Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Small town Basketball League
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay short story time... I was pillaging through some old junk in my grand fathers closet. Well low and behold I find a old trophy with a basketball player on it and it says third place. I asked him about it and he said he had won it in a basketball league a few years before I was born. and after that the league just dissolved and fell apart.

Okay now here comes my question how would one go about getting something like this started. I've looked it up on the Internet and couldn't find anything. I found some insurance and Magoffin county has the perfect place to host games at. And I think it would be good for Magoffin county and eastern KY if we got this going.

Summary: How do you get a small independent basketball league started?
I wouldn't know but it would be something me and a few of my friends would be interested in.
You first would need someone with alot of time to get it organized. They run it and have the final say on things before it gets off the ground. Money to enter plus how much it would cost each game for the two referees. Schedule of the day you play on and where is a big deal in having that day known for all involved. Back when we had leagues around we played on saturdays mostly. You can't have a league if from the start everyone argues with the refs either. That can be a problem because we know that all of us know more about calling games than the pinstripes and with many out of shape guys playing it can get a bit rough. Lot of players enjoy having a few tournaments also which would need an entry fee for the weekend. Again, the person that runs it must have control because in these leagues a democracy does not always work the best. Just a few thoughts which may be outdated in the modern era.
The Knott Co. Sportsplex just finished their 1st league season...will be starting another one soon...606-785-5932.
I call games here in Paintsville on Saturdays during the winter, for a men's "church" league, but some of the guys aren't regular attenders of a church, jus attend every now and then or have friends that are members. Usually runs from like Oct to end of March, until softball league starts. Usually has about 12-14 teams (anywhere from 8-10 games a day) in each league, from Paintsville, Prestonsburg, Louisa, Salyersville. I know of a few members on here that have played in at least one of the leagues. He is right now in the process of getting ready to start the softball league. I believe there is a small entry fee of like $200 or so (which usually the church's activities fund or a sponsor takes care of), to cover for insurance and start-up, then he charges $20 a team each game to pay for referees and gym/field rental. So about 2 bucks per person is all it cost per game. Have concessions/drinks available and use one of the nicest gyms in the county. We also tried to get a flag-football league this past fall, but got a late start and really didnt get enuff interest in it the first try, but prob have it running this year. Anyone interested in softball thats starting in a few weeks, or even basketball or flag football for next season, let me know.,
And, like Wyatt was saying, the guy who runs the leagues, he is stern and doesnt put up with any crazy crap, i.e. arguing with refs, fighting, etc.
Could you hook us up with some numbers or emails?

I'm really interested in getting out of the house for some exercise and competition.

But if anyone is interested in helping start this small league In Magoffin leave me a PM with ur number and Email. If anything does happen I will drop you a line if we get to set up a meeting.

p.s. Sorry if my punctuation is not up to par just give me a little while while I adjust. Sorry if this is kind of hard to read, I tried to fix my errors, but alas I'm no English teacher.
[quote=Ring'Em Up]I call games here in Paintsville on Saturdays during the winter, for a men's "church" league, but some of the guys aren't regular attenders of a church, jus attend every now and then or have friends that are members. Usually runs from like Oct to end of March, until softball league starts. Usually has about 12-14 teams (anywhere from 8-10 games a day) in each league, from Paintsville, Prestonsburg, Louisa, Salyersville. I know of a few members on here that have played in at least one of the leagues. He is right now in the process of getting ready to start the softball league. I believe there is a small entry fee of like $200 or so (which usually the church's activities fund or a sponsor takes care of), to cover for insurance and start-up, then he charges $20 a team each game to pay for referees and gym/field rental. So about 2 bucks per person is all it cost per game. Have concessions/drinks available and use one of the nicest gyms in the county. We also tried to get a flag-football league this past fall, but got a late start and really didnt get enuff interest in it the first try, but prob have it running this year. Anyone interested in softball thats starting in a few weeks, or even basketball or flag football for next season, let me know.,
And, like Wyatt was saying, the guy who runs the leagues, he is stern and doesnt put up with any crazy crap, i.e. arguing with refs, fighting, etc.[/quote

Is there anything that you can't call?

:ref1:
Anyone with questions or interested in the Johnson Co leagues, hit me up with a private message and I'll fill ya in on what ya need to do. They are all very good, organized leagues. Maybe not as competitve as, say the softball league at Archer park, they are mainly jus for recreation, but alot of teams that play in those type leagues, Bluegrass Games, etc, play in the Johnson Co league, so there are some really good teams also.