Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell trio no longer going to Cumberlands?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have recently heard from all three that Cumberlands took their scholarship money away, is this correct?
Wow, that's terrible if true. Why did they take the money away?
I've heard about that happening all the time with these NAIA schools.
What happened (at least in the case of Adam) is when he received his letter, he did have what was called a "patriot grant" which he took to be the football scholarship portion of the package. (The other financial offerings had other scholarship and grant names attached to them). There was an "*" asterisk beside the patriot grant football money that stated that if the player received any other scholarship money the football money would be reduced. So in other words, if he received no other financial assistance reward from local or national scholarships that money would stay right there.

His initial package came back with him (including student loan money and some workstudy money) having 92% of his tuition/room/board paid for. The coaching staff told him early on that they were pretty sure they could at least get him 85% funded and were able to do 92.

So when a scholarship that Adam had applied for came through later on after the first offering, the football money went away and he received a new package. So if during the senior awards, Adam received no other scholarships, he would be responsible for less than a 1,000 plus books each semester. He would be able to set up the difference on a payment plan and break it down over the course of the semester.

So lets say Adam wanted to pull out and go walk-on someplace else (UK for example) he would have to have at least 4000 per semester in loan money for tuition/room board (minus kees money). In his case the amount of student loan money he has allocated for each semester at Cumberland plus his out of pocket would almost come out even at this point.

If he was fortunate enough to receive even 1 or 2 local scholarships or even a state or national scholarship he could depending on the nature of the scholarship owe only for his books or maybe even nothing at all. But he won't know that until the awards night in a few weeks. (Of course he would still be responsible any student loans when he got out, but he knew that going in and right now I think they are pretty reasonable amounts considering the cost of going to Cumberland.

Man - I sure hope this makes at least a little sense!!!

As I said earlier, this is only the case for Adam. I know very little about Toby and Tyler. I do know that Adam is really trying to convince Toby to stay. I believe Tyler has already pulled out of his agreement, but again I cannot say that for a fact about either of them.
And people think I am crazy about preparing for college when my son is in 5th grade. It takes a lot to get there and even more to figure out which package to look at. With nothing in life guarenteed anymore except DEATH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,College is a hard choice and a part time job for parents with kids preparing for the task. The more that the parents understand about the ins and outs of the process will benefit their children inthe long run.
Adam is great football player, and I can tell that his dad knows whats going on... it is great to hear your side of the issue and hopefully this will help other parents when it comes to these decisions.

Great post and very informative..
Russelldad Wrote:What happened (at least in the case of Adam) is when he received his letter, he did have what was called a "patriot grant" which he took to be the football scholarship portion of the package. (The other financial offerings had other scholarship and grant names attached to them). There was an "*" asterisk beside the patriot grant football money that stated that if the player received any other scholarship money the football money would be reduced. So in other words, if he received no other financial assistance reward from local or national scholarships that money would stay right there.

His initial package came back with him (including student loan money and some workstudy money) having 92% of his tuition/room/board paid for. The coaching staff told him early on that they were pretty sure they could at least get him 85% funded and were able to do 92.

So when a scholarship that Adam had applied for came through later on after the first offering, the football money went away and he received a new package. So if during the senior awards, Adam received no other scholarships, he would be responsible for less than a 1,000 plus books each semester. He would be able to set up the difference on a payment plan and break it down over the course of the semester.

So lets say Adam wanted to pull out and go walk-on someplace else (UK for example) he would have to have at least 4000 per semester in loan money for tuition/room board (minus kees money). In his case the amount of student loan money he has allocated for each semester at Cumberland plus his out of pocket would almost come out even at this point.

If he was fortunate enough to receive even 1 or 2 local scholarships or even a state or national scholarship he could depending on the nature of the scholarship owe only for his books or maybe even nothing at all. But he won't know that until the awards night in a few weeks. (Of course he would still be responsible any student loans when he got out, but he knew that going in and right now I think they are pretty reasonable amounts considering the cost of going to Cumberland.

Man - I sure hope this makes at least a little sense!!!

As I said earlier, this is only the case for Adam. I know very little about Toby and Tyler. I do know that Adam is really trying to convince Toby to stay. I believe Tyler has already pulled out of his agreement, but again I cannot say that for a fact about either of them.

