Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Private vs Public Schools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I heard in the news that their about to separate them from tournment action. Has anyone else heard anything?
I think you read the article wrong. The KSAA is requesting the public schools not schedule the private schools during the regular season. Since most of the scheduling for 2008/09 has already been completed they are recommending this "boycott" take place in 2009/2010. I personnally think the boycott will have little impact outside of Lexington because:

* This is nothing but a suggestion to the public schools.
* The wording says that if two schools have a good relationship they should continue playing.
* The Jefferson Co public schools superintendent said this would have no impact on their scheduling.
rojas Wrote:I think you read the article wrong. The KSAA is requesting the public schools not schedule the private schools during the regular season. Since most of the scheduling for 2008/09 has already been completed they are recommending this "boycott" take place in 2009/2010. I personnally think the boycott will have little impact outside of Lexington because:

* This is nothing but a suggestion to the public schools.
* The wording says that if two schools have a good relationship they should continue playing.
* The Jefferson Co public schools superintendent said this would have no impact on their scheduling.
Yea your right, I just knew it was something about both schools.
Their has been argument about this for a few years running now but the seperation probably won't take place for a while if even at all. Here's a question. Wonder how it would be if instead of having a Sweet 16, you play like it is in football? Seperate by class. A, AA, AAA, Etc. Then do a playoff. Just thought I'd brainstorm a bit. How do you think it would work?
Basketball should be seperated into 4 classes. 1A,2A,3A,4A, they should play the final 4 of all the classes at Rupp Arena, would still be the sweet 16, only a little different format! Same number of games, 4 state titles.... would be interesting to see how it all played out.... then, if they wanted to throw in an over all final 4, they could play 2 more games on sunday morning and afternoon to get an over all Kentucky champ.
Well does Oak Hill play in their State Tourny?
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Basketball should be seperated into 4 classes. 1A,2A,3A,4A, they should play the final 4 of all the classes at Rupp Arena, would still be the sweet 16, only a little different format! Same number of games, 4 state titles.... would be interesting to see how it all played out.... then, if they wanted to throw in an over all final 4, they could play 2 more games on sunday morning and afternoon to get an over all Kentucky champ.
That would effectively kill the Sweet 16. About 1/2 the schools in the state qualify for the All A Classic championship.
rojas Wrote:That would effectively kill the Sweet 16. About 1/2 the schools in the state qualify for the All A Classic championship.

If the KHSAA decided to move basketball to 4 classes, it would be 4 relatively equal classes in terms of number of schools. The "All A" uses a much different type of classificiation which goes by number of students solely and not number of schools. If 1/2 of schools were eligible for the "All A" and the KHSAA set up 4 classes (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A), only about 1/2 of the "All A" participants would be eligible for the 1A state titile, the other half would be 2A.

I know that was a lot of rambling, but hopefully that made some sense.
Oak Hill does not play in the Virginia SHAA tournaments. They essentially travel throughout the country and play competative teams. From what I have been told, they don't even play games at their home gym. It is essentially used for practice only.
Godspeed Wrote:Their has been argument about this for a few years running now but the seperation probably won't take place for a while if even at all. Here's a question. Wonder how it would be if instead of having a Sweet 16, you play like it is in football? Seperate by class. A, AA, AAA, Etc. Then do a playoff. Just thought I'd brainstorm a bit. How do you think it would work?

