Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lee Co 8 Powell Co 0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
great win for the bobcats. I picked this i knew Lee Co would not over look Powell and i know Danny Wright would have his team ready. Yep it is tournment time for sure.
Wow! Congrats on the prediction! You nailed that one, and that was not an easy upset to predict. Powell's coach has got to be on his way out. Surely after all the talent they have had in the last two years and two years in a row they have been beat out in the first round and not even made it to the region. Really unbelievable. Powell has made it to the region almost every year I can remember besides the last two. This is a really shocking score. I thought Powell would have a shot at winning the region this year...But I guess that is why you have to lace them up! Congrats Bobcats! Huge win!
Did powell throw brewer?
yes and Kinser. brewer strated
wow! im shocked lee scored 8 on powells two best
im not bashin lee but brewers pretty tough
drake mustve thrown a heck of a game and lee co. can play with anyone in the 14th when they hit the ball
Didint see this one coming. Great game Lee County. They hit the ball and played great defense, and last but not least, excellent pitching performance from Drake. Congrats.
I think Lee wanted it more they came to play Powell may well have overlooked Lee but coach Wright will always have his team ready to play. Powell wanted to play Estill but could not get it done today.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Wow! Congrats on the prediction! You nailed that one, and that was not an easy upset to predict. Powell's coach has got to be on his way out. Surely after all the talent they have had in the last two years and two years in a row they have been beat out in the first round and not even made it to the region. Really unbelievable. Powell has made it to the region almost every year I can remember besides the last two. This is a really shocking score. I thought Powell would have a shot at winning the region this year...But I guess that is why you have to lace them up! Congrats Bobcats! Huge win!

It does seem like Powell was always competing for region. But I don't know what has been with them the past 2 seasons either. Coach Varney is a very good coach, and won 14th region coach of the year last season. Just very odd for this to happen. I'm still in shock.

And good prediction basketballwizz. You picked this one!! Looks like Estill will win region, IMO.
bluegrassballa Wrote:It does seem like Powell was always competing for region. But I don't know what has been with them the past 2 seasons either. Coach Varney is a very good coach, and won 14th region coach of the year last season. Just very odd for this to happen. I'm still in shock.

And good prediction basketballwizz. You picked this one!! Looks like Estill will win region, IMO.

Yea I don't think unless PCC gets extremely hot that anyone will touch Estill. Hazard has too much going on with their program right now, and too many off field distractions. I think Estill will be playing in the sectionals, most likely against a very good Greenup County team.

I remember seeing it on the KHSBCA website that Varney got 14th region coach of the year last season. I know they vote on this before the region starts but don't you think that it is ironic that after they voted him coach of the year, he doesn't even make it to the region. There is no doubt in my mind that this guy is a good coach, but something is definetly off. Somehow they go from being a 14th region powerhouse every year to not even making the regional tournament. This should have been an easy game for Powell. This should go to show that no matter who it is, if you don't come to play, you may just go home with your tail tucked between your legs.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Yea I don't think unless PCC gets extremely hot that anyone will touch Estill. Hazard has too much going on with their program right now, and too many off field distractions. I think Estill will be playing in the sectionals, most likely against a very good Greenup County team.

I remember seeing it on the KHSBCA website that Varney got 14th region coach of the year last season. I know they vote on this before the region starts but don't you think that it is ironic that after they voted him coach of the year, he doesn't even make it to the region. There is no doubt in my mind that this guy is a good coach, but something is definetly off. Somehow they go from being a 14th region powerhouse every year to not even making the regional tournament. This should have been an easy game for Powell. This should go to show that no matter who it is, if you don't come to play, you may just go home with your tail tucked between your legs.

It is kinda ironic that he got the award, and got beat out in the first round of the district tourney. I don't know what he could possibly doing wrong. His first year, I believe that he won region and made it to sectionals. But after that season, Powell hasn't clicked. It should've been a very easy game for Powell. But like you said, if they don't come to play, then they will lose. And it looks like Powell didn't come to play. There are no excuses for Powell. Lee Co. was just the better team and they wanted it more. Great win for Lee Co. Better luck next year Pirates!!
Congrats Lee. Co.
basketballwizz Wrote:great win for the bobcats. I picked this i knew Lee Co would not over look Powell and i know Danny Wright would have his team ready. Yep it is tournment time for sure.

Great win for the Bobcats! BTW, I thought Jason Jewell was head coach at Lee Co.
bluegrassballa Wrote:It is kinda ironic that he got the award, and got beat out in the first round of the district tourney. I don't know what he could possibly doing wrong. His first year, I believe that he won region and made it to sectionals. But after that season, Powell hasn't clicked. It should've been a very easy game for Powell. But like you said, if they don't come to play, then they will lose. And it looks like Powell didn't come to play. There are no excuses for Powell. Lee Co. was just the better team and they wanted it more. Great win for Lee Co. Better luck next year Pirates!!

