been at each school.
The scrimmage will be @ 7:00p at Taylor County High School. As far as the pressure on the coaches I do agree with ya. Wiseman will be under the most pressure because they have consistently had the better athletes and have underachieved in the CHS fans eyes. Turpin has a longer leash because of his name and people are more patient with him. Many more losses like last year to the Eagles and the patience will be tested though. I too think Taylor should beat Monroe County, but I will see more tonight as I will be looking at the line play and without a descent line, Taylor will not be as good as they can be.
A change in an earlier post I made regarding Campbellsville -- They play in one of the weakest districts in the state. I was going by the district prior or realignment. They are favored to win the district according to the Massey Rating system. Green County is projected to be the District Champions and Taylor County is Projected to be 4th in the district. I think Taylor will be a 2-3 seed in the playoffs, but I have been wrong before.
Green County should be the preseason favorite, but they have to travel to Metcalfe and glasgow this season so that will be a tall task. Green Co. always scrimmages a TOUGH Louisville Ballard team friday, but I'm not sure how much time the starters will get.

Cville is always a team that leaves me shaking my head when I finish watching them play. They seem to always have the better TALENT skill wise of the 3 schools, but Green Co. has beat them 2 years in a row and last year beat them by like 50 points. This year is no expection that Cville is loaded with athletes again but rather or not they can put it together will remain to be seen. But the realignment may have not helped a team in the State more than Cville. They move from being in districts with teams like Danville, Bardstown, or L-ville Holy Cross. To playing Lynn Camp, Williamsburg, and Clinton Co. So I can see them having a season like last year but making it to the Regional Finals vs. Hazard. P.S I would be suprised if they can stay within 2 TD's of LCA. They are an EXPLOSIVE offensive football team.

I'm going to watch some of the Taylor Co. scrimmage tonight and I'll give you my report on them tommorrow. As you stated I'm going to be looking at the line play, and how good the defense is able to hold up. I've heard people say that Cville had their way with LaRue (not sure I wasn't there) I'm pretty sure that without a doubt this is the most talented team Turpin has had while at Taylor Co. They also have some very talented young players as well, but I'm not sure how many of those who are going to play. Rumors has it that Taylor Co. has went to a spread offense this season and Thomas is getting less carries, and their letting Turpin throw the ball more to Macon and the other recivers.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:The scrimmage will be @ 7:00p at Taylor County High School. As far as the pressure on the coaches I do agree with ya. Wiseman will be under the most pressure because they have consistently had the better athletes and have underachieved in the CHS fans eyes. Turpin has a longer leash because of his name and people are more patient with him. Many more losses like last year to the Eagles and the patience will be tested though. I too think Taylor should beat Monroe County, but I will see more tonight as I will be looking at the line play and without a descent line, Taylor will not be as good as they can be.
I have also heard the scrimmage is at 6:00p.....I will be there @ 6:00 so that either way, I am there on time...lol
During the varsity portion of the scrimmage, Taylor County scored 22 points and Larue County scored 16. Taylor County seemed to rely on Macon and Thomas heavily. Turpin is a descent pocket passer, but he is not fast and has trouble when having to throw on the run. His short and mid-range passes are relatively accurate, but his long passes are floaters. Thomas had 2 td's...One on a draw and another on a RB over the middle pass. Taylor looked average on offense and defense in the scrimmage. Macon and Thomas are legit players, and unless Taylor County learns to use the other players on their roster, they will be no better than what they are projected to be, and that is fourth in the district.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:During the varsity portion of the scrimmage, Taylor County scored 22 points and Larue County scored 16. Taylor County seemed to rely on Macon and Thomas heavily. Turpin is a descent pocket passer, but he is not fast and has trouble when having to throw on the run. His short and mid-range passes are relatively accurate, but his long passes are floaters. Thomas had 2 td's...One on a draw and another on a RB over the middle pass. Taylor looked average on offense and defense in the scrimmage. Macon and Thomas are legit players, and unless Taylor County learns to use the other players on their roster, they will be no better than what they are projected to be, and that is fourth in the district.

