Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mr. Baseball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Any indication of who will be crowned the best player in the state

I know Zach Cox and Daniel Webb were both preseason all-americans.... Have they lived up to the hype?
nope
bbaseball08 Wrote:nope

Well that is short and to the point
Good God! How have they not lived up to the hype? I think Zack Cox is a no-brainer for Mr. Baseball.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Good God! How have they not lived up to the hype? I think Zack Cox is a no-brainer for Mr. Baseball.

my thought as well
Maronde from Lex.Cath or Ross from LCA will get Mr. Baseball. Cox has not had the year offensively he had in 2007. Cox is a stud but PRP is hated by so many...not to say LexCath isn't. Maronde gets my vote.
Mr. Baseball Wrote:Maronde from Lex.Cath or Ross from LCA will get Mr. Baseball. Cox has not had the year offensively he had in 2007. Cox is a stud but PRP is hated by so many...not to say LexCath isn't. Maronde gets my vote.

The last I heard in a newspaper article from the Courier Journal Cox was hitting somewhere in the range of .560. How in the world, with the teams they play and the pitching he sees on a daily basis, is that having a good offensive year?
There are certainly some candidates that stand out for Mr. Baseball, such as Lex Cath's Nick Maronde, PRP's Zach Osborne and Zach Cox, LCA's Robbie Ross, Dunbar's Chad Richie, among others. Since 2000, 6 of the 8 Kentucky Mr. Baseball winners have been pitchers (2001-Jeremy Sowers, 2003-Josh Ellis, 2005-Chaz Roe, 2006-Nathan Adcock), so if I were to make some sort of prediction, I would go with a pitcher. Maronde and Ross are arguably the top two pitchers in the state. It should be interesting to see who wins the award.
**I meant to say 4 of the last 8, and 10 of the total 19 Mr. Baseball winners were pitchers.
Cox's offensive numbers are down...last year 10HR this year 3HR...his RBI are down by close to 20. Average at 560? Not sure but he even says he is not having the year he did last season. A great competitor who hopefully won't stick it to UK or UofL.
Mr. Baseball Wrote:Cox's offensive numbers are down...last year 10HR this year 3HR...his RBI are down by close to 20. Average at 560? Not sure but he even says he is not having the year he did last season. A great competitor who hopefully won't stick it to UK or UofL.

He will stick it to them, and he will most likely be in the league before too long. He is hitting that, and why do you think his numbers are down? What you fell too mention is the fact that is At-bats are down as well, and that is because he has been walked a lot more in crucial situations. Nobody is going to pitch to him if there is a base empty. I would say he has only seen limited amount of actually good pitches this year. I don't blam everybody for not wanting to pitch to him, but once he gets to Arkansas everybody will see how good he is. They will not walk him every time he gets up and he will probably be a first team all SEC next year as well. He is a beast!
I i think that the Osbourne kid from PRP will get it.
THUGLIFE#1 Wrote:I i think that the Osbourne kid from PRP will get it.

no way no how
StrikeoutKing Wrote:There are certainly some candidates that stand out for Mr. Baseball, such as Lex Cath's Nick Maronde, PRP's Zach Osborne and Zach Cox, LCA's Robbie Ross, Dunbar's Chad Richie, among others. Since 2000, 6 of the 8 Kentucky Mr. Baseball winners have been pitchers (2001-Jeremy Sowers, 2003-Josh Ellis, 2005-Chaz Roe, 2006-Nathan Adcock), so if I were to make some sort of prediction, I would go with a pitcher. Maronde and Ross are arguably the top two pitchers in the state. It should be interesting to see who wins the award.

Cox is probably 3rd and a hitter
StrikeoutKing Wrote:There are certainly some candidates that stand out for Mr. Baseball, such as Lex Cath's Nick Maronde, PRP's Zach Osborne and Zach Cox, LCA's Robbie Ross, Dunbar's Chad Richie, among others. Since 2000, 6 of the 8 Kentucky Mr. Baseball winners have been pitchers (2001-Jeremy Sowers, 2003-Josh Ellis, 2005-Chaz Roe, 2006-Nathan Adcock), so if I were to make some sort of prediction, I would go with a pitcher. Maronde and Ross are arguably the top two pitchers in the state. It should be interesting to see who wins the award.