His first year was a left over team of Coach Brian Dean (now at Letcher County Central.) Powell was regional runner up the previous year, then after some problems with boosters Brian was forced out. He won with Coach Deans team and each year after Powell hasnt been out of the district. However Coach Dean built the LCC program and won the region last season.
Lucky7 Wrote:His first year was a left over team of Coach Brian Dean (now at Letcher County Central.) Powell was regional runner up the previous year, then after some problems with boosters Brian was forced out. He won with Coach Deans team and each year after Powell hasnt been out of the district. However Coach Dean built the LCC program and won the region last season.

I guess you do have to give Varney a little credit for the regional championship. I think they were down a lot of runs in the last inning and came back to win it. There had to be some serious motivation to do that, but it does seem as if the motivation has left that bunch.
Lucky7 Wrote:His first year was a left over team of Coach Brian Dean (now at Letcher County Central.) Powell was regional runner up the previous year, then after some problems with boosters Brian was forced out. He won with Coach Deans team and each year after Powell hasnt been out of the district. However Coach Dean built the LCC program and won the region last season.

Look that 2006 team was not Bryan Dean's team, it was Coach Varney's team. The difference between the 2005 team and the 2006 team was like two different world. Coach Varney knows so much about the game its unreal. He has said some stuff and called some things that I still can not believe. So everyone that wants to bash him can just shut up because unless you have wore that uniform under him then you have no say in this and if you have played for him you wouldnt bash him

Coach Dean is a very good coach. When he was coach, Powell was runner up in region. But with Coach Varney, Powell won it the next year. Now, Coach Varney must have done something right to win it. And like 90feetfromhome said, he is a very smart coach.
Powell just wasnt ready to play. Didnt look good in warm-ups at all. But coach varney is a great coach and does not need the bashing from people on here. Not many people has realized but powell did set a record in the powell co baseball program this year with their most winingest season. Coach varney is a great coach and will be returning to powell co next year. Count on that!
Sometimes it doesn't matter how good a coach you are or how well you prepared your team. The players have to perform. You can't play the game for them. Lee Co. was just the better team this time. Varney is a good coach and has continued the baseball tradition at Powell. He's not going anywhere unless he chooses to.
mandan Wrote:Sometimes it doesn't matter how good a coach you are or how well you prepared your team. The players have to perform. You can't play the game for them. Lee Co. was just the better team this time. Varney is a good coach and has continued the baseball tradition at Powell. He's not going anywhere unless he chooses to.

Very true!!
Congrats Lee
If getting beat 8 to 0 by Lee County is Chris Varneys fault. Can some one give me and example of what they would have done differently in this game?......keep in mind you already know what is going to happen....He obviously did somthing right during the season to get the school record. There is nothing he can do if the players that have played well all season have a bad game.
14th Champ Wrote:If getting beat 8 to 0 by Lee County is Chris Varneys fault. Can some one give me and example of what they would have done differently in this game?......keep in mind you already know what is going to happen....He obviously did somthing right during the season to get the school record. There is nothing he can do if the players that have played well all season have a bad game.

I don't want to bash on Varney, but if you play a weak schedule than it is very possible for a lot of schools to break records like that, and it looks like that was their only goal for the year.

I can tell you one thing they could have done better in the game.......HIT!!
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I don't want to bash on Varney, but if you play a weak schedule than it is very possible for a lot of schools to break records like that, and it looks like that was their only goal for the year.

I can tell you one thing they could have done better in the game.......HIT!!

You make it sound like they pounded a bunch of nobodies, which isn't true. They swept a DH at Montgomery, shutout GRC, beat Boyd, pounded Johnson Central, and only lost 1-0 at Harrison. Granted, they did beat up on some teams that aren't very good, but you can't play top-notch competition every night in baseball.

We are forgetting something very important here. Drake has been a great pitcher in the region for 3 straight years. This is not a complete shocker. It's a disappointing loss for Powell, and it is a minor upset. However, this will not be the end for Powell Co. or Coach Varney. Period!!
Norm Wrote:You make it sound like they pounded a bunch of nobodies, which isn't true. They swept a DH at Montgomery, shutout GRC, beat Boyd, pounded Johnson Central, and only lost 1-0 at Harrison. Granted, they did beat up on some teams that aren't very good, but you can't play top-notch competition every night in baseball.

We are forgetting something very important here. Drake has been a great pitcher in the region for 3 straight years. This is not a complete shocker. It's a disappointing loss for Powell, and it is a minor upset. However, this will not be the end for Powell Co. or Coach Varney. Period!!

Boyd, Johnson Central, and Montgomery all have losing records.

Boyd County is 14-17
Montgomery County is 13-14
Johnson Central is 14-15 with their win last night.

GRC is the only team that you mentioned with a winning record at 20-11, and those are the best teams that you say they have played? That is hardly a good schedule.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Boyd, Johnson Central, and Montgomery all have losing records.

Boyd County is 14-17
Montgomery County is 13-14
Johnson Central is 14-15 with their win last night.

GRC is the only team that you mentioned with a winning record at 20-11, and those are the best teams that you say they have played? That is hardly a good schedule.

