Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 18th Annual BMR Camp?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Could someone please explain why Bill M. Runyon is hosting a basketball camp after he announced his retirement. If he is stepping down, then step all the way down.
I think the new coach Matt Ratliff should have his name out there, its someone elses turn. Matt Ratliff should be the one heading this one, let everyone come out and meet the new coach.
Sure didnt expect BMR to have time for this "peddley stuff" when he could be out giving another interview.:Thumbs:
Its just a camp, don't really see any harm done with any of this, its good for the youngsters to come out and learn from one of the best coaches ever in Kentucky.
Point taken, but then when does Coach Ratliff take full rein over HIS team? This would be the perfect opportunity for the community and kids to get to know where the Tiger future is heading. Thats the problem with the program now, they cant quit living in their past.
22lb Bass Wrote:Could someone please explain why Bill M. Runyon is hosting a basketball camp after he announced his retirement. If he is stepping down, then step all the way down.
I think the new coach Matt Ratliff should have his name out there, its someone elses turn. Matt Ratliff should be the one heading this one, let everyone come out and meet the new coach.
Sure didnt expect BMR to have time for this "peddley stuff" when he could be out giving another interview.:Thumbs:
I can think of $everal reason$ a$ to why BMR want$ to have the camp for one more year. Get my drift?
Yes bball fan, we all get your drift and agree. Matt Ratliff doesnt stand a chance getting off to decent start with the powers that be still lurking around unable to completly give it up. Yes, his gravy train has gone walking...... get me?
22lb Bass Wrote:Point taken, but then when does Coach Ratliff take full rein over HIS team? This would be the perfect opportunity for the community and kids to get to know where the Tiger future is heading. Thats the problem with the program now, they cant quit living in their past.

Who said there was a problem with the program? Settle down, the new season hasn't started yet so how can you say he hasn't taken full rein. Just maybe this is a way that BMR intends to use to introduce this new coach to the community and kids!!!!! Wouldn't that be something, a smooth transition with a little boost from the retireing legend. Or maybe you would feel more at home if he just quit this year during pratice or left the school high and dry without a coach at all, maybe then you'd feel more at home? Silly me, smooth transitions are for grown ups!!!!
bball fan Wrote:I can think of $everal reason$ a$ to why BMR want$ to have the camp for one more year. Get my drift?
Exactly. There is lots of money to be made by the best and most well known high school basketball coaches. There is nothing unethical about Runyon continuing to have a basketball camp.

I also wouldn't think there would be a problem between Ratliff and Runyon. If I am not mistaken didn't Runyon stat publicly that Ratliff should be his successor?
pawsmom2 Wrote:Who said there was a problem with the program? Settle down, the new season hasn't started yet so how can you say he hasn't taken full rein. Just maybe this is a way that BMR intends to use to introduce this new coach to the community and kids!!!!! Wouldn't that be something, a smooth transition with a little boost from the retireing legend. Or maybe you would feel more at home if he just quit this year during pratice or left the school high and dry without a coach at all, maybe then you'd feel more at home? Silly me, smooth transitions are for grown ups!!!!

Excuse me?? Everyone thought that after the state tournament was over and after receiving all the awards that he could, giving all the interviews he could that he would, and publically handing the torch over that he would bow out gracefully. Throwing his name on this camp is a slap in the face to the new coach. Now, if that had happened like it SHOULD, then there would be a smooth transition. Instead, it looks as if some just cant give up the glory. This basketball camp is always the jump start to summer ball, perfect time for Coach Ratliff to take the reins, he is capable.
22lb Bass Wrote:Excuse me?? Everyone thought that after the state tournament was over and after receiving all the awards that he could, giving all the interviews he could that he would, and publically handing the torch over that he would bow out gracefully. Throwing his name on this camp is a slap in the face to the new coach. Now, if that had happened like it SHOULD, then there would be a smooth transition. Instead, it looks as if some just cant give up the glory. This basketball camp is always the jump start to summer ball, perfect time for Coach Ratliff to take the reins, he is capable.

You're excused! He received all the reward and gave the interviews he deserved, I say way to go!! Things are named after people all of the time, and the name isn't changed after they retire, move on, die, etc...... It's just a name maybe!? This is not a slap in a face, I see it as a show of support. He is capable and will do fine.

Good luck Tigers, our game against you was a class act. Nice kids and nobody acted like a thug. Good clean game. Thanks
pawsmom2 Wrote:Who said there was a problem with the program? Settle down, the new season hasn't started yet so how can you say he hasn't taken full rein. Just maybe this is a way that BMR intends to use to introduce this new coach to the community and kids!!!!! Wouldn't that be something, a smooth transition with a little boost from the retireing legend. Or maybe you would feel more at home if he just quit this year during pratice or left the school high and dry without a coach at all, maybe then you'd feel more at home? Silly me, smooth transitions are for grown ups!!!!
Is that not exactly what has happened several times over the years with the intent to get everyone to beg him to come back ? Smile
I think Matt Ratliff will do a fine job. Just give him a little time. Paintsville basketball will always be good. To much tradition for it not to be.
Can someone post dates and times of the camp? I would like to get my son in that camp.
22lb Bass Wrote:Could someone please explain why Bill M. Runyon is hosting a basketball camp after he announced his retirement. If he is stepping down, then step all the way down.

With coach BMR name the is sure to get more kid to show up.
pawsmom2 Wrote:You're excused! He received all the reward and gave the interviews he deserved, I say way to go!! Things are named after people all of the time, and the name isn't changed after they retire, move on, die, etc...... It's just a name maybe!? This is not a slap in a face, I see it as a show of support. He is capable and will do fine.

Good luck Tigers, our game against you was a class act. Nice kids and nobody acted like a thug. Good clean game. Thanks

BMR chose to retire, call it quits, bail out, hang the jersey or whatever. He has received all that is due him. His rein stopped in Lexington, and a good rein it was. IT IS OVER.

If he was wanting to show support, he would of let Coach Ratliff has his own camp, afterall, HE IS THE NEW COACH, and yes, it is a slap in the face. Geez, he has to start somewhere....where and when do you suggest?

I bet this, if the camp last 3 -4 hours a day, depending on the weather, BMR might be there 1 hr, about like it was when he was the head coach.
How soon we forget....The man has just stepped down. He hasn't died. He is a legend. He has every right to still have a camp. The school owes him that. Maybe he still loves to work with kids. Just on a different level. Come to Floyd Co. Bill Mike. You can have as many camps over here as you want. Bet you were patting him on the back when he recommend Rattliff. How soon we forget. He made Paintsville what it is. Get off his back.