Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who do you think is the best coach is in the 3A class?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just was wondering everyone's opinion.
1. Phillip Haywood- Belfry, 2nd All-Time in Wins in state history, 2 State Titles, 4 Runner-Ups, and his legacy has transcended decades.

2. Ivan McGlone- Russell, Very high on all-time win list as well, 2 state titles

3. Mike Holcomb- Breathitt County, 3 State Titles, built a program from the bottom up.

4. Ty Scroggins- Louisville Central, Promising young coach with a state championship already. Has instilled pride in an inner city program that formerly had none.

5. David Buchanon- Mason County, has placed the Royals as a perennial Top 10 team regardless of class.

Notable:
Tom Larkey (Harlan County)* -Would be #4 if HCHS were actually a true 3A team(admin note:5A)
Shawn Hager (Sheldon Clark)
Jay Cobb (Somerset)
EKUAlum05 Wrote:1. Phillip Haywood- Belfry, 2nd All-Time in Wins in state history, 2 State Titles, 4 Runner-Ups, and his legacy has transcended decades.

2. Ivan McGlone- Russell, Very high on all-time win list as well, 2 state titles

3. Mike Holcomb- Breathitt County, 3 State Titles, built a program from the bottom up.

4. Ty Scroggins- Louisville Central, Promising young coach with a state championship already. Has instilled pride in an inner city program that formerly had none.

5. David Buchanon- Mason County, has placed the Royals as a perennial Top 10 team regardless of class.

Notable:
Tom Larkey (Harlan County)* -Would be #4 if HCHS were actually a true 3A team(admin note:5A)
Jay Cobb (Somerset)

I would put Coach Cobb in the top 5 and remove Mason Co. for my list.
Ivan McGlone gets my vote.
Jivan Ivan for sure and of course Haywood from Belfry, any wonder why these teams fight for the east title.???
Meaty Wrote:I would put Coach Cobb in the top 5 and remove Mason Co. for my list.

It's a close call, IMO. But, Buchannon has taken his teams to the State Semi's, just as Cobb, but Buchannon has built his program from the ground up and found success. Cobb came into an already successful school.
Haywood is my pick hands down.

Ivan would come in 2nd just barley beating out Holcomb who s 3rd.

I'm not a fan of Ty Scroggins and am going to wait if he was a one hit wonder before I put him in this elite list.

4th would be Tom Larkey since he will have 1 year in 3A and is about as tough as they come in the playoffs.

5th would be our very own Shawn Hager. The man is young, but he is a winner in every aspect of the word.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It's a close call, IMO. But, Buchannon has taken his teams to the State Semi's, just as Cobb, but Buchannon has built his program from the ground up and found success. Cobb came into an already successful school.
When did Mason Co play in the Semi's?

As far as I know the furthest they have ever came to the Semi's was loosing to Russell in the Regional in OT.

If I'm wrong please correct me but I'd like you to show me when they ever played in the Semis.........
DevilsWin Wrote:When did Mason Co play in the Semi's?

As far as I know the furthest they have ever came to the Semi's was loosing to Russell in the Regional in OT.

If I'm wrong please correct me but I'd like you to show me when they ever played in the Semis.........

2001 vs. Prestonsburg...they were 12-1 heading into that game before Pburg defeated them in maysville 18-13, Pburg then was shelled by an aweosme Bardstown team in the Finals.

They defeated Russell 27-14 that season by the way.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:2001 vs. Prestonsburg...they were 12-1 heading into that game before Pburg defeated them in maysville 18-13, Pburg then was shelled by an aweosme Bardstown team in the Finals.

They defeated Russell 27-14 that season by the way.

My apologies I remember now.

Thanks for reminding me.

I guess that loss was so traumatic I blocked it out of memory. LOL
DevilsWin Wrote:My apologies I remember now.

Thanks for reminding me.

I guess that loss was so traumatic I blocked it out of memory. LOL

I'd like to forget the Belfry/Pburg Regional Final that year too, a 34-14 loss.

That was the last time Belfry didn't make the State Semi's....
EKUAlum05 Wrote:1. Phillip Haywood- Belfry, 2nd All-Time in Wins in state history, 2 State Titles, 4 Runner-Ups, and his legacy has transcended decades.

Notable:
Jay Cobb (Somerset)

I would have to go with Holcomb, Haywood, Larkey and McGlone. However, Breathitt had some pretty good teams before he took the helms from Hilton. By the way, who is first in all time wins?
hawood and hager from the east dont really know alot about anyone esles
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I'd like to forget the Belfry/Pburg Regional Final that year too, a 34-14 loss.

The Prestonsburg team was unstoppable, well until Bardstown come along. That was still one **** of a team!
NIECE Wrote:I would have to go with Holcomb, Haywood, Larkey and McGlone. However, Breathitt had some pretty good teams before he took the helms from Hilton. By the way, who is first in all time wins?

Bob Schneider, current coach at Newport Central Catholic.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I'd like to forget the Belfry/Pburg Regional Final that year too, a 34-14 loss.

Belfry didn't make the state semi's in 2005 or 2006.
Gotta go with The Ivan McGlone.
FBALL Wrote:Belfry didn't make the state semi's in 2005 or 2006.

What's up with Red Devil fans incorrectly calling me out on teams making the semi's the past couple days?

Not only did Belfry make the Semi's both those years, it was your beloved Devils who put them out.....

Smile

2005 20-14 @ Russell
2006 19-0 @ Belfry
EKUAlum05 Wrote:What's up with Red Devil fans incorrectly calling me out on teams making the semi's the past couple days?

Not only did Belfry make the Semi's both those years, it was your beloved Devils who put them out.....

Smile

2005 20-14 @ Russell
2006 19-0 @ Belfry
You're right. Brain cramp. I was thinking of the new format and forgot those two games were in the semi's.

I humbly apologize.

We will just have to break the streak this year.Big Grin
McGlone and Haywood probably 2 of the best in all Kentucky football 1A through 6A. IMO
Haywood and McGlone are two of the class acts in high school football no matter where or when you reflect on coaches.
No one said head coach. I have to give a vote to Russells Garry Morris. Not a head coach but one of the best.
1. Haywood
2. Holcomb
3. Scroggins
4. Jones from Russell. He in my opinion may be the best football mind of the bunch, having been an assistant at Russell most of his career keeps him from first.