Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lexington Catholic's Maronde selected by the A's as the #1294 pick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lexington Catholic's stud southpaw John Maronde was selected as the #1294 pick of the 2008 MLB draft to the Oakland A's.

Out of the players from Kentcuky who were selected in the draft only Maronde and Zack Cox from PRP made it to the state tournament. Robbie Ross(LCA), Cory Farris(Boone County High School), Jeremy Dobbs(Daviess County High School), and Daniel Webb(Heath High School) all got an early exit in the post season.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Lexington Catholic's stud southpaw John Maronde was selected as the #1294 pick of the 2008 MLB draft to the Oakland A's.

Out of the players from Kentcuky who were selected in the draft only Maronde and Zack Cox from PRP made it to the state tournament. Robbie Ross(LCA), Cory Farris(Boone County High School), Jeremy Dobbs(Daviess County High School), and Daniel Webb(Heath High School) all got an early exit in the post season.
Webb will most likely go to UK, I don't know what happened. He was on most boards as a top 30 pick and dropped wayyyyyyyy down to the 800's.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Webb will most likely go to UK, I don't know what happened. He was on most boards as a top 30 pick and dropped wayyyyyyyy down to the 800's.

He had a lot of control problems during the course of the year. I am guessing that could have played a role in where he ended up.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Webb will most likely go to UK, I don't know what happened. He was on most boards as a top 30 pick and dropped wayyyyyyyy down to the 800's.

I think that EVERYONE should go to college... Get an education just in case you tear your ACL, Rip a hammy, throw out your arm, etc.... but if something like that does not happen... then you get to see what a higher level of baseball is and see how you handle top notch competition day in day out...
Bosox Fan Wrote:I think that EVERYONE should go to college... Get an education just in case you tear your ACL, Rip a hammy, throw out your arm, etc.... but if something like that does not happen... then you get to see what a higher level of baseball is and see how you handle top notch competition day in day out...

I disagree! I say if you have the chance to go, then go. You can always go back to school, but you may not always be able to play baseball, you could get hurt in college. I say if you have any kind of pick at all out of high school take it and see where it goes. They release you quick if they don't think you can contribute, and you can always go back to school after that. Don't ever pass up that opportunity.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I disagree! I say if you have the chance to go, then go. You can always go back to school, but you may not always be able to play baseball, you could get hurt in college. I say if you have any kind of pick at all out of high school take it and see where it goes. They release you quick if they don't think you can contribute, and you can always go back to school after that. Don't ever pass up that opportunity.

I know but I just think an education is the number 1 thing
Just about all of these guys have stipulations in their contracts that whomever drafts them will pay for their college education if it does not work out and they get released. That should not be an issue.
I thought his name was Nick Maronde.
Augie Garrido Wrote:I thought his name was Nick Maronde.

I don't know, I know that is what was listed on the MLB website.