Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top mountain guards from the 00's(2000-present)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Anybody from Pikeville?
In the 15th

Elisha Justice
Landan Slone
Seth Kiser
Tommy McKenzie
Shawn Newsome
Kesley Friend
I go out on a limb a post a Top 25...Just don't want to leave anyone out.

1.Landon Slone-Paintsville,
2.Ben Bowling-Perry Central,
3.Michael Hall-South Floyd,
4.Ty Proffitt-South Laural,
5.Kris Bentley-Shelby Valley/Prestonsburg,
6.Daniel Combs-Perry Central,
7.Justin Hicks-Hazard,
8.Blake Hubbs-Cawood,
9.Tommy McKenzie-Johnson Central,
10.TATE COX-JBS/KCC,
11."Boo" Fields-Harlan,
12.Shawn Newsome-Allen Central,
13.David Vance-Barboursville,
14.Aaron Cash-Rockcastle Co.,
15.Matt Thomas-Ashland,
16.Jon Vanhoose Russell,
17.ELIJAH JUSTICE-SHELBY VALLEY,
18.Steven Kidd-Rowan County,
19.Stuart Miller-Middlesboro
20.Zach Hurt-Cordia,
21.Alex Hammonds-Allen Central,
22.Chris Hurt-Johnson Central,
23.Rossi Sammons-Allen Central,
24.Chris Wilson-Everts,
25.Adam Rice-Paintsville

Active Player are in CAPS, anyway agree or disagree this is how I see it from the games and players i've seen this decade.
ball boy Wrote:In the 15th

Elisha Justice
Landan Slone
Seth Kiser
Tommy McKenzie
Shawn Newsome
Kesley Friend

He could have has such a good career if him and the coaching staff would have gotten along better. Seth was fun to watch.
Moe Wrote:I go out on a limb a post a Top 25...Just don't want to leave anyone out.

7.Justin Hicks-Hazard,
8.Blake Hubbs-Cawood,
10.TATE COX-JBS/KCC,
11."Boo" Fields-Harlan,
15.Matt Thomas-Ashland,
16.Jon Vanhoose Russell,
20.Zach Hurt-Cordia,
24.Chris Wilson-Everts,
25.Adam Rice-Paintsville

Active Player are in CAPS, anyway agree or disagree this is how I see it from the games and players i've seen this decade.

Like I said in a previous post, if you are gonna list a top mountain guards for the new century and include the 16th region. Absolutely no way you can leave out...............OJ Mayo, #5 pic in this year's NBA draft, Ethan Faulkner, ranked by pretty much everyone as a top five player in the state this season and the #1 PG by many, Jonathon Ferguson, ranked by most as the #3 or #4 best senior in the state this season, already holding scholly offers from, Miss. St., WVU, and Cincy, among many, many others
I think it's a given that OJ is head and shoulders above everyone else. As far as Elliot Co. I don't consider them a mountain team, more of a north eastern KY region.

My top ten would be:

Ben Bowling
Landon Slone
Justin Hicks
Blake Hubbs
Ty Profitt (Most overated player in the history of east KY)
Shawn Newsome
Arron Cash
Michael Hall
Daniel Combs
Angelo Smith
Shawn Newsome-Allen Central
Michael Hall-South Floyd
.Landon Slone-Paintsville
Ty Profitt-South Laurel
.mikey walters-Johnson Central
.Daniel Combs-Perry Central
When Seth Kiser was on his game he could play with the best of em. I remeber the night they played Lex. Cath., when they were #1 in state, Seth was unreal in that game. SV came a hair winning.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:When Seth Kiser was on his game he could play with the best of em. I remeber the night they played Lex. Cath., when they were #1 in state, Seth was unreal in that game. SV came a hair winning.

He was definitely one of the best.
FullCount Wrote:From the 13th region...

