Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Paintsville's Shane Grimm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has Shane made his decision where he will attend college. Any scolly offers, D-1 or NAIA? Just wondering, haven't heard anything since last fall.
Haven't heard anything, but he is good enough to go somewhere.
Is West Va. looking at him?
I talked to Grimmy just recently and he said he was thinking about either Louisville or West Virginia. He didnt say if any of them offered him a scholarship or not
He has received no official offers as of yet....but he is still looking both d1 and juco
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Is West Va. looking at him?

I heard that they were
I hope Grimmy goes to Louisville so he can get me a Chris Dominguez Autograph I'll have to tell him that at the next practice
I heard Grimm was gonna end up at St. Catherine or maybe Pikeville.
The Joker Wrote:I heard Grimm was gonna end up at St. Catherine or maybe Pikeville.

I highly doubt he will go to Pikeville. Personally I would like to see him go to The Univ. of Cumberlands where the Blanton bros are.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Is West Va. looking at him?

I think so.
But that's just hear-say.

but whatever the case, he's really good and is more than likely gonna get a scholarship somewhere. Very talented athelete.
Big Grin
Does Grimm have good grades or what has he scored on the ACT/SAT?
I hope Grimmy can sign to one of them good college's, I'd like to see him end up at Louisville
Idk if he has the test scores..I hope he makes it though...However he will end up somewhere smaller starting out, and then he will go to a bigger school!
THUGLIFE#1 Wrote:I hope Grimmy goes to Louisville so he can get me a Chris Dominguez Autograph I'll have to tell him that at the next practice
I'll get you a Chris Dominguez autograph I have a presentation with him on Tuesday and he is one of my good friends!!

If Grimmy goes to UofL it would be great the team is very young and they need pitchers!! I had heard Coach McDonnel was looking at him this past spring! Grimmy's stuff is just about as good as anyone on that team and they are a a good team and he will automatically be in contention for the Big East title and possibly College World Series.
cardinalfan27 Wrote:I'll get you a Chris Dominguez autograph I have a presentation with him on Tuesday and he is one of my good friends!!

If Grimmy goes to UofL it would be great the team is very young and they need pitchers!! I had heard Coach McDonnel was looking at him this past spring! Grimmy's stuff is just about as good as anyone on that team and they are a a good team and he will automatically be in contention for the Big East title and possibly College World Series.

I wouldn't go that far. :eek:
Jshort5 Wrote:I wouldn't go that far. :eek:
Well they were there last year and anything is possible... so yeah, I think I can go that far. Plus I didn't say they would win the CWS...
Most major D1 schools are finished with their recruiting for 2008 players. I expect him to go to an NAIA school. He will be able to play there and show his talents.
Triple Crown Wrote:Most major D1 schools are finished with their recruiting for 2008 players. I expect him to go to an NAIA school. He will be able to play there and show his talents.
Very true statment. The D-1 colleges already have signed the kids they want or have targeted the kids they want. So right now if you are going to sign D-1 you will more than likely know because the coaches have been talking to you.
For his sake I hope he doesn't go to Pikeville. The program has turned into a joke with the departure of Johnny Lemaster.
Triple Crown Wrote:Most major D1 schools are finished with their recruiting for 2008 players. I expect him to go to an NAIA school. He will be able to play there and show his talents.
This aint basketball or football. The concept of D1 being better than NAIA in baseball is way over hyped anyways. Local NAIA baseball programs beat up on the local D1's on a regular basis. There is not that much difference.
I heard this afternoon that a word was put in and he has been in contact with Walters State Junior College in Tennessee. This is one of the best, if not the best, JUCO in the nation.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:This aint basketball or football. The concept of D1 being better than NAIA in baseball is way over hyped anyways. Local NAIA baseball programs beat up on the local D1's on a regular basis. There is not that much difference.

Cumberland v. EKU for one example this year.
IRISH4 Wrote:I heard this afternoon that a word was put in and he has been in contact with Walters State Junior College in Tennessee. This is one of the best, if not the best, JUCO in the nation.

This isn't very far fetched because every pitcher that I knew that went to Walters State has been a lefty. I can see them pursuing him if he can get his velocity up a little bit, but I can see him going there.
IRISH4 Wrote:I heard this afternoon that a word was put in and he has been in contact with Walters State Junior College in Tennessee. This is one of the best, if not the best, JUCO in the nation.

Yeah they're, my papaw lives near Morristown, where Walters State is located, and there is a sign out in front of the college that says National Champs, can't remember what year it said but it was either last year or the year before that. IMO it would be better for Grimm to go to a great NAIA school than a mediocre D1 school.
Jshort5 Wrote:Yeah they're, my papaw lives near Morristown, where Walters State is located, and there is a sign out in front of the college that says National Champs, can't remember what year it said but it was either last year or the year before that. IMO it would be better for Grimm to go to a great NAIA school than a mediocre D1 school.

