Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th Region History...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
basketballfan000 Wrote:I think the younger people forget that this region use to be made up of over 20 teams ( and i am just guessing). To make it to the state is a great deal but in the past you had to play a great deal more teams. We have districts now that have 3 teams and two get in. In the past you NEVER had lest than four teama and usually more like 5 or 6 to just make it our of the district. So to say tha todays teams could play with the past is to me a slap in the face. I guess i am old but you had more kids playing, more teams in envolved, ect. Now you are lucky if you have 5 for 6 kids on the team that LOVE the game because they have a thousand things to do besides play basketball. We did not have that. Most kids today want to be on the team and be seen but they dont want to do want it takes to be a great player. I may be wrong, but please list any player in the last 15 years that has went to a D-I school AND STAYED. We have some players that have been able but they dont stay. I also think that is why it is hard for our kids to get looked at because they usually dont staly.

JR VANHOOSE - Just elected to the Marshall Hall of Fame.
March Man Wrote:I don't think you all realize that the game has changed..Now I could see the Paintsville teams of the 90's beating them, but no Allen Central team with the exception of the team that had Jeremy Hall and Thomas Jenkins...No Virgie team or Definitely no JCHS team could beat them..The game has changed alot!

One of the more ridiculous statements I have ever seen on BGR. I was getting ready to rebut, then I saw this post...

basketballfan000 Wrote:If you dont know how good the Virgie teams where with Todd May then you have no idea of history. This team had (i might be wrong) 4 or 5 players that played in college and I am guessing low. I seen them play and have played against them when they where much older. I guess the game changed when I seen Todd May hit 17 three points in (i will give you a independ league) but I guess he could not shoot. He was only what 6'9. I guess people may forget that are not older than 20 that they also had Gerald Osborne that was list as one to the top 5 juniors in the STATE and one of the best shooters that I have every seen. Of course this was a time when most teams played zone or trap so it you shot outside, it was more than 19'9. You add the Rowes and Casebolt and so on and i guess they just would be lost in todays game since it has just went so far. Before anyone says something the same Rowe boys have seemed to adjust to the new system OK since they have taken several temas to the state as coaches. Congrats to this years P=ville team but to say that they would have just walked through this region in the past is disrespect. We have what 15-16 teams, back then you had over 20. I guess some people have forgot about consildation. It use to be a BIG thing to just make it to the region because you had 5 or 6 teams in your district. Now you have four and some 3 so somebody gets to go that probably would not have made it past the first round 20 years ago. If you want to question this, please look at the teams that get to play in the regional tourn. each year that don't even have a winning record or are just over 500. I guess I am just old but please prove me wrong "with fact".

Well put. :Clap:
daredevil4life Wrote:Are you kidding? No Virgie team? I guess you have never heard of the era of Todd May, all those Newsomes and Rowes he played with. Heck, the team Virgie beat 2 years in a row, Allen Central, in 1981 and 1982 would have run Paintsville out of the gym this season.

And don't get me started on the 1989 McDowell team of Henry Webb, Rady Martin, Dickie Joe Shannon, Marc Hall, Keith Shelton, Stacey Hall, and Jesse Osborne. A boat-load of talent that could shoot with the best of them.

And I totally forgot about the Todd Conley-led Elkhorn City teams of the early-to-mid 90s. Strong inside and outside games.

Again, these are only just a few mentioned of all the great 15th region teams in history.

And the 1984 JC team was a great team. Loved watching that team play.

The best McDowell team (from what I have heard) was 1971 with Glen Turner, Steve Smith, Chisel Salisbury and others. The best team that I can remember (back to 1980) was Virige in 1982. Todd May is the best player in the 15th region going back 30 years. Todd should have been an NBA player.
cart man Wrote:The best McDowell team (from what I have heard) was 1971 with Glen Turner, Steve Smith, Chisel Salisbury and others. The best team that I can remember (back to 1980) was Virige in 1982. Todd May is the best player in the 15th region going back 30 years. Todd should have been an NBA player.

Todd was actually drafted by the Spurs...not sure if anything ever came of it though. If anyone has anymore info. please share.
That 1971 team from McDowell was their best in school history. One of the better teams in 15th region history as well.

I sure do miss those types of coaches back then. Pete Grigsby, Junior Newsome, Bobby Osborne, David Turner, Jack Stanford, Johnny Martin. And the coaches in the 50s, 60s, and 70s were some of the best ever to coach in this state.

Again, team-wise, though, have to put the Todd May-led Virgie teams in the top 5. King Kelly's Wayland teams in there. ****, so many great ones.
Wow, there is alot of history and great players mentioned in this thread.
daredevil4life Wrote:That 1971 team from McDowell was their best in school history. One of the better teams in 15th region history as well.

I sure do miss those types of coaches back then. Pete Grigsby, Junior Newsome, Bobby Osborne, David Turner, Jack Stanford, Johnny Martin. And the coaches in the 50s, 60s, and 70s were some of the best ever to coach in this state.

Again, team-wise, though, have to put the Todd May-led Virgie teams in the top 5. King Kelly's Wayland teams in there. ****, so many great ones.
ReallyCool
daredevil4life Wrote:Are you kidding? No Virgie team? I guess you have never heard of the era of Todd May, all those Newsomes and Rowes he played with. Heck, the team Virgie beat 2 years in a row, Allen Central, in 1981 and 1982 would have run Paintsville out of the gym this season.

And don't get me started on the 1989 McDowell team of Henry Webb, Rady Martin, Dickie Joe Shannon, Marc Hall, Keith Shelton, Stacey Hall, and Jesse Osborne. A boat-load of talent that could shoot with the best of them.

And I totally forgot about the Todd Conley-led Elkhorn City teams of the early-to-mid 90s. Strong inside and outside games.

