Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Belfry 10 - Phelps 0 (60th district Championships)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tyler Dotson picks up the win for Belfry, only allowing 2 or 3 hits, an 2 or 3 walks, I dont think a Phelps runner ever made it past second...
congrats to belfry....look forward to seeing u guys play in region.....phelps and dillon stiltner are over-rated...thank u for putting them in their place
White Lotus Wrote:congrats to belfry....look forward to seeing u guys play in region.....phelps and dillon stiltner are over-rated...thank u for putting them in their place
Their not really overrated, Dillon is a good pitcher, but he couldn't throw. After that they get weak.
i think pike central is the team that is "overrated"
I'm with high heat on this one. Nobody ever said that Phelps was a state contender. They are very young. When you have more 8th graders on the team than you have juniors and seniors combined you will lose alot of close games you should win. With them returning everyone they will be a contender next year for the region. Dillon is a good pitcher and Aaron Salyers had something wrong with his back all year. You heard it here first. Watch out for Timmy Stevenson for the next four years. He will be one of the best catchers in the region if not the state. He hit his first homerun this year as an 8th grader.
chop1990 Wrote:I'm with high heat on this one. Nobody ever said that Phelps was a state contender. They are very young. When you have more 8th graders on the team than you have juniors and seniors combined you will lose alot of close games you should win. With them returning everyone they will be a contender next year for the region. Dillon is a good pitcher and Aaron Salyers had something wrong with his back all year. You heard it here first. Watch out for Timmy Stevenson for the next four years. He will be one of the best catchers in the region if not the state. He hit his first homerun this year as an 8th grader.

??I just can't wrap my brain around this one! I don't see how there is anyway they will be able to contend for the region, especially with only one descent pitcher. Johnson Central also has everyone coming back including a stud pitcher, who is better on the mound. LC will have a lot coming back as well. They will have the best pitcher in the region on their team next season. Paintsville will do well next year. I wouldn't count out Pikeville as well. That is a big statement to make. You have to be deep with pitching or you will not win a regional championship. I think LC demonstrated that this year.
l.c will be good next year and so will pikeville.i hope your not talking about the stud pitcher that belfry had sooooooooooo much trouble with for j.c..but you didn't fully understand my statement.i said contend for the region and you can't play j.c,l.c pikeville,paintsville,belfry and the rest in one regional tournament.but,i do see your point about pitching.i don't know how much you have seen dillion pitch but,in the regional that was his worse by far.now i'm not saying he is the best but he will be top 5.aaron could be top 5 or 7 if he comes back healthy.they have a decent freshman and soph.next year.l.c won't be to strong next year.they are losing 6 off this years team and pikeville is just about all seniors.if j.c. is returning everyone next year then in my opinion they will be the team to beat.they have a real good catcher as well as that stud pitcher you were talking about.
chop1990 Wrote:I'm with high heat on this one. Nobody ever said that Phelps was a state contender. They are very young. When you have more 8th graders on the team than you have juniors and seniors combined you will lose alot of close games you should win. With them returning everyone they will be a contender next year for the region. Dillon is a good pitcher and Aaron Salyers had something wrong with his back all year. You heard it here first. Watch out for Timmy Stevenson for the next four years. He will be one of the best catchers in the region if not the state. He hit his first homerun this year as an 8th grader.

one of the best catchers in the region? come on now. He is young and is a decent hitter. To even put him on the same field as Hayes from LC, Adams from paintsville, the catcher from JC, and Williamson from Belfry is ridiculous.

Two of those four that i know of is playing college ball and the other two are juniors.

To beat it all you said he is one of the best in the state..lol
Come on lets get realistic.
chop1990 Wrote:l.c will be good next year and so will pikeville.i hope your not talking about the stud pitcher that belfry had sooooooooooo much trouble with for j.c..but you didn't fully understand my statement.i said contend for the region and you can't play j.c,l.c pikeville,paintsville,belfry and the rest in one regional tournament.but,i do see your point about pitching.i don't know how much you have seen dillion pitch but,in the regional that was his worse by far.now i'm not saying he is the best but he will be top 5.aaron could be top 5 or 7 if he comes back healthy.they have a decent freshman and soph.next year.l.c won't be to strong next year.they are losing 6 off this years team and pikeville is just about all seniors.if j.c. is returning everyone next year then in my opinion they will be the team to beat.they have a real good catcher as well as that stud pitcher you were talking about.