The only way one of those pitchers will make it is if they take their team to a state championship. I still think Cox will get it. Not only is he the best hitter in the state, he is also one of the top 3 pitchers as well. This should be a no-brainer to me.
Bosox Fan Wrote:no way no how

or maybe Zack Cox from PRP, or Robbie Ross. Sound beter?lol
Aren't the pitchers from Lex Cath and Lex Christian two of the top lefty's in the nation?
bulldog42 Wrote:Aren't the pitchers from Lex Cath and Lex Christian two of the top lefty's in the nation?

They are on a national scale as far as Top 100 prospects or something like that, but Zack Cox is above them on that list as well. The pitchers are premier pitchers, however, if they don't lead their team to state title then I don't see them getting it. If that was the case then the kid from Heath that is touching triple dougits would be considered as well. If PRP ends up winning the state title this, which they very well should, then I would bet on Cox getting it over the two pitchers from Lexington.
THUGLIFE#1 Wrote:or maybe Zack Cox from PRP, or Robbie Ross. Sound beter?lol

Yes lol... I have seen both of them (Cox and Osborne) play and Cox is head and shoulders the better player the only tool that Osborne has better then Cox is the glove (maybe speed I really do not know on that)
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:The only way one of those pitchers will make it is if they take their team to a state championship. I still think Cox will get it. Not only is he the best hitter in the state, he is also one of the top 3 pitchers as well. This should be a no-brainer to me.
I don't know if that is true. Only 2 Mr. Baseball winners have ever led their respective team to a state title the same year they won the award (Scott Downs - 1994 (PRP) & Josh Ellis - 2003 (Dunbar). Similar to basketball I think the award goes to the best player in the state, not the best player on the best team. For example, last season, Ben Revere of Lexington Catholic won the award and the Knights didn't even make the state tournament. Here is how the teams of the Mr. baseball winners (since 1998) faired in the season(s) in which they had a Mr. Baseball:

2007 - Lexington Catholic (Ben Revere): Regional Finals (32-5 record)
2006 - North Hardin (Nathan Adcock): Semi-State Round (31-10)
2005 - Lafayette (Chaz Roe): 1st Round Regional (23-7)
2004 - Henry Clay (Collin Cowgill): 1st Round District (27-5)
2003 - Dunbar (Josh Ellis): State Champions! (41-4)
2002 - Pleasure Ridge Park (Brad Corley): Regional Finals (29-4)
2001 - Ballard (Jeremy Sowers): State Championship (n/a)
2000 - Ballard (Spencer Graeter): State Championship (n/a)
1999 - Franklin-Simpson (Joe Blanton): State Semi-Finals (n/a)
1998 - Lafayette (Austin Kearns): Semi-State Round (n/a)

Although it helps to play for a team to have a high level of success, it doesn't really hurt you if you don't. As you can see, only one player in last 10 years (and 2 since 1989) have ever won a State Championship and Mr. Baseball in the same year. There only a handful of players who stick out this year as a lot of you have mentioned, but if Maronde and Ross keep pitching the way they have been all season long, I would not be suprised to see one of them take home the award at season's end...regardless of how Christian or Catholic finish the season!
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I don't know if that is true. Only 2 Mr. Baseball winners have ever led their respective team to a state title the same year they won the award (Scott Downs - 1994 (PRP) & Josh Ellis - 2003 (Dunbar). Similar to basketball I think the award goes to the best player in the state, not the best player on the best team. For example, last season, Ben Revere of Lexington Catholic won the award and the Knights didn't even make the state tournament. Here is how the teams of the Mr. baseball winners (since 1998) faired in the season(s) in which they had a Mr. Baseball:

2007 - Lexington Catholic (Ben Revere): Regional Finals (32-5 record)
2006 - North Hardin (Nathan Adcock): Semi-State Round (31-10)
2005 - Lafayette (Chaz Roe): 1st Round Regional (23-7)
2004 - Henry Clay (Collin Cowgill): 1st Round District (27-5)
2003 - Dunbar (Josh Ellis): State Champions! (41-4)
2002 - Pleasure Ridge Park (Brad Corley): Regional Finals (29-4)
2001 - Ballard (Jeremy Sowers): State Championship (n/a)
2000 - Ballard (Spencer Graeter): State Championship (n/a)
1999 - Franklin-Simpson (Joe Blanton): State Semi-Finals (n/a)
1998 - Lafayette (Austin Kearns): Semi-State Round (n/a)

Although it helps to play for a team to have a high level of success, it doesn't really hurt you if you don't. As you can see, only one player in last 10 years (and 2 since 1989) have ever won a State Championship and Mr. Baseball in the same year. There only a handful of players who stick out this year as a lot of you have mentioned, but if Maronde and Ross keep pitching the way they have been all season long, I would not be suprised to see one of them take home the award at season's end...regardless of how Christian or Catholic finish the season!

