Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Favorite Book?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is everyone's Favorite book! I just got done reading Lou Holtz new Autobiography-Wins,Losses, and Lessons, It was by far an inspirational and motivational book, When you read this book so you can really tell Lou is more than just an ol'ball coach, he sounds like a true gentleman and well respected man! and is probably the best motivational speaker in the nation!
Pete Rose: My Prison Without Bars
I just got this book from PLAYBOY5, and I have to say it is a very good one so far!! Thanks PB5!!
John Wooden- A Lifetime Of Observations and Reflections On and Off The Court

Bob Knight- My Story

Both great books especially John Wooden.
My favorite book is a tie between:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
" " Chamber of Secrets
" " Prisoner of Azkaban
" " Goblet of Fire
" " Order of the Phoenix
" " Half-Blood Prince
" " Deathly Hallows

Also,

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
Selected Poems - T.S. Eliot
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner
Ulysses - James Joyce
ComfortEagle Wrote:My favorite book is a tie between:

" " Chamber of Secrets
" " Prisoner of Azkaban
" " Goblet of Fire
" " Order of the Phoenix
" " Half-Blood Prince
" " Deathly Hallows

Also,

Ulysses - James Joyce

I totally forgot about of mice and men, great book as well.
Yea Stat and CE you guys prob know im not the reading type. But I loved "Of Mice And Men. A CLASSIC!
Real Badman Wrote:Yea Stat and CE you guys prob know im not the reading type. But I loved "Of Mice And Men. A CLASSIC!

Where you forced to read it during school or did you read it on your own time? I never have read a book on my own time, the only books I've read were the ones that decided whether or not I passed high school.

Although, if I had to choose one I believe that it would be a short story called, "The Most Dangerous Game".
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Where you forced to read it during school or did you read it on your own time? I never have read a book on my own time, the only books I've read were the ones that decided whether or not I passed high school.

Although, if I had to choose one I believe that it would be a short story called, "The Most Dangerous Game".

Yeah I was forced to read it in high school, and one of the very few times I actually liked the book! But the Wooden and Knight books I read on my own time and glad that I did.
All the books on my list (except To Kill a Mockingbird) I was not forced to read. I found that the books we were "required" to read I did not like very much, while the ones I read on my own time I found more enjoyable.
ComfortEagle Wrote:All the books on my list (except To Kill a Mockingbird) I was not forced to read. I found that the books we were "required" to read I did not like very much, while the ones I read on my own time I found more enjoyable.

That is exactly how I feel!
My Prison Without Bars- Pete Rose
Pure Gold- Bobby Bowden
Knight- Bob Knight
Another Bob Knight Book
ComfortEagle Wrote:My favorite book is a tie between:

" " Chamber of Secrets
" " Prisoner of Azkaban
" " Goblet of Fire
" " Order of the Phoenix
" " Half-Blood Prince
" " Deathly Hallows

Also,

Ulysses - James Joyce

Those books are great!! I also like Halfback Tough, The Thief Lord, King of Shadows, all the Hardy Boys books, and all Hank the Cowdog books.
The Green Mile was excellent.
The Bleachers is an awesome book as well.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Where you forced to read it during school or did you read it on your own time? I never have read a book on my own time, the only books I've read were the ones that decided whether or not I passed high school.

Started out as one tehn the other. Iv read it about 3 times. It never gets old.
I am a Sports Book Collector...
Sandy Koufax-A Lefty's Legacy is by far my favorite since he is my idol.
Pete Rose-My Prison Without Bars
Don Zimmer-The Zen of Zim..Awesome book because he trashes the Yankees organization throughout and Steinbrenner!
Boston Red Sox-Yesterday and Today
At Fenway-Dispatches from Red Sox Nation..I could go on and on..But I will still have to stick with Sandy Koufax-A Lefty's Legacy...

Another book that if you are a diehard baseball fan and really love the game....Dan Quisenberry wrote a book of poems before he died talking about aspects of the game with titles of...Glove from Dad, The smell of Grass, Brown Leather..Just awesome if you are obsessed with the game such as I am!
You name all that and you left out your book on your idol, John Ameche..and you forgot your book on The Boz tooBig Grin
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I am a Sports Book Collector...
Sandy Koufax-A Lefty's Legacy is by far my favorite since he is my idol.
Pete Rose-My Prison Without Bars
Don Zimmer-The Zen of Zim..Awesome book because he trashes the Yankees organization throughout and Steinbrenner!
Boston Red Sox-Yesterday and Today
At Fenway-Dispatches from Red Sox Nation..I could go on and on..But I will still have to stick with Sandy Koufax-A Lefty's Legacy...

Another book that if you are a diehard baseball fan and really love the game....Dan Quisenberry wrote a book of poems before he died talking about aspects of the game with titles of...Glove from Dad, The smell of Grass, Brown Leather..Just awesome if you are obsessed with the game such as I am!
Im a sports addict, but my favorite books are:
Kiss The Boys Goodbye (book about the American POWs in Vietnam)
Tales from the Steel Curtain
Man of Steel (about Terry Bradshaw)
Memoirs of a US Ranger
American Front (I just finished this one, but these are a series of books by Harry Turtledove that has rewritten history after the Confederate states won the Civil War, in the era of The Great War in 1917 in which the CSA sides with the allies and the USA, the north, sides with the axis forces. Very interesting stuff and great reads)
I LOVE to read, especially history books. I can say I have read many books I have enjoyed but some of the most memorable are:

Sun Tzu's - Art of War
Lee - Douglas Southall Freeman
General Patton: A Soldier's Life - Stanley P. Hirshson
Team of Rivals (Lincoln and his cabinet) - Doris Kearns Goodwin
Stonewall Jackson - James I. Robertson
A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn
Lincoln - David H. Donald
George Washington - Willard S. Randall

I am currently getting ready to start a new book, but it is hard to choose. It is between the following:

Washington's Crossing - Daniel H. Fischer
1776 - Daniel McCullough
An Unfinished Life: John F. Kennedy - Robert Dallek

As far as the best sports books I have read (most of them basketball) I would have to recommend:

Basketball: For the Player, The Fan, and The Coach - Red Auerbach
Let Me Tell You A Story: A Lifetime in the Game - John Feinstein and Red Auerbach
The Cam Henderson Story - Sam Clagg
A Good Man: The Pete Newell Story - Bruce Jenkins

I could recommend some more, but these are the ones off the top of my head that stood out for me!!
JR...don't forget Blue Yonder........I forget who the main character was.....but he was a tall skinny kid from Paintsville if I remember correctly
OffTheHook Wrote:The Green Mile was excellent.

I agree!! I actually liked the book better than the movie...

ONE of my favorites is
A Child Called It by Dave Peltzer