Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Worst Football Field to Play On?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Im from Fleming-Neon and it used to be terrible with the rocks, dirt and if it rained all the mud holes there wasnt grass at all. But now it is in good shape a really nice field!
Fleming Neon
Sheldon clark
Sheldon Clark....or Phelps when its wet.
Fleming Neon Back in the Day! Now it has one of the better Natural playing surfaces in Eastern Kentucky!
I played on Cawoods last season and I didn't think it was very good. Also Evarts field was pretty bad to. But I don't guess they are fields anymore cuz they all consolidated.
Meaty Wrote:I played on Cawoods last season and I didn't think it was very good. Also Evarts field was pretty bad to. But I don't guess they are fields anymore cuz they all consolidated.

Do you know if the new high school will have field turf or grass?
Shelby Valley was the worst field ever before they got turf.
warriorpride Wrote:Do you know if the new high school will have field turf or grass?

I have no clue. They are coming down here this season so I won't get to play on the new one.
Bath Co. field isn't that good either.
Hurley,VA is the worst field ever unless they got it fixed but about 2 years ago there was a slush pond, one of the players lost their cleats in that mess.
I agree Neon was the worst however, it is now in pretty good shape
Bath Co,West Carter....and ive always hated playing on fields with the small rubber pieces in the grass. lol....such as Flemings counties field.
I never cared for Sheldon Clark's field. Also hated Huntington High's field. We played a scrimmage there one year and every 5 yard line the grass was cut down to the dirt but the other 4 yards the grass was about an 1 1/2 inches above my ankle. I hope it was just like that since it was preseason and not how it is normally kept. It also didn't help that it had poured rain for a solid week beforehand.
Rowan Co- 1982, was so unlevel with holes, when we ran our 8-22, we ran into a hole and found a dumpster, well you get the point.

Man,Wv- 1983, no grass just shayle rock, it crunched when you walked on it with rubber cleats. Probably the best (sandlot) game ever played.

Vipperman Stadium-1983, was the first time in history a football game was played in an Olympic Size swimming pool. The only thing you could see were 8 orange markers, no sidelines. no lines could be seen on the field at all, due to 6 inches of water. The biggest pool I have ever swam in but not the deepest.

I can only speak of where I played..... And of course our current home stadium, THE HANK at Russell prolly has one of the most updated dirt fields in the business. When the "R" on the middle of the field stretches from sideline to sideline to cover the dirt patch, well........ lets just say that I am glad we are getting a new bermuda field this year.......Thats it and thanks.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Rowan Co- 1982, was so unlevel with holes, when we ran our 8-22, we ran into a hole and found a dumpster, well you get the point.

Man,Wv- 1983, no grass just shayle rock, it crunched when you walked on it with rubber cleats. Probably the best (sandlot) game ever played.

Vipperman Stadium-1983, was the first time in history a football game was played in an Olympic Size swimming pool. The only thing you could see were 8 orange markers, no sidelines. no lines could be seen on the field at all, due to 6 inches of water. The biggest pool I have ever swam in but not the deepest.

I can only speak of where I played..... And of course our current home stadium, THE HANK at Russell prolly has one of the most updated dirt fields in the business. When the "R" on the middle of the field stretches from sideline to sideline to cover the dirt patch, well........ lets just say that I am glad we are getting a new bermuda field this year.......Thats it and thanks.

Belfry at Russell in 1984 was played in an absolute monsoon also.
Fleming Neon-Enough Said
Virgies old field- There were potholes in that field big enough to fit a Buick in.
Wheelwright/South Floyds old field-Ive always heard that they had to call a game there once because they found a nest of copperheads in the one of the end zones.
Vipperman- The only field Ive ever seen that could be wet and muddy in the middle of a drought. I wonder if the fire station over next to the school had anything to do with that?????Wink
The last 2 or three times Ive been to Daniel Field at Hazard it hasnt been in the best shape either.
When I played (for Paintsville), Neon BY FAR was the worst. I had to get a tetnis (SP.) shot after the game up there my senior year, lol.
Redneck Wrote:When I played (for Paintsville), Neon BY FAR was the worst. I had to get a tetnis (SP.) shot after the game up there my senior year, lol.

Is that when your neck turned red?

:lmao:
out of the fields that i have played on, sheldon clark and morgan co.
OH I agree about Vipperman,, no rain for 6 weeks and then you get there and it was flooded.. It did not matter we came out on the winning side anyway.. Now for 1984, if you played in a monsoon then you had an idea of how the field was wet,, 1983 on the other hand,,, we will never know unless somebody actually knows how the field got flooded?? I would love to hear about it
For as nice as the stadium is, Lawrence County's playing surface is absolutely horrible.

I hear they're redoing it this summer though.
I remember going to some Phelps's games whenever Central was playing away and Phelps's field looked pretty bad. But that was when I was younger. About 8 years ago lol
THOMCAT Wrote:Is that when your neck turned red?

:lmao:

I think I mighta been born like that, lol.
my freshman year knott central was awful..rained alot and there was really 6 to8 inches of mudd and we got into a yellow jackets nest at halftime beside the fence
Phelps when its wet....Jenkins netime...Evarts all the time...South Floyd...and definitely the accomadations at Harlan Independent were horrible....we were put in a hole in the wall. Field was decent tho...lol
I remember playing at Fleming-Neon and it was TERRIBLE. I don't know what it's like now, but from 1999-2003 that field was rough.

Also, South Floyd's old field...I believe it was called the "snake pit." That one was pretty bad too.

We played a JV or Junior High game...can't remember which one, at Sheldon Clark and we wore our white away jerseys. At the end of the game all of us were covered in black.
The Old South Floyd field was terrible! IT looked like a water bed for a football field with all of the waves on the field! From our sidelines, you could barely see the opposing team because of how the field went up the closer you got to the middle, lol!
Yea it is kinda creepy when you play on a field like that, ours is almost as bad. people do say that from standing on the visitors sideline it just appears that players come out of the ground,,, well they are playing the DEVILS, you know.
South Floyd's old field was pretty bad.
Pages: 1 2 3