Thats terrible that this news is true, i heard Tyler is to Morehead? and where will adam be going now?
highschoolfootballfan Wrote:Thats terrible that this news is true, i heard Tyler is to Morehead? and where will adam be going now?

Right now, Adam is still going to Cumberland. He really likes it there. He likes the coaches and the teammates he has met on his 3 visits. He was okay when he told me that Tyler had pulled out, but when he found out that Tobey was considering it as well because of financial issues, he was a little more frustrated. They all 3 had signed up to room together.

He has all his papework in order and has talked with his counselors about his classes for the fall.

--
something that I failed to mention in my first post about the financial package is the amount of the "football grant money". The amount Adam received was less than a 1000 per semester. I do not know if this is standard for all incoming freshmen athletes at Cumberland or not. It very well may be. In defense of Cumberland, they never made any promises to us on our parent / son visit that they would offer a free full-paid ride. What they offered was "some" help in the form of a "football grant/money". And that they would work to get Adam at least 85% of his tuition paid which they were able to do plus some.
When did you guys a s family start looking for colleges and promoting your child??
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:When did you guys a s family start looking for colleges and promoting your child??

unfortunately not until "after" his junior year. I would recommend start attending summer camps (2 or 3 per summer) after a kids freshmen year. That way they can build a repoire with the coaches at the camps for 3 years. Because most of them bring in the same coaches from the same colleges each year. I would pick the same camps each year as well.

Also I would begin making a highlight tape each year from 9th grade on. That way your not left as we was trying to watch 2 years of games tapes trying to pull out plays. Now you also could do like Casey did and hire a company to come do all that for you each week. There is a service out of Huntington WV that will "for a fee" come to camps, games, etc and capture only your son's highlights and put together a DVD for you and also begin to send them out to the colleges you want them to.

To be honest, it would be great if we could at RHS hire someone to be on staff that would help our players do that. I know that some bigger schools have someone who answers the college letters and sends them in for the kids and sets up visits on campuses. With the current responsibilities of our AD and staff, they just have the time to do that extra work for the boys. For Adam once he got his highlight video done, he took it to one of the coaches and they sent it out to the colleges he wanted them to which was nice (saved us some postage). I know with Cumberland, they were the ones who sought out the boys. They had seen the boys play and inquired with Sam S. about their grades and came and made the visit with them and came back impressed with each of them.
Sounds like a venture, I will check into it.
highschoolfootballfan Wrote:Thats terrible that this news is true, i heard Tyler is to Morehead?

I have talked to Tyler, and from what he says he will be attending Morehead State next fall as a preferred walk on. Good luck to him and the rest of the others playing ball next year!!!
I talked to Tyler the other day at the store and he said he will be going to Marshall to play. I wanna say goodluck to all of them, and cant wait to see the Russell boys get one more shot on June 13th in the all-star game.
This is a thread that any parent aspiring for their child to play collegiate sports should read, and READ VERY CAREFULLY!

Full Rides on any level are few and far between, and unless you have the extremely rare exception who can play Division 1, their will more than likely be money needing to be payed. Classroom success in high school is imperative, even if schools are begging for a kid's services.

Hated to hear about this situation, glad things still panned out for you Russelldad.
2Fast4U Wrote:I have talked to Tyler, and from what he says he will be attending Morehead State next fall as a preferred walk on. Good luck to him and the rest of the others playing ball next year!!!

Everyone is a walk-on at Morehead.
NEXT Wrote:Everyone is a walk-on at Morehead.

True, but at least in basketball, walk-ons have to tryout and may not be taken. Preferred walk-ons are guaranteed a roster spot. Not sure if it works this way in football.
Russelldad Wrote:Right now, Adam is still going to Cumberland. He really likes it there. He likes the coaches and the teammates he has met on his 3 visits. He was okay when he told me that Tyler had pulled out, but when he found out that Tobey was considering it as well because of financial issues, he was a little more frustrated. They all 3 had signed up to room together.

He has all his papework in order and has talked with his counselors about his classes for the fall.

--
something that I failed to mention in my first post about the financial package is the amount of the "football grant money". The amount Adam received was less than a 1000 per semester. I do not know if this is standard for all incoming freshmen athletes at Cumberland or not. It very well may be. In defense of Cumberland, they never made any promises to us on our parent / son visit that they would offer a free full-paid ride. What they offered was "some" help in the form of a "football grant/money". And that they would work to get Adam at least 85% of his tuition paid which they were able to do plus some.