Yeah I agree It seemed every play went to either Macon or Thomas. I could be wrong but I thought Thomas scored all 3 of Taylor's TD'S. Not to mention the offensive load they have I also noticed both played OLB as well on defense. Both are excellant players and should have them finish no worse that 4th in the district. I've heard people say Wayne Co. is pretty good this season so I don't know rather they can beat them, and Somerset as we all know is the class of that district.

On Defense Taylor seemed to be well coached but still will have a hard time keeping people out the end zone. Macon is a good athlete but seem to not reall be intense on the defensive side of the ball. The first game vs Monroe should tell alot about how Taylor's season will go.
Taylor Co. will be very good this season. I think that they will be one of the teams to beat for the district title. I can't wait until we go to Campbellsville for the big district game between the Briar Jumpers and Taylor.

Thomas, is the best running back in the region and one of the best in state IMO. He is very fast, strong, explosive, hard runner. He had over 2000 yards last season. Plus, with Macon at receiver and their returning QB, they will be a pretty balanced team.
Meaty Wrote:Taylor Co. will be very good this season. I think that they will be one of the teams to beat for the district title. I can't wait until we go to Campbellsville for the big district game between the Briar Jumpers and Taylor.

Thomas, is the best running back in the region and one of the best in state IMO. He is very fast, strong, explosive, hard runner. He had over 2000 yards last season. Plus, with Macon at receiver and their returning QB, they will be a pretty balanced team.
Macon and Thomas are legit threats, but their line play and their inconsistent QB play will hurt the Cardinals. They played very poorly in the secondary tonight, and that was against a team that only had one passing play it seemed. Taylor will have to improve drastically to challenge for the district, but they have the talent.
The Campbellsville team and coaches were at the scrimmage tonight scouting. The players I talked to said that they beat Larue last week. Campbellsville scrimmages Monroe County Friday night.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Macon and Thomas are legit threats, but their line play and their inconsistent QB play will hurt the Cardinals. They played very poorly in the secondary tonight, and that was against a team that only had one passing play it seemed. Taylor will have to improve drastically to challenge for the district, but they have the talent.

Yea their O-Line isn't the greatest but they have talent. At least they did last season. We torched them last season passing but we also lost all of our offense pretty much.

I loved playing against Taylor Co. last season in the season and in the playoffs. They are all great sports. They all have great sportsmanship. I have much respect for that team.
Meaty Wrote:Yea their O-Line isn't the greatest but they have talent. At least they did last season. We torched them last season passing but we also lost all of our offense pretty much.

I loved playing against Taylor Co. last season in the season and in the playoffs. They are all great sports. They all have great sportsmanship. I have much respect for that team.
They seem to be good kids, and I hope they make a run in the district. They do have the talent, but based on what I saw tonight, they have a lot of work to do. If their line play and their QB play can become more consistent, they will be a team that is balanced and is dangerous. We will see next Friday night how they have improved as compared to the scrimmage against Larue.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:The Campbellsville team and coaches were at the scrimmage tonight scouting. The players I talked to said that they beat Larue last week. Campbellsville scrimmages Monroe County Friday night.

What was the score of the Cville LaRue Co. scrimmage. And how would you comapre Taylor Co. to cville this year.
Pigskinman53 Wrote:What was the score of the Cville LaRue Co. scrimmage. And how would you comapre Taylor Co. to cville this year.
According to the C-ville players, it was 35-14, but I was not there so I do not know for sure. TC's line and secondary looked very average, and Campbellsville has all returning starters on the line from what they say. Last season, Campbellsville controlled the line and controlled the game, and if they can come out firing off the ball as they did last year, they will give Taylor fits. It is early and both teams have time for improvement.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:According to the C-ville players, it was 35-14, but I was not there so I do not know for sure. TC's line and secondary looked very average, and Campbellsville has all returning starters on the line from what they say. Last season, Campbellsville controlled the line and controlled the game, and if they can come out firing off the ball as they did last year, they will give Taylor fits. It is early and both teams have time for improvement.

