Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Class A-AAAAAA Top 5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know that football is a little while away but like most I'm real excited about the upcoming season and thought that this would bring up some good discussion.

What's your top 5 for each class? Here's mine...

Class A
1.)Beechwood
2.)Hazard
3.)Lexington Christian
4.)Raceland
5.)Mayfield

Class AA
1.)Fort Campbell
2.)Newport Central Catholic
3.)Bardstown
4.)Metcalfe County
5.)Prestonsburg

Class AAA

1.)Lou. Central
2.)Belfry
3.)Paducah Tighlman
4.)Breathitt County
5.)Russell

Class AAAA

1.)Lexington Catholic
2.)Bell County
3.)Warren East
4.)Boyle County
5.)Harrison County

Class AAAAA

1.)Highlands
2.)Bowling Green
3.)Covington Catholic
4.)John Hardin
5.)Lincoln County

Class AAAAAA
1.)Saint Xavier
2.)Trinity
3.)Boone County
4.)Shelby County
5.)DuPont Manuel
I know Beechwood is always a good team but how many seniors did they lose?
A Decent Lineman Wrote:I know Beechwood is always a good team but how many seniors did they lose?

how many have they lost the last 20 years?
A Decent Lineman Wrote:I know Beechwood is always a good team but how many seniors did they lose?

They lost Tommy Bankemper who had 585 yards rushing last season, they return his backup Neico Teipel, who had 815 yards rushing for the Tigers last season. They also return quarterback Cody Elliott, who had over 1,000 yards passing. Beechwood also return D1 prospect Dominic Mainello on the offensive line.

I'm sure Beechwood lost some linemen but they have a very good football program that can play with almost anyone in the state year in and year out, so I'm sure that they only reloaded at positions were seniors graduated.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I know that football is a little while away but like most I'm real excited about the upcoming season and thought that this would bring up some good discussion.

What's your top 5 for each class? Here's mine...

Class A

4.)Cumberland

Cumberland is now part of Harlan County....
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Cumberland is now part of Harlan County....
Cool... Good catch!
You think Lincoln County is better than Johnson Central.. how many players did Lincoln County lose?
3A looks a little inpredictable.... I dont know how to tell you but teh EAST will win this year.
cougarpride08 Wrote:You think Lincoln County is better than Johnson Central.. how many players did Lincoln County lose?

Johnson Central lost there starting runningback, quarterback, fullback/linebacker, and some key linemen. Johnson Central will still be a top 10 team in 5A but not a top 5, Lincoln is also a more athletic team and it showed last season at Lincoln County.
They haven't played a game together yet, but Harlan County should be pretty good, as mentioned in another topic they will be a 5A playing a 3A schedule. All three high schools (Cawood, Evarts, Cumberland) had decent teams last year with some pretty good talent, you put them all together with Tom Larkey and they should be alright. It may take a few games for the players to get used to one another. Can't help but to be excited, my kids aren't even old enough to go to school, but I am 100% behind the BEARS. I do have two nephews and their friends I've watched since the 5th grade that will be there next year or the next couple of years. GO BEARS!!!!!
I kind of agree with you there Blackcat. Just a few changes though.

Class A

1. Beechwood
2. Lexington Christian
3. Hazard
4. Raceland
5. Mayfield

Class AA

1. Newport Central Catholic
2. Fort Campbell
3. Metcalfe County
4. Bardstown
5. Prestonsburg

Class AAA

1. Central
2. Breathitt County
3. Paducah Tighlman
4. Belfry
5. Russell

Class AAAA

1. Lexington Catholic
2. Bell County
3. Warren East
4. Boyle County
5. Franklin County

Class AAAAA

1. Highlands
2. Covington Catholic
3. Bowling Green
4. John Hardin
5. Johnson Central

Class AAAAAA

1. Trinity
2. Saint Xavier
3. Boone County
4. Male
5. DuPont Manuel
^I'm not sure I'd move Belfry down that low, especially below Breathitt County. Remember the Pirates manhandled the Bobcats last season.
Thats true man, I'm not going to aurgue with you about that. But the key words are: Last Season. Its an entire new season...And in football season anything is possible.
Real Badman Wrote:Thats true man, I'm not going to aurgue with you about that. But the key words are: Last Season. Its an entire new season...And in football season anything is possible.

