Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hazard/Clay County @ Prestonsburg (Scrimmage)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Something all the students and fans have been waiting for Prestonsburg's opening scrimmage.
I would like to know your prediction mine is

Prestonsburg-38
Clay-6

Site- Josh Francis Field.

Time- 6:30 p.m.
Hazard will join Clay County at the scrimmage.

Should be an excellent evening of pre-season football with some of the states best players being there in Tyler Olinger of Hazard, Zach Lewis of Clay, and Seth Setser of Prestonsburg.

Best of luck to each team... GO BLACKCATS!
Who is Hazard Scrimmaging up there?
Us and Clay.
Should be a hard fought scrimmage. Hazard defensive will be good but will be short due to an illness to a player on the team. But should be solid. The Hazard Offense will impress but hopefully not let them down. Best of Luck to all three teams and hopefully nothing bad happens for both teams. I wish I could come watch cause I want to see the backfield with Setser and Craynon.
bac2369 Wrote:Should be a hard fought srimmage. Hazard defensive will be good but will be short due to an illness to a player on the team. But should be solid. The Hazard Offense will impress but hopefully not let them down. Best of Luck to all three teams and hopefully nothing bad happens for both teams. I wish i could come watch cause i want to see the backfield with setser and craynon.

Who is ill and what is the seriousness of the illness?
If they are three teams there, I would assume that it would be set up like 10 plays each with competition on both ends of the field. This is a chance to work out the kinks before the opening game.
fan first Wrote:If they are three teams there, I would assume that it would be set up like 10 plays each with competition on both ends of the field. This is a chance to work out the kinks before the opening game.

I'm pretty sure it is 10 plays offense and 10 defense.
The teams will get 15 minutes of offense then 15 minutes of defense and rotate.
Mikael Campbell. They found the problem and he will be released shortly from the hospital. I am not to sure of what it was but he lost like 10 pounds in a weeks time so maybe i can find out more soon.
To me it is hard to tell much about a team in a scrimmage. Most coaches will only play the first squad for a couple of series and only run 3 or 4 plays. If these teams played in the regular season I would give the edge to P-burg because they would be the more physical of the three. I would take Hazard over Clay in a high scoring game because they would get more stops on "D" than Clay.
In the regular season i would give the edge to hazard because of speed due to a spectacular offense.
How did these teams look? ...Who look the best out of the of 3 ?
Give me a moment and I'll give my thoughts.... I'll elaborate as much as I can.
Prestonsburg- The Blackcats come out and it took them awhile to work out their kinks. Michael Burchett looked really good at QB for Prestonsburg, he was very accurate and found the open receiver each time, he did throw 1 interception. Allen Craynon done a very nice job running the ball but didn't break lose on any carries like some may have expected, Allen did score 2 or 3 touchdowns. Seth Setser was nearly unstoppable, it seemed like it took nearly three people to bring him down each time. The player that stood out for Prestonsburg was receiver Austin Gearheart. Austin had 3 touchdown receptions and one defensive touchdown as he picked off Clay County's Lewis. Matt Sword caught a few passes and scored on a 60 yard fly pattern. Blake Meade was another player that done a really nice job blocking, running, and receiving. The defense had their moments, they did really good once Hazard & Clay County went under-center but struggled versus Clay when they spread the ball out but the defense did adjust and made some stops.

Clay County- The Tigers looked really good, Zach Lewis is a stud at quarterback. He has some nice options to throw too in #15 & #81. But Lewis wowed me on his arm strength and how accurate he was, although he was picked off once by P'burg. Clay wasn't much of a running team as each time they ran it, it was stopped at the line of scrimmage. Clay's defense did a really good job containing both Hazard & Prestonsburg. They struggled most when they were spread out or when P'burg ran any off tackle plays to Craynon or Setser. Clay County is defiantly a Mountain Top 10 team.

Hazard- The Bulldogs looked good, Olinger did good but didn't surprise me as much as the other two QB's. Seems like they need to work out a few more kinks, because they showed how good they are at times. Only thing I didn't really understand is why they didn't throw it to Michael Campbell more, in one-on-one coverage he looks unstoppable but Olinger didn't really look his way a lot. On defense the Bulldogs did good stopping the run but they couldn't stop P'burg or Clay County when they passed.

P'burg won the first series over Hazard, 2-1.

Clay County defeated Hazard in their first series, 3-1. (HHS 2nd string give up one of those touchdowns.)

P'burg tied Clay County in their first series, 2-2.

P'burg tied Hazard in their second series, 2-2. (PHS JV defense give up one of those touchdowns.)

Clay County defeated Hazard in their second series, 3-2.

P'burg defeated Clay County in their final series, 2-1. (PHS defensive touchdown on interception.)

Quarterbacks- All three quarterbacks done a very, very good job. Burchett & Lewis each threw an interception. IMO, Lewis done the best with Burchett 2nd and Olinger 3rd.

Runningbacks- P'burg's backfield was defiantly the best of the three teams but, I believe #24 for Hazard, done a very nice job also as he broke a few long runs.

Receivers- Not being bias at all but, P'burg's Austin Gearheart was the best receiver their tonight. #15 & #81 for Clay did a really nice job and #20 something for Hazard done a really good job, he may have been a tight-end.

Defense- I'd say that Clay County's and Prestonsburg's defense were about equal. Hazard just give up way too many big plays, but like I said once, they still need to work out a few more kinks.