I am sorry, but you just have Phelps on a pedastle they don't need to be on. If you think they can contend for the region next year, then I would suggest to you to go around next spring around February 15th to Jc, LC, Belfry, Paintsville, and even Pikeville's practices and then you tell me if you think Phelps is on the same level as these teams? The Stiltner kid, even if he was he did have an off night, should have done better than what he did against a mediocre team. LC, JC, and Paintsville pitchers on an off night would have still mercied Allen Central. Stiltner is a good kid and a good pitcher, but whenver you only play less than mediocre teams all year and he pitches against most of them, your not proving anything. Now if you can throw him against LC, JC, and the rest of the horses in the 15th and he competes then I am on board, but that has yeat to happen. Not too mention Phelps would never have the offense to win a region anyway.

Oh and by the way, that stud pitcher you keep referring to is a stud pitcher. The boy had arm trouble all year, and it was pitching on short rest anyhow. If he would have been fresh then it would have been a different game, he beat Paintsville by himself basically in the district. Belfry just had his number that night, and Conley struggled with his fastball being a little flat.
once again you guys misunderstood my statement.i said watch out for him he will be one of the best catchers in the region if not the state when he is a senior.you have to remember this kid is only an 8th grader.that is true you have to have a good offense slim to win games in the region but,pitching wins championships. belfry scored only 9 runs in the region and still made it to the championship game. all those other teams that were mentioned will be good next year but, you have to remember.when you lose 6 starters as belfry did and i think pikeville lost 6 or 7 seniors and lc lost 6 seniors its hard.if johnson central has everyone back next year they will be tough to beat.
chop1990 Wrote:once again you guys misunderstood my statement.i said watch out for him he will be one of the best catchers in the region if not the state when he is a senior.you have to remember this kid is only an 8th grader.that is true you have to have a good offense slim to win games in the region but,pitching wins championships. belfry scored only 9 runs in the region and still made it to the championship game. all those other teams that were mentioned will be good next year but, you have to remember.when you lose 6 starters as belfry did and i think pikeville lost 6 or 7 seniors and lc lost 6 seniors its hard.if johnson central has everyone back next year they will be tough to beat.
'
Your correct on LC they lost 5 SR that have signed to play ball else where next year. But we had two freshman that made the 15th region all tourney team,. And the M.O.P. of the tourney was from LC and only a 10th grader. So we will be just fine next year.
chop1990 Wrote:once again you guys misunderstood my statement.i said watch out for him he will be one of the best catchers in the region if not the state when he is a senior.you have to remember this kid is only an 8th grader.that is true you have to have a good offense slim to win games in the region but,pitching wins championships. belfry scored only 9 runs in the region and still made it to the championship game. all those other teams that were mentioned will be good next year but, you have to remember.when you lose 6 starters as belfry did and i think pikeville lost 6 or 7 seniors and lc lost 6 seniors its hard.if johnson central has everyone back next year they will be tough to beat.

The catcher would have to get some serious instruction from someone who knows how to teach kids how to catch. The proper way to catch is not something that just comes natural. A lot of it is, but you have to know how to catch before you can be a good catcher. I think Hayes and Adams have went to numerous camps over the years, and that is where they really learned the proper way to catch. I wish him all the luck in the world, and I hope he turns out to be a good one.
Batpuff Wrote:'
Your correct on LC they lost 5 SR that have signed to play ball else where next year. But we had two freshman that made the 15th region all tourney team,. And the M.O.P. of the tourney was from LC and only a 10th grader. So we will be just fine next year.

LC will never quieten down its critics I agree JC will be one of the teams to beat next year.LC will be tough again I believe they will suprise JC fans.
High_Heat Wrote:one of the best catchers in the region? come on now. He is young and is a decent hitter. To even put him on the same field as Hayes from LC, Adams from paintsville, the catcher from JC, and Williamson from Belfry is ridiculous.

Two of those four that i know of is playing college ball and the other two are juniors.

high heat Wrote:To beat it all you said he is one of the best in the state..lol
Come on lets get realistic.

