Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Paintsville 5 - Magoffin County 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
per KHSAA
*Magoffin is surprisingly strong this time of the season. They may pull an upset or two come tournament time.
MC played poor defense, That was the biggest difference in this game. Cyrus gave up 5 hits through 5 innings(I think) and three of those wre infield hits. He gave up 1 earned run, striking out 5 and walking 4. Not great, but not ad either. Paintsville played very well defensively. They are tired, and should be. They played 2 very tough games back to back on Sunday, and returned home around midnight.
Congrats to both teams and good luck the rest of the way!

Now....in the fifth, with 1 out and runners on first and second, MC hits a roped line drive at the second baseman, it looked as if he caught it and dropped it pulling it out of his glove trying to double off the kid at second(would have had him by 15 feet) but he flipped it to the SS who in turn threw to first as the hitter/runner quit running, you would think it was a double play no matter how the catch was viewed, right???
Nope...the home plate umpire said the ball was dropped intentionally, awarded PHS an out, but allowed the runners to return to their previous bases. He said that was the oldest trick in the book???
For the life of me...I can't figure out why someone would intentionally drop a ball, when they had an easy double play if they hang on to the ball???
It was just a blown call, made up call or what-ever. Is their anyone out there that can give a glimpse of explanation to this?
The Guru Wrote:MC played poor defense, That was the biggest difference in this game. Cyrus gave up 5 hits through 5 innings(I think) and three of those wre infield hits. He gave up 1 earned run, striking out 5 and walking 4. Not great, but not ad either. Paintsville played very well defensively. They are tired, and should be. They played 2 very tough games back to back on Sunday, and returned home around midnight.
Congrats to both teams and good luck the rest of the way!

Now....in the fifth, with 1 out and runners on first and second, MC hits a roped line drive at the second baseman, it looked as if he caught it and dropped it pulling it out of his glove trying to double off the kid at second(would have had him by 15 feet) but he flipped it to the SS who in turn threw to first as the hitter/runner quit running, you would think it was a double play no matter how the catch was viewed, right???
Nope...the home plate umpire said the ball was dropped intentionally, awarded PHS an out, but allowed the runners to return to their previous bases. He said that was the oldest trick in the book???
For the life of me...I can't figure out why someone would intentionally drop a ball, when they had an easy double play if they hang on to the ball???
It was just a blown call, made up call or what-ever. Is their anyone out there that can give a glimpse of explanation to this?

Yea I can. That umpire is an idiot. I have seen it called like that before though, and I didn't understand it the first time, but some umpires just like being seen so what can you do?
Yeah Magoffin made some errors...without the errors they had a great chance of winning.

Actually, Magoffin beats themselves by making little errors and leaving runners on the bases. I have not been impressed with Paintsville nor Johnson Central this year. Now, Magoffin has improved tremondously...You have to admit that! I agree with BaseballMan that the potential of anupset during tournament is very likely. The only team in this district that is practically unbeatable is Lawrence County.

Oh yeah...where was the mercy?

All in all it was a good game for both teams.
Good Game, Congrats Tigers
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Yea I can. That umpire is an idiot. I have seen it called like that before though, and I didn't understand it the first time, but some umpires just like being seen so what can you do?

i have watched that umpire several games........he is one of the most inconsistent umpires around. idiot bout sums it up....
Congrats Paintsville
Congrats again to the Tigers. You rock boys!!!!