Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Turf Field's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With the addition of Hazard and I think Sheldon Clark, is turf field really that important? Who will be next to recieve a turf field? Pikeville, Belfry, Letcher Co Central, Shelby Valley, Johnson Central, Hazard, and Sheldon Clark are the moutain schools that have them. I know P-Burg is trying to get one.
I think it has a lot of pros and cons. Overall I would say that it is not important and to a degree takes the mud and grass stains out of the mix along with all the other fun stuff. I would like to see more nfl and college teams have natural surface.
I don't know who will be next but it certainly seems that everyone is realizing it's benefits. I don't want to change the thread topic, but also think about whether or not you think it is a positive trend or not. I know a lot of "old school" people who still prefer a natural playing surface.
Knott Central's Natural grass is absolutely beautiful! It is the best it's ever been....I'll post some pics soon
Turf fields are more amusing to the average eye as grass fields are nice also until is gets wet, but IMO grass fields is what high school football is all about. I hope that Prestonsburg doesn't get turf, I know that some do want it but I'm sure that others like me don't like the idea of turf. I already give one reason but another is the fact that when you get injured due to turf its usually a long-term injury.
Turf only has one negative and its the heat created during the hottest parts of the day but nothing else....the up-keep is easier and so on.
Turf is also faster than grass. I always like playing on turf because it was something new to me. As I started playing on it more often I starting not liking it as much. I hated getting the little rubber pieces in my cleets. It aggravated me to death. I also got one under my eye lid. It was a *****.
Is "turf toe" as much a problem now with the new ""field turf" as was the old "astro turf"? Also, what about "strawberries"?
DevilsWin Wrote:Is "turf toe" as much a problem now with the new ""field turf" as was the old "astro turf"? Also, what about "strawberries"?

The field turf is different and better than astro turf because it is longer and feels a lot more like natural grass. It is also a lot softer which takes away a lot of the injuries you would get on astro turf, such as turf toe.
I know turf has a lot of benefits, but grass is old school and it is what fball was meant to be played on.

The new style tuff is much better than the astro turf.IMO
Brooks4Prez Wrote:The field turf is different and better than astro turf because it is longer and feels a lot more like natural grass. It is also a lot softer which takes away a lot of the injuries you would get on astro turf, such as turf toe.

Torn ACL,or an MCL.
after those injury's your done
they said that the new turf like the one we have feels like natural grass, thus decreasing the chance of injuries. Our field feels like natural grass. Not like UVA Wise field, and Papa John Stadium looking more like carpet.
THUGLIFE#1 Wrote:Torn ACL,or an MCL.
after those injury's your done

But those injuries can happen at any time on any playing surface.
I tore my acl and distintegrated my miniscus last season about the fifth game and we were at home on grass...i honestly think wet grass and mud are worse than turf because you slide and then catch your self witch makes you more prone to ankle and knee injuries.

As far as career ending...im playing this season just fine and 110%, my career is not over for another year and id rather be on turf newayz so...
Turf improves the field of play in bad weather conditions. Less prone to injuries by sliding in the mud, etc. just like the above post said. Plus almost all outside sports can play on it without killing it like it would grass.

I like turf. It costs a lot to put in but it would save the school money in the long run by not having to keep working maintenance on the grass, sprinkler systems, etc.

I wish Somerset would get turf for my last season this year...
wonder who is next to get it? I am surprise that Breathitt Co doesn't get it. Maybe Paintsville, or Bell County.
cougarpride08 Wrote:With the addition of Hazard and I think Sheldon Clark, is turf field really that important? Who will be next to receive a turf field? Pikeville, Belfry, Letcher Co Central, Shelby Valley, Johnson Central, Hazard, and Sheldon Clark are the mountain schools that have them. I know P-Burg is trying to get one.

Sheldon Clark broke ground Wednesday on their field attached is a rendering of what the field will look like, the company installing the field is the same company that installed the UK Practice Field. It will be 48oz cut and pile turf not shag turf like some of the other school installed. [Image: l_3edce7b6fcc7da4cbc4bfce8b85feb57.jpg]
Ours is the same....the FieldTurf company is doing ours then sheldon clark i think identical for the most part.
tvmce99 Wrote:Sheldon Clark broke ground Wednesday on their field attached is a rendering of what the field will look like, the company installing the field is the same company that installed the UK Practice Field. It will be 48oz cut and pile turf not shag turf like some of the other school installed. [Image: l_3edce7b6fcc7da4cbc4bfce8b85feb57.jpg]

So it will be saying "Martin County" in one of the end zones instead of Sheldon Clark?
BlackcatAlum Wrote:So it will be saying "Martin County" in one of the end zones instead of Sheldon Clark?

Yes because after they renovate one of the countys middle schools so it can be sutible for a high school the name will change from sheldon clark to martin county central or something personally i would like it to stay the same but i dont geuss it matters...but the change will come around the 2010 school year if im not mistaken
[quote=IntheZone]Yes because after they renovate one of the countys middle schools so it can be sutible for a high school the name will change from sheldon clark to martin county central or something....... personally i would like it to stay the same but i dont geuss it matters...but the change will come around the 2010 school year if im not mistaken.....but today i fund out why they called this field "THE ROCK" because they dug up about a 200 pound boulder out of the middle of the field it was pretty wicked! [quote]
so is another school consolidating with sheldon clark or are they just changing the name?
cougarpride08 Wrote:so is another school consolidating with sheldon clark or are they just changing the name?

Just changing their name.

Sheldon Clark is the only high school in Martin County.