David Vance - Barbourville
Blake Hubbs -Cawood
Antwan Henson - Clay Co.
Stephen Asher - Clay Co. (I might be thinking of his Brother)
Brian Griffin - Clay Co. (He was 6'5", but I think he played guard)
Eddie Creech - Cumberland
Chris Wilson -Evarts
John Smith - Harlan
William "Boo" Fields - Harlan
Kris Mills - Knox Central
Stuart Miller - Middlesboro
J.D. Strange - Pineville
Ty Proffitt - South Laurel
Aaron Cash - Rockcastle Co.

I'm sure that there are many more good ones that i have left out

Good List, I agree.
deron amis deserves a lot of credit and also jacob watts and chris noble
1.Mike Hall-SF
2.landon slone-paintsville
3.kris bentley-p-burg/valley
4.mike walters-JC
5.rusty tackett-SF
6.daniel combs-pcc
7.clark stepp-jbs
8.justin hicks-hhs
9.blake hubbs-cawood
10.steven driver-lawerence co
timeout Wrote:Tate Cox and Stuart Stamper and they have 2 more years

NEITHER of those will be all time greats for the decade.
Moe Wrote:I go out on a limb a post a Top 25...Just don't want to leave anyone out.

7.Justin Hicks-Hazard,
8.Blake Hubbs-Cawood,
10.TATE COX-JBS/KCC,
11."Boo" Fields-Harlan,
15.Matt Thomas-Ashland,
16.Jon Vanhoose Russell,
20.Zach Hurt-Cordia,
24.Chris Wilson-Everts,
25.Adam Rice-Paintsville

Ben Bowling was better the Slone. He had better size and was just a flat out better player.
9Iron i think Clevenger from Pikeville should be on the list he is over 1200 points going in to senior year but will have a heavy load this year.
JC_Eagle_Alumni Wrote:What about Tommy McKenzie....he didn't score a lot because the team he was on was so balanced but he was the best floor leader i've seen in the mountains in a long time. He was smart with the ball, could penetrate on any defense, and flat out shoot!

I agree. Not from the area and not that great a fan, but a good player is a good player. I don't think that they would've went to state without him. You must have a point guard to go, and he was a great one. I am sure that I am wrong with the numbers but in the regional championship did he not hit 6 or 7 fress throws in the last few minutes to put the game away. Even if I am wrong, by watching them it was clear that he ran the team and did his job.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Like I said in a previous post, if you are gonna list a top mountain guards for the new century and include the 16th region. Absolutely no way you can leave out...............OJ Mayo, #5 pic in this year's NBA draft, Ethan Faulkner, ranked by pretty much everyone as a top five player in the state this season and the #1 PG by many, Jonathon Ferguson, ranked by most as the #3 or #4 best senior in the state this season, already holding scholly offers from, Miss. St., WVU, and Cincy, among many, many others

I really didnt even read most of this but the comment about OJ got my attention. He was a great player, but he only played, what 2 years in Ky. If you dont know why he left Ky it was due to his age. If he would've stay in Ky he would not have been able to play i know his senior year, and i think his junior year, due to his age. I think he has a world of talent and hope that he does great in the NBA so that they may say ever now and then that he played in Ky, but I dont see that happening. You are probably only going to hear about the high school state Champships and USC. If I am wrong I am sorry but his 8th grade year when they went to the state and everyone was saying how great he was being an 8th grader and putting on the show that he did (which was impressive) but I think he was 16 at the time. This means that he should've at least been a soph. I really hope he does great and I watched highlights of his game last night.
Tyson Gross from Owsley
basketballfan000 Wrote:I really didnt even read most of this but the comment about OJ got my attention. He was a great player, but he only played, what 2 years in Ky. If you dont know why he left Ky it was due to his age. If he would've stay in Ky he would not have been able to play i know his senior year, and i think his junior year, due to his age. I think he has a world of talent and hope that he does great in the NBA so that they may say ever now and then that he played in Ky, but I dont see that happening. You are probably only going to hear about the high school state Champships and USC. If I am wrong I am sorry but his 8th grade year when they went to the state and everyone was saying how great he was being an 8th grader and putting on the show that he did (which was impressive) but I think he was 16 at the time. This means that he should've at least been a soph. I really hope he does great and I watched highlights of his game last night.