Yes and being from LC, I have watched Tim Hayes his whole career and seen my fair share of Paintsvilles Corey Adams and Taylor Smith over the past few years. The kid from Belfry is the most underrated catcher in the region by far, I feel he is probably the best devensive catcher in the region I watched him in four games this year and no one grabbed a base and no pass balls. He threw out four in four tries in the regional tourney. Radio said he had only 2 errors for the year and played 8 out of 9 positions thats pretty darn impressive. I have been told his bat is not as strong as the others though. Maybe AL will teach him to hit better. I hope all these kids succeed at the collegiate level.
i agree that the williamson kid from belfry was underrated.as was the kid from j.c.but,i seen my fair share of games this year and all around the hayes kid was the best i seen.i didn't see the kid from paintsville. as far as the kid from phelps if and i say if he listens to the coaches working with him the sky is the limit.he has to want it though.i didn't put phelps on a pedastel i said they would contend next year.i know that bad weather is no excuse but it was pretty bad the night dillion was pitching against a.c.he did pitch against belfrey a few times this year and if i'm not mistaken he only gave up a couple of earned runs in about 7 or eight innings.
chop1990 Wrote:i agree that the williamson kid from belfry was underrated.as was the kid from j.c.but,i seen my fair share of games this year and all around the hayes kid was the best i seen.i didn't see the kid from paintsville. as far as the kid from phelps if and i say if he listens to the coaches working with him the sky is the limit.he has to want it though.i didn't put phelps on a pedastel i said they would contend next year.i know that bad weather is no excuse but it was pretty bad the night dillion was pitching against a.c.he did pitch against belfrey a few times this year and if i'm not mistaken he only gave up a couple of earned runs in about 7 or eight innings.

Yea they ended up playing 3 times this year. Belfry beat Phelps by a combined score of 31-7. The game you are referring to is either the 9-1 game, or the 12-6 game. The other game was in the district championship and I know Stiltner didn't pitch then. so either game he would have given up a lot of runs. I wish the best for him, but I just think he was a tad overrated this year.
yea they beat them up pretty good this year.you can subtract 10 off the top rabbit.now,i'm not saying he is the best in the region but how many games did you see phelps play this year.they do need to improve and they will with experince. they will hold thier own next year.they will learn how to play the game.they need dicipline in a bad way.
chop1990 Wrote:yea they beat them up pretty good this year.you can subtract 10 off the top rabbit.now,i'm not saying he is the best in the region but how many games did you see phelps play this year.they do need to improve and they will with experince. they will hold thier own next year.they will learn how to play the game.they need dicipline in a bad way.

Discipline would be a good start, but I think they need to learn how to hit if they are going to "hold their own" in the region next year. Also, only having one pitcher could hurt them as well. He pitched a lot of games this year and high school arms can wear out over time. I have seen them play 3 times this year. Two of those times were when Stiltner was pitching. He struggles a lot in games. Some of what hurt him was his catcher. He didn't frame balls very well, and a lot of times he would not get a strike call because of where the catcher portrayed the ball to be. He has good mechanics, but his fastball is flat. Unless he gets a lot more pop on his fastball he will struggle again next year, and if he doesn't get more runs scored behind him, he will struggle even more. They only scored 138 runs this year, and they also played a really weak schedule. The only other two teams that scored less than them was Pike Central, South Floyd, and Betsy Layne, and South Floyd only played 13 games.
chop1990 Wrote:yea they beat them up pretty good this year.you can subtract 10 off the top rabbit.now,i'm not saying he is the best in the region but how many games did you see phelps play this year.they do need to improve and they will with experince. they will hold thier own next year.they will learn how to play the game.they need dicipline in a bad way.

Let them play the season next year and then maybe you may be able to feel the way we do at LC right now. But don't try to build a kid or team up to do well to watch them let thier self down. As far as your catcher he will do it for his self, no one boasted about the Williamson kid on here, and I think that any baseball man that watched Belfry would have to say he earned his stripes on the field. We had never heard of him in Lawrence County. So I believe if your catcher does what you say we will be talking about him in a couple of years. If he is an 8th grader he is still a Baseball toddler with lots of room for improvement.