Some of the series results may not be that accurate but I just posted as much as I could remember because this lasted for nearly 3 hours.
It also hurts hazard when they have a stud quarterback and they run the ball about 10-15 times a game with him and in the scrimmage the quaterback couldnt be hit. On defense also hazard rotated all postions every 3 plays. Their to 2 interior d lineman are not released to play until about 1 week. The second series when hazard went back out they ran up and down the field on both teams Offensively.
Man scrimmages of that magnitude are gonna beat up those teams before the season even starts.
Too Good Wrote:It also hurts hazard when they have a stud quarterback and they run the ball about 10-15 times a game with him and in the scrimmage the quaterback couldnt be hit. On defense also hazard rotated all postions every 3 plays. Their to 2 interior d lineman are not released to play until about 1 week. The second series when hazard went back out they ran up and down the field on both teams Offensively.

Yes, when Austin Maggard is back and Mikael Campbell is back the defense will be much better. I wish I could have come and watched. I wish the best of luck to all three teams and hopefully they have a successful season. I believe there are going to be 4 state champions from the mountains this year.

1A Hazard, 2A P-burg, 3A Belfry, and 4A Bell.

*Edited by BGR Staff for spelling/grammar. Please use correct spelling and grammar the next time you post.*
I don't know what games blackcat alum was watching but Clay dominated both teams. P-burg never stopped Clay or did hazard. Clay scored every time but twice the whole night with their first team in. Both coaches even said it wasn't close after the game. According to P-burgs own coaches, Clay scored 7 straight times against them.
fan first Wrote:I don't know what games blackcat alum was watching but Clay dominated both teams. P-burg never stopped Clay or did hazard. Clay scored every time but twice the whole night with their first team in. Both coaches even said it wasn't close after the game. According to P-burgs own coaches, Clay scored 7 straight times against them.

What are you talking about? Clay could barely move the ball on us. They may have scored once or twice on the varsity; the rest was on the freshmen and JV team.

*Edited by BGR Staff for spelling/grammar. Please use correct spelling and grammar the next time you post.*
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Prestonsburg- The Blackcats come out and it took them awhile to work out their kinks. Michael Burchett looked really good at QB for Prestonsburg, he was very accurate and found the open receiver each time, he did throw 1 interception. Allen Craynon done a very nice job running the ball but didn't break lose on any carries like some may have expected, Allen did score 2 or 3 touchdowns. Seth Setser was nearly unstoppable, it seemed like it took nearly three people to bring him down each time. The player that stood out for Prestonsburg was receiver Austin Gearheart. Austin had 3 touchdown receptions and one defensive touchdown as he picked off Clay County's Lewis. Matt Sword caught a few passes and scored on a 60 yard fly pattern. Blake Meade was another player that done a really nice job blocking, running, and receiving. The defense had their moments, they did really good once Hazard & Clay County went under-center but struggled versus Clay when they spread the ball out but the defense did adjust and made some stops.

Clay County- The Tigers looked really good, Zach Lewis is a stud at quarterback. He has some nice options to throw too in #15 & #81. But Lewis wowed me on his arm strength and how accurate he was, although he was picked off once by P'burg. Clay wasn't much of a running team as each time they ran it, it was stopped at the line of scrimmage. Clay's defense did a really good job containing both Hazard & Prestonsburg. They struggled most when they were spread out or when P'burg ran any off tackle plays to Craynon or Setser. Clay County is defiantly a Mountain Top 10 team.

Hazard- The Bulldogs looked good, Olinger did good but didn't surprise me as much as the other two QB's. Seems like they need to work out a few more kinks, because they showed how good they are at times. Only thing I didn't really understand is why they didn't throw it to Michael Campbell more, in one-on-one coverage he looks unstoppable but Olinger didn't really look his way a lot. On defense the Bulldogs did good stopping the run but they couldn't stop P'burg or Clay County when they passed.

P'burg won the first series over Hazard, 2-1.

Clay County defeated Hazard in their first series, 3-1. (HHS 2nd string give up one of those touchdowns.)

P'burg tied Clay County in their first series, 2-2.

P'burg tied Hazard in their second series, 2-2. (PHS JV defense give up one of those touchdowns.)

Clay County defeated Hazard in their second series, 3-2.

P'burg defeated Clay County in their final series, 2-1. (PHS defensive touchdown on interception.)

Quarterbacks- All three quarterbacks done a very, very good job. Burchett & Lewis each threw an interception. IMO, Lewis done the best with Burchett 2nd and Olinger 3rd.

Runningbacks- P'burg's backfield was defiantly the best of the three teams but, I believe #24 for Hazard, done a very nice job also as he broke a few long runs.

Receivers- Not being bias at all but, P'burg's Austin Gearheart was the best receiver their tonight. #15 & #81 for Clay did a really nice job and #20 something for Hazard done a really good job, he may have been a tight-end.

Defense- I'd say that Clay County's and Prestonsburg's defense were about equal. Hazard just give up way too many big plays, but like I said once, they still need to work out a few more kinks.

Some of the series results may not be that accurate but I just posted as much as I could remember because this lasted for nearly 3 hours.

Yeah, Mikael Campbell is pretty unstoppable 1 on 1, but I agree, he doesn't get too many looks because Josh Kidd is his favorite reciever to throw to.

Mikael is a linemen right? if so then I seen him and his right arm was wrapped up.
I'm sorry I was meaning Michael Campbell not Mikael. Mikael Campbell did not go to this scrimmage because he was in the hospital and was later released about the time the scrimmages started.