Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville Teachers Chad Salyer and Jennifer Lockhart in Serious Accident
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pikeville Asst Athletic Director Chad Salyer was in a serious accident last night in Pikeville. Details are sketchy but reports are that it was a train/ vehicle collision and someone was flown out to UK hospital.
Wow. I hope Coach Salyer is alright! Prayers are with everyone.

Anything new would be great to hear.
Man in serious condition after train wreck in Pike Co.

An Eastern Kentucky man was in serious condition at University of Kentucky Hospital on Thursday following a train wreck in Pike County.
Chad Salyer, 32, was driving east on Vera Drive at a CSX railroad crossing in Pikeville about 10 p.m.
Wednesday when his 2007 Cadillac Escalade was struck by a train as he attempted to cross the tracks, Kentucky State Police said.
The train was traveling south.
Salyer was taken to Pikeville Medical Center then later airlifted to UK Hospital.

http://www.kentucky.com/779/story/392267.html
There is also an unconfirmed report that Jennifer Lockhart (a Pikeville teacher) was also involved in an accident and flown to UK last night.
Keep us updated with anything you hear Fox. 2 Great people. Hope they are both alright.
My thoughts and prayers are with both.
This is such a tragedy. My prayers go out to both families.
I work for the railroad and thats a bad area right there where he got hit. Ive had quite a few close calls there. The crossings are pretty much stacked on top of one another. In a strange twist of irony I just heard from a friend at work that the engineer on the trains wife teaches at Pikeville grade school. Knowing that guy like I do Im sure he did everything he could but at the same time there isnt much anyone can do in that situation. Just let this be a lesson to everyone. We dont have steering wheels on those trains so we cant swerve and miss you. We do have brakes but at 13,000 tons by the time we get stopped a mile down the road itll be way too late. Its not worth death or serious injury for the 5 minutes youll be held up by a train. Everyone please pray for the Panther community.
My prayers go out to all involved and their families.
My dad works for CSX and he works at Coal Run at 7:30 every night, so he would've been around there around that time. I haven't seen him since last night, because he gets home while I'm asleep, but as soon as I can talk to him and find out what happened, I'll let you all know. It's kinda scary to think my dad could've been there. It worries me. He has been on a train that has hit and killed someone before and he won't even talk about it.

My mom said she talked to him this morning for a few minutes and he didn't mention it. He would've been the only engineer at coal run at that time because the next shift doesn't come on until 11. But it could have been any train passing through. I'll get the word from dad and pass it on.
Were Lockhart and Salyer in the same car? None of the news reports mention anything about Lockhart being in the car, they just say that one man was injured and taken to the hospital.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Were Lockhart and Salyer in the same car? None of the news reports mention anything about Lockhart being in the car, they just say that one man was injured and taken to the hospital.

Yes, they were both in the Cadillac Escalade. This is confirmed by various family members. Not sure if they were coming from a school outing or what but apparently Jennifer was severly injured along with Chad. Jennifer has been out of her 2nd surgery for a few hours now and is resting in intensive care. She has been able to squeeze family member's hands and is showing signs of becoming alert. As far as Chad Ive not heard anything concerning his situation except that his injuries werent as severe as Jennifers.
Two Eastern Kentucky teachers are recovering tonight after their car collided with a train. It happened Thursday night at the Vera Drive railroad crossing in Pikeville. Now folks at Pikeville High School and the community are hoping for a speedy recovery. Investigators say it appears driver Chad Salyer tried to beat the train at the crossing, but didn't make it, and the train hit his SUV. Police say 32 year old Salyer and his passenger, Jennifer Lockhart, were seriously injured and taken to Pikeville Medical Center and later airlifted to the University of Kentucky Medical Center Lexington.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/18448484.html
They will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Well my dad didnt even know it happened. lol He was up in Johns Creek at the time.
My heart and prayers goes out to both families. I knew Jennifer real well, played softball with her for years. I didn't know Chad. But I hope both of them will recover from this tragic accident.

Please keep us informed if anyone hears anything. Let's all pray for them and their families.
Anyone heard anything new? I heard that Chad was about to get out the hospital and that Jennifer was doing better as well. Any truth to this?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Anyone heard anything new? I heard that Chad was about to get out the hospital and that Jennifer was doing better as well. Any truth to this?

I have heard that Jennifer is doing better and that Coach Salyer is either out of the hospital or close to being allowed to go home.
Interesting twist to this story now...

http://www.news-expressky.com/articles/2...01suit.txt

Oh well. At least it is good to hear that both are doing better now.
More Cowbell Wrote:Interesting twist to this story now...

http://www.news-expressky.com/articles/2...01suit.txt

Oh well. At least it is good to hear that both are doing better now.

That is definitely interesting to hear.

"Authorities have not made any statements about why Salyer’s vehicle was on the tracks when the train came through the intersection."

^I think this will have something to do with the outcome. I mean, if his wheel got stuck or something, who knows.
Has anyone heard anything from Jennifer in the past few days? i had heard that salyer was out of the hospital.
SVLadiesFan Wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Jennifer in the past few days? i had heard that salyer was out of the hospital.

I heard a couple days ago that they were sending her home.
As of Monday she was still in the hospital....she may be out. I'll find something out and post.
Chad Salyers white Escalade was setting across from my house in the street. I wasnt sure why it was there until i heard and saw police cars and paramedics at the scene. The car was wayyyy down in the ditch, i dont see how they got it out. They tried to sue because of the stacked up railroad ties blocking their view
I drove by the site of the accident a few days ago and there are ties stacked several feet high...but as of now I still haven't heard any updates on Mrs. Lockhart, I've asked a few people and they don't know yet either. If anyone has any information please keep us informed.
IRISH4 Wrote:I drove by the site of the accident a few days ago and there are ties stacked several feet high...but as of now I still haven't heard any updates on Mrs. Lockhart, I've asked a few people and they don't know yet either. If anyone has any information please keep us informed.

I heard she was back home in Pikeville.
IRISH4 Wrote:I drove by the site of the accident a few days ago and there are ties stacked several feet high...but as of now I still haven't heard any updates on Mrs. Lockhart, I've asked a few people and they don't know yet either. If anyone has any information please keep us informed.

Blocking the view is such a stupid excuse. Not to mention an Escalade sits up high anyways. Those things may have been stacked, but a train is not exactly hard to see. The lights from a train are very visible. I mean, anyone paying half attention will see a train coming there.
Brittany0121 Wrote:Blocking the view is such a stupid excuse. Not to mention an Escalade sits up high anyways. Those things may have been stacked, but a train is not exactly hard to see. The lights from a train are very visible. I mean, anyone paying half attention will see a train coming there. .

No one ( I ) said that it was the reason, that's what the law suit stated as far as being the reason for the accident....and there were ties stacked which might give the case some life. As for the assumption, this isn't the place for that....just concerned about the health of a woman that almost lost her life.