Well the only down fall would be if he didn't do good at a junior college. If he wasn't productive at the JUCO level then it would be difficult for him to get a scholarship offer after his two years were up. There may be some offers but it may not be what he wants. If he goes to a 4 year NAIA school he may have a better shot at being a success, and getting his school somewhat paid for, but it all depends on what he wants to do.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:This aint basketball or football. The concept of D1 being better than NAIA in baseball is way over hyped anyways. Local NAIA baseball programs beat up on the local D1's on a regular basis. There is not that much difference.
I wouldn't go that far. Some NAIA schools might slip up and beat a D-1 school but I would say 7 out of 10 times the D-1 would roll over the NAIA. When D-1 schools play NAIA they rarely throw any starters weekend or mid-week. It is usually some guys out of the pen that need work and this is a good situation for them to face some hitters. The big difference between the two is the overall athletic ablility from top to bottom on the roster. Generally the D-1 and D-2 schools have more. Not to say there aren't kids on the NAIA squads that can't play D-1 because I have seen many that could.
I would think his best bet would go the JUCO route. A lot of good players go that route to go straight in and play and get used to the college atmosphere and then transfer. Heath Castle for example went to St. Catherines.
The Joker Wrote:I wouldn't go that far. Some NAIA schools might slip up and beat a D-1 school but I would say 7 out of 10 times the D-1 would roll over the NAIA. When D-1 schools play NAIA they rarely throw any starters weekend or mid-week. It is usually some guys out of the pen that need work and this is a good situation for them to face some hitters. The big difference between the two is the overall athletic ablility from top to bottom on the roster. Generally the D-1 and D-2 schools have more. Not to say there aren't kids on the NAIA squads that can't play D-1 because I have seen many that could.

Well Kentucky State is one of the worst college baseball programs in the nation, and the NAIA mercy rule them every time they play them. It just depends on what school your talking about.
The Joker Wrote:I wouldn't go that far. Some NAIA schools might slip up and beat a D-1 school but I would say 7 out of 10 times the D-1 would roll over the NAIA. When D-1 schools play NAIA they rarely throw any starters weekend or mid-week. It is usually some guys out of the pen that need work and this is a good situation for them to face some hitters. The big difference between the two is the overall athletic ablility from top to bottom on the roster. Generally the D-1 and D-2 schools have more. Not to say there aren't kids on the NAIA squads that can't play D-1 because I have seen many that could.
Univ. of the Cumberlands, Union, Cumberland U., Tennessee Wesleyan, and Lee University would be right in the mix for an OVC championship. Most seasons you can add Campbellsville. Last season the Mid South doormat, West Virginia Tech, not only beat Marshall but threw a no-hitter at their starters. Lindsey Wilson beat Morehead by an ungoodly score of something like 25-2. A very mediocre Georgetown team also beat both Morehead and EKU last season as well.

Ask Matt Fyffe what Georgetown did to him and EKU last week. Kind of a humbling experience , I would say. He and every other "D1" pitcher they threw at Georgetown was ponded and pounded hard, and then Cumberland rolls over Georgetown 4 straight games this weekend like they were a middle school team. Say what you want Eastern played their starters and they could not hit very mediocre and sometimes sub standard Georgetown pitching.

The big difference is depth, not so much the quality of the starting lineups. Even in these matchups , the D1 programs still start their every day position starters. Dont take too lightly the caliber of the pitchers that the D1's throw in these games either. Remember all these guys were recruited as a player that was deemed to be in someones eyes as "D1" quality. The lack of available scholarship money in all divisions is what makes baseball a lot more balanced and equitable between the divisions. And dont think for a second that the NAIA's are throwing their confernence starters either for that matter , because they are all right in the middle of their conference seasons as well, and they sure as heck aint gonna burn their starters on a mid week game either. So tell me what the difference is. Conference wins are way too important.

As far as DII, a lot of these schools regularly go back and forth between being either affiliated with the NCAA or the NAIA. They are basicly the same in many aspects. It is based on the school enrollment size in what determines what is defined as a D1 school and a DII school, not in the quality of athlete that they attract.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Univ. of the Cumberlands, Union, Cumberland U., Tennessee Wesleyan, and Lee University would be right in the mix for an OVC championship. Most seasons you can add Campbellsville. Last season the Mid South doormat, West Virginia Tech, not only beat Marshall but threw a no-hitter at their starters. Lindsey Wilson beat Morehead by an ungoodly score of something like 25-2. A very mediocre Georgetown team also beat both Morehead and EKU last season as well.

Ask Matt Fyffe what Georgetown did to him and EKU last week. Kind of a humbling experience , I would say. He and every other "D1" pitcher they threw at Georgetown was ponded and pounded hard, and then Cumberland rolls over Georgetown 4 straight games this weekend like they were a middle school team. Say what you want Eastern played their starters and they could not hit very mediocre and sometimes sub standard Georgetown pitching.

The big difference is depth, not so much the quality of the starting lineups. Even in these matchups , the D1 programs still start their every day position starters. Dont take too lightly the caliber of the pitchers that the D1's throw in these games either. Remember all these guys that were recruited as a player that was deemed to be in someones eyes as "D1" quality. The lack of available scholarship money in all divisions is what makes baseball a lot more balanced and equitable between the divisions. And dont think for a second that the NAIA's arte throwing their confernence starters either for that matter , because they are all right in the middle of their conference seasons as well, and they sure as heck aint gonna burn their starters on a mid week game either. Conference wins are way too important.

Good post I agree, and I was wrong I meant to type Georgetwon earlier instead of Cumberland. I had a temporary brain lapse. You are right though. It is not really that D1 schools have better players it's just depth. The starter for a good NAIA school and a D1 school are not that different, unless were talking about Rice or Oregon State.
Pages: 1 2