Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Series Play for Regular Season District
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I heard today that the 52nd District, I believe, is going to series play during the regular season next year during district games. The setup will be as such:
Monday Team A vs Team B @ Team A
Tuesday Team A vs Team B @ Team B

This will be played every Monday and Tuesday of each week in April to decide a legit winner. In this way, one pitcher cannot dominate district play, but the best overall team should get the best seeds for the district tournament.

What are your thoughts/opinions on this setup?
BaseballMan Wrote:I heard today that the 52nd District, I believe, is going to series play during the regular season next year during district games. The setup will be as such:
Monday Team A vs Team B @ Team A
Tuesday Team A vs Team B @ Team B

This will be played every Monday and Tuesday of each week in April to decide a legit winner. In this way, one pitcher cannot dominate district play, but the best overall team should get the best seeds for the district tournament.

What are your thoughts/opinions on this setup?

Seems to be smart but it takes out the "Upset" card, so even though the best team will win(maybe) it does take away some of the excitement.... I like the old format better.
The only reason I would be against this is because it takes away from a lot of games you could schedule during the season outside of your region to help you later on. The best part of the season I think is to see how teams compete outside their region. If you do it like this than your weekend tournament are going to be a wash because you couldn't throw you best, and the later week games would be a wash because you couldn't throw your best. If it was just one game a week it might be a little better, but this way just will hinder you to be able to compete in any type of big tournaments during the year. The LIT and the Fayette Invitational are both big tournaments, and the best teams are usually invited to play. If you have to hold your best for a Monday and Tuesday than your not going to be able to compete in these tournaments.
I see your point. But it is only for 3 weeks in April. Then it would seem you'd have the last weekend of April and first two weekends of May for some nice tournament play. I'm still not sure what I think about it either, but it'll be interesting to keep an eye on to see how it works out.
BaseballMan Wrote:I see your point. But it is only for 3 weeks in April. Then it would seem you'd have the last weekend of April and first two weekends of May for some nice tournament play. I'm still not sure what I think about it either, but it'll be interesting to keep an eye on to see how it works out.

That's all fine and good but most of all the good tournaments are the first few weeks in April. They are just always during that period, due to May being a little late because nobody wants to use their best towards district time. The Fayette invitational is one of the only ones that is in May. I know there are a few more, but I am talking about the big tournaments, not the 4 team tournaments your local high schools host.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:That's all fine and good but most of all the good tournaments are the first few weeks in April. They are just always during that period, due to May being a little late because nobody wants to use their best towards district time. The Fayette invitational is one of the only ones that is in May. I know there are a few more, but I am talking about the big tournaments, not the 4 team tournaments your local high schools host.

That's very true. I guess that's a risk these teams will have to face. Maybe they can still schedule good competition in the 4 team tournaments. I suppose the main focus for this type of play would be for legitimate top contenders to win the district and enter region play in the post season, and not really worry about the big Lexington tournaments. Maybe some of these teams may play a big tournament during Spring Break or something. Could be just as effective as the Lexington/Louisville tournaments.
BaseballMan Wrote:That's very true. I guess that's a risk these teams will have to face. Maybe they can still schedule good competition in the 4 team tournaments. I suppose the main focus for this type of play would be for legitimate top contenders to win the district and enter region play in the post season, and not really worry about the big Lexington tournaments. Maybe some of these teams may play a big tournament during Spring Break or something. Could be just as effective as the Lexington/Louisville tournaments.

The spring break tournaments on the first thing on most schedules. It is usually within the first one or two weeks of the season. The competition is what they are after, and let's just face it, the 15th and 16th doesn't have a good region from top to bottom. For the most part they will not be good competitive games in which they can get something out of. Playing those teams in Louisville and Lexington is what makes you a good team. If you play the same ol cup cake teams around your area, no matter how good you are, you won't be use to playing good competition and will most likely hurt you come tournament time.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:The spring break tournaments on the first thing on most schedules. It is usually within the first one or two weeks of the season. The competition is what they are after, and let's just face it, the 15th and 16th doesn't have a good region from top to bottom. For the most part they will not be good competitive games in which they can get something out of. Playing those teams in Louisville and Lexington is what makes you a good team. If you play the same ol cup cake teams around your area, no matter how good you are, you won't be use to playing good competition and will most likely hurt you come tournament time.

I don't disagree with you. In retrospect though, the district games in series play would only take up 6-9 games at most.
  • Example: You win Monday and Tuesday and you don't have to play the 3rd game. Or you split and play a doubleheader on Tuesday to determine the seeding.
You will have 27-30 games on a 36-game season to schedule good competition and regional opponents. So this type of district play isn't taking away from level of competition.

A great example where this may benefit teams would be the district with Paintsville, Lawrence County, Johnson Central, and Sheldon Clark. The way that district is seeding now, one dominant pitcher could determine the highest seeds. Where if they played series play - which would only use up 3-6 more games in which they could replace them with some "local cup cake teams" This would give the best overall teams with the deepest pitching staffs the better seeds with a better chance at winning a region and the best chance at representing their region in the sectionals and state. What if Magoffin had a Shane Grimm/Scott Little/Chandler Shepherd type pitcher and beat every team in that district with him, but their 2nd pitcher was average at best. They'd be the #1 seed and advance to the region where they'd most likely be a one and done. Instead if they engaged in series play, the other teams would most likely expose their weakness, and degress them in seeding.

Just a thought. I'm actually starting to believe this may be a good trial idea.
BaseballMan Wrote:I don't disagree with you. In retrospect though, the district games in series play would only take up 6-9 games at most.
  • Example: You win Monday and Tuesday and you don't have to play the 3rd game. Or you split and play a doubleheader on Tuesday to determine the seeding.
You will have 27-30 games on a 36-game season to schedule good competition and regional opponents. So this type of district play isn't taking away from level of competition.

A great example where this may benefit teams would be the district with Paintsville, Lawrence County, Johnson Central, and Sheldon Clark. The way that district is seeding now, one dominant pitcher could determine the highest seeds. Where if they played series play - which would only use up 3-6 more games in which they could replace them with some "local cup cake teams" This would give the best overall teams with the deepest pitching staffs the better seeds with a better chance at winning a region and the best chance at representing their region in the sectionals and state. What if Magoffin had a Shane Grimm/Scott Little/Chandler Shepherd type pitcher and beat every team in that district with him, but their 2nd pitcher was average at best. They'd be the #1 seed and advance to the region where they'd most likely be a one and done. Instead if they engaged in series play, the other teams would most likely expose their weakness, and degress them in seeding.

Just a thought. I'm actually starting to believe this may be a good trial idea.

You have a good point with that. I guess the only thing I was getting at was the time in which they were going to be played would interferre with those tournaments. However, if you are good with your scheduling and get your mediocre teams out of the way during that time then it may work.