True,
But you have to also look at it logically. Belfry beat Breathitt by 48 points (7TD's)

Do you really honestly think than Breathitt can easily make up 7 TD's against a team who:
1) Returns just as many if not more starters

2) Returns all but one starting lineman from an O-line that absolutely dominated Breathitt

3) Returns Charlie Dotson and Ivan Lee, who both ran for over 100 yards against the Bobcats, as well as Thomas Varney and Andrew Elkins who also scored rushing TD's.

4) Returns most of the defense which shut down Channing Fugate, Breathitt's workhorse

Stranger things have happened and by season's end Bretahitt may be better than Belfry, but there is no way that when the season kicks off Breathitt will have the better team in Week 1.
Real Badman Wrote:I kind of agree with you there Blackcat. Just a few changes though.

Class A

1. Beechwood
2. Lexington Christian
3. Hazard
4. Raceland
5. Mayfield

Class AA

1. Newport Central Catholic
2. Fort Campbell
3. Metcalfe County
4. Bardstown
5. Prestonsburg

Class AAA

1. Central
2. Breathitt County
3. Paducah Tighlman
4. Belfry
5. Russell

Class AAAA

1. Lexington Catholic
2. Bell County
3. Warren East
4. Boyle County
5. Franklin County

Class AAAAA

1. Highlands
2. Covington Catholic
3. Bowling Green
4. John Hardin
5. Johnson Central

Class AAAAAA

1. Trinity
2. Saint Xavier
3. Boone County
4. Male
5. DuPont Manuel

I like your opinions but there I think that Harrison is better than Franklin County and I think they proved that last year! in the playoffs
I was wondering, what does Central return in 3A along with Breathitt and PT???
Just wondering? I know what belfry and Russell have coming back but the others I dont know anything about.
Well in 6A it should be...

1.Saint Xavier
2.Trinity
3.Henry Clay
4.Louisville Male
5.Boone County
Central returns more than likely the most talented defensive lineman in the state, in Mister Gobble who terrorized belfry last year and who is an early commitment to UK.

Along with one of the states top talents in Ridge Wilson at OLB.
Central looked sharp on offensive in 7 on 7's and many believe that they are more talented on offense this season as they return they're entire O-line
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I was wondering, what does Central return in 3A along with Breathitt and PT???
Just wondering? I know what belfry and Russell have coming back but the others I dont know anything about.

They return 7 starters off of a fantastic defensive unit, including 4 Major D-1 Recruits including Cobble (Probably will be a 3 or 4 Star), Wilson (3 Star), and Junior DE Jordan Tennyson and Junior LB Tim Patterson. Patterson is expected to be the top ranked recruit in the state of Kentucky next season.

Offensively I believe they return 4 starters, but all indications are they will not miss a beat from last year. Central has been extra impressive in 7 on 7 Tourneys thusfar.
Cool Thanks
In 5A, I'd probably have Highlands and CovCath tied at No. 1. I know that BG is a very solid program and I respect their program very highly, but they lost a ton of their best players. Sure they re-load every year, but so does Highlands and CovCath. CovCath has a whole lot of starters returning, more than Highlands actually. CovCath, based on returning starters, could be considered by some to be the favorite over Highlands. But for now, I consider it a draw.

The Highlands CovCath matchup is going to boil down to whether Highlands can stop their running game. I'm not at all worried about their passing game as we will have the best dbs since 04 which will make them one dimensional on offense. But CovCath has a huge and talented O line returning that has me worried. Birds on offense will score a lot of points. The question is: if CovCath can move the ball on the ground and play keep away, will the Birds get many opportunities to touch the football?

