Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Police/Fire/EMS Scanner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who all out there listens to a scanner at home? I found a website, where you can stream live scanners. Click Here for more info:http://www.police-scanner.info/live-police-scanners.htm
I thought that was illegal?
In some states. I know it is in Virginia.
What's the point?
To listen to the radio's that Police/Fire/EMS personel use. Dont you ever wonder whats going on when you hear a siren.
Jshort5 Wrote:To listen to the radio's that Police/Fire/EMS personel use. Dont you ever wonder whats going on when you hear a siren.

Not really. I guess I'm used to sirens after living in Lexington and now, Richmond.
I'm pretty sure that it's illegal in A LOT of places. I'm not going to check into it, I can just imagine that it would be illegal everywhere.

The police/fire/and emergency services channels are for like you said "personnel."

There are reasons why they want to keep the public off from them.

I understand it's a big hobby in Eastern Kentucky because people are nosey but seriously, do you realize that the people who chase down sirens every time they drive by end up causing more problems than just staying at home?

They don't need whole neighbors tuning in on scanners just to figure out what happened either. You will hear eventually, talk spreads fast.
I think it is illegal to communicate on them. I don't believe monitoring them is illegal. Not for sure though, I wouldn't see why listening to them would be illegal as long as noone interefered with the channel.
I know in Virginia everything is illegal. Police scanners are sold in just about every state though, so I wouldn't imagine it's illegal.
Well, like I said, I've not checked into it. But I also know that illegal stuff is sold in every state, scanners or not.
What ever happen to the freedom of airwaves??? Radar detectors are illegal not scanners....(in Virginia)
I think that it is silly to allow people to listen to them because they are the ones who want to get in on the action, hope in their cars, go to whoever's home that the police/ambulance/fire truck went to and end up hindering whatever is going on.