Again, these are only just a few mentioned of all the great 15th region teams in history.

And the 1984 JC team was a great team. Loved watching that team play.

The 1989 McDowell team was loaded but if you put them, how can you not put the 1989 Prestonsburg team that won the region that year? The 88 and 89 McDowell teams were good but neither won the region.
IRISH4 Wrote:Todd was actually drafted by the Spurs...not sure if anything ever came of it though. If anyone has anymore info. please share.

Todd was one heck of a player and still is this day. I really wish Wake Forest would have worked for him, but as he has said God works in mysterious ways and has produced him a great life. Todd has never spoken of what happened with the NBA, never even mentioning being drafted by the Spurs. I will look into things though and get back to you on that one.

By the way I love reading this thread, everyone is giving great insight. One thing though, we was talking about this back in the regional tournament. It is so difficult to compare a team from the 70s and 80s to todays teams because the style of play is so much different. The 70s and 80s were more pound it inside to your big men and let them do most of the work and had a huge size advantage. While todays teams in the 15th are smaller and like to play the transition game while taking a lot of shots living and dieing by the three. IMO it would be athleticism (todays teams) vs a power beat and bang team (70s and 80s). IMO the 70s and 80s win this battle b/c we have already seen what happens to us at state when we play the bigger and more aggressive teams with the exception on this years P-ville team, b/c they did a really nice job.
That 1989 Prestonsburg team was good, but it was a big time choke session for the Daredevils that kept them out of Rupp that season.

11 point lead at the half. They thought they had it won. That is why you play a full 32 minutes. No lead is ever safe, regardless of how good you are.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Todd was one heck of a player and still is this day. I really wish Wake Forest would have worked for him, but as he has said God works in mysterious ways and has produced him a great life. Todd has never spoken of what happened with the NBA, never even mentioning being drafted by the Spurs. I will look into things though and get back to you on that one.

By the way I love reading this thread, everyone is giving great insight. One thing though, we was talking about this back in the regional tournament. It is so difficult to compare a team from the 70s and 80s to todays teams because the style of play is so much different. The 70s and 80s were more pound it inside to your big men and let them do most of the work and had a huge size advantage. While todays teams in the 15th are smaller and like to play the transition game while taking a lot of shots living and dieing by the three. IMO it would be athleticism (todays teams) vs a power beat and bang team (70s and 80s). IMO the 70s and 80s win this battle b/c we have already seen what happens to us at state when we play the bigger and more aggressive teams with the exception on this years P-ville team, b/c they did a really nice job.
And I suppose you were there to watch those 70's teams?Smile I thought you were about a sophomore in college, which would make you what, about 21? That means you were probably born somewhere around what, 1987? Which that would make some of your earliest recollections of any games you saw probably around the mid to late 90's. You could not be further from the truth in anything you said. The '75 JC team's tallest player was 6'1" and we ran everybody out of the gym. We lived and died on help out, deny, full court pressure from tip off to buzzer. Again some of you kids think this transition game was born here just a few years ago. Adolph Rupp revolutionized it many, many years ago.

What has changed is the level of selfishness, the lack of hard core defense, and the willingness to take charges.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:And I suppose you were there to watch those 70's teams?Smile I thought you were about a sophomore in college, which would make you what, about 21? That means you were probably born somewhere around what, 1987? Which that would make some of your earliest recollections of any games you saw probably around the mid to late 90's. You could not be further from the truth in anything you said. The '75 JC team's tallest player was 6'1" and we ran everybody out of the gym. We lived and died on help out, deny, full court pressure from tip off to buzzer. Again some of you kids think this transition game was born here just a few years ago. Adolph Rupp revolutionized it many, many years ago.

What has changed is the level of selfishness, the lack of hard core defense, and the willingness to take charges.

Great post. Not very many old timers on here I suppose. No one has mentioned the 1968-69 Johnson Central team, probably the best team that the school has ever produced talent wise. To bad they only had a few weeks together to get use to one another.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Todd was one heck of a player and still is this day. I really wish Wake Forest would have worked for him, but as he has said God works in mysterious ways and has produced him a great life. Todd has never spoken of what happened with the NBA, never even mentioning being drafted by the Spurs. I will look into things though and get back to you on that one.

Back when Todd and Rodney played, Virgie tried to get out to a early 10-14 point lead by passing the ball to the player in front of you and get the early run outs... if they had to set it up, then the tried to pound it inside because there wasnt a 3 point line. But the Virgie teams were just as much run and gun as teams are now.
kyfan Wrote:The 1989 McDowell team was loaded but if you put them, how can you not put the 1989 Prestonsburg team that won the region that year? The 88 and 89 McDowell teams were good but neither won the region.
McDowell was really Good, I believe that Henry Webb was probabily one of the best to come out of the 15th region. He was a very good and solid player.
Nobody mentioned JC's David Couch. Didn't he play at West Point?

The player with the most memorable college career in the 15th has to be Billy Ray Cassady of Inez. He played 4 years for UK and was on '58 Nat Champ team. He popularized the one hand foul shot while there.

One of the greatest players I remember in 15th region was Pat Tallent of Maytown - smooth!
There has been great teams and players over the years here in the 15th but no one has mentioned about the great 1954 Inez team led by Billy Ray Cassady and the 1941 team of Inez so they also need to be included in the great teams in the history of the 15th region.:cop:
Look at the Post above you Jed.
Did Todd May play college ball any where?
TheONLY1 Wrote:Did Todd May play college ball any where?
Started out at UK then transfered to Wake Forest before transfering to Pikeville College.
Can't leave out betsy layne of 76.....they win the region championship by a last second half court shot by ronnie clark and ending losing in the first round of the sweet sixteen by single digits to the eventual state champion.
Pages: 1 2