If a record is what makes a team good, then we'll play that game. These teams were also beaten by Powell, but they are probably not as solid as the 3 teams mentioned above with losing records, but we'll clear it up for our ever pessimistic pal, JRS.

Berea 14-10
Lee (twice) 16-13
East Carter 22-10
Breathitt 20-9
JBS 14-9
Letcher Central 21-11
Hazard 20-8
Bourbon 17-10

Once again Slim, you seem to miss everyone else's point, except your own. Powell was a solid team and had many good wins on the season. Although the teams I mentioned earlier may not have winning records, they are still good teams. Ask Paintsville about Johnson Central and Boyd. Also, Boyd played Greenup, Apollo, and Lawrence right to the last out, close.

A team's record during the season doesn't really reflect alot, unless they only have 2-3 wins on the season. You have to look at the schedules they play and how close they've played them. Have they gotten better by doing so?

All I'm saying is, Powell had a great team and a good year. It ended earlier than they wanted, but it happens. They had some good wins against teams that were supposed to beat them, but if having a good record is all that matters, they beat plenty of teams with those too.
Norm Wrote:If a record is what makes a team good, then we'll play that game. These teams were also beaten by Powell, but they are probably not as solid as the 3 teams mentioned above with losing records, but we'll clear it up for our ever pessimistic pal, JRS.

Berea 14-10
Lee (twice) 16-13
East Carter 22-10
Breathitt 20-9
JBS 14-9
Letcher Central 21-11
Hazard 20-8
Bourbon 17-10

Once again Slim, you seem to miss everyone else's point, except your own. Powell was a solid team and had many good wins on the season. Although the teams I mentioned earlier may not have winning records, they are still good teams. Ask Paintsville about Johnson Central and Boyd. Also, Boyd played Greenup, Apollo, and Lawrence right to the last out, close.

A team's record during the season doesn't really reflect alot, unless they only have 2-3 wins on the season. You have to look at the schedules they play and how close they've played them. Have they gotten better by doing so?

All I'm saying is, Powell had a great team and a good year. It ended earlier than they wanted, but it happens. They had some good wins against teams that were supposed to beat them, but if having a good record is all that matters, they beat plenty of teams with those too.

Very true! Point taken. I agree with you about records. They sometimes mean nothing if you are playing a solid schedule every night. I know Boyd has been really down this year, however, a really down Boyd team is still better than most. JC did catch fire towards the end of the season, and not too mention they have played every game this year on the road, and that is unbelievable to me. There are many teams, especially in Eastern Kentucky in which have great records, but are not that good. The only point I was even trying to make was the fact that in the past 10-20 years Powell County generally has a tough schedule, with the exception of a few years here and there. I haven't kept up with them much since they had the kid that pitched at Campbellsville, but it just seems to me that losing in the first round of the district is completely unacceptable at Powell, and I think it should be. It just bothers me when I see teams not really play a tough regular season schedule and then wonder why they are getting beat in the first round of the district? I do see your point though and I was by no means trying to be pessimistic.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:losing in the first round of the district is completely unacceptable at Powell, and I think it should be.

Finally, something we agree on, but I do think it is unacceptable. However, I just believe that many times we give all the blame to the head coach, and it isn't always deserved. Sometimes, the other team just comes out and beats you.
I wasnt meaning to throw disrespect towards Coach Varney. He has a good record at Powell and his players play hard for him. However teams are measured in Championships. In 30 years how many people will remember the number of games that Powell won. However Championships are always remembered. My old coach told us that the regular season was just practice for the post season. The only thing that matters are the championships without them the team is just remembered as the best team never to win the district.
I'm a big Estill Co fan and after reading all of these post makes me think that Estill Co is a very good team better than we all have given them credit for. Powell had a really good team but i know how hard Lee Co plays and that they come to play ever day. I hope Lee Co has a good tournment and would love to see a all 56th dist champship game in Jackson. Good luck Neers and bobcats.
Norm Wrote:Finally, something we agree on, but I do think it is unacceptable. However, I just believe that many times we give all the blame to the head coach, and it isn't always deserved. Sometimes, the other team just comes out and beats you.

Oh there is no doubt that happens. So many times you are the most prepared team on the field and your players don't show up. Somedays it just happens. You will notice though that in the postseason, the absolute dominant programs do not let up in the post season. I think they understand that it is a mission to get to Applebees and they almost take it personal. PRP may have the easiest road to Applebees I have seen. They have the weakest region I have seen besides themself. The other region with St. X and all those teams. Could you imagine having to play the post season in that region, Ballard, Trinity, St. X, Eastern, etc. I would have a heart attack there, but I guess what I am trying to say is that in Eastern Kentucky, if you are the overwhelming favorite, which I know Powell was not, you should be able to come out and take care of business, and sometimes they just don't do it. It is an unbelievable dissapointment too, and it only hits you when it's over. Powell needs to find away to get back to the elite status of the 14th region. What do they have coming up in the next couple of years? Are they going to be down for awhile after this season?
Pages: 1 2