Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Phelps? No team? (RUMOR)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is the rumor true Pheps not going to have a team this year? this is what i heard when i was in this weekend... i hope this is not true because it would be really rediculous if this happened...
why wouldnt they feild a team this year?
Because no coach, and really they just dont have enough kids who want to play football. I truly feel sorry for the kids who have to play football at phelps.
Isn't there a rule that if a sport isn't offered at one school they can then play for another school within their district? I was curious about this one anyway as I heard it a couple of weeks ago and it totally slipped my mind to mention on here.... Anyone with any info please 411 us all!!
no coach, i would love to take the job, just so these boys could take the field
warriorpride Wrote:Because no coach, and really they just dont have enough kids who want to play football. I truly feel sorry for the kids who have to play football at phelps.

I heard Jim Tom Allen (Paintsville head coach the past 2 seasons) applied for the job.
Well that good to hear. I sure hope Phelps can field a team.
Redneck Wrote:I heard Jim Tom Allen (Paintsville head coach the past 2 seasons) applied for the job.

I thought JTA wanted to stay at Paintsville and head up the science division?
I must have missed it. Did Jones quit or something?
blitz43 Wrote:I must have missed it. Did Jones quit or something?

I'd like to know that as well?
phs1986 Wrote:Isn't there a rule that if a sport isn't offered at one school they can then play for another school within their district? I was curious about this one anyway as I heard it a couple of weeks ago and it totally slipped my mind to mention on here.... Anyone with any info please 411 us all!!

That is correct PHS. I am not sure how the rule totally reads but that is correct. I think it may be the closest school to the proximity of your house. However, I have NEVER heard of anyone doing it lol
I do not believe that you can play for another school if the school you are attending drops a sport or does not have a particular sport at the school. I don't like to say that it is 100% in that the KHSAA does have a tendency at times to change things. I hope things work out for the program if they are having trouble.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:I do not believe that you can play for another school if the school you are attending drops a sport or does not have a particular sport at the school. I don't like to say that it is 100% in that the KHSAA does have a tendency at times to change things. I hope things work out for the program if they are having trouble.
Seems like I read on KHSAA- you have to be enrolled in the school you play for. I know in Floyd County- the kids who attend the alternative school here- Opportunities Unlimited- cannot play for the other schools in the district. Not sure if this is a district rule or KHSAA rule though.
gotcha2 Wrote:Seems like I read on KHSAA- you have to be enrolled in the school you play for. I know in Floyd County- the kids who attend the alternative school here- Opportunities Unlimited- cannot play for the other schools in the district. Not sure if this is a district rule or KHSAA rule though.

I also thought that was the reason. If you don't live in the county or go to that school, you can't play for them.
bluegrassballa Wrote:I also thought that was the reason. If you don't live in the county or go to that school, you can't play for them.
See I have heard both, more of the if a team does not allow a sport for that season then you can leave to play but be enrolled at a different school.
You can play at another school IF your school does not offer a particular sport. I have a family member that attends private school that does not have football and he is allowed to play for the county's middle school.
I hope this isnt true for those kids and the whole school in general. Phelps had such small numbers last year it really wouldnt surprise me.
launchpad4 Wrote:You can play at another school IF your school does not offer a particular sport. I have a family member that attends private school that does not have football and he is allowed to play for the county's middle school.

Middle School yes, but KHSAA does not govern middle school sports.
This rule is addressed on KHSAA's website. Go to HANDBOOK and read By-law 4. It specifically addresses the question. The answer is NO.
gotcha2 Wrote:This rule is addressed on KHSAA's website. Go to HANDBOOK and read By-law 4. It specifically addresses the question. The answer is NO.
Just read it and it says no like 1000000000000000 different times lol...So here is a question that it does not answer IF one of these kids decided TO transfer would THE KHSAA have the right to DENY he/she of playing due to being a transfer student. This is very interesting.
Are there anymore updates on this situation?
blackcat_student Wrote:Are there anymore updates on this situation?
no i havn't heard anything in a week soo i guess it stands were it is...
launchpad4 Wrote:You can play at another school IF your school does not offer a particular sport. I have a family member that attends private school that does not have football and he is allowed to play for the county's middle school.

I don't really want to comment on this subject at this time, but i did read at one point, on KHSAA, that a student could atttend one school and play for antoher. I will research this and let you know the KHSAA rules.
I have heard so many misquotes and misstatements about this rule. The rule states that you must be enrolled in the school that you are participating for. To be eligible for that school, you must meet the transfer rule requirements. You can't just transfer to a school and become eligible. The transfer rule states that you must have a bonafied move, which means a legitamate move not for the purpose of athletics and that is the difficult part of a transfer. Or sit out for one calendar year. The bonafied move means you move from your last residents and you can no longer own that particular dwelling. You can also have a court issue movement that deals with a divorce or change of guardianship, but it must be done through the court system, not just the word of the student and parents.
Once again, there is no way that a high school student can attend one school and play for another. Plain and simple.
I'm not sure about this, but the way I was told the rule one day was that you cannot play a sport for another school unless, the school you're enrolled in does not offer that particular sport AND there is another school within your district that DOES offer that particular sport (such as having 2 or more highschools within the same district, one that does not offer the sport, and one that does) AND you attend the school that is nearest your dwelling.