Your not getting my point. The point of what I said about going deep in the season is based on the fact that these pitchers are so similar. If they chose to give it to one of these pitchers then I think they will look at how far their team went. That will be a good deciding factor in which one of those pitchers should stand out. If one of those guys was overwhelmingly better than the other it would be different, but I think since they are so close it will come down to how far they go.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Your not getting my point. The point of what I said about going deep in the season is based on the fact that these pitchers are so similar. If they chose to give it to one of these pitchers then I think they will look at how far their team went. That will be a good deciding factor in which one of those pitchers should stand out. If one of those guys was overwhelmingly better than the other it would be different, but I think since they are so close it will come down to how far they go.
I see what you're saying. I misunderstood what you were saying. But now that I get your point, I agree. Both Maronde and Ross are head and shoulders above the other pitchers in the state (maybe except for Cox, who IMO, is still behind them). I do agree if it comes down to those (which I think it's their's to lose), it will be a factor as to who goes further, especially since they're in the same district/region.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I see what you're saying. I misunderstood what you were saying. But now that I get your point, I agree. Both Maronde and Ross are head and shoulders above the other pitchers in the state (maybe except for Cox, who IMO, is still behind them). I do agree if it comes down to those (which I think it's their's to lose), it will be a factor as to who goes further, especially since they're in the same district/region.

Yea I agree with you. I still think Cox will get, mainly just on his whole career not just this season, but if it comes down to those pitchers then I think that will determine the winner.
Ross beat Maronde earlier in the season 2-1. Catholic then beat Christian 3-2 in 11 innings and then knocked LCA out of post season play by defeating them in the first round of the distrit tournament. I'm not sure if Maronde and Ross met each other after that first meeting, but I think in order for Ross to win the award, his stats will have to be pretty unbelievable during the regular season. But I do believe Cox is the favorite, because he pitches, plays the field, and hits.
Bosox Fan Wrote:Yes lol... I have seen both of them (Cox and Osborne) play and Cox is head and shoulders the better player the only tool that Osborne has better then Cox is the glove (maybe speed I really do not know on that)
I heard somewhere that Cox was clocked around 91-93 so I'd say that's hard to beat.
What about Webb from Heath? I believe he's higher on Baseball America's list than Cox, Maronde, and Ross.
Robbie Ross (Lexington Christian) was named Baseball America pre-season First Team All-American, Daniel Webb (Heath) was named Second Team All-American, and Nick Maronde (Lexington Catholic) and Zach Cox (Pleasure Ridge Park) were both named as Third Team members. Maronde, Ross, and Webb were named to their respected teams as pitchers while Cox was named as a third baseman.
Here is the link:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/hig...65672.html

It also says Webb and Ross have committed to play at UK (along with a pitcher from Indiana), Maronde to Florida, and Cox to Arkansas? Did Cox commit and then change his mind? I thought he was going to Tennessee?
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Here is the link:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/hig...65672.html

It also says Webb and Ross have committed to play at UK (along with a pitcher from Indiana), Maronde to Florida, and Cox to Arkansas? Did Cox commit and then change his mind? I thought he was going to Tennessee?

No Cox committed early to Arkansas. The one you are thinking of is Zach Osborne. He is going to Tennessee. He was the one who played with Valley Sports when they won the Little League World Series.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:No Cox committed early to Arkansas. The one you are thinking of is Zach Osborne. He is going to Tennessee. He was the one who played with Valley Sports when they won the Little League World Series.
Okay. I thought it went something like that. Didn't they both play for Valley Sports? I know Osborne was the #2 pitcher behind Aaron Alvey. Wasn't Cox one of the infielders?
Pages: 1 2