I actually attended Univ. of the Cumberlands for a year and a half playing soccer while I was there. Roomed with a football player, so i learned a lot about how the football team works as well. From my experience with talking to everyone on other sports team many end up with 1 to 2 thousand for their sport starting out. Unless you are looked at to be a star for the team then of course you will get more. I actually was getting 1k but the great thing about the college is they find so many other ways to reduce your cost. Also watch for that Stafford Loan that pops up b/c it makes things look a whole lot better. Just a worried fromt he wise.Big Grin. Good Luck to Adam I hope every thing works out.
I heard that Tyler was going to Marshall. Toby was going to UK and I dont know where Adam is going????? Just a word I heard today. Dont know for sure.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I heard that Tyler was going to Marshall. Toby was going to UK and I dont know where Adam is going????? Just a word I heard today. Dont know for sure.

Quote:15thREGION... Just a worried fromt he wise.. Good Luck to Adam I hope every thing works out.

Right now, at this point Adam is still enrolled at Cumberland. He also was invited like Tyler to the Green/White game at Marshall and has spoken to one of the coaches and sent them a highlight tape. The only thing that he (and I believe Tyler as well) has been offered so far is to be a "walk-on". No money at all has been promised to them to defer the tuition costs. No promises to earn a scholarship down the road either. So he is playing the waiting the game. We have filled out the application for Marshall but have not sent it in yet. What is scaring his mom and I is that the Cost to attend Marshall even as a "metro student" is close to 19,000 (public)for the year for everything. The cost for Cumberland for the year is 21,000 (private). If he choose Marshall, He would lose all of his KEES money because it is only good in the state of KY. He would also lose all of his Cumberland Scholarships that he has been awarded so far as well as CAP Money. Now I am not for sure whether his student loan amount would be different in (private/Public) as far as the amounts, but if it is the same, then the amount he would get from student loans would not even cover 1/2 of his tuition each semester.

The Senior awards night is next week at RHS and unless he is fortnuate to receive some scholarships from the ones he filled out (he filled out quite a few of them) then it would be very difficult for us to afford for them to attend marshall at this time. He knows that we are not closing the door on Marshall, but financially it would be very hard. He would love to attend a college with a fellow classmate and to possibly play Division I football someday, but we are right now just leaving it in the Lords hands and waiting to see what happens after next Tuesdays award night and whether their coaches get back with him or not.

15th region - Thanks for the kind words.
Russelldad Wrote:Right now, at this point Adam is still enrolled at Cumberland. He also was invited like Tyler to the Green/White game at Marshall and has spoken to one of the coaches and sent them a highlight tape. The only thing that he (and I believe Tyler as well) has been offered so far is to be a "walk-on". No money at all has been promised to them to defer the tuition costs. No promises to earn a scholarship down the road either. So he is playing the waiting the game. We have filled out the application for Marshall but have not sent it in yet. What is scaring his mom and I is that the Cost to attend Marshall even as a "metro student" is close to 19,000 (public)for the year for everything. The cost for Cumberland for the year is 21,000 (private). If he choose Marshall, He would lose all of his KEES money because it is only good in the state of KY. He would also lose all of his Cumberland Scholarships that he has been awarded so far as well as CAP Money. Now I am not for sure whether his student loan amount would be different in (private/Public) as far as the amounts, but if it is the same, then the amount he would get from student loans would not even cover 1/2 of his tuition each semester.

The Senior awards night is next week at RHS and unless he is fortnuate to receive some scholarships from the ones he filled out (he filled out quite a few of them) then it would be very difficult for us to afford for them to attend marshall at this time. He knows that we are not closing the door on Marshall, but financially it would be very hard. He would love to attend a college with a fellow classmate and to possibly play Division I football someday, but we are right now just leaving it in the Lords hands and waiting to see what happens after next Tuesdays award night and whether their coaches get back with him or not.

15th region - Thanks for the kind words.

It would be awesome for him to play D1 ball. Thats a dream for everybody. But, more importantly, he would be getting a college education. I wish only the best for your son.
RussellDAD!!!!
You guys are in our prayers. I hope the best for Adam and all the boys..
I had ran into Tyler at track when i watching my kids do there track and feild events and he had said the coaches have been calling him about pre-walk on status. I noticed he has been working hard with runnning and lifting throughout this process, but whatever happens best of luck!..