I also heard Cville handled LaRue pretty easy but I wasn't there as well so I wasn't sure. Campbellsville does return several players, but as with Taylor Co. I think depth will be a major area of concern. Campbellsville has several players going both ways. I would give the edge to cville because of line play. In the scrimmage last night several times Turpin was running for his life back in the pocket, and would have took several Sacks if they could have hit the QB
Pigskinman53 Wrote:I also heard Cville handled LaRue pretty easy but I wasn't there as well so I wasn't sure. Campbellsville does return several players, but as with Taylor Co. I think depth will be a major area of concern. Campbellsville has several players going both ways. I would give the edge to cville because of line play. In the scrimmage last night several times Turpin was running for his life back in the pocket, and would have took several Sacks if they could have hit the QB
Did you see that QB run on the 2 point conversion? It was funny because they ran the QB knowing he could not be hit....I would have laid him out if he tried that crap on me.
Went to Campbellsville and Taylor County's scrimmages yesterday and today and was surprised with Campbellsville's offense. They passed the ball more than ran it, I though I was going to faint....lol -- Campbellsville's defense needs some work, and their running game needs some fine tuning due to the new system. They ran out of the shotgun about half the plays, which is a big change from the smash mouth wing-t system they had in the past couple years.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Did you see that QB run on the 2 point conversion? It was funny because they ran the QB knowing he could not be hit....I would have laid him out if he tried that crap on me.

LoL that is crazy

I guess Cville is trying to spread the ball around more and get the ball to McCubbins, Taylor, and those other athletes on the fringe. The only thing is that I don't know if they can beat Hazard (saying they make it that far) in the Region trying to play that type of game. It will also be very difficult to beat LCA playing that game as well.

How do you compare Taylor Co.-Cville and Cville this year to last years squad
Pigskinman53 Wrote:LoL that is crazy

I guess Cville is trying to spread the ball around more and get the ball to McCubbins, Taylor, and those other athletes on the fringe. The only thing is that I don't know if they can beat Hazard (saying they make it that far) in the Region trying to play that type of game. It will also be very difficult to beat LCA playing that game as well.

How do you compare Taylor Co.-Cville and Cville this year to last years squad
Before I watched the scrimmage tonight at CHS, I thought the game between Taylor and Campbellsville would be a battle of two teams with different styles of offense, but now I see both teams spreading the field and throwing the ball and it may be a fun game to watch. Campbellsville may have been throwing Taylor County (who was there scouting) a curve ball, but they looked pretty good throwing the ball around. It will be a dog fight and who ever get the best line play will win. Both teams have average lines and very good skill people. I think the CHS QB is better than the TC QB, but I have been wrong before.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Before I watched the scrimmage tonight at CHS, I thought the game between Taylor and Campbellsville would be a battle of two teams with different styles of offense, but now I see both teams spreading the field and throwing the ball and it may be a fun game to watch. Campbellsville may have been throwing Taylor County (who was there scouting) a curve ball, but they looked pretty good throwing the ball around. It will be a dog fight and who ever get the best line play will win. Both teams have average lines and very good skill people. I think the CHS QB is better than the TC QB, but I have been wrong before.

So how many times did Thomas Downs run the Ball?
Pigskinman53 Wrote:So how many times did Thomas Downs run the Ball?
I left in the 2nd of 3 20 Min. periods and Downes had run the ball 6-7 times. The playcalling was about 50\50 pass to rush. Monroe County lost their starting RB with either a deep bone bruise or a leg fracture, as well as a lineman. Monroe went to the passing game after the RB was hurt and moved the ball easily on Campbellsville.
Green Co looked to have a better "D" than last season vs. a talented Louisville Ballard team who dressed around 90 guys. I guess on Saturday we will see when they face the team many on here is expecting to blow them out, and also one of the favorites to win Class A state title
Pigskinman53 Wrote:Green Co looked to have a better "D" than last season vs. a talented Louisville Ballard team who dressed around 90 guys. I guess on Saturday we will see when they face the team many on here is expecting to blow them out, and also one of the favorites to win Class A state title
It will be an interesting game....I can not wait to work it....