Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bengals Select Keith Rivers in 1st round, Jerome Simpson in 2nd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any thoughts or comments.........
I think it is a good pick. They need all the defensive help they can get.
Yeah Rivers should be a good solid addition to a depleted Cincinnati defense. Hope they can make some more good picks.
:yikes: Well, the my Bungles just dropped the ball when they had a chance at picking Malcolm Kelly, DeSean Jackson or Limas Sweed they picked Jerome Simpson from Coastal Carolina who was projected to be a 4th rounder, Oh well typical Bengals.......... :yikes:
I HATE MIKE BROWN!! :flame: :eek:

It's days like today that make me want to change my favorite team to ANYBODY besides the Bengals. This team could not have flopped on their face more than they just did with their two picks today.

In the first round, everyone knew the Bengals wanted Sedrick Ellis, to fill the most gaping hole on the team, a run-stuffing defensive tackle. Everyone (well, apparently everyone except Cincy's front office) also knew that New Orleans wanted him just as bad. So what do the Bengals do? Sit around with their heads stuck up their butts while the Saints swoop in and steal him right from underneath them, by trading for the #7 pick. Cincinnati could have ensured that they would get Ellis by making that very same trade with New England (exchange first-rounders plus give up a third-rounder), which certainly would have been accepted by N.E. since the Bengals' picks in those rounds were higher than the Saints'. But, no they let themselves get punked, then try to save face by saying that they had Ellis and Rivers rated equally on their boards. BULL CRAP. Don't get me wrong, Rivers will probably be a solid pro, and the Bengals could use some depth at linebacker. But they needed an impact player at DT worst of all. So...

In the second round, a run on receivers takes place, and by the time Cincy picks again, only three DT's have gone off the board, leaving both the 4th and 5th best tackles still out there (Laws from Notre Dame and Sims from Auburn). So even though they whiffed in the first round, here they have a golden opportunity to still add a proven run-stuffer to their sorry defense. So what do they do? That's right, draft another player for the offense! Apparently this team feels another year of John Thornton starting on the d-line will be what's best, or perhaps they've discovered a mystical tree on which stud defensive tackles grow. That's really the only explanation that makes sense. And the topper is that not only do they draft offense, they reach for a guy who many projections had going in the fourth round, and almost assuredly would still be there when they pick again in the third round tomorrow. Sad

I don't know what I'm going to do about this sorry excuse for a franchise, I really don't. I need to find a couch to hit or something...
Well, I've cooled off a little bit now. Where's BFritz at tonight? I thought sure he'd have something to say about this debacle...
More Cowbell Wrote:Well, I've cooled off a little bit now. Where's BFritz at tonight? I thought sure he'd have something to say about this debacle...

He might be in the same shape you were with your first post, lol.
More Cowbell Wrote:I HATE MIKE BROWN!! :flame: :eek:

It's days like today that make me want to change my favorite team to ANYBODY besides the Bengals. This team could not have flopped on their face more than they just did with their two picks today.

In the first round, everyone knew the Bengals wanted Sedrick Ellis, to fill the most gaping hole on the team, a run-stuffing defensive tackle. Everyone (well, apparently everyone except Cincy's front office) also knew that New Orleans wanted him just as bad. So what do the Bengals do? Sit around with their heads stuck up their butts while the Saints swoop in and steal him right from underneath them, by trading for the #7 pick. Cincinnati could have ensured that they would get Ellis by making that very same trade with New England (exchange first-rounders plus give up a third-rounder), which certainly would have been accepted by N.E. since the Bengals' picks in those rounds were higher than the Saints'. But, no they let themselves get punked, then try to save face by saying that they had Ellis and Rivers rated equally on their boards. BULL CRAP. Don't get me wrong, Rivers will probably be a solid pro, and the Bengals could use some depth at linebacker. But they needed an impact player at DT worst of all. So...

In the second round, a run on receivers takes place, and by the time Cincy picks again, only three DT's have gone off the board, leaving both the 4th and 5th best tackles still out there (Laws from Notre Dame and Sims from Auburn). So even though they whiffed in the first round, here they have a golden opportunity to still add a proven run-stuffer to their sorry defense. So what do they do? That's right, draft another player for the offense! Apparently this team feels another year of John Thornton starting on the d-line will be what's best, or perhaps they've discovered a mystical tree on which stud defensive tackles grow. That's really the only explanation that makes sense. And the topper is that not only do they draft offense, they reach for a guy who many projections had going in the fourth round, and almost assuredly would still be there when they pick again in the third round tomorrow. Sad

I don't know what I'm going to do about this sorry excuse for a franchise, I really don't. I need to find a couch to hit or something...

More Cowbell Wrote:Well, I've cooled off a little bit now. Where's BFritz at tonight? I thought sure he'd have something to say about this debacle...

