Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coach Gillispie talks about Josh Whitaker from Hazard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Coach Gillespie told Josh Whitaker from Hazard that if he continues to progress and work hard that he see's Josh playing for him at UK in the future. He has also asked Josh to attend his elite camp over the summer. Many have also made the comments that Whitaker is the most "heady" point guard they've seen in the state since the likes of Richie Farmer and Travis Ford.

Many of you probably doubt Whitaker's abilities, but this kid is for real. He made a believer out of me while watching him at the state tournament. All i can say is for Josh to keep working and the sky is the limit for you! Best of Luck!
Wow, that's awesome. He is a really good basketball player and him playing at UK doesn't seem like that far of a stretch to me.
I could see him playing for UK, he is a little short but it dont matter if you can get the job done.
I think he has the capabilities to make it, he will have to work a lot harder then any another player in this area. Plus he will need to take up on all the ELITE CAMP invitations. Wish you the best Whitaker!!!!
I was impressed with him against South Laurel. They face guarded him the whole game and he never forced anything, just let the game come to him. He is one of the better ball handlers that I've seen in a while.
I think it is great for some of our mountain boys getting looks from UK! Even if they don't work out, at least the Wildcats are looking our way once again! Hopefully though we can get a player or more on the UK team in the future!
Gillispie!

I wish the kid luck in his pursuit to play for UK, haven't had the opportunity to see him yet but the way you all are talking he is quite a talent.
BlackcatFootball Wrote:Gillispie!
Very Smart by him.
Tubby would only go after lexington guys and everyone knows Eastern Ky is the heart of basketball.
RavenBoy Wrote:Very Smart by him.
Tubby would only go after lexington guys and everyone knows Eastern Ky is the heart of basketball.
:thumpsup:
Congrats to Whiatker & obviously BCG knows more than I that 's why he gets the big bucks, but I cannot see this at all.
BulldogPride31 Wrote:Many have also made the comments that Whitaker is the most "heady" point guard they've seen in the state since the likes of Richie Farmer and Travis Ford.

I'm not even sure he is the best point guard in the mountains...
What year is he in?
He will be a junior this up and coming season 2008-2009. A great player indeed with work could play at UK. I seen him play alot of summer ball this past summer while he was at Knox Central.
RavenBoy Wrote:Very Smart by him.

I was just showing the proper spelling of his last name.
Ohh, I just heard his name and got me excited.
"I'm not even sure he is the best point guard in the mountains..."

who would be then?
When did Gilispie tell Whitaker this? Can he even talk to him if he is just a sophomore?
The kid has talent but to UK's caliber? He is very good and I could see him having real sucess at Morhead or Eastern. No disrespect whatsoever, I just don't know if he is athletic enough to play at such an elite level as UK however, if Perry Stevenson can play there then Josh should be able to play there because he's more talented than Stevenson. I could see both sides of this.
What about Stuart Stamper and Devin Blair? They are as talented as Whitaker maybe even more talented.
#1ukfan Wrote:if Perry Stevenson can play there then Josh should be able to play there because he's more talented than Stevenson. I could see both sides of this.
Stevenson might suck on Offense but he is actually pretty good on Defense.

uk96

I would love to see any east ky kid get to play for UK...Whitaker has two years left and that will be important to decide at what level he can compete...Uk already has a verbal commitment from the #1 rated soph point guard in the country out of Texas...Even if he doesnt get the opportunity at UK it helps when their coach shows interest in you....
This was a message relayed to him through the Hazard coaching staff. He is only a sophomore and has two years to develope. I think after playing in the state tourny he knows he has to get stronger and be more physical. Those are things he can improve with two years left.

Whitaker is more talented than Stamper and Blair. He handles the ball better, shoots it better, and may not take as many shots as the other two may. Don't get me wrong Stamper and Blair are great players and do well at their respected positions, but Whitaker is the best PG around and is the only one i see with the ability to play at that major D-1 level.

Like uk96 said, its just an honor for the University of Kentucky's coach to show interest in you and know who you are. Whether he plays at UK or not, he still should be proud!
BulldogPride31 Wrote:This was a message relayed to him through the Hazard coaching staff. He is only a sophomore and has two years to develope. I think after playing in the state tourny he knows he has to get stronger and be more physical. Those are things he can improve with two years left.

Whitaker is more talented than Stamper and Blair. He handles the ball better, shoots it better, and may not take as many shots as the other two may. Don't get me wrong Stamper and Blair are great players and do well at their respected positions, but Whitaker is the best PG around and is the only one i see with the ability to play at that major D-1 level.

Like uk96 said, its just an honor for the University of Kentucky's coach to show interest in you and know who you are. Whether he plays at UK or not, he still should be proud!

Now why couldnt you just say that last sentence you wrote instead of all that nonsense above it.
Does anyone have any stats for this kid?
Does anybody know if this is an actual fact or is it just hearsay? I'm just saying he's only a sophomore and if it turns out that this is not true, that puts a lot of pressure and young man for the next two years, for possibly no reason. Is there anyway to find out if this is true?
OMG Wrote:Does anybody know if this is an actual fact or is it just hearsay? I'm just saying he's only a sophomore and if it turns out that this is not true, that puts a lot of pressure and young man for the next two years, for possibly no reason. Is there anyway to find out if this is true?
I think a coach just told him that.
RavenBoy Wrote:I think a coach just told him that.

I know but who's to say whoever is saying the coach told him that is wrong? I mean I don't know either way, but I just don't want that kid to be overwhelmed with pressure for the next two years unless it's actually true.
Whitaker is the real deal. Was really impressed with the poise he showed in the 2 games Hazard played. With compliments like that from Coach Gillispie that has to make a player feel good especially a mountain player. Good luck to Josh in the future.
BulldogPride31 Wrote:"I'm not even sure he is the best point guard in the mountains..."

who would be then?

Justice from Shelby Valley.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Justice from Shelby Valley.

However Whitaker had an outstanding tournament.

Wonder what BCG would have said about Slone if he had seen him play against J-town?
Pages: 1 2 3