Based on how their season unfolds, I might consider BG higher, but for now I think its Highlands and CovCath sharing the top spot. For what its worth, on another site, there are a fair number of posters that don't think BG is the best 5A team in the west. I hear Owensboro and John Hardin mentioned quite a bit and Christian County also.

It will be interesting to see what Letcher does during the season. I hear good things about them and was really impressed with their qb last year (Banks) whom is returning. However, their strength of schedule (or more appropriately lack thereof) probably won't give us a real read as to how good their team is until they get into the playoffs.

And in 3A, Louisville Central is loaded again this year and will be even better than last year defensively (which was pretty darn good). When Highlands plays them in the last regular season game, our newbie offensive linemen better have their chin straps tight.
charlie22 Wrote:In 5A, I'd probably have Highlands and CovCath tied at No. 1. I know that BG is a very solid program and I respect their program very highly, but they lost a ton of their best players. Sure they re-load every year, but so does Highlands and CovCath. CovCath has a whole lot of starters returning, more than Highlands actually. CovCath, based on returning starters, could be considered by some to be the favorite over Highlands. But for now, I consider it a draw.

The Highlands CovCath matchup is going to boil down to whether Highlands can stop their running game. I'm not at all worried about their passing game as we will have the best dbs since 04 which will make them one dimensional on offense. But CovCath has a huge and talented O line returning that has me worried. Birds on offense will score a lot of points. The question is: if CovCath can move the ball on the ground and play keep away, will the Birds get many opportunities to touch the football?

Based on how their season unfolds, I might consider BG higher, but for now I think its Highlands and CovCath sharing the top spot. For what its worth, on another site, there are a fair number of posters that don't think BG is the best 5A team in the west. I hear Owensboro and John Hardin mentioned quite a bit and Christian County also.

It will be interesting to see what Letcher does during the season. I hear good things about them and was really impressed with their qb last year (Banks) whom is returning. However, their strength of schedule (or more appropriately lack thereof) probably won't give us a real read as to how good their team is until they get into the playoffs.

And in 3A, Louisville Central is loaded again this year and will be even better than last year defensively (which was pretty darn good). When Highlands plays them in the last regular season game, our newbie offensive linemen better have their chin straps tight.

Good analysis, your probably right since you obviously know more about that area of the state and I agree with you about Class 3A.
What do you all think about the ranking formula on belfryky.com for class 3A
doj23 Wrote:What do you all think about the ranking formula on belfryky.com for class 3A

I like them, I probably would have had Russell a little higher though.
doj23 Wrote:What do you all think about the ranking formula on belfryky.com for class 3A

I think Russell is ranked to low.
Russell is wayyyy to low and Somerset lost nearly everyone off last year's team, they will have to earn a top 10 ranking this season.
Russell will be number 1 in AAA this year
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Russell is wayyyy to low and Somerset lost nearly everyone off last year's team, they will have to earn a top 10 ranking this season.

This year's Russell team should be better than last year's. Return entire backfield. I think they will be better at the QB position. Better passer, better for the bootleg, AJ is probably 2 steps faster than Tjones. While I think Tyler was a great football player, he was more of a powerback playing QB. They will really hurt losing Foster and Jones of Defense, but they return all their DB's, and both linebackers. The line should be stronger as long as Drew Miller stays healthy all season. Russell always has a load of good guards, while none may be as good as Foster, they will have one to get the job done. Maybe we will get a surprise though, I have no idea who are even candidates for the job, anyone know?
BlackcatAlum Wrote:^I'm not sure I'd move Belfry down that low, especially below Breathitt County. Remember the Pirates manhandled the Bobcats last season.
That was last year.
DevilsWin Wrote:That was last year.

Belfry didn't lose many players last year at all, so I don't believe that Breathitt is going to make up 34 points in one year.
Pages: 1 2