I didn't even read past the first sentence in that rant because it was all the info that I needed. Ellis is a pass rushing DT, but isn't overly stout against the run- those DTs can be picked up in the third through fifth. Do some research.

I'm in no shape to post right now, but I'll try to add this:

Rivers was the only player who was worthy of the number 9 pick, and Thurman, Brooks, Rivers=dirty, there's no way around it, they could be the top linebacking squad in the NFL- name some that will be better?

Malcom Kelly and Limas Sweed were the only receivers who coud have been called better than Simpson that were better, which both are injury prone- do you want another Chris Perry?

We need a third receiver, which some say Simpson might have been a bit early (and we may have been able to get him in three), but if we don't take him, we take a DT that we could have taken in three or four, so people would be saying the same tings that they are now but about a different position.

I wasn't happy about the Simpson pick at first, but look at my facts and then present arguments.
BFritz Wrote:I didn't even read past the first sentence in that rant because it was all the info that I needed. Ellis is a pass rushing DT, but isn't overly stout against the run- those DTs can be picked up in the third through fifth. Do some research.

I'm in no shape to post right now, but I'll try to add this:

Rivers was the only player who was worthy of the number 9 pick, and Thurman, Brooks, Rivers=dirty, there's no way around it, they could be the top linebacking squad in the NFL- name some that will be better?

Malcom Kelly and Limas Sweed were the only receivers who coud have been called better than Simpson that were better, which both are injury prone- do you want another Chris Perry?

We need a third receiver, which some say Simpson might have been a bit early (and we may have been able to get him in three), but if we don't take him, we take a DT that we could have taken in three or four, so people would be saying the same tings that they are now but about a different position.

I wasn't happy about the Simpson pick at first, but look at my facts and then present arguments.

First off, there's no need to get defensive, I wasn't calling you out. I just remembered that we had some good discussions about the Bengals' draft last year, and I was hoping you'd be on here to give your opinions. Nothing more.

Now, back to discussing the Bengals' first day picks. I will agree with you that when the Bengals picked, Keith Rivers was the best player available and was the only guy who made sense for them to take at #9. And he will be a solid player for them for years to come. But did the Bengals need him more than they needed Sedrick Ellis? Absolutely not, and here's why: Cincy needed a playmaker at DT in the worst possible way.

The Bengals did need depth at linebacker, but in my mind they already had two game-changers at that position in Brooks and Thurman, two guys who have All-Pro potential. I would have been content with Rashad Jeanty manning the other spot if need be, or with picking up a LB in a later round of the draft. But they absolutely needed a stud at DT, someone who strikes fear into the opponents. Domata Peko is a nice player, someone who is a solid starter, but he will never be a game-changer. And really, none of the other holdovers at DT even deserve to be starting. So the need on this team was for a DT, hands down, and Sedrick Ellis would have filled that need. I guarantee they would have picked him ahead of Rivers had he been available at #9, but they sat on their hands and let New Orleans make them look silly.

As for the second round pick, I can only assume that the team has already made the decision to trade Chad Johnson after June 1, otherwise this pick makes even less sense. Still, even if that is the case, for the second year in a row the front office has ignored more pressing needs on defense and gone with offense in the second round. I wasn't happy about the choice of Kenny Irons last year, and I'm not happy about this either. I still would have been upset no matter which WR was chosen, offense should have been left for the second day.

Finally, I will say that I was pleased with the second-day selections. The team finally addressed the DT spot in the third round with Auburn's Pat Sims, who fortunately fell into their laps. He will not be the dominant force Dorsey or Ellis will be, but he should be a solid player and hopefully a starter alongside Peko next year. Then, I was stunned that Andre Caldwell fell all the way down to them at the end of the third round, what a stroke of luck. He will be a good third receiver, and hopefully will finally give them an explosive return man. The remaining picks all seem like decent prospects, and Mario Urrutia in the seventh round could be a steal at WR.

All in all, after a disappointing Day 1, but a strong Day 2, I give the Bengals' draft a solid B.
More Cowbell Wrote:First off, there's no need to get defensive, I wasn't calling you out. I just remembered that we had some good discussions about the Bengals' draft last year, and I was hoping you'd be on here to give your opinions. Nothing more.

Now, back to discussing the Bengals' first day picks. I will agree with you that when the Bengals picked, Keith Rivers was the best player available and was the only guy who made sense for them to take at #9. And he will be a solid player for them for years to come. But did the Bengals need him more than they needed Sedrick Ellis? Absolutely not, and here's why: Cincy needed a playmaker at DT in the worst possible way.

