Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Dodd resigns as Russell’s coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
RUSSELL — Steve Dodd has resigned as boys basketball coach at Russell High School after leading the program for six years.

The Red Devils went 3-26 this season after advancing at least as far as the 16th Region Tournament semifinals the past five years.

“It was just time to move on,’’ Dodd said. “I felt it was in the best interest of the school and community for me to resign. I think they need to go in another direction.’’

Dodd, 52, said he has not made a decision as to whether he will remain at Russell as a teacher.

“My wife (Kay) and I will evaluate whether we want to stay in the area and take things from there,’’ Dodd said.

Kay is an English teacher at Russell High.

Dodd guided the Red Devils to a long-awaited regional championship in 2006 after a runner-up finish the previous year. Russell’s best record under Dodd was 27-5 during the 2006-07 season, which ended in the regional semifinals.
http://www.dailyindependent.com/localspo...23004.html
I'm not surprised at all to hear this. I know a lot of people were pretty fed up with him. I wonder if this was a forced resignation?
Just listening to the people in the area who have kids that played for him, it does not matter if it was. The next ?? is who is going to be the new coach.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Just listening to the people in the area who have kids that played for him, it does not matter if it was. The next ?? is who is going to be the new coach.

Would be nice to see Sam Sparks on the sidelines. But that will never happen.
Can you coach and be the AD????? Just wondering.... I think the next coach will be a surprise, I am thinking maybe a strong college player in recent history. Just a thought.
I have even heard the rumor of coach NOT being a teacher... lets hear it..
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Can you coach and be the AD????? Just wondering.... I think the next coach will be a surprise, I am thinking maybe a strong college player in recent history. Just a thought.

Yea you can be a coach and the AD. But it will be interesting to see who they go after.
Batpuff Wrote:Yea you can be a coach and the AD. But it will be interesting to see who they go after.
You can't at Russell. Sam Sparks will remain the AD.

Maybe Kidwell.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Can you coach and be the AD????? Just wondering.... I think the next coach will be a surprise, I am thinking maybe a strong college player in recent history. Just a thought.
Very doubtful.
OMG Wrote:I'm not surprised at all to hear this. I know a lot of people were pretty fed up with him. I wonder if this was a forced resignation?
You could say it was. I like Steve. He knows his basketball and IMO is a very good coach. I don't think many will dispute that. But too many bridges may have been burned.
Merle Kidwell would be the best choice in my eyes....Ive also heard that Dodd has shown interest in the Greenup coaching job.
FBALL Wrote:You could say it was. I like Steve. He knows his basketball and IMO is a very good coach. I don't think many will dispute that. But too many bridges may have been burned.
He is a very polarizing figure. I like his style, but not for Russell. I would like to see someone a little more humble. In talking with him I always got the impression that he thought he was doing Russell a favor.
Wouldn't it be nice to have someone like Marvelous Marv Merredith?

Sam Sparks was a really good basketball coach IMO and you can't blame him for taking the AD job.(prestige) I think Russell got a raw deal in a Dist Championship game with Greenup Co back in the late 1990's. He coached a heck of a game and the stripes gave the game to Greenup Co after their shot went in after the buzzer.
I'm sure after the last several years with Dodd, Russell will find a much better fit for the program. :devilflam
DevilsWin Wrote:He is a very polarizing figure. I like his style, but not for Russell. I would like to see someone a little more humble. In talking with him I always got the impression that he thought he was doing Russell a favor.
Wouldn't it be nice to have someone like Marvelous Marv Merredith?

Sam Sparks was a really good basketball coach IMO and you can't blame him for taking the AD job.(prestige) I think Russell got a raw deal in a Dist Championship game with Greenup Co back in the late 1990's. He coached a heck of a game and the stripes gave the game to Greenup Co after their shot went in after the buzzer.
I'm sure after the last several years with Dodd, Russell will find a much better fit for the program. :devilflam
I never got that feeling from him. That is not the bridges I was talking about. His coaching style and his personality were not the main issues.
From what I have seen, there are atleast 7 juniors that i can think of that have the ability to come out and make a difference. The only problem has been getting them out. Maybe with a coaching change this will happen. Most quit after the freshman year and a few others quit mid season leaving only one on the team. Nobody mentions these players but there is some talent roaming the halls that needs to be given a pair of shoes and a jersey.
well now they can show up and make a difference now right????????
FBALL Wrote:I never got that feeling from him. That is not the bridges I was talking about. His coaching style and his personality were not the main issues.

I have heard since he's been there, the way he treats his players is not quite as good as you treat a stray dog. That is strictly just rumor but I have heard that a few times on him.
devilologists, if that was a response to my post, then yes. Coach Dodd just never gave any signs of interest at all at developing these players after losing that crew with vanhoose that won region. But i know for fact that there will be increased interest in the basketball program by such players now that a new coach will be named.
Thanks RHSUK13, maybe i will actually come to a basketball game next year. Sad buy true, i have went 2 basketball games in the last 23 years.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Thanks RHSUK13, maybe i will actually come to a basketball game next year. Sad buy true, i have went 2 basketball games in the last 23 years.
Well old man you need to get out more. lmao
Batpuff Wrote:Well old man you need to get out more. lmao

There are hospital regulations against letting him out.Smile
Midee1 Wrote:There are hospital regulations against letting him out.Smile

I thought I was the only one that applied to. lol
Batpuff Wrote:I thought I was the only one that applied to. lol

Nope you would have to meet him to understand.

He just escaped the mental ward a couple of years ago.
OMG Wrote:I have heard since he's been there, the way he treats his players is not quite as good as you treat a stray dog. That is strictly just rumor but I have heard that a few times on him.
I don't think it is as bad as that. He is very demanding and does not have a sunny demeanor. That said I do think he really had kids best interest at heart. He definitely doesn't mind yelling.
Midee1 Wrote:Nope you would have to meet him to understand.

He just escaped the mental ward a couple of years ago.
]

HAHAHA but look at me and you know what I am talking about. I think I am am the one that escaped. lol
After being on a psych unit for 14 years I have finally got to leave. Yea Midee1 I left inAugust.. right before football seasoln
coach dodd knows his basketball. most kids these days won't go through the punishment to get the rewards. they want everything handed to them with any critisism. very good coach though.
I agree, Coach Dodd knows basketball, but if you can't relay that knowledge effectively to players, especially high school age, then that knowledge makes no difference, you have to be able to relate and have good communication to the players. Maybe he can do that better at the college level or maybe not.
Heard a name last night for the replacement, it should be a great changte for the team. This guy has a great record and knows basletball too. I think the boys will come out and support him. He knows all the kids already so that should give you a hint.
Are you referring to the long time freshman coach?
nope
I'm pretty sure I know who your talking about
Pages: 1 2