As I said, that's just how I remember it being told to me on a particular day many years. With all the huss and fuss about transfers over the past few years, I'm sure there have been changes, though.
Redneck Wrote:I heard Jim Tom Allen (Paintsville head coach the past 2 seasons) applied for the job.

That would be a good hire...I think he would be able to get them back to how they used to be. Didn't they go like 10-0 in the 90's one year?
vundy33 Wrote:That would be a good hire...I think he would be able to get them back to how they used to be. Didn't they go like 10-0 in the 90's one year?

Yes they did but that was in the 80's. If I'm not mistaken it was the 84-85 school year season.
I know this is about Phelps football but the false statements might cause problems for the school, student and community. Here is the direct wording from the KHSAA bylaws. ([I]Sec. 4) Enrollment Elsewhere
No student who is enrolled or connected with any other school
than the one he/she represents shall take part in any contest. In
the case of an all-boys high school, girl cheerleaders from affi liated
neighboring girls school may be accepted.
(Case situations related to this bylaw appear on pages 19 through

Case BL-4-11- May a student participate for a member
school while enrolled in another school that does not
offer a particular sport?
No, a student must be enrolled as a full-time student and receiving
credit through the member school at which participation is
desired, or be a student at a “feeder” school in the same school
district as defined within Bylaw 4 and its interpretations.

Here is the information about the transfer rule.
Bylaw 6. Transfer Rule
Sec. 1) Domestic Students
Any student who has been enrolled in grades nine (9) through
twelve (12) and has participated in any varsity game in any sport
at any school following enrollment in grade nine (9) and who then
transfers schools shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletics at
any level in any sport for one year from the date of enrollment in
the new school.a) BONA FIDE CHANGE IN RESIDENCE - If there has been a
bona fi de change in residence by the parents and student that
precedes a student’s change of schools.
For purposes of this bylaw, a bonafi de change of residence means
the moving permanent residence of the entire family of the
student and his/her parents from one school district or defi ned
school attendance area into another school district or defi ned
school attendance area prior to a change in enrollment of the
student. A student who becomes emancipated does not have a
bona fi de change of residence by virtue of his/her emancipation
and change of residence for purposes of this bylaw.
b) DIVORCE - The KHSAA will not recognize a legal separation
as grounds for waiver of the provisions of this bylaw. The
Commissioner may waive the provisions of this bylaw in the
event of a dissolution of marriage (i.e. a fi nal and legally binding
divorce decree from a court of competent jurisdiction) of the
parents and a change in the residence of the student pursuant
to a court order granting custody of the child to one of the
parents with whom the student shall reside. In the event joint
custody is awarded to both parents, for purposes of this bylaw,
the student shall be deemed to reside at his or her previous
residence if one parent retains this residence. If neither parent
retains the former residence, the parents shall designate one of
their new residences (mother or father) for the purpose of this
bylaw, such designation to be reviewed and approved by the
Commissioner.
c) GUARDIANSHIP/CHANGE OF CUSTODY - The KHSAA shall not
recognize guardianship or similar arrangements made, for
purposes of this bylaw. The Commissioner shall have authority
to waive the provisions of this bylaw where it is shown that
custody of the student has been taken from one or both parents
and given to a third person by a court of competent jurisdiction
and under circumstances indicating: (1) the parent(s) is/are unfi t
or (2) the court fi nds that the health and welfare of the student
would be better served by the change in custody.
d) DEATH - In the event the death of one or both of the student’s
custodial parents creates such circumstances that the transfer to
another secondary school is deemed appropriate.
e) BOARDING SCHOOLS - The Commissioner may waive the
period of ineligibility on a one-time basis for students entering
a boarding school on a full time basis as a boarding school
student.
f) NON ATHLETIC PARTICIPATION FOR AN ENTIRE SCHOOL YEAR
- In the event that the transferring student did not participate
in an interscholastic contest at any level in any sport while
enrolled in grades nine through twelve at the sending school
during the entire academic school year immediately preceding
the change in schools.
g) REASSIGNMENT BY BOARD OF EDUCATION - Through a properly
documented reassignment of the Board of Education to another
school in the district. To meet this exception for a reassignment,
reasons for the assignment may include, but are not limited to,
the closing or opening of a school due to consolidation, merger,
opening of a new school, or another type or opening or closing or
assignment through KRS 158.6455 or other applicable adopted
regulation. Such assignment may be to the public school district
should a private, parochial or independent school close.
Thank you very much for posting the ruling on the situtation. It is appreciated.
So, is the rumor still going around?
Pages: 1 2