Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best High School Player Ever at...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who was/is the best high school baseball player from:
Greenup Co.
Raceland
Russell
Boyd Co.
Ashland
Fairview
Rose Hill
East Carter
West Carter
Lawrence County
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Sheldon Clark
Remember, this thread is about who was the best high school player, not collegian or professional. Also, what made these players the best from their respective school?
Why does it have to be about those schools? Why can't it be about any Kentucky school?
blackcat_student Wrote:Why does it have to be about those schools? Why can't it be about any Kentucky school?

Cause Prestonsburg sucks! Haha I am just kidding with you. P-burg has had some great talent come through there. Ortega being one of them. One of the best all around athletes i've seen.
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:Cause Prestonsburg sucks! Haha I am just kidding with you. P-burg has had some great talent come through there. Ortega being one of them. One of the best all around athletes i've seen.

I wasn't being a homer in my post. I just think that it isn't fair to any other school in the state when asking who is or was the best player from a certain list of schools.

As for Ortega, he ended up being one of the best athletes to ever come out of Prestonsburg. He had a very nice career at Centre College playing both baseball & football.
blackcat_student Wrote:I wasn't being a homer in my post. I just think that it isn't fair to any other school in the state when asking who is or was the best player from a certain list of schools.

As for Ortega, he ended up being one of the best athletes to ever come out of Prestonsburg. He had a very nice career at Centre College playing both baseball & football.

I agree he did. I would say there would be a good argument for him being "the best" to ever come out of there. I think he could have went to a bigger school if he would have narrowed his choice down to one sport. Very smart kid too.
Johnnie Lemaster (SS) - Drafted #6 overall in the '73 MLB Draft by the San Fransico Giants. Numerous scouts at each game felt he could've been drafted a few spots lower even as a pitcher. Had a cannon for an arm and could flat out mash during his days at Paintsville, I believe he was clocked at well over 90 mph throwing the ball across the diamond. Had a lengthy career in the bigs, finished in second place 3 times for the golden glove award (twice behind Ozzy Smith, and once by Dave Concepcion)...bounced around the end of his career before retirement in '87 I believe.
In beginning this thread, I was not intending to "leave out" any schools because all schools in Ky. need to be represented. However, these schools are the ones that I have come in contact with the most and grew up around either playing or spectating. It is similar to threads such as "best catcher in the 16th" and so on. Once again, no personal bias saying that these schools are better than others.
IRISH4 Wrote:Johnnie Lemaster (SS) - Drafted #6 overall in the '73 MLB Draft by the San Fransico Giants. Numerous scouts at each game felt he could've been drafted a few spots lower even as a pitcher. Had a cannon for an arm and could flat out mash during his days at Paintsville, I believe he was clocked at well over 90 mph throwing the ball across the diamond. Had a lengthy career in the bigs, finished in second place 3 times for the golden glove award (twice behind Ozzy Smith, and once by Dave Concepcion)...bounced around the end of his career before retirement in '87 I believe.

He was also selected to the San Fransico Giant's All-Century Team as the shortstop. Had a great glove and speed, but his bat was suspect. I don't think he ever hit over .254 for a season, and the most homeruns he ever had was 6 in 1983. He was still the best to ever come out of Paintsville though. Playing 14 years in the "show" says a whole lot about somebody's ability.
Who was/is the best high school baseball player from:
Greenup Co.
Raceland
Russell
Boyd Co.
Ashland
Fairview
Rose Hill
East Carter
West Carter
Lawrence County
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Sheldon Clark
Remember, this thread is about who was the best high school player, not collegian or professional. Also, what made these players the best from their respective school?
My personal opinions:
Greenup Co.-Aaron McGlone
Raceland-Ryan McKenzie or Thomas Tolliver
Russell-Chris Hughes
Boyd Co.-Caleb Stewart
Ashland-Juan Thomas
Fairview-Eddie Dixon
Rose Hill-Gary Crites
East Carter-Gary Spillman or Art Daugherty
West Carter-Shay Berry
Lawrence Co.-Dave Wheeler or Steven Blevins
Paintsville-Tucker Howard
Johnson Central-Alex Ward
Sheldon Clark-Brad Tiller
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:He was also selected to the San Fransico Giant's All-Century Team as the shortstop. Had a great glove and speed, but his bat was suspect. I don't think he ever hit over .254 for a season, and the most homeruns he ever had was 6 in 1983. He was still the best to ever come out of Paintsville though. Playing 14 years in the "show" says a whole lot about somebody's ability.

His bat in the bigs was his only real problem....I remember playing for Johnnie at Pikeville College and he would leave 2 weeks in January because the Giants invited him every year to come to their fantasy camp. Another tidbit I heard over the weekend was that in the Minor's he hit pretty good, but actually injured one of his hands working and lost some sensation in his bottom hand (left hand) which could've lead to his batting woes.

Also from Paintsville was David Lemaster, Randy Daniel, Lance Daniel and Tucker Howard....all were very good high school players.

JC had the Hall brothers, Harry Meek, Willie Blair and Heath Castle. There are probably countless more that could be mentioned...those are a few that came to the top of my head.
abnerdday Wrote:Ashland-Juan Thomas

Juan was a great one. Too bad he was stuck for so many years as the future replacement for Frank Thomas. Then Frank ended up playing another decade+. Juan led the minors in HRs many times I've been told.
Tomcat68 Wrote:Juan was a great one. Too bad he was stuck for so many years as the future replacement for Frank Thomas. Then Frank ended up playing another decade+. Juan led the minors in HRs many times I've been told.

Well of course you have Brandon Webb also. I heard he wasn't the best high school pitcher around, but he definetly is now.
Johnson Central-Willie Blair,Alex Ward, Mtchell Johnson
Paintsville-Johnnie LeMaster, Joe Collins, Tucker Howard, Mickie Van Hoose
Ugot2BkidN Wrote:Johnson Central-Willie Blair,Alex Ward, Mtchell Johnson
Paintsville-Johnnie LeMaster, Joe Collins, Tucker Howard, Mickie Van Hoose

I would think that Randy Daniel would have to be considered the best pitcher that played at Paintsville, and obviously Johnnie LeMaster at position.

As for Johnson Central , I think many people thought that Mike LeMasters was maybe the better of the two pitchers for JC at the time they both played together. Mike went to the Marine Corps and Willie went to college. As far as the most successful during high school only , it's Adam Blanton. The first to win a sectional tournament game for Johnson Central and the only one to ever win a state tournament game. Obviously Willie and Heath and Mike Hall had great careers after high school. As for position player probably Mitchell Johnson or Harry Meek.
brad tiller hands down best player to ever come out of sheldon clark