Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Religious Discussion Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Due to the overwhelming amount of religious-topic threads that have wandered off-topic, this thread has been created to allow all religious conversation without risk of it being closed.

The other religious threads that we have had were all about one specific thing and, as I said, they got off topic. Here you can discuss anything about religion. You can follow up on old discussions, or create new ones.

All I ask is that you don't purposely throw the thread off topic. Read the posts and if you have something to contribute to the current topic in the thread, then do so.

While this thread is allowing a broad range of topics all within one place and the topics of the thread are subject to change throughout time, it does not mean that this thread will tolerate any rule violations. Any personal attacks or false information will be handled according to the rules we have already established here at BGR.

Let the discussions begin.
To follow up on the Adam and Eve disussion I found this to be interesting today:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/04/24/close...index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Human beings may have had a brush with extinction 70,000 years ago, an extensive genetic study suggests.
The human population at that time was reduced to small isolated groups in Africa, apparently because of drought, according to an analysis released Thursday.
The report notes that a separate study by researchers at Stanford University estimated the number of early humans may have shrunk as low as 2,000 before numbers began to expand again in the early Stone Age.
"This study illustrates the extraordinary power of genetics to reveal insights into some of the key events in our species' history," Spencer Wells, National Geographic Society explorer in residence, said in a statement.
"Tiny bands of early humans, forced apart by harsh environmental conditions, coming back from the brink to reunite and populate the world. Truly an epic drama, written in our DNA."
Wells is director of the Genographic Project, launched in 2005 to study anthropology using genetics. The report was published in the American Journal of Human Genetics.
Previous studies using mitochondrial DNA -- which is passed down through mothers -- have traced modern humans to a single "mitochondrial Eve," who lived in Africa about 200,000 years ago.
The migrations of humans out of Africa to populate the rest of the world appear to have begun about 60,000 years ago, but little has been known about humans between Eve and that dispersal.
The new study looks at the mitochondrial DNA of the Khoi and San people in South Africa, who appear to have diverged from other people between 90,000 and 150,000 years ago.
The researchers led by Doron Behar of Rambam Medical Center in Haifa, Israel, and Saharon Rosset of IBM T.J. Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, New York, and Tel Aviv University concluded that humans separated into small populations before the Stone Age, when they came back together and began to increase in numbers and spread to other areas.
Eastern Africa experienced a series of severe droughts between 135,000 and 90,000 years ago, and researchers said this climatological shift may have contributed to the population changes, dividing into small, isolated groups that developed independently.
Paleontologist Meave Leakey, a Genographic adviser, said: "Who would have thought that as recently as 70,000 years ago, extremes of climate had reduced our population to such small numbers that we were on the very edge of extinction?"
Today, more than 6.6 billion people inhabit the globe, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
The research was funded by the National Geographic Society, IBM, the Waitt Family Foundation, the Seaver Family Foundation, Family Tree DNA and Arizona Research Labs.
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
How Can a Relegion be proved or disproved someone explain this to me?:confused:
RammsteinFan92 Wrote:How Can a Relegion be proved or disproved someone explain this to me?:confused:

If you're looking at it scientifically, IMO there will never be enough information to prove or disprove religion. Religion is based on faith but if there are any scientific findings that help you solidify your faith, great.

But I think there's always going to be people saying "look this proves that Jesus was real, or look this proves that God is real" and you will always have people saying "look this proves that religion is wrong." It depends on what you believe and the amount of faith that you have.
I would believe that humans had a brink of extinction. According to the Bible, there were only about 8-10 people left after the Flood. And they were left to populate the earth.

I, however, would not agree with that happening 50,000 to 70,000 years ago, nor do I believe the earth is millions of years old. I may be wrong, but according to biblical evidence, much can be explained to validate a young earth that has only been around for thousands of years. I don't know for sure, but no other human, whether they be scientist, archaeologist, or whatever can know for sure either. We all make assumptions based on our theories. My belief is based on the Holy Bible being the inerrant Word of God, and that if you trace the generations of people that the Bible gives you back and calculate the numbers of years, you would see that, according to the Bible, the earth has only been around for a few thousand years, and all the evidence for other things is there as well such as dinosaurs, Ice Age, creation, origin, the great flood, etc.

If you want more information about this you can visit this website:

http://www.answersingenesis.com
RammsteinFan92 Wrote:How Can a Relegion be proved or disproved someone explain this to me?:confused:

You will never find anything to prove or disprove a religion. What you will find are things that contradict in the beliefs, historical facts, etc. If you study long enough and search out so-called experts on each you will see that each and every religion has its faults - even christianity. However, the difference about biblical christianity is that it's Holy Bible has never contradicted itself by it's scriptures within. It basically gives us enough factual evidence through scientific study and archaeological evidence to give itself credibility for the words within. We never find anything that contradicts itself that sticks. Now there will be groups of people, Mormon beliefs for example, as well as Islamic beliefs, that will try and say that there are errors within. However, when taken into a breakdown study, when conceivably picked apart, one will find that whatever contradiction we seemably find proves itself valid. The Bible's own words from the Apostle Paul in his letter to Timothy even says, "Study to show thyself approved."