Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Adam Dunn Now an Arizona Diamondback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Arizona acquired Cincinnati Reds outfielder Adam Dunn, who is tied for the major league lead with 32 home runs, for three prospects.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3529966

With this, and the Griffey trade, the Reds have freed up about 25 million dollars to be able to go out and get someone good. Matt Holliday and C.C. Sabbathia are both free agents at the end of the year, so maybe the Reds will look their way.
Good move for the future...this season is gone. The rest of August and September are going to be long though.
Well there we go.
just like the Reds that is why they will always be losers they give up i live by the motto it is not over till its over.
Doesn't surprise me one bit, the whole Reds organization is a joke.

Homer Bailey and Brandon Phillips are next.

But all this may help the Reds in the future.
This trade does surprise me a little. Not because I thought that Adam Dunn was in the Reds' future, because he wasn't. He will be a free agent at the end of the year, and someone (not the Reds) will pay him $16 million a year for his services. So, trade or no trade, he likely wasn't going to be a Red come 2009.

The part that confuses me is why it seems they took such a lowball offer. If they had kept him and let him walk at the end of the year, the Reds would have received two additional first-round picks in next year's draft. So, the return on any trade for Dunn would have to exceed the value of two first-round picks, or the trade makes no sense.

As for who they got, I know that one guy they got is a former third-round pick who is recovering from arm surgery, so that's a big risk right there. I guess you can't criticize this trade too much until we see who the two "players to be named" are, but until then, this deal looks suspect at best.
D-backs have been looking for a left handed hitter who can hit the ball, but unfortunately he strikes out a lot to. Hate to see the big donkey go he was one of my favorite Reds players.
It isn't that we let him go that bothers me, it is the ton of **** we got in return for the league leading HR hitter. Well he is tied for it anyways.

They did the samething in the Jr. trade.
I think both moves with Griffey and Dunn were great. The Reds organization wanted to see how the season was going to pan out before making the move since the Reds weren't contenders! It wasn't about what they were to get in return. It was about freeing up and hopefully finding someone crazy enough to take on these 2 players. Adam Dunn is another Richie Sexson from a couple of years ago and Griffey just sells tickets as he should..
I just hope they dont get rid of Brandon Phillips or Jay Bruce. Those are the only two good players left on the team besides of Edinson Volquez.
Well if we lose Bruce, Phillips, and Volquez then I will officially be done with the Reds. It does free up space but at least try to get someone worth something out of the trade. Hopefully we can get Matt Holliday, I would love to have him, he is one of my favorite players currently in the majors.
I dont think that Matt Holiday will go to the Reds. I think he would rather go to a better team like the Red Sox ( who was showing interest in him) Yankees, Rays or somebody who has a chance at winning.
NIKE2010 Wrote:I just hope they dont get rid of Brandon Phillips or Jay Bruce. Those are the only two good players left on the team besides of Edinson Volquez.

There are other good players besides those three:

- Joey Votto has been a solid hitter and looks like he will be a fixture in the lineup for years to come.
- Jeff Burton was lights out in the bullpen before he got hurt, and Bill Bray has been strong this year as well. Those two form a solid young combo for the 'pen.
- Jeff Keppinger played well last year and started off well this year until he got hurt. He has't been the same player since he came back, but I think the team rushed him back too soon, and he won't be back to himself until next year.
- Edwin Encarnacion takes over as the Reds' home run leader (22) with Dunn gone. He plays terrible defense, but I think this winter they move him either to first or the outfield.
- Johnny Cueto has electric stuff and will be much improved next year after learning on-the-job this season.
- Aaron Harang has struggled most of the year, but he did finish fourth in Cy Young voting in 2007. I expect he will bounce back next season.

One thing I do like about the team is that they are now very young, for the most part. Which means most of them still haven't hit their prime yet.
Does anyone think the Power hitter out of Miami that they drafted in this 1st round will he playin in the Majors next season?
BCF4L Wrote:With this, and the Griffey trade, the Reds have freed up about 25 million dollars to be able to go out and get someone good. Matt Holliday and C.C. Sabbathia are both free agents at the end of the year, so maybe the Reds will look their way.

Part of the money has went to Yonder Alonso, the Reds’ top pick in the June draft, who signed a major-league contract worth about $4 million, through 2012. By signing a MLB contract, he has to stay on the 40-man roster through 2012. He's the workout partner of A-Rod in the offseason.

BTW, the final deal on the Dunn trade: Dallas Buck, Micah Owings (who I think is a fine pickup if he doesn't fall on the DL because you can't pass an injured player through waivers) and Wilkin Castillo, 24-year old switch hitting catcher who's hitting .254 with six home runs and 47 RBI in 104 games for Triple-A Tucson. http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...1071/SPT04

At first, I was upset about the trade. It's going to be hard to replace the offense that Dunn provided the Reds. Everyone points out his K's and BA, but let's face it, put him in a lineup with better hitters around him and no one focuses on Dunn's shortcomings.

Just keep this in mind: How many winning seasons did the Reds enjoy with Dunn playing everyday? None. How many winning seasons did the Reds enjoy with Junior? One - the first season. It just wasn't working. If the Reds couldn't hit the longball, they couldn't score.
jammin' jamey Wrote:BTW, the final deal on the Dunn trade: Dallas Buck, Micah Owings (who I think is a fine pickup if he doesn't fall on the DL because you can't pass an injured player through waivers) and Wilkin Castillo, 24-year old switch hitting catcher who's hitting .254 with six home runs and 47 RBI in 104 games for Triple-A Tucson.

I was feeling a little bit better about the trade when I saw that Micah Owings was part of the deal. From what I remember of last season, he was a pretty good pitcher, and a decent hitter as well.

Heck, the way the Reds are hitting right now, he could probably step right into the cleanup spot if he was healthy! Smile
jammin' jamey Wrote:Part of the money has went to Yonder Alonso, the Reds’ top pick in the June draft, who signed a major-league contract worth about $4 million, through 2012. By signing a MLB contract, he has to stay on the 40-man roster through 2012. He's the workout partner of A-Rod in the offseason.

BTW, the final deal on the Dunn trade: Dallas Buck, Micah Owings (who I think is a fine pickup if he doesn't fall on the DL because you can't pass an injured player through waivers) and Wilkin Castillo, 24-year old switch hitting catcher who's hitting .254 with six home runs and 47 RBI in 104 games for Triple-A Tucson. http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...1071/SPT04

At first, I was upset about the trade. It's going to be hard to replace the offense that Dunn provided the Reds. Everyone points out his K's and BA, but let's face it, put him in a lineup with better hitters around him and no one focuses on Dunn's shortcomings.

Just keep this in mind: How many winning seasons did the Reds enjoy with Dunn playing everyday? None. How many winning seasons did the Reds enjoy with Junior? One - the first season. It just wasn't working. If the Reds couldn't hit the longball, they couldn't score.
I also read where a few salaries are going to jump next season, using more than 15 million of the 25 million that they cleared up by moving Dunn and Griffey.
The snakes will win the NL West, hopefully Smile. I would love to see them play the Cubs in the NL champ. series. God I can't wait.