I think it would be awful. High school Kentucky basketball is taken gravely by people all across the state and including many people who don't follow it throughout the season that still go. The Ky state championship title is very prestigious. I believe the fan pool and spiritedness would die down as the tournament is split up (even if it was dived by four class champs). I saw on my satellite TV the West Virginia high school class AAA championship and it looked about like some of the 15th games at the Expo, empty seats everywhere and as lively as a graveyard. But beside the point, there is an class A state championship held every year.
Mr.Mister Wrote:I think it would be awful. High school Kentucky basketball is taken gravely by people all across the state and including many people who don't follow it throughout the season that still go. The Ky state championship title is very prestigious. I believe the fan pool and spiritedness would die down as the tournament is split up (even if it was dived by four class champs). I saw on my satellite TV the West Virginia high school class AAA championship and it looked about like some of the 15th games at the Expo, empty seats everywhere and as lively as a graveyard. But beside the point, there is an class A state championship held every year.
Well what if you took the Champion from each class then had a playoff, like a Final Four?
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Basketball should be seperated into 4 classes. 1A,2A,3A,4A, they should play the final 4 of all the classes at Rupp Arena, would still be the sweet 16, only a little different format! Same number of games, 4 state titles.... would be interesting to see how it all played out.... then, if they wanted to throw in an over all final 4, they could play 2 more games on sunday morning and afternoon to get an over all Kentucky champ.
That is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. Not trying to be a jerk but this is why Kentucky HS basketball is so great, because the small schools are in with the big guys. Take that away and all the old men you see in the lower arena won't be back at another state tournament and I myself wouldn't walk through the gates. The tournament gets bigger and bigger each year. This is a problem though today, instead of leaving good things alone everyone has to spice it up and add to it. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.
IMO,THEY SHOULD BE SEPARATED UNTIL PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE ALLOWED TO RECRUIT LIKE PRIVATE SCHOOLS CAN,ASSUMPTION HAS GIRLS THAT LIVE IN FRANKFORT AND COME TO LOUISVILLE EVERYDAY TO SCHOOL TO PLAY VOLLEYBALL,THEY HAVE WON THE STATE LIKE 12 OR 13 YEARS IN A ROW,HOW CAN PUBLIC SCHOOLS COMPETE AGAINST THAT IN ANY SPORT.:mad:
I agree.
Private schools are not allowed to recruit just the same as public schools are not allowed to. A player can live in one school district and go to school in another school district. Both recruit, public and private. It just seems like private schools do it more often because most of the time they do not have a defined district.
HORNET POWER Wrote:IMO,THEY SHOULD BE SEPARATED UNTIL PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE ALLOWED TO RECRUIT LIKE PRIVATE SCHOOLS CAN,ASSUMPTION HAS GIRLS THAT LIVE IN FRANKFORT AND COME TO LOUISVILLE EVERYDAY TO SCHOOL TO PLAY VOLLEYBALL,THEY HAVE WON THE STATE LIKE 12 OR 13 YEARS IN A ROW,HOW CAN PUBLIC SCHOOLS COMPETE AGAINST THAT IN ANY SPORT.:mad:

I have read most of the KHSAA rule book. Not cover to cover, but I have read a lot of it. Mind you, some of it is really hard to understand. But could you tell me the section that states private schools can recruit? There is only one KHSAA rule book and it covers both public and private schools. Some private schools are not in the KHSAA and they are not allowed to play in the state tournament The ones that are eligible to play in the sweet 16 follow the same rules. But if you seen something in it I didnt could you post where it is located in the book?
Public schools are good. private are 10x better.. I believe they should hold seprate tournments for each public and private schools.. Private can recruit.. which gives them a big hand over public
Many publics recruit as well
divadawg Wrote:Oak Hill does not play in the Virginia SHAA tournaments. They essentially travel throughout the country and play competative teams. From what I have been told, they don't even play games at their home gym. It is essentially used for practice only.
Thats just weird.:eek:
kentuckyballa21 Wrote:Public schools are good. private are 10x better.. I believe they should hold seprate tournments for each public and private schools.. Private can recruit.. which gives them a big hand over public
I don't have a rulebook, so if anyone does please post the exact rule about recruiting and start a thread with just it there. I will bet my house that it doesn't say anywhere that private schools can recruit.
kj52 Wrote:Many publics recruit as well

Thats probably true, but the ones that don't and follow the rules have to fight an uphill battle. It's not fair to them.
As long as the Queen of Contradiction (a grad of Lex. Catholic) is head of the KHSAA, private schools will ride the gravy train of creative transfer.