Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Better coach, Hillard howard, or Phillip Haywood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Two old school coaches, two top programa built by these men, five state titles between them, who would you take?
Haywood
Both GREAT coaches but I would take Hillard Howard but I MAY be bias.

Howard-3 State Titles and coached KY all-stars to victory over Tenn when Tenn dominated the series

Haywood-2 State Titles and counting

I think Coach Howard retired to early and if he would have coached at Pikeville as long as Haywood has at Belfry then he would have possibly won more titles. 5 state titles between the two of them shows how great both coaches are and they have both came close to many more.
haywood wins this 1
they're both great.... it's hard to choose lol... but i will pick howard
Who owns the head to head advantage???
CBS Sports Wrote:Who owns the head to head advantage???

Good question that I would like to know the answer to. I would say that Haywood holds a slight advantage but I am not sure. When Coach Howard was at Pikeville, Belfry was a AAA school compared to Pikeville at Class A so that would give the Pirates a nice advantage every season. These two teams used to really battle hard every year and the rivalary was the most intense rivalary that I knew of growing up.
Howard....the 87 team was incredible, not to trying to start anything, but i dont think that ethier of the past 2 belfry teams could have beat them
howard had more state runner up teams to if im not mistaken..... and probly had more region titles too
but I have to say Haywood is deffinatley a GREAT coach, and belfry is lucky to have him!
i would have to say howard but haywood is a good coach
i would have to say Howard
Howard is my vote also.

Nothing against Haywood because he is a great coach with vast knowledge for the game and is good at what he does.
i'd have to go with coach howard...its untelling where the panthers would be if he had stayed...but don't get me wrong coach haywood is still an amazing coach...
Both are great.. I cant choose one over the other.
Haywood
I gotta say Coach Haywood just because I know of the impact he has on the students and players at Belfry both on the field and in the classroom! But Coach Howard is top of the line also, can't go wrong with either.