Sorry sir but you are wrong......The reason he came to Ky. in the first place was age and grade. Grade Schoolers can't play HS Basketball in OH. or WVa. Therefore Rose Hill hired Jeff Hall as coach, and sent a little "bus" to Huntington, Wv. everyday.......Just so little OJ could play above his grade and age. And just for comparsion..............what you stated makes him (in some cases) less than 4 months older than some "2 year Holdbacks" statewide. (They know who they are) and you don't see them on this thread cutting a rusty!!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Warriors23RJ Wrote:Well I guess its about time for me to post my top 10:

1a.Landon Slone-Paintsville
1b.Ben Bowling-Perry Central
3.Ty Profitt-South Laurel
4.Michael Hall-South Floyd
5.Justin Hicks-Hazard
6.Tommy McKinzie-Johnson Central
7.Daniel Combs-Perry Central
8.Kris Bentley-Prestonsburg/SV
9.Shawn Newsome-Allen Central
10.Steven Kidd-Rowan County
Wow, that's quite a list...:theman: Nice Picks
dore20 Wrote:NEITHER of those will be all time greats for the decade.

have you ever seen them play??
Survivor Wrote:I think it's a given that OJ is head and shoulders above everyone else. As far as Elliot Co. I don't consider them a mountain team, more of a north eastern KY region.

My top ten would be:

Ben Bowling
Landon Slone
Justin Hicks
Blake Hubbs
Ty Profitt (Most overated player in the history of east KY)
Shawn Newsome
Arron Cash
Michael Hall
Daniel Combs
Angelo Smith

You can't be anymore mountainous than Elliott Co. You could drive off one of the mtns there and not be found until deer season comes in.
basketballfan000 Wrote:I really didnt even read most of this but the comment about OJ got my attention. He was a great player, but he only played, what 2 years in Ky. If you dont know why he left Ky it was due to his age. If he would've stay in Ky he would not have been able to play i know his senior year, and i think his junior year, due to his age. I think he has a world of talent and hope that he does great in the NBA so that they may say ever now and then that he played in Ky, but I dont see that happening. You are probably only going to hear about the high school state Champships and USC. If I am wrong I am sorry but his 8th grade year when they went to the state and everyone was saying how great he was being an 8th grader and putting on the show that he did (which was impressive) but I think he was 16 at the time. This means that he should've at least been a soph. I really hope he does great and I watched highlights of his game last night.

You are wrong, OJ could have stayed at Rose Hill and played through his Sr year. OJ Mayo born Nov 5, 1987, will turn 20 this Nov 5th, so when he graduated he was 19 just like 50% of the boys playing basketball in Eastern Ky
kyrifle Wrote:You are wrong, OJ could have stayed at Rose Hill and played through his Sr year. OJ Mayo born Nov 5, 1987, will turn 20 this Nov 5th, so when he graduated he was 19 just like 50% of the boys playing basketball in Eastern Ky

I'm sorry I am wrong. When I looked at date of birth I messed up. My appoligies.
Devin Taulbee from Lee Co.
1.Eligah Justice
2.Landon Slone
3.Ty Profit
4.Ben Bowling
5.Tate Cox

Plus I know no one ever talked about him but James Butcher was a pretty solid 2 gaurd imo.
I would throw in Daniel Kinser, from Powell County.
ladypatriot55 Wrote:have you ever seen them play??

Yes and multiple times, they are no where near that good.
obviously not.
Stuart Miller
Blake Hubbs
The kid that's still playing at Knox Central will eventually be on that list
Pages: 1 2 3