Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: "I've never unbuckled a corpse"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now, I'm pro-seatbelt, but I think anyone who says that line needs to add a disclaimer.
It happened nearly 300 times last year in Va.
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/safety...sp?id=5262
What happened nearly 300 times? I saw no statistic that was around 300?
What happened nearly 300 times? I saw no statistic that was around 300?

According to preliminary numbers from the Highway Safety Office, 1,026 people died on Virginia roads in 2007, and 749 of those deaths occurred in vehicles equipped with safety restraints. Sixty percent (452) of the 749 people who died were not wearing restraints.

So if you take 40% (the amount of people that died while wearing seat belts) of 749 it is 299.6. So that is where he is getting his 300.
Last year me and my nephew where driving back from West Liberty and we flipped his car into a field, luckily we were both wearing our seatbelts and we came away with a few bumps and bruises.

I'm sure others have a different opinion than mine but I always wear my seatbelt because of that one incident.
I don't understand how they make wearing a seatbelt a law, but when you drive a motorcycle, that you don't have to wear a helmet. Can anyone make any sense of that at all?
Yeah and you can put 60 kids on a bus and not have them wear one..its a money racket for the state. I dont wear one. Its uncomfortable as **** so Ill take my chances without one..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah and you can put 60 kids on a bus and not have them wear one..its a money racket for the state. I dont wear one. Its uncomfortable as **** so Ill take my chances without one..

You make a good point with the school bus and all but as for the seatbelt being uncomfortable, it doesn't bother me one bit while driving or riding in a vehicle and I'm a pretty good sized man.
When I get into a vehicle, its instinct to put on my seatbelt. I guess its just how my parents used to play a game. Whoever got the seatbelt on first was the winner. And it just kinda stuck to me.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Yeah and you can put 60 kids on a bus and not have them wear one..its a money racket for the state. I dont wear one. Its uncomfortable as **** so Ill take my chances without one..

I agree with you man.
FWIW, that saying, the i've never unbuckled a corpse, dead person, came from the KSP. Who in fact never touch a person at the scene of an accident. Ask an EMT if they have ever unbuckled a dead person.
one of my close friends had a accident may 19 and she was t-boned and they said that if she wasnt wearing a seat belt she could have died cause she would have hit the steering wheel with alot of force but she came away with a deep bruise from her hip to her ankle and a sprained ankle....and i have worn my seat belt since
Show me the stat where they can say that seatbelts saved someone from fatality.
Then show me the stats were seatbelts actually caused the death.
I bet the latter is higher.
In fact...I know it would be.
I am a fan of seatbelts, but I don't think it should be a mandatory law to wear them.
Every year we have people get killed by seatbelts, so could we say that the law had a hand in their death?
The Guru Wrote:Show me the stat where they can say that seatbelts saved someone from fatality.
Then show me the stats were seatbelts actually caused the death.
I bet the latter is higher.
In fact...I know it would be.
I am a fan of seatbelts, but I don't think it should be a mandatory law to wear them.
Every year we have people get killed by seatbelts, so could we say that the law had a hand in their death?

Well I have had to work several accidents where there was fatalities and then there wasnt. I have sen where someone was thrown from the veh and walked away and if they would have had there seat belt on they would have been killed. and I have seen some the other way as well. The thing is accidents happen and if its your time to go its your time to go and there isnt anything you do or anything you wear that is going to stop it. Yes seatbelts can stop alot of injuries but they can cause alot of injuries as well just like air bags.

I dont wear one because it made me feel like I was smothering. But I guess I should.