The Bengals did need depth at linebacker, but in my mind they already had two game-changers at that position in Brooks and Thurman, two guys who have All-Pro potential. I would have been content with Rashad Jeanty manning the other spot if need be, or with picking up a LB in a later round of the draft. But they absolutely needed a stud at DT, someone who strikes fear into the opponents. Domata Peko is a nice player, someone who is a solid starter, but he will never be a game-changer. And really, none of the other holdovers at DT even deserve to be starting. So the need on this team was for a DT, hands down, and Sedrick Ellis would have filled that need. I guarantee they would have picked him ahead of Rivers had he been available at #9, but they sat on their hands and let New Orleans make them look silly.

As for the second round pick, I can only assume that the team has already made the decision to trade Chad Johnson after June 1, otherwise this pick makes even less sense. Still, even if that is the case, for the second year in a row the front office has ignored more pressing needs on defense and gone with offense in the second round. I wasn't happy about the choice of Kenny Irons last year, and I'm not happy about this either. I still would have been upset no matter which WR was chosen, offense should have been left for the second day.

Finally, I will say that I was pleased with the second-day selections. The team finally addressed the DT spot in the third round with Auburn's Pat Sims, who fortunately fell into their laps. He will not be the dominant force Dorsey or Ellis will be, but he should be a solid player and hopefully a starter alongside Peko next year. Then, I was stunned that Andre Caldwell fell all the way down to them at the end of the third round, what a stroke of luck. He will be a good third receiver, and hopefully will finally give them an explosive return man. The remaining picks all seem like decent prospects, and Mario Urrutia in the seventh round could be a steal at WR.

All in all, after a disappointing Day 1, but a strong Day 2, I give the Bengals' draft a solid B.

Fair enough, no offense taken.

Ellis might have been a playmaker by being able to rush the passer from the D tackle position, but we need a run stopper at D tackle who can be stout against the run, not a pass rusher. The pass rushing will be left to Geathers (10.5 sacks from D-end two years ago), Odom (8 sacks last year, 29 QB pressures, and 7 passes deflected), and Zimmer being aggressive and bringing pressurre by blitzing and stunts. However, that leaves the need for a run defense, which Ellis isn't stout at the point of attack, so taking Sims and Shirley will improve our run D by throwing people around and pushing people into the backfield, which will also keep blockers off our backers.

Even if we don't trade Chad, we could still use an upgrade at our number 3 receiver, so that could explain that. I agree defense was a need that should have been addressed in the second, but there weren't any defensive tackles that I think justified a second round pick, and Simpson probably wouldn't have fallen that deep to us in the third.

I need to type a final to graduate, but I'll reply more later; let me know what you think about all that.
I sure hope that Rivers has a great season this year that we can compare to Odell Thurman's rookie season..........Wouldn't that be nice !!!! :fedup: Only with Mike Browns management of this franchise........JMO....
BFritz Wrote:Fair enough, no offense taken.

Ellis might have been a playmaker by being able to rush the passer from the D tackle position, but we need a run stopper at D tackle who can be stout against the run, not a pass rusher. The pass rushing will be left to Geathers (10.5 sacks from D-end two years ago), Odom (8 sacks last year, 29 QB pressures, and 7 passes deflected), and Zimmer being aggressive and bringing pressurre by blitzing and stunts. However, that leaves the need for a run defense, which Ellis isn't stout at the point of attack, so taking Sims and Shirley will improve our run D by throwing people around and pushing people into the backfield, which will also keep blockers off our backers.

Even if we don't trade Chad, we could still use an upgrade at our number 3 receiver, so that could explain that. I agree defense was a need that should have been addressed in the second, but there weren't any defensive tackles that I think justified a second round pick, and Simpson probably wouldn't have fallen that deep to us in the third.

I need to type a final to graduate, but I'll reply more later; let me know what you think about all that.

I guess if Sims ends up being a playmaker, it will make the entire draft look that much better. Then, we would have the stud LB corps as well as a solid pair of DT's. However, that all hinges on Sims' development, which is no sure thing. Remember, he only started 13 games in his college career, which means that we don't know exactly how he will adjust to the NFL. I also read the report on ESPN that said Sims tends to tire out easily, so apparently he needs to get in better shape. After all, there's a reason that the fifth DT taken in the draft fell all the way into the third round, and that's because there are valid concerns about him. Still, I was happy with his selection, and hopefully he will make us all forget about New Orleans swiping Ellis out from underneath us on Saturday.

I am also glad they didn't take a DE early. What with Geathers and Odom on board, that position should already be a major upgrade from last year. Same with RB, we have Rudi (who is apparently healthy), Perry (also apparently healthy), Watson, Dorsey, and hopefully Irons ready to contribute. That's already more guys than spots, so we really didn't need a RB.

As for Simpson, most of the "experts" are saying that he will make or break this draft. If he becomes a star, the Bengals look like geniuses, and if he flops they look like idiots. To me, though, I have high expectations for Caldwell and Urrutia that they will be able to contribute from the get-go.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, everything's cool. Good luck on your final.

Wonder where Bengal Cat is? Thought we'd hear from him too.