Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New playing surface Russell?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Any news on the new playing surface for Ivan McGlone Field? Have they started working on it yet? Just curious
Not working yet , the grass is about 12-18 inches high in the high spots and well,,,,,,dirt in the rest. No work on the field yet.I guess that they are waiting til school is out to get it done. Less people around and less chance of people interferring with development.
THEY CUT THE GRASS !!!!
I heard yesterday that they are starting on the field as soon as school is out. The maroon and White game will be played on the JFL field this year.
Did they ever come up with the funds to bring in sod? Or are they going to seed it?
I heard that they are getting SOD and someone said the price at $300,000. I dont know if it is true but I heard that yesteday. Like I said I dont know how true it is (the price) but I heard that they are getting sod with bermuda grass, taking out the hump on the field and leveling everything out. I just hope that it is nice when they get finished.
I wish we could play at Russell.
UPDATE !!!
No SOD.. just sprigging new Bermuda grass.. found out last night at a baseball game.
Wow thats kind of depressing I was hoping for sod.. is it the same price? I figured our school wouldn't want to pay that much for a new Football field eventhough football makes the greatest income and draws the most fans of any sports. i think at least we could get a new football field. its been a dust bowl followed by playing on concrete practically its kind of old playing on that surface. You get what you pay for i would't be suprised if the new bermuda seed is cheeper than the sod.
RedDevil_TE Wrote:Wow thats kind of depressing I was hoping for sod.. is it the same price? I figured our school wouldn't want to pay that much for a new Football field eventhough football makes the greatest income and draws the most fans of any sports. i think at least we could get a new football field. its been a dust bowl followed by playing on concrete practically its kind of old playing on that surface. You get what you pay for i would't be suprised if the new bermuda seed is cheeper than the sod.

It is cheaper than the sod but it is not seed, and if it is done right it is just as good. They will be leveling the field, taking all of the topsoil and removing the crown. New drainage, new soil, new grass. Sod is great if you need it done quickly. They are starting as soon as school is out and it will have the entire summer to take root and grow in. It is not cheap. You should be thankful that your school is going to this expense.

The school system has taken actions in the past to improve the surface. Lets hope this takes care of it for a long time to come.
If it is done right,it will be good as new sod at the fraction of the cost.
Okay, but the problem is that we need PROFESSIONALS to do it all. Not the School Systems maintnence crew.
From what I understand is that the guy who takes care of the golf course at the Country Club is doing the work and will be taking care of it. He offered to do it and take care of it too. I would think that it will be very nice..
BUT I also heard that a game or 2 will be played on the JFL field.At least the Maroon/White game will be there until the field is ready.
Its in good hands. There is no problem.
That's very comforting... how insanly packed would the JFL field be if we played a Friday night there!!! WOOOOW that would be insane and i would absolutely love it.. i bet the atmosphere would be intense and amazing!! im all for it!
It would look like a Gladitorial Ring and yes it would be great!!!!!!!!!
It would be just like old VIPPERMAN Stadium, down in Belfry, hillside on one side, flat on the other.
RedDevil_TE Wrote:That's very comforting... how insanly packed would the JFL field be if we played a Friday night there!!! WOOOOW that would be insane and i would absolutely love it.. i bet the atmosphere would be intense and amazing!! im all for it!
It'll be like playing at Raceland only you'll have a whole field!
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:It would look like a Gladitorial Ring and yes it would be great!!!!!!!!!
It would be just like old VIPPERMAN Stadium, down in Belfry, hillside on one side, flat on the other.

does anybody have pics of the fields at Russell?
the JFL site is down but here is the link to the high school
http://www.russell-ind.k12.ky.us/reddevi...te2007.htm
they are taking grass from our field to the soccer field as i type..
They could sell it as a souvenier from the old field to raise money for the new field.
Just a thought. To own a piece of history, a piece of Ivan mcGlone field.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:They could sell it as a souvenier from the old field to raise money for the new field.
Just a thought. To own a piece of history, a piece of Ivan mcGlone field.
I think I'll just go get one!
The football team makes so much money for the athletic progams . Whats the problem?
Devil09 Wrote:The football team makes so much money for the athletic progams . Whats the problem?
Didn't know there was one...............
Yes, the football program makes so much money..but the thing i dont understand is that they take a portion of the FOOTBALL TEAMS money and splits it up and gives it to all the other sports teams.
equal spending to all programs no matter what the income. We could get turf if someone made a donation indicated ONLY FOR A NEW FOOTBALL FIELD.
Then you can use the money for a new football field. Turf would allow for more programs to use the field. Football, all high school games, football middle school , and all JFL games. SOCCER could be played there also. ALL SOCCER there instead of being played at the intermediate school. Passing leagues, semi-pro teams could be located in the area. I know alot of men who would love to play and have a place to do it. All procedes go toward the high school..!!!!!!
I'll bet if coach Ivan got behind a fund raising drive they could get turf.Russell has a great football program and deserves a good surface to play on.Then like Devilologist suggested use it for other things as well.
Turf has positives and negatives but it is the age of football with multiple sports using the same field. Turf would be nice.. I just dont think Russell will ever get it unless they get a HUGE donation for it.
The new field turf is suppose to a lot better than the old type turf. i'd be afraid to guess the cost. Iwill do some research.
I saw where one of the people from a Cincinati school said a good turf would cost $700,000.
$700,000
Pages: 1 2